or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1020-K Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1020-K Owner's Thread - Page 33

post #961 of 4530
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytonytony View Post

hey gang, just hooked up my 1020 and having a few issues. True noob here, so sorry if this is too basic. I have a Samsung TV and Samsung Blu-Ray hooked up to two HDMI slots (Blu Ray = #2, TV = #1). Also using DirecTV. When I shut the unit off along with the TV and directv receiver and turn it back on how do I get it to go to what I want to be the default input (HDMI #2). I have read and reread the manual. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Seems to choose what input is starts up on randomnly.

TonyTonyTony

You can't (short of using a Harmony remote).

You can make receiver switch to TV input on powerup, by enabling HDMI-CEC. But then you can't assign HDMI port to TV input.
post #962 of 4530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesaba View Post

Newbie here - I've got my BD going through the receiver then to a new plasma TV and when big things start moving (panning during close ups of people for example) the picture really gets jittery and when I connect the BD to the TV directly there is no jitter. Ya think setting it to pass through would fix that as well? (at work so I can't try it right now)

Thanks!

BD going through the receiver (good) and? BD to a new plasma TV (not good)
If thats your setup? I could be looking/understanding it the wrong way I have the BD into receiver HDMI and HDMI from receiver to Plasma, works great.
post #963 of 4530
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

Yup, as I stated it is hdmi with bitstream otherwise it would show pcm, not DTS correct? In the last test I selected dolby true hd, it showed DTS on the display. What is secondary audio, do you mean another language?

This was working in the Yamaha that had the exact same setup.

Apparently it only plays chick flicks. The other day we watched Valentines Day and it showed dts hd.

The only other thing that is different is that I was using my projector before, this time it was a plasma tv (projector is dead). That should be fixed shortly, but both were getting the hdmi from the receiver.
post #964 of 4530
I have had this unit for a week, and... after a few easy fixes (read the manuel) I'm very satisfied.

I have Bose 901's, Bose Acustic..5's W/Bass, tech center and tech side walls speakers. "Wow" talk about sound.... I have had Pioneer products for awhile and this really is a great deal. All speakers are ran thru small ( I thought the 901's would be large) I pushed this unit hard and the 901's howled... I need ear protection and kept the draps closed for window protection. I cannot see where anyone would go above -0db unless your running a club. It could be the speakers? but the unit was so clear and to hear notes that I could not pick up before was incredible . It's like a one stop shop, Currently have components BD, WII, SAT, CD, ipod touch wifi with radio station APS (free).

So here's my question: My HT is located upstairs and my wirless is down stairs, I have Dish Sat. I need some examples of how you set up your CAT 5 cable. I dont want to run CAT5 around the house.
post #965 of 4530
Quote:
Originally Posted by stagbrewery1010 View Post

So here's my question: My HT is located upstairs and my wirless is down stairs, I have Dish Sat. I need some examples of how you set up your CAT 5 cable. I dont want to run CAT5 around the house.

This is a question for another forum, but to get you started it would probably be easiest to buy a wireless bridge and place it upstairs, plugging the receiver into that. You can also investigate ethernet-over-power or ethernet-over-coax.
post #966 of 4530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin57 View Post

Anyone get the IPhone app working? IControlAV..

I contacted customer support because I kept getting Error Code: B27001, B17001 or B22001

The problem was solved once I followed these directions exactly, "Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics, Inc.

Recommended Solutions:
Turn on the Pioneer receiver. Make sure that there is an ethernet cable connected between the Wi-Fi router and the receiver. Make sure there is no firewall preventing access. Unplug power to the router, then turn power off to the receiver and lastly get out of the iControlAV application. Plug in power to the router and wait a minute, then turn on the receiver and wait 20 seconds and lastly run the iControlAV application. Make sure that the receiver can see the Wi-Fi router, to check network settings in the receiver go into the Home Menu, System Setup then Network Setup."

