or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official JTR Orbit Shifter Subwoofer Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official JTR Orbit Shifter Subwoofer Thread - Page 25

post #721 of 1182
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

Agreed but maybe their room is easy to get spl, sitting close, or whatever. I understand though, a dual driver LMS 5400 would get 112 dBs at 20hz outside at 2 meters. At 4meters(typical listening distance) it would be 106 dBs. Now add for boundary and pressure gain.

MK, no harm meant but I thought we just had a discussion about the S2 and its ability on the sub ownership thread. Quoting you,
"That is what I have been saying. A Cap S2 can play loud above 20hz and duals would certainly be able to play reference and beyond above 20hz as well. I mean if dual Cap S2s can play 133 dBs already why get dual OS to play 139 dBs? I will use my room as an example because I know my room gain profile which adds to any sub. Say an OS can hit 133 dBs from 20hz and up. At 10 hz I will be able to hit 121 dBs. Now a CapS2 can hit 127 dBs from 20hz and up and hit 127 dBs at 10hz! Now both subs can hit reference in my room but the sealed cap is much smaller and have headroom throughout the band, the OS will only have headroom above 20hz. Reference level bass with redirected bass will ask for over 121 dBs from time to time so the OS may not always provide what I need at the lower frequencies where the CapS2 will. That extra headroom will never be used over 20hz. The room gain one gets is not as important as your goals because no matter what more displacement is needed down low and even outside sealed subs will play under 12hz louder. If one wants to play 130 dBs of music then the OS is the obvious choice because it can do it!

Were you talking strictly with your room gain capabilities or something else. I thought we were talking outdoor measurements here. Were we not?
post #722 of 1182
Just going off of Jeff's max spl numbers(most likely at 50-70hz) and my room gain profile. Different results in a different room. Dual CapS2s might not hit 127 dBs in my room, it takes about 8 18's to do that. I was just pointing out that if the CapS2 will provide one enough spl above 20hz it would be much flatter below as well. If more SPL's were needed above then you have to add another(if you wan to keep it flat) or get an OS.
post #723 of 1182
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

I can't imagine why anyone would voluntarily travel from San Diego to Sacramento but if you ever find yourself in that unfortunate circumstance, come by for a visit and hear/feel what real bass overkill sounds like. smile.gif
Thank you, If I ever make it up there, I will take you up on it, although I am scared that I will not only be blown away by the bass, I will probably hear the difference between the big and small Noesis and want to upgrade those as well.
post #724 of 1182
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

I can't imagine why anyone would voluntarily travel from San Diego to Sacramento but if you ever find yourself in that unfortunate circumstance, come by for a visit and hear/feel what real bass overkill sounds like. smile.gif
I'm at the midway point of L.A.
post #725 of 1182
So I was moving the beast around today and noticed that the program button on the amp was sticking out. Can anyone tell me what this button does?
post #726 of 1182
Thread Starter 
LA is one of the places in CA that is worse than Sacramento. Bakersfield is another. :-)


Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post

I'm at the midway point of L.A.
post #727 of 1182
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

LA is one of the places in CA that is worse than Sacramento. Bakersfield is another. :-)

Worse for what?

Traffic?...or catching the ugraditus bug?
post #728 of 1182
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

LA is one of the places in CA that is worse than Sacramento. Bakersfield is another. :-)


Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post

I'm at the midway point of L.A.
i love it here! I actually live 30 min NW of LA.

So does anyone know what the program button on the amp does and don't say switch programs lol
post #729 of 1182
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Worse for what?

Traffic?...or catching the ugraditus bug?

It is a long standing North vs South thing. We Northerners have a general disdain for the Southern part of the state (would be a desert without our water wink.gif) .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post

i love it here! I actually live 30 min NW of LA.

So does anyone know what the program button on the amp does and don't say switch programs lol

Glad you have found your little piece of heaven smile.gif

Re the button, i do not recall a "program button". Only a mute button that I inadvertently hit and thought my amp had died ... tongue.gif
post #730 of 1182
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Worse for what?

Traffic?...or catching the ugraditus bug?

It is a long standing North vs South thing. We Northerners have a general disdain for the Southern part of the state (would be a desert without our water wink.gif) .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post

i love it here! I actually live 30 min NW of LA.

