or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › DirecTV HD DVR - HR2*/ HR34 Master Topic: one thread for all
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DirecTV HD DVR - HR2*/ HR34 Master Topic: one thread for all - Page 67

post #1981 of 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlinux View Post

After almost a year of ownership I'm still having problems with my HR34. At first it was impossible to stream any show to or from it to other DVRs in my home as it would freeze constantly, or just not play at all (this happened either way). It has gotten better... Now I get freezes less frequently but nevertheless I still get them. I don't have any problems streaming between any other DVRs where the HR34 isn't involved. This has become more of an issue because I've started to want to rely on the HR34 more as the central place for my recordings, but I can't do that because of the streaming problems. Up until now I've primarily simply used it as a standalone DVR in my Theater room, so I can manipulate liveTV (I have not had problems with liveTV or playing back its own recordings). Any suggestions before I call DirecTV?

Go ahead and call, maybe you'll get a 44.
post #1982 of 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbrit View Post

Why do you have to restart it? What are the symptoms?
either we get a locked up picture, or our other box can't connect to the server (genie is the server)
post #1983 of 2014
Quick question for y'all since my Google searches proved fruitless...

I currently have a Genie system and have setup a keyword search and autorecord functionality to record everything related to the "Detroit Red Wings". Unfortunately, I can't seem to get the Genie to understand that it should only try to record things from channels I actually receive. I subscribe to the center ice package, but not the full sports package where I get every single regional sports station. So while I want to record all the games on the Center Ice channels, recording a black screen from Fox Sports Detroit (I am located in Houston, TX) is pretty worthless to me. Anyone know how to restrict the "autorecord" functionality to be from channels I receive only? Thanks!

Regards,
Jeff
Edited by Iceblade - 10/5/13 at 7:17pm
post #1984 of 2014
Give this a look Jeff. You can't filter by only channels you receive but you can add "CCHANS 64 78 90" for example to restrict the search to just those three channels.
post #1985 of 2014
Thanks, Weaselboy. Looks like I need to bust out my old software programming chops to get this done. I have to say, my old HD-TIVO was smart enough to know not to record things from channels I don't pay for. It's hard to believe that the DirecTV goofballs wouldn't think of this, themselves.

Regards,
Jeff
post #1986 of 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post

Go ahead and call, maybe you'll get a 44.

Well, I got my receiver replaced... with another HR34. I had the same problems, which confirm to me that the problem is the networking. I disconnected the receivers from the DECA networking and placed them on my home network (every room in my house is wired with cat 6 and cat 5 - my network is pretty robust; many wireless access points, guest wireless network, multiple frequencies and protocols 802.11gn 2.4 and 5Ghz, gigabit switches and router - I have around 50 devices on my network) and for the last hour streaming to and from it has been stable, which never happened before... So I can only conclude some of the DECA equipment had issues or was setup wrong (I think the latter, but I didn't do much thinking about before I pulled it out). I may go back and hook it up again the way I think it is supposed to work (I do have a decent amount of experience in networking) but I'm in no hurry as long as things are working now off my network...
post #1987 of 2014
I went from a wired setup that was pretty solid to a DECA setup that has never had a dropout since it was installed. I think you're on the right track as far as a faulty installation of some kind.
post #1988 of 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post

I went from a wired setup that was pretty solid to a DECA setup that has never had a dropout since it was installed. I think you're on the right track as far as a faulty installation of some kind.

I moved about a year ago and at my old house I only had a problem with DECA once, and that was a setup problem. In fact, I piggybacked off the DECA for other devices on my home network because I didn't have a wired connection in on of the rooms and even that was solid smile.gif. The installer at my new home was pretty clueless. As I try to remember what I undid I believe he had the HR34 connected to my home network and which I think is fine if the HR34 is acting as the Internet gateway via my router for the DECA "cloud." But I believe on of my HR21s also had a broadband DECA unit near it attached to my network - that was probably the problem. That doesn't seem right to me (two bridges for the DECA cloud to the Internet on one network?). I probably could have just disconnected the ethernet from the HR34 or disconnected the DECA broadband adapter from my home network and things would have been fine... At least if I'm remembering right. I did have some intermittent problems on one of my switches - this may have been the cause of that too... I didn't even bother to look at how it was connected cause most everything worked so I assumed (bad idea, I know) everything was connected right. Anyway, if it works well now I'll just leave it on my network. My network was designed with multimedia distribution in mind (via my HTPCs, file servers, DLNA clients, smart TVs, etc.) so capacity isn't an issue. Otherwise, I think I know how it should've been hooked up and can go to that...
post #1989 of 2014
Some DirecTV boxes have built-in DECA, other older ones don't. So your H21 would definitely need an external DECA adapter, where your HR34 would not. I have 6 DECA adapters in my house now, and I don't even have DirecTV anymore. Works great for networking over coax. If you don't have a DECA capable device at each node, it needs its own adapter, simple as that. So, if you have all the proper DECA hardware, next step is to make sure all your cabling is good. Let the installer do that for you and don't let him leave until everything works.
post #1990 of 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Some DirecTV boxes have built-in DECA, other older ones don't. So your H21 would definitely need an external DECA adapter, where your HR34 would not. I have 6 DECA adapters in my house now, and I don't even have DirecTV anymore. Works great for networking over coax. If you don't have a DECA capable device at each node, it needs its own adapter, simple as that. So, if you have all the proper DECA hardware, next step is to make sure all your cabling is good. Let the installer do that for you and don't let him leave until everything works.

