or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp Aquos LC-60E88UN Owner's Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sharp Aquos LC-60E88UN Owner's Thread. - Page 51

post #1501 of 1527
^^^^^^
I agree that it probably was a dropout from the source and not the TV, when it happened to me it was usually video only.
post #1502 of 1527
I haven't had a dropout in ages. What I have had is a complete inability of my receiver (Onkyo 706) to pass 1080p from my PS3 to the 88UN. I resorted top limiting my PS3 to 1080i, which worked great for a while. Now, I have to have the receiver on a 1080i source for about 15-30 minutes before it decides to pass a video signal. Usually, it passes the audio immediately.

It's become a routine for me to turn on the receiver first, select the cable input, and tune in to a 480i channel. I get stuck watching TMZ or some other crap for 10 minutes or so, then I can switch to a 1080i broadcast and hopefully get video. Sometimes have to switch back and forth over several minutes from 480i to 1080i to finally get video on 1080i.

I have decided enough is enough, and ordered a Yamaha RX-A700 to replace the Onkyo. No more Audyssey, so hopefully YPAO is nearly as good.

In about 5 days, I'll know if all my problems are solved. Keep your fingers crossed.

BTW, anyone have thoughts on what to do with an Onkyo receiver that looks nearly new, but has an HDMI board that is apparently on it's way out? I'm recalling a certain Seinfeld episode....
post #1503 of 1527
I had an Onkyo 606 with a crap HDMI board. I sold it on craigslist. You can still use it for component video or as a garage radio. Just be up front about it then it's their problem.

I purchased a Yamaha A3000 as a replacement and love it. YPAO does a far better job correcting my room compared to the low end version of Audessey (2EQ) in my 606. I really like the sound my Yammy produces better than the Onkyo for music as well. I was looking at an A800 before the A3000 went on a ridiculous sale for black friday deals. Hope you enjoy your new AVR
post #1504 of 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durzil View Post

I had an Onkyo 606 with a crap HDMI board. I sold it on craigslist. You can still use it for component video or as a garage radio. Just be up front about it then it's their problem.

I purchased a Yamaha A3000 as a replacement and love it. YPAO does a far better job correcting my room compared to the low end version of Audessey (2EQ) in my 606. I really like the sound my Yammy produces better than the Onkyo for music as well. I was looking at an A800 before the A3000 went on a ridiculous sale for black friday deals. Hope you enjoy your new AVR

I'm sure I'll like it. I owned an RX-V992 for several years. I replaced it with the Onkyo 605 when I just couldn't live without HDMI anymore. I used to sell Onkyo equipment back in the early 90's and that stuff never broke down. Why Onkyo is having these problems now is beyond me.
post #1505 of 1527
I just found this thread on AVS. You can repair the HDMI board on Onkyo receivers by replacing a few capacitors. Maybe I'll try this after my new Yamaha is up and running. If it works, I'll sell it, noting the repairs.

Although it is entirely likely that I will be enjoying my new receiver (and My Sharp AQUOS!) and baseball season, and completely forget about fixing my 706....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1246078
post #1506 of 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvtdude View Post

I just found this thread on AVS. You can repair the HDMI board on Onkyo receivers by replacing a few capacitors. Maybe I'll try this after my new Yamaha is up and running. If it works, I'll sell it, noting the repairs.

Although it is entirely likely that I will be enjoying my new receiver (and My Sharp AQUOS!) and baseball season, and completely forget about fixing my 706....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1246078

you can also buy HDMI boards on Ebay for Onkyo PM me & i'll send a link
post #1507 of 1527
anyone sell their 88UM ? & what did you get for the display ?
I'm getting a Sharp AQUOS LC-80LE632U 80" full array LED & the wife don't want the 60" in the bedroom , So it's outta here ............
the 88Um has been a great display & I love it but want more Eye Candy Real Estate with a 80" you get all most double a 60" in screen acreage....
post #1508 of 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastslappy View Post

you can also buy HDMI boards on Ebay for Onkyo PM me & i'll send a link

I checked ebay. No 706 boards the other day. I wonder how reliable these boards are? Know anyone that ever bought one from ebay?

