or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › FAKE Monster Beats Studio HD: Here is how to tell a real from a fake
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FAKE Monster Beats Studio HD: Here is how to tell a real from a fake - Page 3

post #61 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by PubFiction View Post

I am of the school of thought that if I can’t tell the difference no one else can and it does not matter. The question really becomes how the beats counterfeits measure up against a similar priced quality headphone from the favorites around here.

I agree.

If the goal is to get an awesome sounding bass heavy pair of headphones, then the HFI-580 has a reputation for being a better choice at under $150. I've heard them. They are impressive.

If the goal is to buy a status symbol, then don't worry about whether or not they are counterfeit. Find some $150 Beats from vendors that other buyers have confirmed look and sound like Beats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

Sound quality stinks either way. I think all Monster products are overpriced junk.

While I have not heard them, apparently some of the Monster Turbines are a decent SQ/price value for bass heavy IEMs.
post #62 of 76
I forgot about the Turbines and you are right, they are decent IE's.
post #63 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

Sound quality stinks either way. I think all Monster products are overpriced junk.

Overpriced? Yes

Junk? Not really...they are just junk compared to other overpriced cables....but I don't think they are "inherently" junk.
post #64 of 76
Boy I do. I got a pair of $25 IE's that make them sound like a pair of tin cans connected by a string. The beats have almost no bass and anemic highs.
post #65 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

I forgot about the Turbines and you are right, they are decent IE's.

And the Monster Turbines are on sale at Amazon for $80 today, which appears to be a very good value.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

Boy I do. I got a pair of $25 IE's that make them sound like a pair of tin cans connected by a string. The beats have almost no bass and anemic highs.

I agree about the poor sound quality. I've heard Beats at BestBuy. Very overrated, although my experience was boomy, bloated bass and poor mids and trebles with the closed can models.

Meanwhile, I bought the Ultrasone HFI-580s ($120 @ Amazon) about a week ago. The bass is impressive. In SQ, the bass is at least as good as my Mirage Prestige S10 subwoofer. However, I let them burn in for about 60 hours, and then demoed them for a couple hours, and then put them back in the box. The bass is a little too hot for me, and that's saying a lot with the subs I have in my house. (LOL) I had to EQ the bass and highs down a little bit.

So the HFI-580s will be a present for my teenage son, and I got the HFI-780s ($157 @ Amazon) in yesterday. Shallower V-shaped response, so the mids are more forward, making the bass seem better balanced (and the treble). And the SQ is slightly more refined all around. Near perfect frequency response for me, and in fact here are measurements from headphone.com:



I enjoy listening to these as much or more than my Veritas V5.1/Mirage Prestige S10/HK 3490 setup with my desktop.

Anyway, you might not have needed a recommendation flying_fool, but I wanted to respond in case anyone else comes searching for information on Beats here. At first, I was skeptical of the Ultrasone fans, but anyone considering buying Beats should give these Ultrasones a listen first. And any subwoofer enthusiasts on AVS would certainly enjoy auditioning them biggrin.gif
post #66 of 76
On Head-Fi people have said the fakes are close in SQ to the real ones and about the price that they should cost. Some people intentionally looked for fakes on ebay lol

^ Sweetness, love my 580s, also i recently picked up for the M-Audio Q40 for the same price, these things are bass monsters!
post #67 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post

On Head-Fi people have said the fakes are close in SQ to the real ones and about the price that they should cost. Some people intentionally looked for fakes on ebay lol

That's because Monster likely uses $1.00 drivers in each side of the headphones that come from the same Chinese sweat shop that the knockoff speakers come from. Granted, even if SQ is the same or very close, I can understand why people want the "real deal" when they're spending $200+ dollars. I just don't get all the Beats hype. They're not that great, they're average. And they suck for the price point. I see so many stupid, young people walking around with Beats on and the only reason they're wearing them is because they're endorsed by Dr. Dre rolleyes.gif It's sad because these people have never heard a good pair of studio headphones that they could get for prob half the price of their $300 dollar Beats that would outperform the Beats in every way.
post #68 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post

^ Sweetness, love my 580s, also i recently picked up for the M-Audio Q40 for the same price, these things are bass monsters!

