or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp Aquos LC-60E88UN Owner's Thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sharp Aquos LC-60E88UN Owner's Thread. - Page 2

post #31 of 1527
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegmi2 View Post

I've had my 88UN for 2 weeks now and I haven't noticed any white horizontal bands during dark scenes.

I also think the TV looks near perfect right out of the box. I would be interested in seeing MellowMeatHead's settings though...please post them or ill send you a PM and you can email them to me if you don't mind = )

Also, the bezel on the 88UN is all black, with SILVER/GRAY highlights at the bottom of the bezel only. No gold, but silver.

As for input lag, after turning off film mode and one other setting, dynamic contrast or something, I notice 0 input lag. Able to keep up my 1.30 K/D ratio on CODMW2, no prob,

Where did you get your 88UN from Jchas41?

I got mine from BB - Magnolia. You may be right about a slight silver highlight on the bottom bezel. Very slight though, I honestly didn't notice it until you mentioned that. It looks pretty much black to me, IMO it certainly isn't as noticeable as the E77 is.

Really glad to hear that you don't have any of the white bands, I'm hoping my new set will be more or less problem free.
post #32 of 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchas41 View Post

I got mine from BB - Magnolia. You may be right about a slight silver highlight on the bottom bezel. Very slight though, I honestly didn't notice it until you mentioned that. It looks pretty much black to me, IMO it certainly isn't as noticeable as the E77 is.

Yes, it is subtle, but the bottom of the bezel does in fact fade to a slight gray/silver color on the E88.

This also plays into my belief that it is (to an extent) silly to ask other people for the "perfect" or "optimal" settings for their TV.

Everyone sees and processes colors/shapes differently. Different people notice/see different things that others might not notice at all. What 1 guy sees as perfection, another might think is too warm or too cold...etc. There are also several other factors that play into what each individual will see as a "perfect" TV display...such as room color, ambient light, the type of lights you have in your room, whether or not you live in an apartment with a window that overlooks a large LED billboard that is stuck displaying a solid green image that shines into your living room at all times...etc.
post #33 of 1527
Hey Rob thanks for sharing...I got my TV delivered on Thursday but as we are moving have not had a chance to set it up. Would you mind posting the settings you are currently using until the prof calibration happens? Sure there are plenty of people on here who would like to use them as well as see any photos you can take of it.

Thanks ---
post #34 of 1527
Sorry for the delay. Not being stingy. I'll post them tonight (and to those who messaged me)

Give the settings a whirl and try them out with some eye candy BluRays.
post #35 of 1527
Here are 5 of 9 shots of the calibration/tweaking I did when I first got it. Hope anyone tries it out and likes it as much as I do. Next batch is right behind this one.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #36 of 1527
Here are the other shots.
LL
LL
LL
post #37 of 1527
Wow, lots of control to adjust things!
post #38 of 1527
@MellowMeatHead,

what about the "Film Mode", do you have it on or off ?? I'm getting the "Soap Opera" effect when I have it turned on. Does anyone else see this?
post #39 of 1527
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by katfishguy View Post

@MellowMeatHead,

what about the "Film Mode", do you have it on or off ?? I'm getting the "Soap Opera" effect when I have it turned on. Does anyone else see this?

Film mode does induce "Soap Opera effect", simply turn it off.
post #40 of 1527
Sorry. I have the film mode ON but only sometimes depending on what i am watching.
ie: looks funky on some movies like Dark Knight but looks AWESOME on eye candy movies like Watchmen and both Transformers movies.

I really hated the 240hrz (soap opera look) when i first saw it but am trying to get used to it as things just LOOK a lot clearer. But still... It's creepy looking at first. It is unbelievably cool for games like God of War 3!

Toggle between on and off while watching something and see the dramatic effect it has... I am still not a 100% believer in it but it makes motion much smoother.
post #41 of 1527
cool thx, I can't wait to get home so I can try your calibration settings.
post #42 of 1527
Thread Starter 
I wanted to provide an update on my situation with my problem set. Today I received my replacement E88 and I am happy to report it is 100 times better! Screen uniformity is way more even, with no trace of the horizontal lines my old set had. Blacks also look darker on this set, I'm sure as a result of less backlight bleeding.

Also, as an FYI, their is a new firmware update available for the E88. Released yesterday. Not sure what is does yet...
post #43 of 1527
Just got this TV yesterday to replace my 4 y/o 37" lcd. I hadnt realized how awful the PQ is for Uverse. Besides that, no complaints.
post #44 of 1527
Awesome, it looks like I found my next lcd, this model looks to be the last model available with a true anti-glare screen, and no 3-d ( thank goodness! )

I've been waiting especially for this set, I was waiting it out for the newer 2010 models, but after I lost my lunch after seeing the glare on the new models, I now know I want one of these in the new future.