I think the firewall was my main problem.
post #967 of 4530
FYI when using a Samsung BD6900 with the 1020, the 3D auto mode on the BD player does not work. Not a big deal, but you need to select 3D mode vs. Auto or 2D to get the correct playback from the BD player. I had it in auto mode and the 3D wasn't working properly. I initially freaked and thought there was an issue passing the signal through the 1020, but works fine if you manually put the BD in 3D mode.
post #968 of 4530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creavin View Post

Hello, Is anyone having trouble playing music or video through the 1020 after downloading the new iphone 4.0 OS? I wonder how Pioneer is going to fix this.

Hey there, I got the receiver a few weeks back and just updated my 3G iPhone to the 4.0 OS. I just got the "Connecting ..." message on my screen as I hooked up my phone for the first time. My wife's 3G 3.1.3 OS worked well. I just rebooted my phone and the second time I connected it, things came right up and I could play music. I was also thinking it was something w/ the OS and the receiver, but perhaps a simple phone reboot could help you out.
post #969 of 4530
I'm buying this for my Mom's Birthday.
Their TV room is tiny. 10X12.
So Power is not an issue.
I thought the MCACC would really help in such a small room?
Are most owners happy with this unit?
Anything to watch out for?
Best buy is matching the price of Abe's of Maine. $459. is that a good price?
Thanks In Advance
post #970 of 4530
That is a great price. No issues with mine so far.
post #971 of 4530
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

remind me what the components are? i.e. brand/model...

keep in mind that when connected by hdmi, the video converter isn't playing... it's just passing through...

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighxr View Post

So than what is, because I have no options to turn off the video converter, or to pass the signal thru.

TV is connected to receiver with DVI/HDMI
DVR is connected to receiver with HDMI
DVD is connected to receiver with HDMI

It is converting, DIY network is a 480p signal, and it is being converted. Much sharper than usual, and black bars due to TV being 4:3.
post #972 of 4530
Thanks Tornado

I kind of understand standing waves.
Does anyone know if this MCACC helps with this?
Thanks
post #973 of 4530
New owner of VSX-1020 and Aperion 4T system... just ran MCACC and it configured all the speakers as large. Aperion recommends they be set to small (they are quite small after all). Should I go back in the settings and configure the settings to be small? Will this mess with settings MCACC configured? Thanks guys! BTW, i searched but did not find an answer.
post #974 of 4530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerillah View Post

New owner of VSX-1020 and Aperion 4T system... just ran MCACC and it configured all the speakers as large. Aperion recommends they be set to small (they are quite small after all). Should I go back in the settings and configure the settings to be small? Will this mess with settings MCACC configured? Thanks guys! BTW, i searched but did not find an answer.

Nevermind, figured it out by searching google. Set to small, and left crossover at 80hz.
post #975 of 4530
I just installed my new VSX-1020 and can't figure out how to switch the volume between the receiver and the TV.

With my previous receiver (Onkyo TX-SR602) I could have the sound coming out of the TV speakers or the surround sound speakers or both if I wanted to. Now I can't get any sound out of my TV speakers, I can only get sound from my surround sound speakers.

I'm assuming this has something to do with using the HDMI. Previously I was using component video and fiber optic audio outputs. Is there a setting to allow the HDMI signal from the DirecTV receiver to simply pass through the 1020 when it's turned off? I think this would allow me to use the TV speakers without the surround sound speakers.

I'm sure some of you don't see the problem with this but this is in my bedroom and sometime I just want the less dynamic sound I get through the TV speakers.

If it helps my system is made up of:
Pioneer VSX-1020 receiver (replaced a Onkyo TX-SR602)
Pioneer BDP-320 Blu-Ray Player
Pioneer DV-F727 DVD changer (x2)
Panasonic TH50PX60U TV
DirecTV HR21 HD-DVR
Kliasch R5800W (surround) RW12d (subwoofer)
post #976 of 4530
I just picked up the 1020, and I love it so far. All my HDMI components like BD player, Xbox 360 work great, but this one problem I have with my HTPC connection is absolutely puzzling.

My HTPC has a DVI to HDMI connection with optical toslink for audio, but I'm getting no sound. At first I thought I did something wrong in assigning OPT-1 in the menu or in the actual physical connection, however, what's weird is as soon as I bring up the receiver's GUI menu, I get the sound (at this point I'm getting no video because it's displaying the menu), and if I turn the menu off, I get the video but no sound again...

