or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Camcorders › The Official Panasonic HDC-HS/SD/TM700 Owners thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Panasonic HDC-HS/SD/TM700 Owners thread - Page 44

post #1291 of 1624
The reason I actually got back here after close to 6 months is - has anything changed in the land of 60p editing tools?

In all these months since owning TM700 I've edited just 2 or 3 videos, everything else is either just archived in original MTS format, or was just re-encoded to smaller resolution and/or bitrate so I could upload it on-line, and joined/concatenated so it's not in several files. To be exact, I just simply re-encode raw 60p MTS files with XviD4PSP 6 DAILY to one of my two custom MP4 presets, one is simply re-encoding to some 4-5Mbps & AAC@384kbps keeping the rest of settings intact (1080/60p/5.1/H.264/...), and than I join it using the MP4box CLI command: "mp4box -add 00458.mp4 -cat 00459.mp4 -cat 00460.mp4 -inter 0.5 my_video.mp4" - to get single MP4 file that can fit on single layer DVD. Other preset is done the same, but I throw it to 720p/30p/2mbps & stereo/AAC/128kbps so I can stream them on-line on my web page, again, concatenated to single file so they are easier to watch uninterrupted.

But in both cases I don't actually do editing at all (no audio track changes, no fades, no cuts, no intros etc).

Now that season is closing to it's end I'm thinking of doing an overview of the season, and I'll have some 60 hours of video to go through, cut, add some slow-mo shots, background music and audio tracks, etc. CS5 was dead-slow in those 2-3 edits I did with 60p files, at least on my computer. Even without any effects, preview was just terrible..and I can't force myself to watch & edit 60 hours of video like that.

So question is, again, simple - what's new? Which app to use? I don't need 16 layers of video or massive effects, all I need is tool that has smooth preview so I can easily find cutting points, and later on add a background track of some kind and perhaps add few slow motion effects. And of course, render it back out @1080/60p as I want the cuts to look as good and as smooth as original recording.

Was there updates for CS5 to support ATI hardware? Did Edius do something new like adding a 60p output support? Had some new player emerged in the market? I'd be grateful for any info, and I'll take it from there.. I'm just not in mood of downloading half a dozen apps again, updating them all, and than trying it myself. I'd probably skip the "season summary" than, as I simply have no time for it all :/

Ok, that's it from me.. and for the end - just a "hi" to everyone that I haven't "seen" in this long time while I was absent from forum Cheers!
post #1292 of 1624
I'm a console guy and I do everything on linux. I use mplayer to watch the mts files. I turn on osd so I can see where to cut. I mux the mts to matroska container for better cutting. I cut it using ffmpeg using libx264. If I want fade to black or the other way, I use ffbmc. Finalize them with mp4box.

Forgot, I use mencoder if I want to make a clip slower or faster.
post #1293 of 1624
Crazy question, when shooting objects (phones), I'm getting a red light that looks like a sniper rifle in my videos. Any way to avoid this?
post #1294 of 1624
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeinck View Post

Crazy question, when shooting objects (phones), I'm getting a red light that looks like a sniper rifle in my videos. Any way to avoid this?

post process it like in avisynth. They have a filter that you can use to overlay/block an area. Ffmpeg will support this feature on their next release.

Or prior to taking, cover it with black electrical tape.
post #1295 of 1624
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeinck View Post

Crazy question, when shooting objects (phones), I'm getting a red light that looks like a sniper rifle in my videos. Any way to avoid this?

Isn't this the Red recording LED on the front to show the camcorder is recording? You can usually go into the menu settings and turn this off.

Regards

Phil
post #1296 of 1624
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxZg View Post

So question is, again, simple - what's new? Which app to use? I don't need 16 layers of video or massive effects, all I need is tool that has smooth preview so I can easily find cutting points, and later on add a background track of some kind and perhaps add few slow motion effects. And of course, render it back out @1080/60p as I want the cuts to look as good and as

Powerdirector is worth a look if you are prepared to pay for a NLE. Sure it does have the 100s of tracks and zillions of effects but it also does a decent job of playing the clips smoothly, simple cuts and fades AND can export to 1080p60 with no appreciable difference in quality after a simple tweak or two.

