or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official Samsung PNxxC6500, PNxxC7000, and PNxxC8000 Settings Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Samsung PNxxC6500, PNxxC7000, and PNxxC8000 Settings Thread - Page 20

post #571 of 1472
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

I'm with you on that -- don't believe breaking plasmas in. I'm also not a believer in using other people's settings, except as a source of potentially good ideas to try out. Production units differ, and so require different user adjustments, and as well need readjustments as they age. That's a major reason for providing the controls. If there was a single set of optimum adjustments that would work for everyone's TVs, the Samsung engineers would have set it up that way from the start (at least as a selectable mode for home use) -- they're no dummies. I'll certainly try out Mantisboxer's settings to see if they improve the picture on my set, but I'm going to be looking at the picture, too.

I disagree, i did break in slides, and glad i did. Yes every TV has a set amount of time. Current plasmas are rated around 60,000-70,000 hours. That works out to if you watch tv EVERY DAY for 12 hours straight, it would take 13.7 years to go through the sets limit of 60,000 hours. Yes picture does degrade over time, but still, I find the 200 hours of break in slides is worth it for me, to enjoy the rest of the time i have the TV.

Also I believe in using mantis settings as a start point, and then tweaking as i see fit. they are still 100 times better then any default mode the TV came with.
post #572 of 1472
Anyone try the new 1022.1 firmware update?
post #573 of 1472
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post

Anyone try the new 1022.1 firmware update?

I am using it. No issues that I noticed.

Dave
post #574 of 1472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calilife17 View Post

I disagree, i did break in slides, and glad i did.

Why are you glad? Are you assuming your PQ is better because of the slides?

Dave
post #575 of 1472
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkegel View Post

Why are you glad? Are you assuming your PQ is better because of the slides?

Dave

No I don't think my Picture Quality is better because i did break-in slides vs not doing break-in slides. The reasons i did it was when i first got my tv and watched just for a bit, maybe an hour or less, there was a lot of IR, and that was bugging me, so I did break-in slides. Plus also did it for just peace of mind. break-in slides reduced IR a lot for me, and just gave me peace of mind that every phosphors was getting evenly broken in. I know if i just watched TV it would also do the same thing, but i just found break-in slides the better option.
post #576 of 1472
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkegel View Post

I am using it. No issues that I noticed.

Dave

What changes did you notice in regards to color, brightness etc. Also did you notice an improvement to some of the issues discussed in this forum like the pixel issue and i believe its called the MLL bug?
post #577 of 1472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calilife17 View Post

No I don't think my Picture Quality is better because i did break-in slides vs not doing break-in slides. The reasons i did it was when i first got my tv and watched just for a bit, maybe an hour or less, there was a lot of IR, and that was bugging me, so I did break-in slides. Plus also did it for just peace of mind. break-in slides reduced IR a lot for me, and just gave me peace of mind that every phosphors was getting evenly broken in. I know if i just watched TV it would also do the same thing, but i just found break-in slides the better option.

I did the same thing, for the same reason.(200hrs of slides and full screen content.) Glad I did it, but to each his own.
post #578 of 1472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizazter68 View Post

What changes did you notice in regards to color, brightness etc. Also did you notice an improvement to some of the issues discussed in this forum like the pixel issue and i believe its called the MLL bug?

I didn't notice any difference, but I'm not near as picky as most here. I don't mess with the Cal Day/night stuff (mine's a c7000) so I don't see the MLL issue. I just use Movie mode, and BD Wise and enjoy the picture.

Dave
post #579 of 1472
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkegel View Post

I didn't notice any difference, but I'm not near as picky as most here. I don't mess with the Cal Day/night stuff (mine's a c7000) so I don't see the MLL issue. I just use Movie mode, and BD Wise and enjoy the picture.

Dave

I have both these characteristics, not deal breakers for me, but wouldn't want to loose any PQ with an update as some have reported. As to the MLL, well i have to say that when its in the lighter stage it's still pretty darn black. I compare it to nightfall outside my window under a porch and no lights near by, TV is still darker.
post #580 of 1472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizazter68 View Post

I have both these characteristics, not deal breakers for me, but wouldn't want to loose any PQ with an update as some have reported. As to the MLL, well i have to say that when its in the lighter stage it's still pretty darn black. I compare it to nightfall outside my window under a porch and no lights near by, TV is still darker.

Do you have a link to the reports of a loss of PQ with the update? I haven't heard that.

Dave
post #581 of 1472
The Panel MLL bug occurs with every preset and affects both the C7000 (converted or uncoverted) and the C8000. I've only observed the problem when exiting 3D or Samsung apps.