So right, now, I can get either the video or the sound one at a time, but not both at the same time.

If I wasn't getting the sound at all, then I'd say there could be a problem on the PC side, but since I'm getting the sound when I bring up the GUI menu, I'm thinking that it's the receiver that's causing the problem (also this setup was working perfectly on my old Yamaha receiver).

Do you guys have solution to this?

Thanks!
post #977 of 4530
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemamusa View Post


My HTPC has a DVI to HDMI connection with optical toslink for audio, but I'm getting no sound. At first I thought I did something wrong in assigning OPT-1 in the menu or in the actual physical connection, however, what's weird is as soon as I bring up the receiver's GUI menu, I get the sound (at this point I'm getting no video because it's displaying the menu), and if I turn the menu off, I get the video but no sound again...

Tony - I had a similar problem - my Set-top cable box (Comcast Motorola DCT) doesn't have HDMI, so I had to use component and TOSLINK. Using the TV/SAT input with OPT-1 wouldn't give me any sound, although all the other inputs worked correctly. That confused me for a long time because OPT-1 appears to be the default input for TV/SAT.

Rather than return it, I just used TV/SAT with OPT-2, and it works fine.

Perry
post #978 of 4530
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemamusa View Post

My HTPC has a DVI to HDMI connection with optical toslink for audio, but I'm getting no sound. At first I thought I did something wrong in assigning OPT-1 in the menu or in the actual physical connection, ...

If I wasn't getting the sound at all, then I'd say there could be a problem on the PC side, but since I'm getting the sound when I bring up the GUI menu, I'm thinking that it's the receiver that's causing the problem (also this setup was working perfectly on my old Yamaha receiver).

Do you guys have solution to this?

Thanks!

Hi kemamusa, try the "Signal Sel" button and set the audio signal to "Digital" (on the remote, press Receiver and then press Signal Sel).
post #979 of 4530
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC3C4 View Post

I just installed my new VSX-1020 and can't figure out how to switch the volume between the receiver and the TV.

With my previous receiver (Onkyo TX-SR602) I could have the sound coming out of the TV speakers or the surround sound speakers or both if I wanted to. Now I can't get any sound out of my TV speakers, I can only get sound from my surround sound speakers.

I'm assuming this has something to do with using the HDMI. Previously I was using component video and fiber optic audio outputs. Is there a setting to allow the HDMI signal from the DirecTV receiver to simply pass through the 1020 when it's turned off? I think this would allow me to use the TV speakers without the surround sound speakers...

Try setting "HDMI Control" to On, but sometimes using this feature can have a negative affect on other setup, read page 63-66 in OM.
post #980 of 4530
I was wondering if anyone is having issues connecting an Ipod touch to this? It seemed to work fine at first however today the receiver kept saying device not connected.

I don't have my TV yet so I am using it in IPOD control mode. I also have the 1019 and have not had any issues with that receiver.

any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks Carter
post #981 of 4530
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi kemamusa, try the "Signal Sel" button and set the audio signal to "Digital" (on the remote, press Receiver and then press Signal Sel).

That worked!
I feel so stupid for stuggling with this for hours now that I see the solution. I just had to switch the signal

Thanks so much for helping me out!
post #982 of 4530
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Try setting "HDMI Control" to On, but sometimes using this feature can have a negative affect on other setup, read page 63-66 in OM.

JCin,

I checked and the "HDMI Control" was already set to "On" so I changed it to "Off" just to see if that would solve my problem but all it did was take my ability to adjust the volume with the TV & DirecTV remotes away.
When it was set to "Off" it did change the visual representation of the volume control back to the TV but no sound came out.

Before I installed the 1020 I was running an HDMI cable straight from the DirecTV receiver to the TV and that worked fine so I'm sure there is audio running through the HDMI cable. I did change HDMI cables to the new 1.4a, does that make any difference? I guess I'm back to the same question, is there any way to turn the receiver off and still allow the HDMI signal from the DirecTV receiver to get to the TV?
post #983 of 4530
Hey guys, I got my 1020 last week and everything seems to work ok except otwo things.