BUT it is notoriously fickle on different machines. I have an older Quad core Intel processor and a newish Nvidia video card and I can edit smoothly, and render 1080p60 quickly with good stability.
post #1297 of 1624
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1rtu0s1ty View Post

post process it like in avisynth. They have a filter that you can use to overlay/block an area. Ffmpeg will support this feature on their next release.

Or prior to taking, cover it with black electrical tape.

Yea, this kind of "#$%ed me off in my aquarium footage. (Which, by the way, aquariums need to drop some kind of grey card into the tank so we can set WB according to lighting in the tank...I wonder if it would help)

So, I checked my menu. Set "recording lamp" to off.


Sorry I cant advise OP....my computer couldnt begin to handle your needs, hopefully somebody else can help. However, if you just transfer it back to the cam, you could do all your dividing and deleting on the camcorder on TV, then you can throw into the editing program already divided and deleted, etc. The HD Writer software is also fairly efficient for that purpose, though obviously not for audio tracks, etc. 60hrs though...whew....talk about backlogged...
post #1298 of 1624
I want to share something & it's quite laughable.

First, Windows Aero is enable.
Second, it's a mobile device
Third, it's a dual core
Fourth, ain't a core i7

Pic of proof:


It's stutter of 1fps time to time if you start to open files & all, but yes... It can playback video of the TM700.

Laptop are notoriously weak. Indeed Windows Media Player Classic Home Cinema X64 seem the most suitable software to playback the MTS of the TM700.

You can clearly see it's written Core i5 430M.

I just uncheck every single hardware accelerator & it run fine.
post #1299 of 1624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Deap View Post

I want to share something & it's quite laughable.

First, Windows Aero is enable.
Second, it's a mobile device
Third, it's a dual core
Fourth, ain't a core i7

I have an oldish 2.2 GHz Phenom machine, and it plays 60p just fine, at about 70% CPU load. So no wonder that the newer i5 has no problems with it.
post #1300 of 1624
My current new computer is an I7 with a GTX470 card so obviously the files playback just like Mini DV. With it's specs, I would have been very pissed if it didn't play them flawlessly.

Still, my old 2.4Ghz Core2Duo laptop even plays the 1080 60p files perfectly fine although the CPU usually hovered over 90% I believe. It can sometimes depend on how your computer is set up. If you have too many things running in the background, that could be an issue.
post #1301 of 1624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

I have an oldish 2.2 GHz Phenom machine, and it plays 60p just fine, at about 70% CPU load. So no wonder that the newer i5 has no problems with it.

I was referring to this post. Like I've mentionned Windows Aero is turned on.

Well a desktop CPU as more raw power than mobile CPU. They cannot be compared apple to apple. Your oldish 2.2ghz Phenom is probably a lot faster than my Core i5 notebook....

A never mind.. according to this chart: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Your Phenom is way at the bottom of the chart & my notebook CPU is about the same strenght from this chart.

Well if you head over the mid end chart you can spot the group of Intel Core 2 Duo... Sorry, I underestimate the strength of my notebook CPU.

I'm quite impressed by Paulo Teixeira claim about a Core2Duo laptop being able to play video of the TM700 very fine. Can you show me proof?

In my opinion on the matter, I believe the Core i5 430M is pretty much at the limit to run those. Max time for TM700 60P video files without being plugged on the wall would be probably less than 45min of laptop use.
post #1302 of 1624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Deap View Post


In my opinion on the matter, I believe the Core i5 430M is pretty much at the limit to run those.

What's your CPU Usage (of course with Hardware Acceleration disabled)?
post #1303 of 1624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Deap View Post

Your Phenom is way at the bottom of the chart & my notebook CPU is about the same strenght from this chart.

Exactly. I have an old and slow CPU. Still, it is capable to display 60p, and Vegas 10 is rather snappy too. With the Splash + Nvidia combination I get 5%-7% CPU load and fluid playback, so I don't care if my computer is not as fast as newer ones.
post #1304 of 1624
I wish I can prove it but at the state my laptop is in at the moment, that's not possible. I used to mention this a lot back then and you'll read posts with people who have very good computers not being able to play it properly and their were posts with people with computers not as powerful not having issues.