By the way, I'm getting much more use out of my 88un now that my Yamaha is in the mix, and I have had ZERO HDMI issues (knock on wood.)

I'm perfectly happy with a 60 inch set. I can't imagine owning an 80 inch display, though at one point I did say, "I'm perfectly happy owning a 42 inch...."
post #1509 of 1527
Would one of you mind measuring the size of the bezel, and the total screen? My wife wants a new t.v. and I like this one, but she doesn't want a new one with a giant bezel.

Any help would be great!
post #1510 of 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeyrot0214 View Post

Would one of you mind measuring the size of the bezel, and the total screen? My wife wants a new t.v. and I like this one, but she doesn't want a new one with a giant bezel.

Any help would be great!

Bezel 2" top & side ..3 1/2" bottom bezel . total 56 1/2" wide
post #1511 of 1527
Thank you sir! So are you excited about the new 80"?
post #1512 of 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeyrot0214 View Post

Thank you sir! So are you excited about the new 80"?

yep .. that 60" 88UM is basically the same panel as the 832-80" & i love my 88UM
post #1513 of 1527
have had this set for a little over 17 months perfect picture until late yesterday went to turn it on and bingo flashing green light.........
post #1514 of 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by comp56 View Post

have had this set for a little over 17 months perfect picture until late yesterday went to turn it on and bingo flashing green light.........

Ouch the 15 month warranty is ended but i would try these things

Call sharp
Unplug for awhile and try again
Possibly try a factory reset
post #1515 of 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briant73 View Post

Ouch the 15 month warranty is ended but i would try these things

Call sharp
Unplug for awhile and try again
Possibly try a factory reset

they replaced set thanks
post #1516 of 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by comp56 View Post


they replaced set thanks

Great news! What did you get another 88u or?
post #1517 of 1527
Does anyone who owns the LC60e88un have it connected to an OPPO 93?
post #1518 of 1527
Okay, sorry my first post is so long, and I admit I only read about 25 pages before I got tired and decided to post, so hopefully this hasn't been addressed yet. I have had my LC-60E88UN (which I love btw) hooked up to an LG LHB326 "home theater in a box" for about a year and all components have worked properly through the surround sound system. All components are hooked to the various HDMI inputs on the rear and side of the tv, and the tv and home theater system are connected with an optical cable. Today, the center and front right speakers abruptly stopped working while I was watching cable. I switched from cable input to home theater input and ran a speaker test, same result, two speakers not working. We have pets, so thinking some speaker wires had been chewed or pulled loose, I disconnected all speaker wires from all speakers and checked them for damage, found nothing. I then hooked all the wires back up and ran the speaker test again, all speakers working. Problem solved right? I wish!! I went back to the cable input, and now I'm only getting sound through the L&R front speakers. Same for all components. Nothing from the subwoofer, or the rear or center speakers. At this point no settings had been changed on any components, other than switching inputs on the tv, and running the speaker test. Went back to the speaker test and everything was working properly, good test tones on all speakers. I am stuck. I've tried various sound settings on both the tv and surround system, same result. I tried unplugging the entire system for 30 min hoping something needed to reset, same result. I have read manuals for both systems to ensure settings are correct, and they appear to be. Same result, no matter what component I use(video game systems, cable, bluray, etc) I only get sound from front L&R speakers. Thanks in advance if anyone can help. David
post #1519 of 1527
So, what's the problem with the TV? Maybe you should ask this in a HTIB thread for you particular model.

Personally, if the sound test provide sound on all the speakers, then you're physically in good shape.

Many TVs (regardless of input, and including the ) will only output stereo sound. You may have had virtual surround on your HTIB set to simulate the sourround sound. I'd start there. I'll have to check when I get home, but your best bet may be to output PCM over your optical connection.

