or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Source Components › Confirmed: PS3 WILL do Full HD 3D for BDs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Confirmed: PS3 WILL do Full HD 3D for BDs

post #1 of 41
Thread Starter 
An insider for SPHE with contacts in the USA Playstation crew has confirmed that after a firmware update later this year, for 3D Blu-ray playback the PS3 WILL output the full 1080p to EACH eye.


http://forum.blu-ray.com/insider-dis...ml#post3212038


That is full stereoscopic HD, equivalent to 1080p24 X 2.

No checkerboarding/downrezzing etc. for movies, according to this insider.
post #2 of 41
Great News
post #3 of 41
Sony should have released the 3D firmware now with there Sony 3D TV to boost PS3 sales.. Another smart move by Sony.. Just like when they took backwards compatibilty away from newer models!
post #4 of 41
Was there ever any doubt? Sony stated this was the case from day one. I mean how many times does a company have to announce something before people believe it?
post #5 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw View Post

Was there ever any doubt? Sony stated this was the case from day one. I mean how many times does a company have to announce something before people believe it?

Sony stated from the get-go that the PS3 would be compatible with 3D BDs and would output them in 3D.

They did not explicitly specify the playback spec.

That's why there's been all the internet speculation about checkerboard, half res 3D and the like.

It's also why I asked Penton to clarify and then posted this thread.

Cheers.
post #6 of 41
The original press release all but spells it out and yet people still don't believe.

Quote:


"From a technological perspective, it is simply the best available platform for bringing 3D into the home," said Benn Carr, chairman, BDA 3D Task Force. "The disc capacity and bit rates Blu-ray Disc provides enable us to deliver 3D in Full HD 1080p high definition resolution." The Blu-ray 3D specification is also designed to allow PS3 game consoles to play back Blu-ray 3D content in 3D

http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/17/b...-ps3-is-ready/

In fact no official sources ever said it wouldn't do full 3D, but idiots assumed it wouldn't just because it had an HDMI 1.3 port. Only to find out that lots of HDMI 1.3 devices support Full HD 3D.

(not sure why this annoys me, but it does)
post #7 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw View Post

The original press release all but spells it out and yet people still don't believe.



http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/17/b...-ps3-is-ready/

In fact no official sources ever said it wouldn't do full 3D, but idiots assumed it wouldn't just because it had an HDMI 1.3 port. Only to find out that lots of HDMI 1.3 devices support Full HD 3D.

(not sure why this annoys me, but it does)

Agree 100%.
post #8 of 41
but games . . . .how can a PS3 match a PC for 3d gaming performance?
post #9 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBeavis View Post

but games . . . .how can a PS3 match a PC for 3d gaming performance?

I don't recall anyone claiming any console could match a high-end gaming PC for even 2D, let alone 3D, gaming. Gamers will spend $3K+ for a high-end water-cooled, overclocked PC to get 120 frames per seconds with fully rendered graphics. Consoles, such as the PS3, are limited to 60 Hz. max. (for 1080p 2D or for 3D at 720p per eye) since they are really oriented to using a TV as the display, and not a high-end PC monitor. These are also the same 3D limitations limitations for the HDMI 1.4a input on the new 3D TVs (i.e., max. required progressive 3D resolutions/rates in the frame packing signal format are 1080p/24 and 720p/60 per eye).
post #10 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw View Post

The original press release all but spells it out and yet people still don't believe.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/17/b...-ps3-is-ready/

In fact no official sources ever said it wouldn't do full 3D, but idiots assumed it wouldn't just because it had an HDMI 1.3 port. Only to find out that lots of HDMI 1.3 devices support Full HD 3D.

(not sure why this annoys me, but it does)

Not sure I like being called one of the "idiots" but... (I am one of those trying to reconcile all this new tech).....

What are "a lot of HDMI 1.3" devices that support FHD 3D? Except for the PS3, I haven't heard of any..

There has been a lot new information to digest, and as someone who has access to much more "inside information" due to your "vocation," I think you'd be more helpful, and less insulting, to those that don't share your resources and connections.

Calling others "idiots" reminds me why I don't frequent your website for information.
post #11 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Not sure I like being called one of the "idiots" but... (I am one of those trying to reconcile all this new tech).....