It's a Vista with DivX installed and I used Windows Media Player as well as Splash to play back the files. Plus it's a Sony laptop that comes with a Blu-Ray burner so perhaps it was more configured properly for video playback than the norm. Still, I'm usually disabling things in the task manager such as update services, etc. That can take up some of your computer's resources.

Also, when playing back files in a computer like that, you need to make sure you don't have many other things opened up and even having lots of web pages opened up can eat up some of your computer's resources.
post #1305 of 1624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post

I wish I can prove it but at the state my laptop is in at the moment, that's not possible. I used to mention this a lot back then and you'll read posts with people who have very good computers not being able to play it properly and their were posts with people with computers not as powerful not having issues.

It's a Vista with DivX installed and I used Windows Media Player as well as Splash to play back the files. Plus it's a Sony laptop that comes with a Blu-Ray burner so perhaps it was more configured properly for video playback than the norm. Still, I'm usually disabling things in the task manager such as update services, etc. That can take up some of your computer's resources.

Also, when playing back files in a computer like that, you need to make sure you don't have many other things opened up and even having lots of web pages opened up can eat up some of your computer's resources.

Do you think anybody could throw up a few directions and screen shots of how to disable the hardware accelerations....because of the japanese language of my computer I have to hunt down images of each step in order to figure out which buttons to push...it gets really tedious, but I would love it if that enabled me to at least play 108060i clips....Windows Vista Premium here.
post #1306 of 1624
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCfreddy View Post

Thanks Rico for starting an OWNERS thread. It's my hope that we get much better SNR on Panasonic HS/SD/TM700 here and pull a bunch of owners from the other thread.

I don't care about debating product XYZ features against my TM700 camcorder. I can easily go somewhere else for that

Anyways, does anyone use a multi-coat UV filter for the HS/SD/TM700?
I've seen a few different manufacturers for the 046mm type.
Any manufacturer recommendations?

Yea B+W best I heard
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Haze_010.html

and a B+W circular polarizer
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._66099529.html

Best website and theres an online chat to from the custumer service which is great.
post #1307 of 1624
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe View Post

What's your CPU Usage (of course with Hardware Acceleration disabled)?

It run around the 72~68% but I've seen it topping 82% depending of the video content with very rare small drop of 1 frame.


Don't laugh at my memory notebook. I am aware that 8GB is overkill for a mobile device(the worst part is that I can still add 2 dimm, but I won't do it, because I know that 4GB will do the job just fine). But it was the less expensive of the bunch & had decent overall spec.

My notebook actually has 2 hard drive inside & it also come with a bluray drive with a decent resolution(higher than 720P).
post #1308 of 1624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Deap View Post


Don't laugh at my memory notebook. I am aware that 8GB is overkill for a mobile device


I don't know who posts that, I have 8GB in my Dell Studio XPS w/i5 520M / Windows 7 64 Bit, purchased with 4GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Deap View Post

It run around the 72~68% but I've seen it topping 82% depending of the video content with very rare small drop of 1 frame.

k, I'm about 5-10% less...have not seen over 74%.
post #1309 of 1624
Recenlty received my TM700 and love it. I tried to rewrap a 60p file with clipwrap and it plays at about half speed on quicktime, vlc, and plex. Any ideas?
post #1310 of 1624
I'm assuming your trying to play this on a MAC and in that case, I really can't come up with better options than what you already tried. With Windows, theirs Splash, Nero, Windows Media Player, etc.
post #1311 of 1624
Yes dual core iMac. The odd thing is that the raw files actually play back quite well with Quicktime(with Perian), even better than VLC. Plex plays them back better than expected also, not perfectly but good enough for casual viewing. PS3 plays them perfectly on my Pioneer Kuro. However when they are rewrapped with Clipwrap everything plays them back half speed.
post #1312 of 1624
I have a MacBook Pro with a Dual Core 2.4 and 4 GB of RAM. I am running a Windows 7 Ultimate vitural machine on it and want to install Power Director 9 Ultra to deal with the files. I figure if I do this I will need to devote 3 GB of the RAM to the Windows 7 virtual machine. Anyone have any luck with this scenario or similar?
post #1313 of 1624
I need advice on a good fluid pan head. I have a tight budget of under $100. I already have a Dolica tripod, http://www.amazon.com/Dolica-AX620B1.../dp/B001D60LG8 that I will use for legs for the meantime until I can budget better. This tripod has a 3/8" thread and a hook to add a weight so it should get me by with a high quality pan head. I have narrowed it down to:

