or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Recommended Sub's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Recommended Sub's Thread - Page 3

post #61 of 94
You could probably put JL in a list all by themselves!

f110 $2,200.00

f112 $2,900.00

f113 $3,700.00

f212 $6,100.00

g213 $12,000.00
post #62 of 94
Definitive SuperCube Trinity Signiture Subwoofer

MSRP - $2999.00
http://www.definitivetech.com/Produc...Cube%20Trinity
post #63 of 94
Paradigm Sub 1 $3499
Paradigm Sub 2 $7499
Paradigm Sub 25 $3999
Paradigm Sub 12 $1999
Paradigm Sub 15 $2799
post #64 of 94
I just picked up the Martin Logan Dynamo 700. Its one of the best sounding subs I've had the pleasure to listen to. ML not on the list anywhere?
post #65 of 94
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by polkman1 View Post

I just picked up the Martin Logan Dynamo 700. Its one of the best sounding subs I've had the pleasure to listen to. ML not on the list anywhere?

I need to go through and add some subs (Craigsubs being one of them), but like I mentioned trying to stick with subs with mostly Internet Direct offerings (SVS, Ed, Outlaw) or massive followings here (Polk, ect). That way I can link to the sub's specs and point them to a thread to ask any questions they have about it which are all housed within this site.

Not against adding Martin Logan or others, just havent had time to update this thread.

Been in the hospital for 2 of the last 3 weeks. Looks like they might kick me out tomorrow and I am not allowed to return to work for 4-6 weeks so I will have time to go back through and update this list.
post #66 of 94
No worries.. get healthy. I'm just surprised that after listening to the ML with the exact same setup, that there wouldn't be more reviews on the dynamo 700. For $999 its incredible, especially if you get it on a sale like FS just had.
They were offering the sub at reduced price by $149, then on Thursday they had unadvertised prices for their VIPs (thats what they called it) so I got the sub for $599 and free pizza.

I should have gotten two at that price.

I really liked the psw 125 and the psw 111. Great subs for the money, but the ML dyanamo 700 is just so responsive and tight. I can't imagine ever going back. Sounds better than the SVS SB12-NSD that I considered at least to my ears.
post #67 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by polkman1 View Post

No worries.. get healthy. I'm just surprised that after listening to the ML with the exact same setup, that there wouldn't be more reviews on the dynamo 700. For $999 its incredible, especially if you get it on a sale like FS just had.
They were offering the sub at reduced price by $149, then on Thursday they had unadvertised prices for their VIPs (thats what they called it) so I got the sub for $599 and free pizza.

I should have gotten two at that price.

Not doubting ML makes some really nice stuff.
A 10" sealed sub that weighs less than 30 lbs does not seem like a huge bargain to me though. The wireless is a nice touch though.

For $599 and sealed you can get:

Chase Home Theater: CS 10.2 $400
Epik: Legend $499
Elemental Designs : A5s-300 $550
Emotiva: Ultra Sub 12 $499
post #68 of 94
Neither the Epik: Legend, Elemental Designs : A5s-300 or the Emotiva: Ultra Sub 12 sounded as responsive or as tight. Different ears I guess. What does the mass of the sub have to do with anything? Just curious. I mean if it was gold, then I can see it.
post #69 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by polkman1 View Post

Neither the Epik: Legend, Elemental Designs : A5s-300 or the Emotiva: Ultra Sub 12 sounded as responsive or as tight. Different ears I guess. What does the mass of the sub have to do with anything? Just curious. I mean if it was gold, then I can see it.

In the case of a subwoofer, two things.

1. The quality of the cabinet. A powerful subwoofer will perform better in a solidly built enclosure and one that has adequate bracing. At lower levels, not as much of a fatcor but at louder levels the internal pressure can produce mild flexing, especially in a sealed box.

2. The qaulity of the driver. More magnet weight equals more force factor to drive the woofer. If you want to see what a solid magnet structure and a sturdy basket looks like, check out the pics of the raw woofer in the ED sub mentioned above.