So does anyone know what the program button on the amp does and don't say switch programs lol

Glad you have found your little piece of heaven smile.gif

Re the button, i do not recall a "program button". Only a mute button that I inadvertently hit and thought my amp had died ... tongue.gif
Us southerner's pretend the north is really Oregon tongue.gif

There is a program button right next to the mute button. I actually got a hold of Jeff and he says it is non-functional for the OS.

Im sure Jeff was wondering why I'd be calling him about a random button on the amp while I'm in line for space mountain at Disneyland.
post #731 of 1182
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post

Us southerner's pretend the north is really Oregon tongue.gif

There is a program button right next to the mute button. I actually got a hold of Jeff and he says it is non-functional for the OS.

Im sure Jeff was wondering why I'd be calling him about a random button on the amp while I'm in line for space mountain at Disneyland.

Except up here in Oregon we don't get into the 100's during the summer. I have heard of some of those days as far north as Redding. actually heard someone mention 110 once. Said that you went from indoors to indoors with ac wherever you went. I guess it gets hot up to Meford OR...Up in Eugene we are finally getting consistent warm weather. Perhaps I do need those Orbit Shifters in attempt to shift the climate! Love a good beer on a hot day!
post #732 of 1182
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

It is a long standing North vs South thing. We Northerners have a general disdain for the Southern part of the state (would be a desert without our water wink.gif) .

I get where you are coming from. I grew up in Northern California (Livermore) and even though I have lived outside of Northern California longer than I lived there, I still can not bring myself to identify as a Southern Californian.
post #733 of 1182
Ok you guys caught me. My real reason for getting an OS was to try and get the fault line to splinter north and south biggrin.gif
post #734 of 1182
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post

Ok you guys caught me. My real reason for getting an OS was to try and get the fault line to splinter north and south biggrin.gif

Well I have been trying to do the same for two years now. I am beginning to think false advertising.confused.gif
Orbit Shifter! yeah right ... can't even get the San Andreas Fault to burp. smile.giftongue.gif
Edited by RMK! - 7/10/13 at 10:52am
post #735 of 1182
I am curious to get everyone's feedback on whether a pair of OS LFUs are what I "need." My theater room is a finished attic above a portion of the garage. 22 wide by 30 deep with a load bearing 7x7" column at 17 feet from the screen wall where the projector is mounted. There is a "bump out" which leads to the rest of the house which I may enclose to limit sound transfer to the rest of the house (seemingly fruitless without big expense) which is another almost 1,000 cu ft. Peak ceiling height is around 10 feet sloping to just under 5 feet on each side of the screen and the back wall. So room is approx 6,000 cu ft total. Primary listening position is 16.5 feet from the screen wall just in front of the load bearing column. Screen is 150" (unpainted area in photo accommodates 150" diagonal at 16:9). I currently have 2 Epik Empires. One of them is having an issue that I have yet to diagnose and may not get fixed given the state of Epik. I am planning on moving on from the Empires to my "dream subs" (I know, famous last words) and a pair of OS LFU seem to fit the bill since WAF doesn't really apply in this room. I have 23" from the floor to the base of the screen, so just enough to lay down an OS LFU on each side of the lower center channel with the mains just outside of the screen. I know the LFU are intended to be upright, but I thought I saw photos of others setting them up this way. Alternatively, I could place one in each corner of the screen wall outside of the mains.

Other gear is an Emo UMC200 preamp, Emo XPA3 powering the front stage (L&R Energy RC70s and dual RCLCR centers above and below screen, EMO UPA2 powering the surrounds (Energy towers) and a beefy T-amp powering the rear surrounds (also Energy).

I want visceral impact which it seems the OS has in spades perhaps more than any other sub. Your thoughts and input greatly appreciated.

post #736 of 1182
Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoProdigy View Post

