or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Haven on Syfy-HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Haven on Syfy-HD

post #1 of 243
Thread Starter 
Anybody heard anything about this one.


Syfy's all-new one-hour drama series Haven, starring Emily Rose (Jericho, Brothers and Sisters) is based on the novella The Colorado Kid from renowned author Stephen King. The series follows the shrewd and confident FBI agent Audrey Parker (Rose) who has a lost past, and arrives in the small town of Haven, Maine on a routine case. Before long, her natural curiosity lands her in the epicenter of activity in this curious enclave, which turns out to be a longtime refuge for people that are affected by a range of supernatural afflictions.

As the townspeople's dormant abilities begin to express themselves, Audrey helps keep these forces at bay while discovering the many secrets of Haven including one surrounding her own surprising connections to this extraordinary place.

The impressive creative team behind Haven includes showrunner Scott Shepherd (Tru Calling, The Dead Zone) who is joined by E1 Entertainment's John Morayniss (Hung, Copper) Noreen Halpern (Hung, Copper), Laszlo Barna (The Bridge) and Michael Rosenberg (Hung, The Riches) as well as his partners, Executive Producers Lloyd Segan and Shawn Piller (The Dead Zone, Wildfire, Greek). The pilot was written by Sam Ernst (The Dead Zone) and Jim Dunn (The Dead Zone) who will also serve as executive producers on the series.


http://www.syfy.com/haven/index.php
post #2 of 243
Sounds like a mash-up between ABC's new 'Happy Town' and 'Twin Peaks'.
post #3 of 243


Premieres tonight at 9pm.

It's SyFy so my expectations are low and the premise is pretty unoriginal (Paranormal Eureka, American-Gothic-lite, etc) but it's Stephen-King-related and summer television so ...
post #4 of 243
Looking forward to this but I don't hold high hopes for it. The Stephen King novel this is based on is one of his worse works, in my opinion. Not the typical Stephen King novel.
post #5 of 243
It's starring the chick from 'John From Cincinnati' (yes, I liked that show; so sue me), and Eric Balfour, who's like the kiss of death to a TV series. But if it's lame enough, it'll find enough viewers on SyFy to survive. It's only the occasional good, serious, adult-oriented science fiction effort that fails to find an audience there.

Their most popular series aren't the stellar and acclaimed BSG or the shamefully discarded 'Charlie Jade'; it's 'Warehouse 13', a pale imitation of what 'The Lost Room' could have been, and 'Eureka', and ghost hunting shows, and schlock "D" movies and, of course, rasslin'. They are what they are, and quality sci-fi isn't something they're terribly interested in.
post #6 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

It's starring the chick from 'John From Cincinnati' (yes, I liked that show; so sue me), and Eric Balfour, who's like the kiss of death to a TV series. But if it's lame enough, it'll find enough viewers on SyFy to survive. It's only the occasional good, serious, adult-oriented science fiction effort that fails to find an audience there.

Their most popular series aren't the stellar and acclaimed BSG or the shamefully discarded 'Charlie Jade'; it's 'Warehouse 13', a pale imitation of what 'The Lost Room' could have been, and 'Eureka', and ghost hunting shows, and schlock "D" movies and, of course, rasslin'. They are what they are, and quality sci-fi isn't something they're terribly interested in.

That "cchick" is apparently terrible in the role of an FBI agent. Junk like WHS 13 doesn't just copy LOST ROOM...it goes back at least as far as the old FRIDAY THE 13TH tv series. The junk on SyFy hasn't been lost on others. From the Variety review of HAVEN: "Despite its "Imagine Greater" promotional slogan, Syfy appears stuck in a bit of a creative rut." I'd call that an understatement! The problem with the SyFy channel is that their programming people have no affinity for the SF/Fantasy/Horror genres. And it shows!
post #7 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by film113 View Post

The problem with the SyFy channel is that their programming people have no affinity for the SF/Fantasy/Horror genres. And it shows!

I understand television is a business. And I understand the need to make a profit. But maybe the SyFy Network, being just another line item on the NBC Universal behemoth's ledger, has just outlived its usefulness. As you say, they apparently have no interest in quality or apparent understanding of the genre. It's a wonder 'Caprica' got produced at all - probably something to do with a development deal they made with Ron Moore.