The last firmware did change the PQ of the MOVIE preset for me. CAL-NIGHT looks the same. I posted my observations here...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post18848486
post #582 of 1472
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkegel View Post

Do you have a link to the reports of a loss of PQ with the update? I haven't heard that.

Dave

As KOFFAS stated I've used the same mantis settings in movie, dynamic as in the CAL modes and it does not look the same, thing is I'm running the 1020 firmware. I reed through 3 threads randomly but there are a few others that have this issue. In my case picture looks washed out in movie and bright and clear in either CAL.
post #583 of 1472
hey guys, I've created a Testcard for 3D TVs to check how much Crosstalk the TV produces.

It's a .jpg image in 1920x1080 in side by side 3D. Please test it with your C8000, I've checked mine today and i was a little bit shocked how much crosstalk I got.

This is the Testcard:


Download it in FullHD here:
http://g-vision.de/files/3D_Testcard_SidebySide.jpg

It would be great when you try to make some pictures from your set through the glasses to compare the crosstalk. I'll upload some pictures later. Perhaps this testcard also helps to create some settings with less crosstalk.
post #584 of 1472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glomby View Post

hey guys, I've created a Testcard for 3D TVs to check how much Crosstalk the TV produces.

It's a .jpg image in 1920x1080 in side by side 3D. Please test it with your C8000, I've checked mine today and i was a little bit shocked how much crosstalk I got.

This is the Testcard:


Download it in FullHD here:
http://g-vision.de/files/3D_Testcard_SidebySide.jpg

It would be great when you try to make some pictures from your set through the glasses to compare the crosstalk. I'll upload some pictures later. Perhaps this testcard also helps to create some settings with less crosstalk.

d

I'm not familiar with many terms when it comes to picture settings and problems. I've had my display for about 1 month now and have only watched about 10 minutes of the 3d disc that came with the set and it looked fine to me. The 2d to 3d conversion is useless in my opinion. What is the purpose of this test jpg? If I do this and see crosstalk, can crosstalk be corrected or would I be looking for a deficiency that would just annoy me every time I watch a 3d movie? Sometimes ignorance is bliss.
post #585 of 1472
Oh no dont worry about this. This is just a Testcard, you will see the Crosstalk with it because this is made to make it clearly visible but crosstalk in movies looks different. So when you can't see ist before using the card you wont' see it after.

It would be nice, if we can get some information about how much crosstalk this tv actualy has and also if you can get a set with more or less crosstalk.
So just test it by closing one eye and check for shadows of the other image.

And making some pictures through your glasses would be even better but they have to represent your actual crosstalk. So check how it looks like and try to make a picture which represents this as best as possible
post #586 of 1472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glomby View Post

hey guys, I've created a Testcard for 3D TVs to check how much Crosstalk the TV produces.

How did you view the image? From connected bd player or PC?
I tried some in the shop from usb but with jpg's I couldnt enable 3D only with movie files.

Here is couple more testpics:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopi...p=42282#p42282
post #587 of 1472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanite View Post

How did you view the image? From connected bd player or PC?
I tried some in the shop from usb but with jpg's I couldnt enable 3D only with movie files.

I had the .jpg on my laptop and used the PC share manager on the TV. I could enable 3D.
post #588 of 1472
How does the C6500 compare to the G25?
post #589 of 1472
David Katzmaier has posted his picture settings for the C7000. I believe he calibrates against a blu-ray. But, based on my DirecTV picture, these settings look washed out. BD-WISE controls the settings for my blu-ray and creates an excellent picture. Not sure why there's a discrepancy.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19410_10...;forum-threads
Quote:


Samsung PN50C7000 picture settings
by katzmaier - 7/13/10 1:13 PM
Review:
[coming soon]

Related products:
Samsung PN58C7000
Samsung PN63C7000

Below you'll find the settings we found best for viewing the Samsung PN50C7000 in a dark room via the HDMI input with a 1080p, film-based source. Your settings may vary depending on source, room conditions, and personal preference. Check out the Picture settings and calibration FAQ for more information.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9996461-1.html

--Picture menu
Mode: Movie
Cell Light: 16
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 51
Sharpness: 0
Color: 47
Tint: G50/R50

Eco Solution submenu:
Energy Saving: Off
Eco Sensor: Off
No Signal Power Off: Off

Auto Adjustment and Screen submenus: [Grayed out]

Advanced settings submenu
Black tone: Off
Dynamic contrast: Off
Gamma: +1
Expert Patters: Off
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color space: Auto
White Balance: [see below]
10p White Balance: On
Flesh tone: 0
Edge enhancement: Off
xvYCC: Off

White balance submenu
R-Offset: 24
G-Offset: 25
B-Offset: 24
R-Gain: 25
G-Gain: 25
B-Gain: 23

