or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung LNxxC630 Calibration/Settings Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Samsung LNxxC630 Calibration/Settings Thread - Page 8

post #211 of 800
Quote:


here are some new settings, these one are for a 55" SQ01-2010 with striping that has broken in for over a month and been upgraded to firmware 1021 your mileage may vary (my last full set were the above only firmware 1007 and only broken in a couple weeks):

movie mode
backlight 6
contrast 90 (tehcnically it probably bumps up the top few shades a bit much and maybe 86 or something would be more techincally correct if with less pop but whatever maybe i'll try that some other time)

contrast 90
brightness 44
sharpness 0
color 51
tint 50/50
eco off
black tone off
dynamic off
shadow detail 0
gamma +1
color space custom - use the same values as in my most recent posting that has them, make sure to change them to those settings
actually here they are again:
R 37,1,0
G 28,50,1
B 4,5,59
C 18,52,61
M 39,3,55
Y 50,50,1
WB offsets r,g,b 25,24,24
gains 20,27,27
10pwb level,r,g,b:
1 7,4,6
2 0,-1,0
3 -4,-5,-6
4 -3,-4,-7
5 -1,-3,-6
6 -1,-1,-6
7 1,1,-3
8 0,2,-1
9 1,3,1
10 1,1,1
flesh tone 0
edge off
warm2
screen fit
DNR off
MPEG DNR off
hdmi black level as needed (Normal for most PC stuff, Low for most other stuff; Normal when you send it 0-255 and Low when you send it 16-235)

-
I use this set of your advanced calibrations and my LN46c630 SQ01 looks AWESOME! The blacks are so black and the whites so white and the colors really are true and vibrant. I have tried, after watching these settings for a couple weeks, using the presets, even BDWise, and keep going back because it looks sooooo much better. I will admit that I tweaked the dynamic contrast to low and the AMP to custom at 9 on the first slider and 3 on the second slider. Other than that the rest of your settings stand er... I mean are Outstanding. My TV is in a dark room with little sunlight due to the shade trees all around my home. Thank you so much.
post #212 of 800
One thing I should add is that that last set of calibrations is neither ideal for a really well lit room with lots of sun coming in or a dark as night viewing room. I plan to go back and make one at gamma 2.35 instead of 2.2 for really dark room viewing (as in at night with no lights on other than maybe a distant, very weak and not directly seen bias light).
post #213 of 800
Thanks Skibum, noted. My viewing room (living room) is really optimal, in that during the day it has sooo much shade and at night my TV is in an entertainment center with a overhead backlight in the TV space. No eye strain or reflections to deal with EVER. Again, I love this TV and your settings. Screenies would never do it justice, but maybe I'll post some.
post #214 of 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

New Numbers

Source: HDMI1

Mode: Movie
Backlight: 10
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 47
Sharpness: 7
Color: 63
Tint (G/R): G50/R50
Eco Solution: All off

Advanced Settings

Black Tone: Off
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Shadow Detail: 0
Gamma: +1
Expert Pattern: Off
RGB Only Mode: Off

Color Space: Custom
Red R31, G0, B0
Green R0, G45, B0
Blue R0, B0, B66
Yellow R50, G50, B0
Cyan R0, G48, G53
Magenta R39, G0, B58

White Balance:
Red offset 26
G 24
B 22
Red Gain 26
G 24
B 22

10 Pt white balance on
1) R1, G-2, B-1
2) R-1, G0, B0
3) R1, G0, B-1
4) R1, G0, B0
5) R1, G0, B-1
6) R0, G0, B1
7) R1, G0, B0
8) R0, G0, B0
9) R2, G0, B-5
10) R0, G0, B-2

Flesh Tone: 0
Edge Enhancement: Off

Picture Options:
Color Tone: Warm 2`
Size: 19:9
Digital Noise Filter: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
Film Mode; Off
Auto Motion Plus 120hz: Standard
Auto Protection Time: 2 hours

A short explanation: The calibration was done using a Chroma 5 Colorimeter and ChromaPure software. I am an enthusiast, nothing more, and also new at calibrating with a meter. Calibration was done in a very dark room and the signal was from a Blu-Ray player via HDMI. The TV is going to be viewed mostly in daylight in a VERY bright room in Florida and only with coaxial cable (ComCast) plugged directly into the TV - no cable box. I copied the above HDMI numbers to the TV while in the TV Input mode with a local channel HD signal selected. The picture with the 40" SQ02 Matte panel is excellent and I could not be more satisfied.

The factory Movie mode setup was not very good. Examples (averages):

Pre Calibration Post Calibration
Gray Scale CIE94 10.9 1.3
CCT 8931 6600
Gamma 2.45 2.29

A couple of charts - my Magenta problem persists so I'll be asking for a little help to tame it.

Before
Attachment 174868

After
Attachment 174869

Despite the Magenta spike, the picture is awesome, day or night. I have yet to play with the back light and other enhancements but that will be coming of course.

One more thing: I transferred the numbers with an TV HD signal playing. I now notice that if I switch to a SD signal the new inputs are NOT there so (I guess) I would have to input the numbers while playing SD. However, being non-digital, they probably would be meaningless.