Perhaps it's time for a real sci-fi network to enter the arena - one that's not simply a cog in a bigger, profit hungry machine. AMC seems to have hit on a winning formula by focusing on quality, and they understand you have to spend a little coin to get it. HBO makes a ridiculous profit, and manages to turn out high quality shows. The other premium networks like Showtime and Starz are doing the same. USA and FX have created an identity with decent shows that fit their genres and that are well produced and marketed. I don't know where it might come from, but why can't somebody who really cares about quality science fiction do something similar? There have to be enough of us to support a fledgling network which would make that commitment. SyFy certainly won't.
post #8 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Perhaps it's time for a real sci-fi network to enter the arena - one that's not simply a cog in a bigger, profit hungry machine.

No matter the intentions a niche network starts out with, eventually they all turn into ratings-chasing machines.

The age of the niche channel is dead. To be competitive they all abandon their original audience and throw everything at the screen to claw at some survival numbers. So even if a new science-fiction channel started that was pure hardcore SF and fantasy I would expect it to start showing game shows, Jaws and reality shows about dogs that can sense ghosts within two years.

Syfy may have changed their branding to give them a nomenclature that allows more diversity but the real problem is the channel is just creatively bankrupt with no ideas left and those they have are poorly done.

At this point my bar is set so low that it's not worth the effort to bend down and try to lift. Whatever it is will be cheap, set in the real world with a hint of SF-ness and feature a cast of youth-aimed twentysomethings.
post #9 of 243
The argument I always have though, at least with respect to Sci-Fi... is that people like science-fiction... lots of good sci-fi shows all over the dial.

So one wonders why a network devoted to SciFi (now devoted to Syfy) couldn't get more of those programs.

It's one thing when a genre doesn't have enough interest to get people watching... but when someone watches, for example, Fringe on FOX instead of some random non-sci-fi program on the Syfy channel... doesn't that actually prove that good sci-fi is wanted by the public?

I'd say if science-fiction programs were not in demand... that would be a message for Syfy to expand and try to get those viewers by varying the programming... BUT when Syfy is actually losing viewers in some cases to sci-fi shows on another network... it kinda says maybe IF they stuck to their guns and put money into acquiring and creating more quality sci-fi programming, maybe they would fare better.
post #10 of 243
Amen...and the thing is, quality SF need not be exepnsive! Look at films like PRIMER or Jerome Bixby's MAN FROM EARTH. BOTH of those combined probably cost less than just one of Syfy's CRAPOSAURUS VS MEGA-SLUG things. See, good SF only needs to have ideas ! I certainly don't mind having all genres in the programming, and that includes their boring CGI-monster pics. What bother's me is when that is ALL they offer. Everyone has different tastes, so I expect junk fairly often...but not ALL THE TIME!

I'd love to see a network with SF, fantasy, and horror...and programming with
integrity. I doubnt it would ever come about now. Unfortunately, since it won't be coming from the SyFy channel (remember, this is the channel that cancelled FARSCAPE in its last season...the show that put them on the map in the first place!), we must look elsewhere. Hoping the AMC WALKING DEAD series doesn't disappoint!
post #11 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Clemons View Post

Amen...and the thing is, quality SF need not be exepnsive! Look at films like PRIMER or Jerome Bixby's MAN FROM EARTH. BOTH of those combined probably cost less than just one of Syfy's CRAPOSAURUS VS MEGA-SLUG things. See, good SF only needs to have ideas ! I certainly don't mind having all genres in the programming, and that includes their boring CGI-monster pics. What bother's me is when that is ALL they offer. Everyone has different tastes, so I expect junk fairly often...but not ALL THE TIME!

I'd love to see a network with SF, fantasy, and horror...and programming with
integrity. I doubnt it would ever come about now. Unfortunately, since it won't be coming from the SyFy channel (remember, this is the channel that cancelled FARSCAPE in its last season...the show that put them on the map in the first place!), we must look elsewhere. Hoping the AMC WALKING DEAD series doesn't disappoint!


Remember, this is the channel that gave FARSCAPE a chance to begin with and produced 88 episodes plus a mini series. What more could you ask for on that series?
You may have arguments that are correct but slaming them for FARSCAPE is a weak one.
post #12 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agree View Post

Remember, this is the channel that gave FARSCAPE a chance to begin with and produced 88 episodes plus a mini series. What more could you ask for on that series?
You may have arguments that are correct but slamming them for FARSCAPE is a weak one.

