or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp Aquos LC-60E88UN Owner's Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sharp Aquos LC-60E88UN Owner's Thread. - Page 48

post #1411 of 1527
I picked up the Motorola DCX 3200 dvr from Comcast the other day. Now I can set the resolution to native and it will automatically switch from 1080i to 720p with the broadcast. It also has 320 gb of storage. Anyway, in the advanced HDMI settings in the set up menu it gives the choice of YCC 444 or RGB color space settings. It defaults to the YCC when connected to this set. I was wondering if anyone bad some input as to which setting would be best.
post #1412 of 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerhd View Post

I picked up the Motorola DCX 3200 dvr from Comcast the other day. Now I can set the resolution to native and it will automatically switch from 1080i to 720p with the broadcast. It also has 320 gb of storage. Anyway, in the advanced HDMI settings in the set up menu it gives the choice of YCC 444 or RGB color space settings. It defaults to the YCC when connected to this set. I was wondering if anyone bad some input as to which setting would be best.

According to Motorola The DCX 3200 is a cable box, not a DVR?

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US.../DCX3200_US_EN
post #1413 of 1527
Trust me it's a dvr. There must be various versions. This one has 320 gb of recording space. I've recorded shows.
post #1414 of 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerhd View Post

Trust me it's a dvr. There must be various versions. This one has 320 gb of recording space. I've recorded shows.

I have a dct 3412, which is only a 120 gb dvr. I'm going to try to get a better dvr from comcast, but talking to them is a pain. I've read that the dcx 3432 is a 320 gb dvr.

What state are you in? I'm wondering if Comcast in Michigan, where I live, has different units than other states.
post #1415 of 1527
Oops. My bad. Let's try the DCX 3400 M. Sorry for the confusion on my end
post #1416 of 1527
Mass
post #1417 of 1527
Thread Starter 
Anybody have their set professionally calibrated yet? I'm trying to tweak my set and would love to get some ideas.
post #1418 of 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotaz View Post

My TV is turning off in the middle of shows and movies. It will go blank and then the info in the top right comes back on and the picture comes on. Now the PS3 has started losing the picture in the middle of movies. The HDMI cables have to be plugged and unplugged over and over, and sometimes it works to just turn the TV off and on. I'm getting very annoyed.

Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts? The PS3 is plugged into #6 with a Monster HDMI cable.

This is my first post on this thread. I came across it searching for anyone with similar HDMI port dropout issues. I purchased my TV from Abe's of Maine in March 2011 and have been very pleased with the picture quality. However, 2 of the 4 HDMI inputs (6 and 8) would intermittently drop out, sometimes for a few seconds and other times longer requiring me to turn the TV off and then back on again. Sometimes that would fix the problem but not always. After awhile, input 8 stopped working altogether.

I contacted Sharp about 6 weeks ago and was approved for in-home repair to have the main board replaced. After first sending the wrong board and then a second completely defective main board and having my TV opened up by Sharp-approved incompetent repair technicians who lost 3 screws (at least one inside the TV based on sound made when moving it), overtightened some screws, scratched the bezel, and my TV stand, I finally received a working main board which I installed myself. Guess what: now input 7 doesn't work. I only have 3 HDMI sources, but that is not the point - this whole experience is unacceptable. I will contact Sharp this week and see what they are willing to do for me .

Matt

P.S. I've tried at least a half dozen different HDMI cables that have always worked perfectly for me and shuffled the sources and inputs around to make sure it was a TV issue.
post #1419 of 1527
My HDMI port #5 is intermittent now, but never for more than a second. Of course, now my Sharp warranty is up (but I got the store's extended warranty) so perhaps I'll wait a few more months and try to coax a new TV from them?
post #1420 of 1527
Thread Starter 
It's sad to hear so many people having the hdmi dropout issue. It's even sadder that sharp still hasn't addressed it with a firmware update.
post #1421 of 1527
Sharp's support has been the worst I've dealt with, that's for sure. They're lucky that the product is (otherwise) very good and the price is right.
post #1422 of 1527
As to the issue of the screen going black/loss of signal momentarily issue. I am still experiencing this so I decided to contact Sharp once again about the issue with the screen going to black for a few seconds before regaining the signal/video.

I explained how many others are having the issue with their Sharp sets, how this is my second set of the same model which is exhibiting the same issue, different hdmi cables tried, that I have the latest released to the public firmware, and done all the service troubleshooting multiple times.

The rep was professional and said he would escalate this, I was happy that maybe I would get a new firmware or some setting change that should alleviate this issue. Today they called back wanting to schedule service to swap a few boards and see what happens. I declined and was asked why by the Sharp support rep. so I explained about having two sets with the same issue, the many people posting on this forum, how firmwares in the past have fixed these issues and also my concern about an inexperienced service tech causing more harm than good to my display. The person from Sharp on the phone assured me the boards would work and that he knew more than I did because in his own words "I work for Sharp". I then asked pretty much so you're an engineer working with these issues and he answered with something akin to "So are you declining service?". I said yes and said I was not upset with him but sharps response to this was very poor to not fix the firmware.