I'm not talking about the regular DECA adapter. I know the HR34 has it built in and the HR21s don't and use an adapter to work over DECA (although I disagree that they need them - the work fine over regular ethernet without an adapter, which is what I did in the whole home DVR beta program before DECA was rolled out and what I'm doing right now). I'm talking about the broadband DECA adapter that connects the DECA network to the your home network for the purpose of Internet access for things like VOD. I've used the DECA equipment for networking over coax as I referenced in my previous post at my last home.
post #1991 of 2014
Gotcha. But the gateway and other adapters are functionally equivalent. The only difference is what the ethernet port is connected to, a router or some client device. So as long as only one of them is connected to your LAN, you should be ok.
post #1992 of 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Gotcha. But the gateway and other adapters are functionally equivalent. The only difference is what the ethernet port is connected to, a router or some client device. So as long as only one of them is connected to your LAN, you should be ok.

Exactly. I understand how they work. What I was saying was I believe the installer had two connected to the LAN (to two of my switches which connect to my router) if you count the Ethernet port on the HR34, and I think this is what caused the problems I was having.

Edit:

This person seemed to have had the same problem with the same fix: http://forums.directv.com/thread/11095369.

Just an incorrect install. Symptoms don't present themselves immediately and the DVRs could see each other so I can see why a tech would leave thinking everything was okay...
Edited by newlinux - 10/8/13 at 11:58am
post #1993 of 2014
Yes, having more than one DECA bridge to your home network will cause issues. If you had a broadband DECA hooked up to a switch/router, and your HR34 hooked up over ethernet to a switch/router on the same network then you will have issues. This has been talked about a few times over at DBSTalk.com.

You can use the HR34/HR44 to bridge your DECA network to your home ethernet network by plugging an ethernet cable from it into your switch/router. Some techs do not realize this and insist on using a Broadband DECA adapter (either a wired or wireless version). You cannot hook up an ethernet cable to an HR24/H24 and still have it use DECA. Hooking up an ethernet cable to them disables their internal DECA adapter (you have to unhook the ethernet cable and reboot the receiver to get DECA working again).

If you have an HR34/HR44 on your network you should be using DECA on your other receivers. If you aren't then you should have bandstop filters on them, because otherwise the DECA signal that the HR34/HR44 continues to put out will eventually damage those receivers (the DECA adapter works as a bandstop filter when you are using it).
post #1994 of 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

Yes, having more than one DECA bridge to your home network will cause issues. If you had a broadband DECA hooked up to a switch/router, and your HR34 hooked up over ethernet to a switch/router on the same network then you will have issues. This has been talked about a few times over at DBSTalk.com.

You can use the HR34/HR44 to bridge your DECA network to your home ethernet network by plugging an ethernet cable from it into your switch/router. Some techs do not realize this and insist on using a Broadband DECA adapter (either a wired or wireless version). You cannot hook up an ethernet cable to an HR24/H24 and still have it use DECA. Hooking up an ethernet cable to them disables their internal DECA adapter (you have to unhook the ethernet cable and reboot the receiver to get DECA working again).

If you have an HR34/HR44 on your network you should be using DECA on your other receivers. If you aren't then you should have bandstop filters on them, because otherwise the DECA signal that the HR34/HR44 continues to put out will eventually damage those receivers (the DECA adapter works as a bandstop filter when you are using it).

Thank you for the confirmation and the information about the potential damage to the other receivers. I left the external DECA units attached to my HR21s and H21 but I connected the ethernet from my home network to the ethernet ports in the back of those units, which I believe disables the DECA on those as well (is that correct? if Not then I am using DECA now smile.gif). The plan was to go back to DECA once I figured out the problem and was so inclined. That said, I wouldn't mind new boxes as my HR21s are like slugs compared to my HR34. But I don't want to purposely damage them... I guess smile.gif
post #1995 of 2014
Doesn't look like there are many with HR44's these days. What is D* shipping or giving out these days...is it still the HR34 or HR44 if you have to insist on it?