I don't doubt it (The ML) sounds great. But output wise and extension wise, we are talking two different flavors of subwoofers. I wasn't questioning the sound qaulity. Just that output capability is a big factor when things like "this is a great value" come in to play. Especially since ID companies have been raising the bar on how much sub you can get for your money.

I have nothing against B&M brands, just that I am not really seeing them keeping up in that respect.

BTW, you really have heard all of the subs I have mentioned?
If so, is it possible your ears preferred the steeper roll off of the single 10 over a deeper extension?
post #70 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgebsl View Post


BTW, you really have heard all of the subs I have mentioned?
If so, is it possible your ears preferred the steeper roll off of the single 10 over a deeper extension?

I have heard the ones I mentioned from your previous list. I do prefer the steeper roll off. Good call. Subs with deeper extension make me a bit ill. I've wondered if anyone else has the same reaction
post #71 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by polkman1 View Post

Subs with deeper extension make me a bit ill. I've wondered if anyone else has the same reaction

Quite the opposite for me. Movie scenes with deep stuff are a great deal of fun. Btw, what kind of extension makes you ill? I'd probably have saved alot of money if I responded to deep bass that way. Who am I kidding? I'd have spent it on something else I'm sure.
post #72 of 94
10" or 12"?

I'm looking for a sub for my new setup, room is 12 x 12 x 8, but opens on one end to a combined kitchen/dining/entrance way. I want to keep it as much below $300 as possible, but would go up to $350 if it'll make a big difference. Looking for tight and accurate over boom, prefer response for music over response for HT/gaming, though the sub will be used about 50/50. I'm in a condo. Subs will be paired w/Enery RC-50s/RC-LCR/Pio BS-41s if that matters.

The Emotiva 10" on sale looks great, but I'm wondering what the extra $100 buys for a room my size if I were to go to the 12". I prefer sealed to ported from everything I've read.

Alternatively, for $340 I could get two Lava 10" or at $360 shipped a Hsu STF-2.

This whole process has been a little confusing.
post #73 of 94
Need some help with sub choice. Price point is the key driver here. Have a set-up in my home office where I'm using my Macbook Pro , a HRT Music Streamer DAC and a pair of Dynaudio MC-15 (Powered desktop speakers). Great sound but no low end. Looking to add a less than $500 sub to the mix. Two big requirements:
  1. For hookup, I need to be able to run the 2 audio cables from the dac to the sub input and then run 2 cable from the sub output to the dynaudio speakers
  2. Small office so sub has to sound good without a lot of placement options

Appreciate reco's

Thanks
post #74 of 94
good thread
post #75 of 94
Always thought this was a pretty good compilation of the most popular subs here on AVS. Since the Epik Legend is out, although out of stock as of now), I suggest adding it to the list.
post #76 of 94
I second this...I am heavily debating getting this sub. Just looking for more user reviews and direct comparisons to similarly priced subs ($500-$700)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krakhen View Post

Always thought this was a pretty good compilation of the most popular subs here on AVS. Since the Epik Legend is out, although out of stock as of now), I suggest adding it to the list.
post #77 of 94
Wow I did not know this thread existed. Great thread, brilliant idea.

I have some suggestions:

1) Reword the title, its a little vague. Something like "MASTER LIST OF SUBWOOFERS by Price Range" would help it get more traffic (at least until it's stickied). This thread definitely deserves more traffic.

2) Lava subs:
LSP08 - $197.38 shipped
LSP10 - $245.99 shipped
LSP12 - $338.46 shipped

3) New sub shoppers tend to forget about factoring in shipping costs and such, so it'd be helpful if the price for each sub are indicated as being "shipped" or "before shipping" or "in-store" etc. That would really help paint a clearer picture of their options.
post #78 of 94
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by below90hz View Post

Wow I did not know this thread existed. Great thread, brilliant idea.

I have some suggestions:

1) Reword the title, its a little vague. Something like "MASTER LIST OF SUBWOOFERS by Price Range" would help it get more traffic (at least until it's stickied). This thread definitely deserves more traffic.