Please, Please keep posting pics of your new set's, appreciate the feedback and the helpful info, thx.
post #45 of 1527
So are there any opinions on how the 88 compares to the 77. There isn't an 88 in my town yet and I'm curious if anyone has been able to do a back and forth comparison to see if the newer glass in the 88 is any "real" improvement.
post #46 of 1527
Does anyone have the issue of the tv taking numerous seconds while changing from inputs? whether it's a 480, 720 or even 1080(PS3) signals to a different resolution input?

It's really annoying. It may take up to 3-5 seconds to swap from my PS3 input at 1080p to regular cable input (regardless of whether it's a 480 or 720 signal.)

I thought a big winning feature that this tv boasted was that lag was supposed to be shaved down to nearly 0...

HELP!!!!
post #47 of 1527
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellowMeatHead View Post

Does anyone have the issue of the tv taking numerous seconds while changing from inputs? whether it's a 480, 720 or even 1080(PS3) signals to a different resolution input?

It's really annoying. It may take up to 3-5 seconds to swap from my PS3 input at 1080p to regular cable input (regardless of whether it's a 480 or 720 signal.)

I thought a big winning feature that this tv boasted was that lag was supposed to be shaved down to nearly 0...

HELP!!!!

Mine takes a couple of seconds I guess but, what's the hurry switching from PS3 to cable? Why is 3-5 seconds a problem? Maybe I'm not understanding the question.
post #48 of 1527
I checked the sharp site and there is very little info on this set. No PDF of the manual is available. I've seen conflicting specs on whether this has an ethernet port and/or a usb port. Not a deal breaker either way, just curious for those that have it already. Mine will be here on Friday
post #49 of 1527
To those with this set already:

I am considering this TV as the previous gen seemed to be a great buy, and this looks to be an even better buy. However, my concern is that it is NOT LED backlit.

Does anyone consider this a shortcoming of the set?

Would it be better to get an LED tv due to it being a "newer" technology. I know this has a different type panel that is highly praised, but with the amount of research I have done, I cannot decipher enough to make a purchase either way yet.

Thanks for the help!
post #50 of 1527
I don't have the set yet (it's delivered on Friday), but for the price ($1649 + Free Shipping at Dell) I couldn't pass it up. Hard to find a 60 inch LCD at all, much less one for a good price like that. A friend has a 55 inch LG LED TV and I wasn't all that impressed, and he paid close to 3k for his. My older Sharp 42 inch TV has a better looking image. .

I guess it would depend on what set you get, but so far I'm not impressed enough to spend the extra coin for LED yet. I think this set will do me for a few years until they get the kinks worked out of the LED/3D sets.
post #51 of 1527
that is the deal i am looking at as well. I was looking for a 55'' and even some 60''+ DLP sets that are on sale right now, but I really like my current LCD (42" Toshiba Regza 42HL167), so I am sticking with LCD.

I just dont want to be way behind the curve...I know tech changes rapidly and no matter what I buy now, it will become obsolete soon, I just dont want to spend this kind of money and be that far behind.

My biggest concern with a new tv, is really just getting better PQ than what I have now. The contrast ratio on my regza is good, but not great. I really want to see those deep blacks without having to go plasma.

I guess in the end, if I dont like it, I can always ship it back.
post #52 of 1527
I had LC-60E88UN barely over a week. I encountered two problems. First using the color calibration settings that MellowMeatHead posted I noticed my Blues and Reds were out of whack. They were too strong. I reset it back to factory defaults but the reds were blown out. Output was from my new Directv HR-24 DVR receiver. The reds were not blown out if I hooked the HR-24 on another TV.

I upgraded the firmware for the LC-60E88UN with no problems. The next day the LC-60E88UN would not power on. The power light will come one but no video. After 30 seconds the OSD light and power light will flash. Manually turning on the LC-60E88UN did not work including unplugging it from the wall overnight

Since I purchased this at Dell they were helpful in getting the TV returned back to them. They are sending same freight company to pick up the tv.

The only good thing that came out of this was my wife did not like the 60" size for our smaller living room so we might end up with 55" instead. My first TV purchase in 5 years and it broke within a week.
post #53 of 1527
For what its worth...over in the plasma forum there is a thread where black levels were compiled from many different displays. Although the testing was done from two different places the 77UN had a better black level measurement than the LE820. If the panel on the 88UN is an upgrade over the 77UN it "may" be even better, I don't know, I have yet to see black levels for the 88UN. But at the price point of these displays you have to like seeing things like that.
post #54 of 1527
got the Dell deal. It will be delivered on my birthday, how great is that.

Looked at an 810 here locally and they are having a Memorial day sale but it would have been quite a bit more and I don't need alot of the stuff it has. Going to wait on LED to mature. They did not have the 88 only the 77 and 810.
post #55 of 1527
@cthetoy:

Wow... sounds like the calibration settings I posted were some sort of secret, self-destruct code... Not sure about the reds or blues being bloated on my set as they look pretty accurate to me but I wonder if your tv's self-destructive tendencies had anything to do with the color being bizarre?