Oh, yeah. They are so fun. When I first tried the 580s, I had to laugh. I put on Ludacris's Get Back, and the very low bass frequencies had that refined vibration kind of sizzle that I've only been able to get from my Outlaw EX and CHT 18.1s--the Mirage Prestige can't do it. I could even feel it slightly down in my arms, and all I could think was, "I got a great subwoofer on my head." LOL

Which do you like better of the two?
post #69 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

And the Monster Turbines are on sale at Amazon for $80 today, which appears to be a very good value.
I agree about the poor sound quality. I've heard Beats at BestBuy. Very overrated, although my experience was boomy, bloated bass and poor mids and trebles with the closed can models.
Meanwhile, I bought the Ultrasone HFI-580s ($120 @ Amazon) about a week ago. The bass is impressive. In SQ, the bass is at least as good as my Mirage Prestige S10 subwoofer. However, I let them burn in for about 60 hours, and then demoed them for a couple hours, and then put them back in the box. The bass is a little too hot for me, and that's saying a lot with the subs I have in my house. (LOL) I had to EQ the bass and highs down a little bit.
So the HFI-580s will be a present for my teenage son, and I got the HFI-780s ($157 @ Amazon) in yesterday. Shallower V-shaped response, so the mids are more forward, making the bass seem better balanced (and the treble). And the SQ is slightly more refined all around. Near perfect frequency response for me, and in fact here are measurements from headphone.com:

I enjoy listening to these as much or more than my Veritas V5.1/Mirage Prestige S10/HK 3490 setup with my desktop.
Anyway, you might not have needed a recommendation flying_fool, but I wanted to respond in case anyone else comes searching for information on Beats here. At first, I was skeptical of the Ultrasone fans, but anyone considering buying Beats should give these Ultrasones a listen first. And any subwoofer enthusiasts on AVS would certainly enjoy auditioning them biggrin.gif



Id like to see some graphs of the fake beats vs real beats w/ some THD too!!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif
post #70 of 76
Hey guys,

Glad I found this forum and thread. It sounds like you guys are expert and was wondering if the beats I bought were fake or real. Its weird because I did so much research and when I went to go buy it from a guy on craigslist for $200 cash, it looked so real. These are the Beats By Dre Studio.

I watched so many Beats By Dre Fake VS real videos and im just in awe on how close they are in comparison. Its just crazy.

Some Notes:
1. It came with duracell batteries
2. It registered fine on the beats website but I dont think that means anything.
3. The wrapping looked good. THe top of the box had a opening where the shrink opening is. I heard someone on youtube that if the top is completely covered in shrink then its fake. This one had a nice oval around the top.
4. Im not an audiofile so I cant tell if its "good" music or not so sound quality wise I dont know.
5. I can not find any Real or Fake ones that look like the box that I have and the manuals that mine come with.
6. The biggest thing is that when I opened the Battery Cover, There was NO serial Number at all. Like not even an indication that a serial number sticker existed. Its really weird. Its just blank.

Thanks so much for your help!

IMG_20121213_213145.jpg 927k .jpg file

IMG_20121213_213153.jpg 1132k .jpg file

IMG_20121213_213221.jpg 854k .jpg file

IMG_20121213_213256.jpg 890k .jpg file

IMG_20121213_213228.jpg 1169k .jpg file

IMG_20121213_213605.jpg 1074k .jpg file

IMG_20121213_213610.jpg 977k .jpg file

IMG_20121213_213617.jpg 1121k .jpg file
post #71 of 76
No serial number means it's a fake no doubt about it.
I can't believe you would pay $200 for a potential fake, for a bit more you can have had the real thing.
There really is a sucker born every minute.
post #72 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliostar View Post

I can't believe you would pay $200 for a potential fake, for a bit more you can have had the real thing.
When the real thing is pretty much universally panned as being junk that's seriously outclassed by others at half the price and less why would you pay even $200 for the real thing, let alone more?
post #73 of 76
No doubt Bill. I had a pair and they stunk big time.
post #74 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

When the real thing is pretty much universally panned as being junk that's seriously outclassed by others at half the price and less why would you pay even $200 for the real thing, let alone more?

I would think that if you put on a pair and they sounded good, then that would be proof positive that they are fake. :-)
post #75 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide View Post

That's because Monster likely uses $1.00 drivers in each side of the headphones that come from the same Chinese sweat shop that the knockoff speakers come from. Granted, even if SQ is the same or very close, I can understand why people want the "real deal" when they're spending $200+ dollars. I just don't get all the Beats hype. They're not that great, they're average. And they suck for the price point. I see so many stupid, young people walking around with Beats on and the only reason they're wearing them is because they're endorsed by Dr. Dre rolleyes.gif It's sad because these people have never heard a good pair of studio headphones that they could get for prob half the price of their $300 dollar Beats that would outperform the Beats in every way.
its a fashion thing.
post #76 of 76
For fakes, I would say that the Beats give you the best bang for your buck. Who can beat these headsets for 35-40$ ??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › FAKE Monster Beats Studio HD: Here is how to tell a real from a fake