Originally Posted by raistline
This is not an issue with the speakers per say, but it is a general issue with all of electronics and household electrical setup.
If the electronics in the speakers were not setup for surge protection correctly, had a bag capacitor or whatever, it could destroy the circuit board or even start a fire.
If your home wiring was not grounded properly, pulling the plug while while power is still running could create a spark and a fire.
I don't understand? I do that all the time and have for years, I plug 'em in hot too (speakers that is). I do a lot of swapping out and adjusting, and acoustic memory can really suck (mine can anyway). This is how I do it, and NEVER had a problem with anything. Of course, I don't do this with the volume cranking, but it won't hurt nothing.
I know once I did shut down my amp though. I forgot to take off the jumpers when bi-wiring (trying it out) on one of my speakers, when I plugged it in the amp went into protection mode (I was trying to see if I could hear a differenc with bi-wiring.... I guess you could say I could) but no electrical fire, hence why the amp shut off (it went into protect mode). Oh, amp is an H/K PA2000, not exactly an uber expensive or newer amp.
I wouldn't worry about it, you won't do any harm at all.