I cant seem to make the Internet radio work. I can open up the menu and see the default radio stations but I cant seem to browse them.

I even connected to the ip adress of my receiver on my pc and I see all the default stations there and when I click on the update button it says connecting... for like 1 sec and then the connecting button disapears.

Might be a router config maybe?

Second question would be about my Wii.

I connected it using component cable and stereo left and righ analog for sound.

Is there any special config I need to do to get pro logic II surround sound other than put surround in Wii config?

I only see stereo on my amp when playing on my Wii.

Thanks
post #984 of 4530
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC3C4 View Post

JCin,

I checked and the "HDMI Control" was already set to "On" so I changed it to "Off" just to see if that would solve my problem but all it did was take my ability to adjust the volume with the TV & DirecTV remotes away.
When it was set to "Off" it did change the visual representation of the volume control back to the TV but no sound came out.

Before I installed the 1020 I was running an HDMI cable straight from the DirecTV receiver to the TV and that worked fine so I'm sure there is audio running through the HDMI cable. I did change HDMI cables to the new 1.4a, does that make any difference? I guess I'm back to the same question, is there any way to turn the receiver off and still allow the HDMI signal from the DirecTV receiver to get to the TV?

Hi RickC3C4, try this on the remote - press Receiver and then Audio Parameter. Cycle down until it gets to HDMI Audio and set it to "Through".
post #985 of 4530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creavin View Post

Hello, Is anyone having trouble playing music or video through the 1020 after downloading the new iphone 4.0 OS? I wonder how Pioneer is going to fix this.

I have the same issue but didn't realize it was os 4 causing it. I got my receiver after the ipod had been updated. The receiver works fine with my Nano though,
post #986 of 4530
Hi,

I'm running into strange problems again.

So, when I turn my Xbox 360 on with the receiver already powered on, the Xbox will just hang with no screen or audio response... UNTIL I turn off the receiver. So if I ever want to switch to Xbox 360 after watching a blu-ray move, I need to turn the receiver off first, then turn on the Xbox, and turn the receiver on again

Also, when the Xbox plays a video with stereo sound (instead of 5.1 surround), I get no sound UNTIL I go to the receiver's GUI menu, then come back to Xbox 360, then I finally get sound. If I don't go to the GUI menu at least once, well, I get no sound from videos /w stereo sound no matter what I do.

Do you guys ever have these problems? I can live with work-arounds, but these problems suggest that my receiver could be defective since I never had to deal with these weird stuff when I had my crappy old Yamaha receiver..
post #987 of 4530
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemamusa View Post

Do you guys ever have these problems?

No. I have xbox360 hooked up by component + optical audio and PS3 with hdmi. I see no problems with audio or video when I switch from one to the other. Stereo (using PLIIz) and DD 5.1 work the same.
post #988 of 4530
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

No. I have xbox360 hooked up by component + optical audio and PS3 with hdmi. I see no problems with audio or video when I switch from one to the other. Stereo (using PLIIz) and DD 5.1 work the same.

Mine's actually connected to HDMI #2 by the way. My Xbox just won't start unless the receiver is off...

And now I have another problem with the receiver..

The radio tuner has no sound until it gets a kick start with another source (such as Xbox or blu-ray player).. So for me to get any sound in the radio tuner, I have to turn on my blu-ray player or Xbox to get the sound there first. Almost as if the speakers need to be initialized with an external sound source, then switch to the radio tuner..... Then all of a sudden, voila, I have sound in the radio tuner.. Otherwise, I get absolutely no sound in the Tuner mode no matter how many times I turn the receiver on and off.

Wow this is so frustrating. Now I'm pretty positive that I got a defective receiver..
post #989 of 4530
for those of you with the 1020 that utilize its streaming capabilities, does it also stream mp3's via media player 12? I know alot of the other "network capable" receivers do this. If this is possible it's pretty much going to seal the deal on my purchasing of the 1020.
post #990 of 4530
Hi all,

When I ran the MCACC setup initially I had the "Loudness" feature turned on. If I decide not to use this feature should I go back a re-run the MCACC setup with it turned off? What do you think of the "Loudness" feature in general?

Thank you,
Matt
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1020-K Owner's Thread