What are "a lot of HDMI 1.3" devices that support FHD 3D? Except for the PS3, I haven't heard of any..

There has been a lot new information to digest, and as someone who has access to much more "inside information" due to your "vocation," I think you'd be more helpful, and less insulting, to those that don't share your resources and connections.

Calling others "idiots" reminds me why I don't frequent your website for information.

Some people love to try to put others down on this forum in order to try to boost their own self worth. Who knows maybe they weren't loved as a child. I agree that the 3D technology is confusing. Personally, I believe most of the CEM have dropped the ball and will be sorry. Panasonic appears to be the only company using a common sense approach to 3D.

By the way, I saw your name on the credits of a movie recently. I believe it was the Money Train and from what I remember the soundtrack was good.
post #12 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

What are "a lot of HDMI 1.3" devices that support FHD 3D? Except for the PS3, I haven't heard of any.

I haven't heard of any, either, unless you count 1.3 high speed cables.
post #13 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post

By the way, I saw your name on the credits of a movie recently. I believe it was the Money Train and from what I remember the soundtrack was good.

Not my mix.
post #14 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Not my mix.

It was Held Up. I have watched a lot of movies lately.
post #15 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post

It was Held Up. I have watched a lot of movies lately.

That was me... a long time ago.... thanks.
post #16 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post

Some people love to try to put others down on this forum in order to try to boost their own self worth. Who knows maybe they weren't loved as a child. I agree that the 3D technology is confusing. Personally, I believe most of the CEM have dropped the ball and will be sorry. Panasonic appears to be the only company using a common sense approach to 3D.

I am not understanding this crusade you are on. Why do you blame or hold accountable "most CEM's" when the problem/issue resides STRICTLY with Samsung?

This has nothing to do with with any CEM other than Samsung and it's non-existant support of their 3D ready DLP customer base.

Is anyone getting miffed at Optomia or any of the other companies that sold 3D ready projectors that can't be used for 1.4 and 1.4a 3D?

All I see is a case of sour grapes here.

The crusade SHOULD be to petition Samsung to offer their own 3DC-1000 and to offer CB output on their C6900 and NOT for any of the content providers to accomdate those that need CB 3D.
post #17 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

I am not understanding this crusade you are on. Why do you blame or hold accountable "most CEM's" when the problem/issue resides STRICTLY with Samsung?

This has nothing to do with with any CEM other than Samsung and it's non-existant support of their 3D ready DLP customer base.

Is anyone getting miffed at Optomia or any of the other companies that sold 3D ready projectors that can't be used for 1.4 and 1.4a 3D?

All I see is a case of sour grapes here.

The crusade SHOULD be to petition Samsung to offer their own 3DC-1000 and to offer CB output on their C6900 and NOT for any of the content providers to accomdate those that need CB 3D.

My comments posted above involved a condescending remark calling people who don't understand the 3D technology idiots and nothing else. I believe it is OK to disagree with another's position with out name calling. In fact the AVS rules are suppose to prohibit it. I try to make my point without name calling and I hope that I am successful.

Regarding my crusade. Yes I believe Samsung is mostly at fault. If Samsung steps up to the plate I will be pleasantly surprised. However, I believe Mitsubishi dragged their feet making a decision and that is their fault. Hopefully, a 3rd party will come out with a solution but until Mitsubishi's announcement they had no incentive to do that. Everyone was presuming that Mitsubishi's converter would work with all 3D ready DLP HDTVs. Mitsubishi actions or in-actions strung everyone along.

Panasonic in my opinion made a smart decision as I have explained in my previous posts. Other CEMs may not follow their lead but I believe it will cost them monetarily if they do not. Most people are not going to replace their new expensive HDTVs for 3D. Checkerboard Format compatibility allows for market penetration which will help 3D catch on.

If this is a crusade then so be it as I find the squeaky wheel gets the oil. If others feel the same way then please express it in your posts and other actions. If you disagree then that is what democracy is all about.
post #18 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post

Regarding my crusade. Yes I believe Samsung is mostly at fault. If Samsung steps up to the plate I will be pleasantly surprised.

"Mostly?" It's 100% Samsungs fault. They are the manufacturer in question. It is their TV's that are the issue. How you could possibly think differently about that is beyond me.