I have to agree with Mr. Clemons. Yes, they gave it a chance...but the show also gave the channel an identity for the first time. It appeared on the cover of TV GUIDE twice, as I remember, was critically well-received, and gave the channel an identity and some prominence. (previously, it was known for VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA reruns, etc.) To cancel it abruptly after agreeing to five seasons, especially when the ratings were as good as (and often better than) GALACTICA, for example...and replacing it with pseudo-reality shows and non-stop STARGATE programs, showed little appreciation. As for the mini-series, it was in response to fan outrage and demand. Heck, when FIREFLY was dropped by Fox, it was offered to SciFi and they turned it down. Instead, we got junk like FLASH GORDON! Anyway, both FARSCAPE and BSG have been pretty much the high points of the channel in a 10-year span. Fans of the genre expected better and got much less so far.
post #13 of 243
Thread Starter 
Well, I didn't hate the show. It's definitely something to watch on Friday nights. It might develop into something, I'm more than willing to give it a shot. I liked the two leads, I thought they had pretty good chemistry together.
post #14 of 243
It will be interesting to see how it develops as it hits its stride. It sort of reminds me of a mix of "In Plain Site" with "Eureka".
post #15 of 243
I liked it its a pilot read my signature about pilots. The dialog especially that of the FBI agent reminds me of a little bit like veronica mars.
post #16 of 243
Like this show so far :-)
post #17 of 243
It looks like some of the Dead Zone crew (saw Pillar's name in the credits) are on this show... and of course immediately spotted Nicole DeBoer (or however that is spelled).

The show was sort of "meh"... Had I missed it I don't think I would feel bad... and yet I'll watch again next week and see how it goes. I too primarily stayed after Eureka because of seeing a tie-in to something Stephen King... but admit I have a short-attention span so this will need to get somewhere intriguing early on to hold my attention.
post #18 of 243
I thought it was pretty good. Of course I was sipping on some Tullamore Dew at the time. Did I catch an homage to X-Files with an "open to extreme possibilities" reference?
post #19 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeewing View Post

I thought it was pretty good. Of course I was sipping on some Tullamore Dew at the time. Did I catch an homage to X-Files with an "open to extreme possibilities" reference?

I thought it sounded a lot like a star trek reference "Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Spock
post #20 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by chestnu1 View Post

I thought it sounded a lot like a star trek reference "Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Spock

That's not Trek.

That's Holmes. Sherlock Holmes.
post #21 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

That's not Trek.

That's Holmes. Sherlock Holmes.

Must be both that is the exact quote from the star trek movie from last year.
post #22 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by chestnu1 View Post

Must be both that is the exact quote from the star trek movie from last year.

It was a quote from Sherlock Holmes from over a century earlier - like back in 1887. Further the Star Trek movie wasn't the first time that franchise referenced it, either. DATA used the phrase when appearing as Holmes in the holodeck in the Next Generation series. Spok may possibly have said it in the original series, too, but I can't be certain.
post #23 of 243
Besides, Sherlock Holmes was a real person and Spock was just a character in a TV show.

(Hey, some people actually do believe that!)
post #24 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Besides, Sherlock Holmes was a real person and Spock was just a character in a TV show.

That's ridiculous.

Spock is clearly real!
post #25 of 243
That was terrrrrrible.

Steven King cannot write for TV or movies.
post #26 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcc View Post

That was terrrrrrible.

Steven King cannot write for TV or movies.

I don't think King actually had much to do with this show at all actually... It merely says "based on the story by Stephen King"... which I take to mean someone called his agent and asked if it were ok to base a TV series around a concept in one of his stories... and some money exchanged hands.
post #27 of 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I don't think King actually had much to do with this show at all actually... It merely says "based on the story by Stephen King"... which I take to mean someone called his agent and asked if it were ok to base a TV series around a concept in one of his stories... and some money exchanged hands.

whoever they hired to adapt it stole money and hit copy paste, it's still too king-ish, it just doesn't work in this format.

at least they've made the woman the goofy/weird one and the man the straight laced partner in this series unlike....everything else.
post #28 of 243
I thought it was okay, it's only the first episode. Not sure about the lead though, she came off as rather annoying to me. If she was trying to pull off the smart-ass FBI agent persona, it really didn't work that well. Might be the actor, or the direction/writing she's been given, hard to say.
post #29 of 243
So the FBI agent in question believes in sending evidence to CSI and if that doesn't pan out it's automatically a case of the "supernatural"? Hey lady, you can't have it both ways!
post #30 of 243
Wow, this has to REALLY improve for me to keep watching. The acting was absolutlely horrible. That female FBI agent is a horrible actress. Wow, really took away from a cool premise. Bummer, I had high hopes for this show being a huge Stephen King fan.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Haven on Syfy-HD