I am curious to get everyone's feedback on whether a pair of OS LFUs are what I "need." My theater room is a finished attic above a portion of the garage. 22 wide by 30 deep with a load bearing 7x7" column at 17 feet from the screen wall where the projector is mounted. There is a "bump out" which leads to the rest of the house which I may enclose to limit sound transfer to the rest of the house (seemingly fruitless without big expense) which is another almost 1,000 cu ft. Peak ceiling height is around 10 feet sloping to just under 5 feet on each side of the screen and the back wall. So room is approx 6,000 cu ft total. Primary listening position is 16.5 feet from the screen wall just in front of the load bearing column. Screen is 150" (unpainted area in photo accommodates 150" diagonal at 16:9). I currently have 2 Epik Empires. One of them is having an issue that I have yet to diagnose and may not get fixed given the state of Epik. I am planning on moving on from the Empires to my "dream subs" (I know, famous last words) and a pair of OS LFU seem to fit the bill since WAF doesn't really apply in this room. I have 23" from the floor to the base of the screen, so just enough to lay down an OS LFU on each side of the lower center channel with the mains just outside of the screen. I know the LFU are intended to be upright, but I thought I saw photos of others setting them up this way. Alternatively, I could place one in each corner of the screen wall outside of the mains.

Other gear is an Emo UMC200 preamp, Emo XPA3 powering the front stage (L&R Energy RC70s and dual RCLCR centers above and below screen, EMO UPA2 powering the surrounds (Energy towers) and a beefy T-amp powering the rear surrounds (also Energy).

I want visceral impact which it seems the OS has in spades perhaps more than any other sub. Your thoughts and input greatly appreciated.


Dual OS's on a suspended floor eek.gif yeah I think you wouldn't have much issue bringing down your house with dual OS's.
post #737 of 1182
Dual OS LFU's =
post #738 of 1182
Get er' Done
post #739 of 1182
Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoProdigy View Post

I am curious to get everyone's feedback on whether a pair of OS LFUs are what I "need." My theater room is a finished attic above a portion of the garage. 22 wide by 30 deep with a load bearing 7x7" column at 17 feet from the screen wall where the projector is mounted. There is a "bump out" which leads to the rest of the house which I may enclose to limit sound transfer to the rest of the house (seemingly fruitless without big expense) which is another almost 1,000 cu ft. Peak ceiling height is around 10 feet sloping to just under 5 feet on each side of the screen and the back wall. So room is approx 6,000 cu ft total. Primary listening position is 16.5 feet from the screen wall just in front of the load bearing column. Screen is 150" (unpainted area in photo accommodates 150" diagonal at 16:9). I currently have 2 Epik Empires. One of them is having an issue that I have yet to diagnose and may not get fixed given the state of Epik. I am planning on moving on from the Empires to my "dream subs" (I know, famous last words) and a pair of OS LFU seem to fit the bill since WAF doesn't really apply in this room. I have 23" from the floor to the base of the screen, so just enough to lay down an OS LFU on each side of the lower center channel with the mains just outside of the screen. I know the LFU are intended to be upright, but I thought I saw photos of others setting them up this way. Alternatively, I could place one in each corner of the screen wall outside of the mains.

Other gear is an Emo UMC200 preamp, Emo XPA3 powering the front stage (L&R Energy RC70s and dual RCLCR centers above and below screen, EMO UPA2 powering the surrounds (Energy towers) and a beefy T-amp powering the rear surrounds (also Energy).

I want visceral impact which it seems the OS has in spades perhaps more than any other sub. Your thoughts and input greatly appreciated.

the bass will be crushing especially on a suspended floor. even on my concrete basement floor they are rediculous. I have run mine laying down on thier sides and upright but when upright I keep the horn towards the floor. I have seen them run the other way up but I had better in room FR with them down. That room is going to be a lot of fun! Just curious what mains and amps are you planning on to keep up with the monsters?
post #740 of 1182
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrown105 View Post

the bass will be crushing especially on a suspended floor. even on my concrete basement floor they are rediculous. I have run mine laying down on thier sides and upright but when upright I keep the horn towards the floor. I have seen them run the other way up but I had better in room FR with them down. That room is going to be a lot of fun! Just curious what mains and amps are you planning on to keep up with the monsters?

The horn opening is on the 22.5" wide side, right? If so, that would mean that if I put them in front of my screen laying down on either side of my center, the horn opening would be firing towards me or towards the wall. Any problem with that? More importantly, is that ideal? I just want to make sure that if I spend this kind of money on subs, that I use them in the most ideal orientation to get the most out of them. Even if the "most" if more than I will ever care to experience, lol.