All in all, your setup is not convetional and kinda backward. Usually, you have the HTIB be the cental component. You connect all the components to the HTIB (or A/V receiver) and then use the HTIB handle the audio and supply only the video to the TV.

TVs in general are made to be A/V receivers.
post #1520 of 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by neomaine View Post

So, what's the problem with the TV? Maybe you should ask this in a HTIB thread for you particular model.

Personally, if the sound test provide sound on all the speakers, then you're physically in good shape.

Many TVs (regardless of input, and including the ) will only output stereo sound. You may have had virtual surround on your HTIB set to simulate the sourround sound. I'd start there. I'll have to check when I get home, but your best bet may be to output PCM over your optical connection.

All in all, your setup is not convetional and kinda backward. Usually, you have the HTIB be the cental component. You connect all the components to the HTIB (or A/V receiver) and then use the HTIB handle the audio and supply only the video to the TV.

TVs in general are made to be A/V receivers.

I'm pretty sure that last sentence should read "are not made."
post #1521 of 1527
Thanks for the reply.

I finally figured out the problem.

I was using my Harmony remote instead of the factory remotes. My factory HTIB remote has one button that the Harmony dosen't have by default, and that is a sound effect button.

I guess when I unplugged the system, the sound effect setting was changed to a setting that don't use surround sound. Once I scrolled through the effects, I found that surround works on some settings, but not all. A rookie mistake for sure!

David
post #1522 of 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by dporter86 View Post

Thanks for the reply.

I finally figured out the problem.

I was using my Harmony remote instead of the factory remotes. My factory HTIB remote has one button that the Harmony dosen't have by default, and that is a sound effect button.

I guess when I unplugged the system, the sound effect setting was changed to a setting that don't use surround sound. Once I scrolled through the effects, I found that surround works on some settings, but not all. A rookie mistake for sure!

David

Nooooooooob!

Just kidding. It happens to the best of us.
post #1523 of 1527
Hi,

I have this set and experience both the intermittent hdmi dropouts discussed in this thread and having some devices like my PS3 just flat out not work on 2 of the 4 hdmi inputs.

My extended warranty is still in effect, but the tales of multiple mainboard replacements without solving the problem don't give me much hope that that would accomplish much.

However, I'd really really like this set to last me until OLED becomes viable. The edge-lit lcds are horrible for uniformity, plasmas are taking steps forward in pq, but backwards in IR resistance and/or buzzing, and the led full backlit, local dimming sets just cost way too darn much. So yeah, I'd like this set to last 6 more years or so, if possible..

Has anyone tried the following to get around the hdmi issue, and does it work well? Take a hdmi switch, run that to something like the hdfury to convert to component? You could split off the audio from the converter to a receiver as well. Unlike putting the converter on the far side of a receiver, the hdmi conversion still only has to be done once, so I imagine the lag is no worse than running straight to the TV hdmi ports? (Input lag is important to me heh)

Anyway, just a thought on how to salvage this great set for the years of (flawless) use we had hoped for it when we bought it.
post #1524 of 1527
I'd have it fixed , that's what you paid for .
If they replace it then sell the replacement unit & buy the 632 80" it's the best performer & it's back lighted
post #1525 of 1527
Hello,

I was at my brothers for Christmas.
He owns a Sharp Aquas LC46E77UN TV which displayed a few problems. (this thread on the 88 is the closest I could find to his)

In the darker shadows green blotches can be seen.
Also everyones lips are bright red looking like all the actors are wearing lipstick.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm hoping MellowMeatHead's callibration for the 88 will fix this problem.
Edited by Baron Blood - 12/30/12 at 9:09am
post #1526 of 1527
Though a good calibration may help, what you're describing is usually compression artifacts. Basically not enough bitrate to support the video being shown.
post #1527 of 1527

Hey guys. I applied the latest firmware update to this TV yesterday and my audio got messed up. It lost like twice its power. What used to be volume of 20 is like a volume of 40 now. How are we supposed to fix this? I used to never go above a volume of 20.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp Aquos LC-60E88UN Owner's Thread.