I understand the person from Sharp support I spoke with is not a higher up or engineer but the response to this issue is poor from Sharp. Tell me why the parts will fix the issue and what caused it. Usually a firmware is released for HDMI handshake/signal issues. In fact Sharp's last released firmware say's it fixes - "This Firmware Update improves performance on some digital and analog channels as well as improving performance of 1080i/720p signals input via HDMI. "

I feel I've done enough that without a better explanation from Sharp about why I should allow a stranger in my home with "parts" that may do nothing but make my display worse from other accounts I have read.

Does anyone else have this issue and have you been able to get it resolved?
post #1423 of 1527
Thread Starter 
Yes, I have this issue as well. I gave up trying to get an answer from sharp. The fact that it only happens occasionally has kept me from pulling my hair out. It happened on both sets I owned.
post #1424 of 1527
I'm just happy that it happens only on Port #5 for me... so far? Who knows, but at least it's avoidable. Pretty lousy support. I take it that this model was pretty popular - why the lack of firmware upgrades?
post #1425 of 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyv2 View Post

I'm just happy that it happens only on Port #5 for me... so far? Who knows, but at least it's avoidable. Pretty lousy support. I take it that this model was pretty popular - why the lack of firmware upgrades?

I would feel a lot more confident if they told me they had a batch of boards with the issue and the board they are sending out to replace resolves the issues.

What I fear from other accounts of service calls is a refurbished board and either the same issues or more issues after they repair. The old well "let's try this to see if it fixes it" approach and I rather not take what is an annoyance and turn it into a showstopping issue.
post #1426 of 1527
I actually obtained a verbal acknowledgment from a Sharp Service supervisor that this HDMI dropout is a known problem called "leakage". He said that swapping out the boards usually fixes the problem, but since I had 3 failed attempted fixes and a terrible experience with their approved technicians, they would swap out the TV for a newer LED model, lc-60le830u. I received this TV about two weeks ago and so far no dropouts. The picture is actually better on the lc-60e88un with better brightness uniformity and more natural colors. But at least the HDMI issue appears to be fixed (so far). Plus, LED uses less power, so that is a plus. Maybe I got lucky since my service experience was so bad - I still have a pretty big scratch on my TV stand .
post #1427 of 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbuoni View Post

I actually obtained a verbal acknowledgment from a Sharp Service supervisor that this HDMI dropout is a known problem called "leakage". He said that swapping out the boards usually fixes the problem, but since I had 3 failed attempted fixes and a terrible experience with their approved technicians, they would swap out the TV for a newer LED model, lc-60le830u. I received this TV about two weeks ago and so far no dropouts. The picture is actually better on the lc-60e88un with better brightness uniformity and more natural colors. But at least the HDMI issue appears to be fixed (so far). Plus, LED uses less power, so that is a plus. Maybe I got lucky since my service experience was so bad - I still have a pretty big scratch on my TV stand .

Wow with an experience like that I am very skeptical to allow Sharp approved techs into my house. I am glad they made it somewhat right with a new set though.
post #1428 of 1527
I am working with Sharp support still, they seem to think a new board will resolve this issue. They are trying to resolve this issue but I am of course leery of allowing them to do this because of reports of it not working and possible more issues after the repair. The only reason I am entertaining the idea of a repair is that it's gone from happening once/twice a week to once/twice a day at times. I don't mind once or twice a week of losing and reacquiring the video signal but almost daily that's becoming more than an minor annoyance.

I will keep everyone updated as to what happens.
post #1429 of 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briant73 View Post

I am working with Sharp support still, they seem to think a new board will resolve this issue. They are trying to resolve this issue but I am of course leery of allowing them to do this because of reports of it not working and possible more issues after the repair. The only reason I am entertaining the idea of a repair is that it's gone from happening once/twice a week to once/twice a day at times. I don't mind once or twice a week of losing and reacquiring the video signal but almost daily that's becoming more than an minor annoyance.

I will keep everyone updated as to what happens.

Mine got worse over time as well with the original board. One of the new boards appeared to have 3 out of 4 problem-free HDMI inputs. After a couple of days, I noticed ALL of them would occasionally drop out. I don't want to be discouraging, but unless my repairs came from a different batch of boards, the chances of problem-free operation for years (what you hope for when you buy a 60" TV) after repair seem negligible.
post #1430 of 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbuoni View Post

Mine got worse over time as well with the original board. One of the new boards appeared to have 3 out of 4 problem-free HDMI inputs. After a couple of days, I noticed ALL of them would occasionally drop out. I don't want to be discouraging, but unless my repairs came from a different batch of boards, the chances of problem-free operation for years (what you hope for when you buy a 60" TV) after repair seem negligible.

I have a feeling you are right. I wish Sharp would really work on finding a real fix to this issue, I still get the feeling they are just guessing what might fix it. I do know if I don't go through with the repair that's where it will stop on a resolution.
post #1431 of 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briant73 View Post

I have a feeling you are right. I wish Sharp would really work on finding a real fix to this issue, I still get the feeling they are just guessing what might fix it. I do know if I don't go through with the repair that's where it will stop on a resolution.