Buzz

These settings seem to work the best for me. iI have c63040 SQ02 panel very little banding.
post #215 of 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

New Numbers

Color Space: Custom
Red R31, G0, B0
Green R0, G45, B0
Blue R0, B0, B66
Yellow R50, G50, B0
Cyan R0, G48, G53
Magenta R39, G0, B58




A couple of charts - my Magenta problem persists so I'll be asking for a little help to tame it.



Buzz

to tame the magenta luminance you need to give less R and G instead of 39,0,58 maybe say 32,0,50 or something who knows but along those lines

you can do similar for some of the others too
post #216 of 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum5000 View Post

to tame the magenta luminance you need to give less R and G instead of 39,0,58 maybe say 32,0,50 or something who knows but along those lines

you can do similar for some of the others too

Thanks, skibum, I'll try that and see how it results on the chart when I get back to my 630 in October.

Buzz
post #217 of 800
Om abit confuse.
With a PS3 what are the best setting when it comes to RGB FULL range aand HDMI Black Level.

Sorry if the question was already ask by another but I still dont get it...
post #218 of 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

I just ordered a 40" 630 today and I should be taking delivery on May 4th (hey, my birthday). I'm presently reading the owner's manual and I see that there are some excellent calibration features available in the user menu when in the movie mode. I think that's Samsung's 2010 new deal to keep us from messing around in the service menu. LOL

What's the access code to get to the service menu for the Samsung LN40C630K1F? I agree that the Samsung's user menu is much more detailed than other sets I've owned, but I've accessed the service menu for other sets and have found them quite useful if you are careful to record where you start so that you can return to the previous settings if needed. Usually the access code is a series of keystrokes entered from the remote control.
post #219 of 800
Does anyone have recommended settings for the C650/C670 or is the C630 close enough that settings in this thread will work well? Has anyone that owns the 650/670 tried 630 settings and had good results?

I just purchased the C670 for our bonus room and right now I am not really happy with the PQ. I am used to a Pioneer Kuro that we hav e in the living room and I realize the 670 will never be that good but right now it isn't even close. The settings are still factory so I am hoping that changing the settings will improve the PQ. Thanks!
post #220 of 800
Hi there i asked this on the owners thread but nobody replied, i said that i dont like grain and that i know all films have but is there something i can do to reduce it thanks in advance.
post #221 of 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAVES07 View Post

Hi there i asked this on the owners thread but nobody replied, i said that i dont like grain and that i know all films have but is there something i can do to reduce it thanks in advance.

you can turn up the noise filters (but that will also eat away detail and personally I hate the fake waky, lo-res but grain-free look)

dial up the DNR options
post #222 of 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron thorne View Post

Does anyone have recommended settings for the C650/C670 or is the C630 close enough that settings in this thread will work well? Has anyone that owns the 650/670 tried 630 settings and had good results?

I just purchased the C670 for our bonus room and right now I am not really happy with the PQ. I am used to a Pioneer Kuro that we hav e in the living room and I realize the 670 will never be that good but right now it isn't even close. The settings are still factory so I am hoping that changing the settings will improve the PQ. Thanks!

many of the calibs here were actually done on the 650
post #223 of 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerfin View Post

What's the access code to get to the service menu for the Samsung LN40C630K1F? I agree that the Samsung's user menu is much more detailed than other sets I've owned, but I've accessed the service menu for other sets and have found them quite useful if you are careful to record where you start so that you can return to the previous settings if needed. Usually the access code is a series of keystrokes entered from the remote control.

Don't screw it up

Buzz
post #224 of 800
Thanks Buzz.

One of the main reasons that I built a couple of Heathkit color TVs is so that I could make adjustments to suit my taste and tweak them as necessary. It certainly wasn't because of cost. That was back in the days when you had to do things from behind the set with a mirror to see what you were doing. Today things are much simpler since everything is digital and there is numerical feedback.

I always write down the numbers before I start messing with any adjustments. Then I can always return to my starting point if I don't like the changes. Even that is getting simpler. I visited the URL that you cited and there is an option to "factory reset."

Thanks for your help and advice.
post #225 of 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerfin View Post

Thanks Buzz.

One of the main reasons that I built a couple of Heathkit color TVs

Wow, I remember those days but I bet there are a lot of people saying what is a Heathkit? Find a Popular Mechanics Magazine from the 50's or 60's........
post #226 of 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum View Post

Wow, I remember those days but I bet there are a lot of people saying what is a Heathkit? Find a Popular Mechanics Magazine from the 50's or 60's........

Yeah, they probably don't remember tube testers either.