Other gear is an Emo UMC200 preamp, Emo XPA3 powering the front stage (L&R Energy RC70s and dual RCLCR centers above and below screen, EMO UPA2 powering the surrounds (Energy towers) and a beefy T-amp powering the rear surrounds (also Energy).
Edited by PianoProdigy - 7/29/13 at 8:10am
post #741 of 1182
Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoProdigy View Post

The horn opening is on the 22.5" wide side, right? If so, that would mean that if I put them in front of my screen laying down on either side of my center, the horn opening would be firing towards me or towards the wall. Any problem with that? More importantly, is that ideal? I just want to make sure that if I spend this kind of money on subs, that I use them in the most ideal orientation to get the most out of them. Even if the "most" if more than I will ever care to experience, lol.

Other gear is an Emo UMC200 preamp, Emo XPA3 powering the front stage (L&R Energy RC70s and dual RCLCR centers above and below screen, EMO UPA2 powering the surrounds (Energy towers) and a beefy T-amp powering the rear surrounds (also Energy).

Your room would be the perfect layout for an AT screen and false wall combo to hide all of your speakers behind and an OS.

Just some food for thought. smile.gif
post #742 of 1182
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Your room would be the perfect layout for an AT screen and false wall combo to hide all of your speakers behind and an OS.

Just some food for thought. smile.gif
very good point on the AT, it would be ideal at least for the LCR. Prodigy, as a starting point I would place the OS on thier sides with the horn opening facing forward but all the way to each side wall so the horn is in the corner. It greatly increases the output especially on the low end. I have verified this in my room, just as Jeff states on his website it greatly extends the horn length. I say starting point because once you start measuring it is entirely possible you like the overall smoothness of response by using other locations. Still it would be a very good starting point IMHO. It is going to be a lot of fun setting those up.
post #743 of 1182
The fact that lbrown105 and jbrown15 are both replying to me with usernames so similar was throwing me off for a second! I had thought about an AT screen, but I ended up ordering a fixed frame 150" Elite for a steal ($600 shipped). There is another 8 feet or so of unfinished attic space directly behind the screen wall as well that could potentially be utilized. I think I have decided though to keep the theater somewhat simple for now and try to make it feel "finished" while leaving open the possibility of doing something with the screen wall in the future. Yes, I did read about corner loading extending the horn length, and that could be a placement idea as well. Anyone know what the approximate lead time is on a pair of LFUs?
post #744 of 1182
Will dual OS LFU dip below 10hz? I've read that OS is best 20hz and up. I'm in the market for a dual setup right now. Which will be my last upgrade for a while so I wanna make the right decision. I have dual S2 or OS LFU in mind. Or submersive f2 master/slave combo (2X) which be a total of 8 15" drivers. This upgrade will go up front stage. Thanks.
post #745 of 1182
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post

Will dual OS LFU dip below 10hz? I've read that OS is best 20hz and up. I'm in the market for a dual setup right now. Which will be my last upgrade for a while so I wanna make the right decision. I have dual S2 or OS LFU in mind. Or submersive f2 master/slave combo (2X) which be a total of 8 15" drivers. This upgrade will go up front stage. Thanks.

Hi rhed,

with dual OS LFU you should get 106 dB @ 1m/2Pi
post #746 of 1182
at 10 Hz
post #747 of 1182
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZivkoF View Post

at 10 Hz

Thanks..
post #748 of 1182
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post

Thanks..
In my room with dual OS my F3 point is lower than the posted graph. I am not on my main computer right now so i can't post it but it is about 14Hz and at 10Hz -6db.
post #749 of 1182
In case anyone is interested, I just put a pair up for sale.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190880764801

Lightly used.
post #750 of 1182
I am going to post this in both the OS and CAP sealed threads since I have been highly considering both the OS and CapS2. I have been doing a bit of research into the SubMersive with the release of this Master/Slave combo. Since I could get the HP enclosure design at 3600 pre shipping for the pair! Thats dual submersives! I really like the visual look of the F2 cabinet better but $500 more is no chump change. All my research I have attempted to take off the fanboy perspective as I admit it gets me sometimes. Especially when one is looking at these amazing products and reads the satisfied customer reviews! Of course I ruffled a few features mentioning JTR and posting JTR sub graphs in the submersive forum. Man, people can get defensive about their brands! So any of you that looked into Seaton along your journey? Opinions?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official JTR Orbit Shifter Subwoofer Thread