I honestly don't care if it's the genie or not because I don't really need 4 or 5 tuners. I'm home everyday and have a tough time keeping up with 2 tuners as is. I just don't want to have the HR 44 if that means I have to have them come out and re-do the installation with new updated equipment. I rather just go from HR24 now to HR44 plug & play if that's feasible.
post #1996 of 2014
If you have a SWM setup it would be plug and play. I'm still using older units and waiting until all of the bugs are out of the 44, also waiting for the 34s to disappear.
post #1997 of 2014
So I ran across an issue last night and want to see if this is the "expected operation" from an HR34. I was in the middle of recording a hockey game last night. The game was still being recorded when I got home and I wanted to watch it from the start instead of picking up where it was, real-time. So I clicked on the LIST and then selected the program and hit "Play". Instead of starting at the beginning, it started at the current time. Thinking I had mistakenly hit RESUME or something, I went through the motions again... no luck. So my question is, is this the intended operation? Can I only start a program at the actual beginning of the recording time once it's completely done recording?

Thanks,
Jeff
post #1998 of 2014
No, you should be able to watch it from the beginning at any time.
post #1999 of 2014
Does anyone know if there is an Android app for controlling the DTV Guide. I downloaded the one from DTV and from what I can see it shows All the channels but what's currently playing. I only want my favorites and would like a guide that show out an hour or 2. My nephew has an app on his IPad for WideOpenWest and it's just like the guide on the TV.
post #2000 of 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum View Post

Does anyone know if there is an Android app for controlling the DTV Guide. I downloaded the one from DTV and from what I can see it shows All the channels but what's currently playing. I only want my favorites and would like a guide that show out an hour or 2. My nephew has an app on his IPad for WideOpenWest and it's just like the guide on the TV.

I think the iPad DTV is like what you want, but I don't have an Android tablet so I am not sure if the app is different than what is on the phone.

You could try just using the guide available through DTVs site.
post #2001 of 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum View Post

Does anyone know if there is an Android app for controlling the DTV Guide. I downloaded the one from DTV and from what I can see it shows All the channels but what's currently playing. I only want my favorites and would like a guide that show out an hour or 2. My nephew has an app on his IPad for WideOpenWest and it's just like the guide on the TV.
The Guide setting does show what's on now, and by pressing the arrow key, what's next, up to the limit of the listings, at least a week. Or you can jump to any day or time. You can filter by what's on TV and your favorite channels, once they're set up. There's lots of room for improvement, like remembering your Guide settings, a landscape mode, and remembering your WiFi setup, but those might come later. What else do you expect to see?
post #2002 of 2014
I've been away for awhile but I need some help once again. I have a HR21-700 that has been giving me problems for about a month. The guide and recordings list can take up to several minutes to display and commands from the remote are excruciatingly slow. Recorded shows are jumpy with pixelation and lost audio. I've reset, unplugged and changed remote. All of these symptoms seem to get progressively worse the longer the DVR stays on.

Is my hard drive failing? And how do I convince DTV to replace it?

Thanks
post #2003 of 2014
Call them and tell them about the picture breaking up and tell them you need a service call. The tech will have the latest DVRs on his truck so you would get an HR24.
post #2004 of 2014
I have a DirecTV HR24 attached via optical to a martin logan sound bar. Each time I fast forward or rewind DVR I get a loud pop on Sound bar. I have done a reset. I have changed optical cables. I have changed optical cable to Coaxial and no luck. Any advice?
post #2005 of 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos5861 View Post

I have a DirecTV HR24 attached via optical to a martin logan sound bar. Each time I fast forward or rewind DVR I get a loud pop on Sound bar. I have done a reset. I have changed optical cables. I have changed optical cable to Coaxial and no luck. Any advice?
Which digital audio format are you sending (Dolby Digital, PCM, DTS, etc.) through the optical/coax?
post #2006 of 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post

Which digital audio format are you sending (Dolby Digital, PCM, DTS, etc.) through the optical/coax?

It happens with DTS and Dolby Digital
post #2007 of 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos5861 View Post

It happens with DTS and Dolby Digital
OK, try setting it to PCM and report back if it does the same thing. TiVos and other devices have done this with DD and DTS whereas the transitions back to the bitstream aren't smooth, causing a pop.
post #2008 of 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos5861 View Post

I have a DirecTV HR24 attached via optical to a martin logan sound bar. Each time I fast forward or rewind DVR I get a loud pop on Sound bar. I have done a reset. I have changed optical cables. I have changed optical cable to Coaxial and no luck. Any advice?

I have a HR 24, it has 2 settings for audio out. One is Dolby on and the other is Dolby off. I the off position it outputs 2 channel PCM. If there is a pop in PCM try using a set of RCA stereo cables. If you have a powered sub that can be the culprit in the loud pop.
post #2009 of 2014
Quote:
OK, try setting it to PCM and report back if it does the same thing. TiVos and other devices have done this with DD and DTS whereas the transitions back to the bitstream aren't smooth, causing a pop.

But then I will not get Dolby output right?
post #2010 of 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post

I have a HR 24, it has 2 settings for audio out. One is Dolby on and the other is Dolby off. I the off position it outputs 2 channel PCM. If there is a pop in PCM try using a set of RCA stereo cables. If you have a powered sub that can be the culprit in the loud pop.
If I turn off Dolby then I will only get Stereo?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › DirecTV HD DVR - HR2*/ HR34 Master Topic: one thread for all