Quote:


However, I believe Mitsubishi dragged their feet making a decision and that is their fault. Hopefully, a 3rd party will come out with a solution but until Mitsubishi's announcement they had no incentive to do that. Everyone was presuming that Mitsubishi's converter would work with all 3D ready DLP HDTVs. Mitsubishi actions or in-actions strung everyone along.

This has nothing to do with Mits. They announced the 3DC-1000 for THEIR DLP 3D ready RPTVs, both legacy and new. It is a specilaized adapter being made for their equipment. You can read all the press releases you want. In none of them does Mits say anything about Samsung TVs.

You want to lay blame? Lay it on Gary Merson, the HDGuru - HE was the one that said that the 3DC-1000 would work on Samsung RPTVs

This is a case of people being given false hope that another CEM's product will allievate their problem. And we now find out that it doesn't.

Quote:


Panasonic in my opinion made a smart decision as I have explained in my previous posts. Other CEMs may not follow their lead but I believe it will cost them monetarily if they do not. Most people are not going to replace their new expensive HDTVs for 3D. Checkerboard Format compatibility allows for market penetration which will help 3D catch on.

Your faith in the size of the market and those that are even aware of the capabilities of their own TV is . . . admireable, but has no basis. They didn't buy their TV specifically to watch 3D. They bought them to watch HD.

Quote:


If this is a crusade then so be it as I find the squeaky wheel gets the oil. If others feel the same way then please express it in your posts and other actions. If you disagree then that is what democracy is all about.

Good luck!
post #19 of 41
Is someone not believing a claim from Sony(especially about the PS3) really that shocking?

As with all new tech, we won't really know until it's out there being tested by users.
post #20 of 41
This would be great news if I had a DLP 3D TV or one of the newer Samsung 3D TVs. I guess it's old school red/blue for me for a little bit longer lol.
post #21 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post

"Mostly?" It's 100% Samsungs fault. They are the manufacturer in question. It is their TV's that are the issue. How you could possibly think differently about that is beyond me.



This has nothing to do with Mits. They announced the 3DC-1000 for THEIR DLP 3D ready RPTVs, both legacy and new. It is a specilaized adapter being made for their equipment. You can read all the press releases you want. In none of them does Mits say anything about Samsung TVs.

You want to lay blame? Lay it on Gary Merson, the HDGuru - HE was the one that said that the 3DC-1000 would work on Samsung RPTVs

This is a case of people being given false hope that another CEM's product will allievate their problem. And we now find out that it doesn't.



Your faith in the size of the market and those that are even aware of the capabilities of their own TV is . . . admireable, but has no basis. They didn't buy their TV specifically to watch 3D. They bought them to watch HD.



Good luck!

Lee,

Just out of curiosity, what is your A/V setup and are you going to buy all new equipment for 3D?
post #22 of 41
So my question is and maybe we have no real answer on this yet, we get a firm ware up date to do 3D on PS3, wil this work on any TV or will a 3D TV need to be purchased and if no new TV is to be purchased will it be as good of 3D as pure 3D TVs with 3D BD players. Do we think it will be as good? Is there no need for HDMI 1.4 will my 1.3 work? Thoughts anyone.
post #23 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ta23 View Post

So my question is and maybe we have no real answer on this yet, we get a firm ware up date to do 3D on PS3, wil this work on any TV or will a 3D TV need to be purchased and if no new TV is to be purchased will it be as good of 3D as pure 3D TVs with 3D BD players. Do we think it will be as good? Is there no need for HDMI 1.4 will my 1.3 work? Thoughts anyone.