Good point - go through the motions that they want you to, and if the issue is not perfectly resolved, immediately contact them again. I doubt they will be too surprised to hear if you are still having problems and will then be more likely to offer a replacement model if it comes to that. Just sucks that it is a drawn out process .
post #1432 of 1527
I have had my 88un for just over a yr now. A item just happened this week.
My Aquos link will not connect to my Amp.
I have My PS3 and Cable box going to a Denon 2809 AVR then one HDMI to the TV. Not a problem.
I can watch TV via the speakers and when I turn on the AMp it would connect with Aquos link and I could control the AVR volume via the TV remote. I I turn off the amp It would display Aqous link disconnected and then play out the speakers on the TV.

Well 2 days ago my son said when he turned the amp off the sound never came back to the TV speakers.
To get it to work via the TV speakers I had to disable Aquos link in the TV menu. TV speakers startign working. But now when I enable Aquos on the Menu I cannot get it to link to the AMP.
It does not display "Aquos link connected"
The amp VOL will work with its remote but not teh TV remote.
Before the onscreen vol bar would dispaly as you raise the with the TV remote......while raising the AVR vol.

I tripled checked the settings....I think. as of now AQous link is enabled, but no joy linking to the AVR.

Any ideas out there. Thanks
post #1433 of 1527
Would those that have calibrated/tweaked their settings mind sharing what they feel is generating the best picture for them?

Thanks in advance!
TK
post #1434 of 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbuoni View Post

Good point - go through the motions that they want you to, and if the issue is not perfectly resolved, immediately contact them again. I doubt they will be too surprised to hear if you are still having problems and will then be more likely to offer a replacement model if it comes to that. Just sucks that it is a drawn out process .

Went through the motions today and here is the report
Sharp contracted Service Tech was professional and listened to me.
Sharp sent a "NEW" main board. This board actually was defective from the get go it appears. The display would not work if power was removed, instead it would turn on and then off with the power light blinking green.
Service Tech put in original board and said a new replacement will be ordered. I felt the Service Tech did a good job, and I know Sharp support is trying to fix the issue but until Sharp comes out with a real fix I doubt this is going to happen.

I checked and both my original board and the NEW replacement to fix the issue were the same part number and version (F). This leads me to believe that Sharp has not addressed the issue and is just swapping parts to see if it gets fixed. My guess is that either the board itself has a component that is subpar or the firmware needs updated.

I am not sure I am going to do next. I will keep everyone updated on what transpires.
post #1435 of 1527
Anyone compared thee 88un to the 830u or the 832un? Sharp might be doing an exchange if they can't fix my issue with picture loss.

Main things I care about are PQ, good viewing angle, Fast response for gaming, handles motion well.
post #1436 of 1527
Check post #1427. The main difference that I noticed is the brightness uniformity on the led model (830) is noticeably worse than with the LC-60E88UN, which is obvious in dark scenes. The colors are also a little artificial looking, with exaggerated yellows. But with enough tweaking I suppose that could be fixed. The off-axis picture may have been slightly better on the LC-60E88UN as well.
post #1437 of 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbuoni View Post

Check post #1427. The main differences that I noticed are the brightness uniformity on the led model (830) is noticeably worse than with the LC-60E88UN. The colors are also a little artificial looking, with exaggerated yellows. But with enough tweaking I suppose that could be fixed. The off-axis picture may have been slightly better on the LC-60E88UN as well.

Thanks. I was hoping maybe this years LED had corrected some of the disadvantages of edge lit led systems. PQ and off axis viewing are high on my list of plusses.

I have read on reviews some people mentioning shutting off the Quatron Yellow pixel with good results, have you tried that if it's an option?
post #1438 of 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briant73 View Post

Thanks. I was hoping maybe this years LED had corrected some of the disadvantages of edge lit led systems. PQ and off axis viewing are high on my list of plusses.

I have read on reviews some people mentioning shutting off the Quatron Yellow pixel with good results, have you tried that if it's an option?

No, not yet. I'm more picky with audio than video so I just turned down the yellow saturation to -12 and it seems good enough.
post #1439 of 1527
Just a theory here about the random picture loss issue.
The other day the repair guy tried to swap the main board with a new one that was defective so he put back in the original board. Though it's only been a couple days I have yet to notice the issue with random picture loss, too early to tell if anything has changed.

Could the issue be something as simple as a weak solder point somewhere on the board/hdmi connector? Maybe when the service tech did his work something aligned back up?

Just a theory feel free to comment.
post #1440 of 1527
I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH,and have an Xbox 360,Comcast DCX 3400,and a PS3 all connected to it through HDMI. When I had that connected to my older Panny 50" plasma, I would get the video dropouts when watching tv for about 3 seconds. It never happened with the 360 or the PS3. Now that I have everything connected to this TV using input 5, I get the video dropout, but it's only for 1 second and never happens with the 360 or PS3. I'm starting to think maybe my problem is the Comcast DCX 3400,since it never happens with the 360 or PS3.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp Aquos LC-60E88UN Owner's Thread.