10p White Balance: On
Interval 1: Red 2, Green 0, Blue -2
Interval 2: Red 5, Green 6, Blue 8
Interval 3: Red 2, Green -1, Blue -2
Interval 4: Red -1, Green 1, Blue 2
Interval 5: Red 3, Green 1, Blue -1
Interval 6: Red 0, Green 0, Blue 1
Interval 7: Red -4, Green -4, Blue -5
Interval 8: Red -1, Green -4, Blue -3
Interval 9: Red -4, Green -4, Blue -5
Interval 10: Red 0, Green -6, Blue -4

Picture options submenu
Color tone: Warm2
Size: Screen Fit
Digital Noise Filter: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI black level: Normal [grayed out]
Film mode: Off [grayed out]
Screen Burn Protection: [N/A]

3D submenu
3D Mode: Off
3D AutoView; On
[remaining options grayed out]
post #590 of 1472
Quote:
Originally Posted by koffas View Post

David Katzmaier has posted his picture settings for the C7000. I believe he calibrates against a blu-ray. But, based on my DirecTV picture, these settings look washed out. BD-WISE controls the settings for my blu-ray and creates an excellent picture. Not sure why there's a discrepancy.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19410_10...;forum-threads

I don't understand the whole 0 sharpness business I think it looks like hell.
post #591 of 1472
Does anyone have calibration settings for the C8000?
post #592 of 1472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demorion View Post

I don't understand the whole 0 sharpness business I think it looks like hell.

Agreed. The font on the DirecTV guide blurs at that setting. He stipulates that this is for a film-based source.
post #593 of 1472
Could someone please post the "film/slides" link for break-in of a PN58C8000 which I just purchased.

Thanks!
post #594 of 1472
I'm on a tight budget and i'm stuck between the 50C7000 or 8000...could someone help me determine if the extra 200 dollars is worth going with the 8000 (the dark filter, etc.)
post #595 of 1472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demorion View Post

I don't understand the whole 0 sharpness business I think it looks like hell.

No, 0 sharpness shows the picture just as it comes in. Any higher value sharpens the picture artificially. I use sharpness 0 with my c6500 (and have used it during the last 5 years with my Samsung PS42S5H) and can say the picture is as sharp as it should be.
post #596 of 1472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremer28259 View Post


No, 0 sharpness shows the picture just as it comes in. Any higher value sharpens the picture artificially. I use sharpness 0 with my c6500 (and have used it during the last 5 years with my Samsung PS42S5H) and can say the picture is as sharp as it should be.

Maybe for movies sure but for gaming it looks like crap all the text and maps gets blurred. I tried it on a bluray and it was fine but gaming is another story
post #597 of 1472
Some of you are probably already privy to this, but for those that are not, I thought I would pass it along.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19410_10...;forum-threads

Settings that CNET's reviewer posted for the C7000. I own a PN50C6500 and I tried the settings last night and I have to say they look really great! Even on SD content. Can't wait to pop in a Blu-ray and test them out at 1080p.

Obviously - every set is different so settings in general don't necessarily "work" universally. But it may be a starting point to tweak from or may look great as they are. Check 'em out if you like!
post #598 of 1472
Hey guys,

I`ve had my PN58C8000 for about a month now and am thrilled with it. I do have one small issue though. It seems when I play a movie on my Blu-Ray player, the top and bottom of the screen blur out. It loks like about 3 to 4 lines of pixels that are either brighter than the rest or just not in focus. I don't know if you quite understand what I mean... if not, I will try to post some pics later on. Any ideas if it has to do with the settings?

Any suggestions are appreciated,

Regards,

Mike Mavis
post #599 of 1472
Can anyone please tell me what color space is/does? Go menu-picture-advanced settings color space. There is auto, native, and custom. Im using direct tv h24. IMO it looks a lot better in native. Looks like it darkens a little. What is recommended to use and why?? Also imo dynamic contrast looks good low is this ok or does it hinder other pq qualities? Any help would be much appreciated! ( Im at about 200 hrs )
__________________
post #600 of 1472
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMavis View Post

Hey guys,

I`ve had my PN58C8000 for about a month now and am thrilled with it. I do have one small issue though. It seems when I play a movie on my Blu-Ray player, the top and bottom of the screen blur out. It loks like about 3 to 4 lines of pixels that are either brighter than the rest or just not in focus. I don't know if you quite understand what I mean... if not, I will try to post some pics later on. Any ideas if it has to do with the settings?

Any suggestions are appreciated,

Regards,

Mike Mavis

change the screen size to "screen fit" instead of 16:9
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › The Official Samsung PNxxC6500, PNxxC7000, and PNxxC8000 Settings Thread