The answers you seek I believe you will find at these two threads:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1232830

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1236394
post #24 of 41
It appears the PS3 3D update will not do checkerboard.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post18617997
post #25 of 41
Ok this is great news and all, but it still leaves two questions unanswered. Will the PS3 be able to support both 1080p@24hz 3D and full (as in 7.1) lossless audio at the same time? If so, will this require an HDMI 1.4a compatible receiver? I mean could we just use an HDMI 1.3 receiver as is or would one need to be upgraded. Would the determination of an upgrade be on a receiver by receiver basis or what? Forgive me if these questions have been answered before, but I haven't found an answer yet and besides as well all know the PS3 isn't your typical blu-ray player.
post #26 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFees View Post

Ok this is great news and all, but it still leaves two questions unanswered. Will the PS3 be able to support both 1080p@24hz 3D and full (as in 7.1) lossless audio at the same time? If so, will this require an HDMI 1.4a compatible receiver? I mean could we just use an HDMI 1.3 receiver as is or would one need to be upgraded. Would the determination of an upgrade be on a receiver by receiver basis or what? Forgive me if these questions have been answered before, but I haven't found an answer yet and besides as well all know the PS3 isn't your typical blu-ray player.

I think that using the PS3 as the source will be the same as with using any other Blu-ray 3D player that has a single HDMI output. That is an AVR with only HDMI 1.3 inputs/output will not pass the 3D video that uses the Frame Packing format. The PS3 is using software emualation to extend the HDMI features of its existing HDMI chipset to enable it to provide some basic level of compatibility as a 1.4 source device, but the AVR would need to have HDMI 1.4 to handle the two-way communications with both the PS3 and the 3DTV. So you would need to connect the PS3 directly to the 3DTV to enable 3D video but thats leaves only the optical output from the PS3 for connecting to the AVR (limited to lossy surround formats). However, there may be some forthcoming HDMI 1.4a complient splitter boxes or switch boxes with two HDMI outputs that would allow connection to both a 3DTV w/1.4 support and to a AVR w/1.3 support.
post #27 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw View Post

The original press release all but spells it out and yet people still don't believe.



http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/17/b...-ps3-is-ready/

In fact no official sources ever said it wouldn't do full 3D, but idiots assumed it wouldn't just because it had an HDMI 1.3 port. Only to find out that lots of HDMI 1.3 devices support Full HD 3D.

(not sure why this annoys me, but it does)


Holy cow. Why not read the press release you just linked? Carefully! Here's the relevant paragraph:

Quote:
"From a technological perspective, it is simply the best available platform for bringing 3D into the home," said Benn Carr, chairman, BDA 3D Task Force. "The disc capacity and bit rates Blu-ray Disc provides enable us to deliver 3D in Full HD 1080p high definition resolution." The Blu-ray 3D specification is also designed to allow PS3 game consoles to play back Blu-ray 3D content in 3D. Additionally, the specification supports playback of 2D discs in forthcoming 3D players and can enable 2D playback of Blu-ray 3D discs on the large installed base of Blu-ray Disc players currently in homes around the world."
End quote.

The relevant facts you can infer from that release:

1. The Blu-ray 3D specification allows for Full HD 3D (1080p each eye) -- stated earlier in release
2. The Blu-ray 3D specification also allows PS3s to play back BD 3D content in 3D

That's it.

To repeat, so it's clear that this thread is well motivated, the copywriter who knocked out that release did not explicitly say that the Blu-ray 3D specification allows the PS3 to play 3D BDs at the maximum quality afforded by that spec. I mean, just read the damn paragraph.

That's why the issue of the BD 3D playback spec on PS3 stood in need of confirmation. How can this be so hard for a careful reader to follow?

Not sure why this annoys me, but it does.
post #28 of 41
PS3 3D in action.

Where O where did I find these pictures. I will give you a hint. Not in Japan.
LL
LL
LL
post #29 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt73 View Post

The relevant facts you can infer from that release:

1. The Blu-ray 3D specification allows for Full HD 3D (1080p each eye) -- stated earlier in release
2. The Blu-ray 3D specification also allows PS3s to play back BD 3D content in 3D

That's all that needs to be said. What part of that press release leads you to believe it won't be Full 3D HD? Not one indication that it will be.

If you read that and assumed it was side by side HD, then I'm sorry but I stand by my idiot statement -- although I admit that I don't really think anyone who contributes to AVS Forum is an idiot, but everyone can be at times.
post #30 of 41
My question is will the PS3 still be capable of HD audio once it's doing 3D?

I'm getting so confused with all this crap about what I'll eventually need beyond the TV. Do I need a new receiver? Will I need a new blu-ray player if I want HD audio? Will I need both? Neither?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: 3D Source Components
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Source Components › Confirmed: PS3 WILL do Full HD 3D for BDs