2) Lava subs:
LSP08 - $197.38 shipped
LSP10 - $245.99 shipped
LSP12 - $338.46 shipped

3) New sub shoppers tend to forget about factoring in shipping costs and such, so it'd be helpful if the price for each sub are indicated as being "shipped" or "before shipping" or "in-store" etc. That would really help paint a clearer picture of their options.

1) cant reword it unfortunately or I would

3) really dont want to think about shipping since it would vary person to person. This is more a list of what you can get and then you can either search local on audiogon, craigslist, ebay, ect or buy direct.
post #79 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post

1) cant reword it unfortunately or I would

You sure? I just edited one of mine by going to "advanced view"...
post #80 of 94
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by below90hz View Post

You sure? I just edited one of mine by going to "advanced view"...

I'll be darned...I always just looked at the text, never looked at the title part lol...

TGIF
post #81 of 94
awesome thread. Truly a big help!
post #82 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by below90hz View Post

Wow I did not know this thread existed. Great thread, brilliant idea.

I have some suggestions:

1) Reword the title, its a little vague. Something like "MASTER LIST OF SUBWOOFERS by Price Range" would help it get more traffic (at least until it's stickied). This thread definitely deserves more traffic.

Yeah, this slipped under my radar, too. Maybe a name change would increase visibility and thread traffic. This is a good thread.
post #83 of 94
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract67 View Post

Yeah, this slipped under my radar, too. Maybe a name change would increase visibility and thread traffic. This is a good thread.

It gets enough traffic, but without posts it gets buried under pages of new threads.....
post #84 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
It gets enough traffic, but without posts it gets buried under pages of new threads.....

Good point, I saw this thread awhile back and forgot about it because it sunk below the first few pages. TTT!!

I second the name change.

We could also help with keeping the sub links up to date. This is the newest for the CHT Subs.

Chase Home Theater

I am sure there maybe others that could be updated by people that follow the other companies.

Thanks again for your efforts.
post #85 of 94
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matman1970 View Post

Good point, I saw this thread awhile back and forgot about it because it sunk below the first few pages. TTT!!

I second the name change.

We could also help with keeping the sub links up to date. This is the newest for the CHT Subs.

Chase Home Theater

I am sure there maybe others that could be updated by people that follow the other companies.

Thanks again for your efforts.

I did try to change the name of the thread but am unable to. I can change how it is displayed on the first page of the thread, but it wont change how the forum displays the title (the original one it was submitted as}

I choose recommended subs in the title because you always get folks saying "recommend me a sub". if they list that this thread will pop up as a related thread and hopefully stop them from posting theirs lol..
post #86 of 94
how come SVS SB-12 NSD is not in the list?
post #87 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post

I did try to change the name of the thread but am unable to. I can change how it is displayed on the first page of the thread, but it wont change how the forum displays the title (the original one it was submitted as}

I choose recommended subs in the title because you always get folks saying "recommend me a sub". if they list that this thread will pop up as a related thread and hopefully stop them from posting theirs lol..

Maybe a mod would be kind enough to change it...I agree it needs a name change.
post #88 of 94
Why isn't the HSU VTF-15H in the 700-1000 range?
post #89 of 94
I have been looking all around AVS and wondering if I should pull the trigger on finishing my HT upgrade. I see the Craigsub 10.2 listed, this caught my eye due to dual drivers and relatively low price. I am just new when it comes to subs, been using a Sony sa-w2500 for a cpl years now since it was basically free. I do not have a large room and my main listening point is next to the sub (it is positioned in a wall corner where our main couch and loveseat leave a gap). I have been pleased with it but have the upgrade bug lol.

Would it really be a world of difference going with a BIC f12 or saving more for the 10.2? My placement of the Sony budget sub really gives it a boost and during heavy LFE scenes the little thing does shake the walls. I mainly use for movies, tv, and ps3. Or can I save my money for a rainy day?

My set up:

FR/FL: Monitor 50s
Center: Polk TL
Rear: some hand me down bookshelf (they do the job)
Sub: SA-W2500
AVR: Denon 591
post #90 of 94
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Recommended Sub's Thread