I loved that routine of taking months to solder all the wires and circuit boards and then the euphoria (or dispair.....) of finally plugging it in. If it didn't work the first time (mine usually didn't) HK had an excellent decision tree that generally showed you exactly what was wrong. But my main reason for building the sets was to remove (or at least minimize) the purple or green faces on actors, remove convergence problems, and do other adjustments that were not possible from the adjustment knobs (there weren't menus back then except for restaurants).
post #227 of 800
Quote:


many of the calibs here were actually done on the 650

Thanks, I will give your settings a try and see it how it looks.
post #228 of 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum5000 View Post

you can turn up the noise filters (but that will also eat away detail and personally I hate the fake waky, lo-res but grain-free look)

dial up the DNR options

Thanks skibum , i have another question what can i doo to give more of a pop to the picture i cant realy find a good setting its eather to bright or to dark and im using a ps3 and i put hdmi on low and rgb on full mabey thats why it looks dark but if i but it o normal its not as clear it looks like cloudy any reacomadations..Thanks
post #229 of 800
Hi,

I'm setting my Ps3 to RGB FULL and my Hdmi Black to Normal. One of my friend is telling me that I should set it RGB Limited and HDMI BLACK to LOW.

Is that true? And why?


Thank you so much guys 
post #230 of 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum View Post

Wow, I remember those days but I bet there are a lot of people saying what is a Heathkit? Find a Popular Mechanics Magazine from the 50's or 60's........

I use to love going to the store that they had in NJ with my dad. Actually Heath Electronics was in Fair Lawn NJ.

I built a lot of stuff with my dad. The last time I remember was around 1980.

Ah Memories. Thanks I'm getting old
post #231 of 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAVES07 View Post

Thanks skibum , i have another question what can i doo to give more of a pop to the picture i cant realy find a good setting its eather to bright or to dark and im using a ps3 and i put hdmi on low and rgb on full mabey thats why it looks dark but if i but it o normal its not as clear it looks like cloudy any reacomadations..Thanks

yeah using low with full will chop off the lowest and highest 16 shades

if it looks cloudy then the set probably has clouds, seems a lot of that this year
you could try cranking up contrast to maybe 95, the settings won't quite match that big of a change but ti would give a bit more pop, not sure it would remove clouds though
post #232 of 800
Sorry for the noob question, but I have to ask. I went and adjusted using Skibum's settings for my 650 and what a difference. The only problem I have is I can not find the 10 pt white menu.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for the awesome site too...I have a bad feeling this is going to become an unhealthy habit for me....
post #233 of 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum5000 View Post

yeah using low with full will chop off the lowest and highest 16 shades

if it looks cloudy then the set probably has clouds, seems a lot of that this year
you could try cranking up contrast to maybe 95, the settings won't quite match that big of a change but ti would give a bit more pop, not sure it would remove clouds though

And what about setting dynamic contrast to low? does that help
post #234 of 800
I have an SQ02 panel. Can someone recommend settings for watching SD cable? I only have 4 hd channels. So I'd like some settings (digital enhancements are fine by me) that make the SD content look less blurry during daytime viewing. Most setting recommendations listed up here are great for movie watching at night, but not so much for SD TV watching, which is itself just blurry and nasty
post #235 of 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZooCrew View Post

Sorry for the noob question, but I have to ask. I went and adjusted using Skibum's settings for my 650 and what a difference. The only problem I have is I can not find the 10 pt white menu.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for the awesome site too...I have a bad feeling this is going to become an unhealthy habit for me....

it's right under white balance
you have to turn it to on and then enter the submenu
post #236 of 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident_Lisa View Post

Hi,

I'm setting my Ps3 to RGB FULL and my Hdmi Black to Normal. One of my friend is telling me that I should set it RGB Limited and HDMI BLACK to LOW.

Is that true? And why?


Thank you so much guys 

You can either set RGB Full, HDMI Black level Normal; or RGB Limited, HDMI level Low. They will be the same regardless. You might as well set your RGB Full and HDMI Level Normal.

For Blu-Ray playback leave it at Auto or Y/Cb/Cr. The HDMI black level will be greyed out anyway so it won't matter.
post #237 of 800
Hi is it true that the terminator skynet edicion bring a calibration option fore tvs, cause i just orderd it and would like to know if its ture and if so how usful is it ..
post #238 of 800
I cannot access HDMI black level or Film Mode from my C670. Both are greyed out. Does anyone know how I can enable these? All of the calibration settings say low for HDMI black level and mine is stuck on normal.
post #239 of 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jottle View Post

I have an SQ02 panel. Can someone recommend settings for watching SD cable? I only have 4 hd channels. So I'd like some settings (digital enhancements are fine by me) that make the SD content look less blurry during daytime viewing. Most setting recommendations listed up here are great for movie watching at night, but not so much for SD TV watching, which is itself just blurry and nasty

Once you get accustomed to watching HD it is almost painful to view SD content. There is little you can do to get a noticeable improvement, at least on an HD TV. Try the sharpness control. It adds artificiality but may improve the overall appearance. Decrease contrast because if it's too high you might be clipping. After that, turn down the color control and see if you can find some satisfaction.

Buzz
post #240 of 800
For watching dvd's (not bluray), should the hdmi black level be set to low or normal? It seems that based on the recommendations here, it's best to set it for low when watching SD dvd's. Just wanted to double check here one last time.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Samsung LNxxC630 Calibration/Settings Thread