Sorry to hear that happened but happy they were good on getting it off for you with a quickness.
post #56 of 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstate09 View Post

To those with this set already:

I am considering this TV as the previous gen seemed to be a great buy, and this looks to be an even better buy. However, my concern is that it is NOT LED backlit.

Does anyone consider this a shortcoming of the set?

Would it be better to get an LED tv due to it being a "newer" technology. I know this has a different type panel that is highly praised, but with the amount of research I have done, I cannot decipher enough to make a purchase either way yet.

Thanks for the help!

I think the 88UN is an awesome TV, had mine for about 3 weeks now and had no problems. I think the blacks are great, theres almost no glare at all, and i made very little adjustments to the settings right out of the box.

Having said that, i feel it is somewhat silly to ask strangers what they think is the "best TV". Heck, maybe im color blind or cant see reds and never realized it and here I am giving other people advice over the internet on PQ of different TVs. Maybe I have the thickest coke bottle glasses youve ever seen.

The only way YOU are going to be happy is if YOU do your own research and decide by yourself what TV you think looks the best. Thats what I did...and I am very happy with my purchase.

Regarding LED, i agree with the post above, its too new for me right now and all this local dimming, edge lit, back lit...they havent figured out what works best and which technology will last. CCFL has been around for years and has been mastered...for me I have confidence in this technology and it has proven itself over the years...and it's less expensive. Theres no point in me owning a 1.5" thick LED TV.

Now go out and buy an 88UN, because I said so. = )
post #57 of 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellowMeatHead View Post

@cthetoy:

Wow... sounds like the calibration settings I posted were some sort of secret, self-destruct code... Not sure about the reds or blues being bloated on my set as they look pretty accurate to me but I wonder if your tv's self-destructive tendencies had anything to do with the color being bizarre?

Sorry to hear that happened but happy they were good on getting it off for you with a quickness.

Does this model have reset buttons on the TV at all?

Both my previous two Sharps in cluding my 57" have an issue where everytime a power failure occurs the panel has self protective system that for whatever reason takes the display out of service and I have to go through an inlaid reset button on the rear of the panel - the panel must stay off for awhile to reset and then it displays again and my last two Sharps have had these settings even though it's annoying as hell and the first time it happened I'd though my display had died as you get audio and no video - it's even covered in the owners manual on the older panels.

Otherwise if Sharp still has this built in it would be easy to think the panel is defective when the power system protected it during a power outage. I actually hope they made it self corrective now as it's a PIA when it happens since it takes some time to recycle and panel to reset so it displays - kepp in mind my 57" is over 3 yrs old now so Sharp may not require jumping through those hoops anymore as it could easily confuse an owner into thinking the panel is dead.
post #58 of 1527
surge protector will fix that...
post #59 of 1527
I have had this set for 2 weeks. I purchased 3 tvs from Magnolia and set them up in my house. This Sharp beat out the 65" paniconic viero and the 63" Samsung plasma. I had lag during gaming (360/ps3) called sharp and the rep told me that the tv was so new that they had not yet gotten the specs for it. However he did say to turn off fine motion control and to turn off cinema mode. I did and I have zero lag. This TV is fantastic. I read some comments and someone mentioned this set was not LED....it is. I still have the specification sticker on the side of my TV that says LED. Not LIKE LED, so it is a true LED. Of course all LED are in fact LCDS <------ I am feeling like Dr. Seuss! The 240hz on this set make it seem to me when Im watching that I am actually on the set of the movies. So lifelike it is unreal. No motion blur at all to report. This is straight out of the box. Speakers on the TV are terrible, you will need a sound bar or surround, whichever is clever!
post #60 of 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by veragoxx View Post

I have had this set for 2 weeks. I purchased 3 tvs from Magnolia and set them up in my house. This Sharp beat out the 65" paniconic viero and the 63" Samsung plasma. I had lag during gaming (360/ps3) called sharp and the rep told me that the tv was so new that they had not yet gotten the specs for it. However he did say to turn off fine motion control and to turn off cinema mode. I did and I have zero lag. This TV is fantastic. I read some comments and someone mentioned this set was not LED....it is. I still have the specification sticker on the side of my TV that says LED. Not LIKE LED, so it is a true LED. Of course all LED are in fact LCDS <------ I am feeling like Dr. Seuss! The 240hz on this set make it seem to me when Im watching that I am actually on the set of the movies. So lifelike it is unreal. No motion blur at all to report. This is straight out of the box. Speakers on the TV are terrible, you will need a sound bar or surround, whichever is clever!

What Sharp do you have?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sharp Aquos LC-60E88UN Owner's Thread.