Weifang WF717A
Davis & Sanford V12
Manfrotto 128RC

All these come in around $75 shipped.
Appreciate any owner feedback. Thanks.
post #1314 of 1624
Quote:
Originally Posted by maseo503 View Post

I need advice on a good fluid pan head. I have a tight budget of under $100. I already have a Dolica tripod, http://www.amazon.com/Dolica-AX620B1.../dp/B001D60LG8 that I will use for legs for the meantime until I can budget better. This tripod has a 3/8" thread and a hook to add a weight so it should get me by with a high quality pan head. I have narrowed it down to:

Weifang WF717A
Davis & Sanford V12
Manfrotto 128RC

All these come in around $75 shipped.
Appreciate any owner feedback. Thanks.

Has it ever occured to you that you need to start a NEW thread instead of polluting this thread with the questions irrelevant to this thread?
post #1315 of 1624
Hey guys, I am in need of a babysitter and was wondering if you had any good links to review sites i could check out.
post #1316 of 1624
Quote:
Originally Posted by galileo2000 View Post

Has it ever occured to you that you need to start a NEW thread instead of polluting this thread with the questions irrelevant to this thread?

Seeing as I'm a TM700 owner... seems relevant. Considering this video camera low weight, I wanted advice from other owners since weight plays a part in pan and tilt smoothness. Is my question any more irrelavant than post asking other TM700 owners what advice they have on NLE and software players that support 1080 60p editing or blu-ray players that play native mts files from the camcorder? sheesh.
post #1317 of 1624
Quote:
Originally Posted by workinghard View Post

Hey guys, I am in need of a babysitter and was wondering if you had any good links to review sites i could check out.

Me too, she needs to be 18+ and good looking.
post #1318 of 1624
Quote:
Originally Posted by maseo503 View Post

Seeing as I'm a TM700 owner... seems relevant. Considering this video camera low weight, I wanted advice from other owners since weight plays a part in pan and tilt smoothness. Is my question any more irrelavant than post asking other TM700 owners what advice they have on NLE and software players that support 1080 60p editing or blu-ray players that play native mts files from the camcorder? sheesh.

I was just playing with you myself, though it is a bit more off topic than how to play 1080p60 files, given at the time they were the only ones really executing the 1080p60 so well, and playing them is fairly critical to the actual function of the camcorder, in terms of acquiring useful footage anyway (have yet to succesfully author a 1080p60 clip with MUltiavchd myself, thoguh I have not spent a lot of time figuring out how to use it yet)

but, I dont know about tripods, woot has this bad boy though not quite what you were asking for

Sunpak Carbon Fiber Tripod with Pistol Grip Handle
$99.99

Product:
1 Sunpak PRO523PX2 64" Carbon Fiber Tripod - Pistol Grip, Quick Release, Adjustable Legs & Ctr Column

http://www.woot.com/?afsrc=1

Any good?
post #1319 of 1624
Quote:
Originally Posted by workinghard View Post

I was just playing with you myself, though it is a bit more off topic than how to play 1080p60 files, given at the time they were the only ones really executing the 1080p60 so well, and playing them is fairly critical to the actual function of the camcorder, in terms of acquiring useful footage anyway (have yet to succesfully author a 1080p60 clip with MUltiavchd myself, thoguh I have not spent a lot of time figuring out how to use it yet)

but, I dont know about tripods, woot has this bad boy though not quite what you were asking for

Sunpak Carbon Fiber Tripod with Pistol Grip Handle
$99.99

Product:
1 Sunpak PRO523PX2 64" Carbon Fiber Tripod - Pistol Grip, Quick Release, Adjustable Legs & Ctr Column

http://www.woot.com/?afsrc=1

Any good?

I see your point, yet one can argue the definition of useful footage. Which can include buttery smooth pans and tilts. Something you wont find in cheaper heads. I appreciate your reply and the woot deal. But I'm looking for a head that is more pro. Hopefully an enthusiast will chime in who has one of the higher-end fluid pan heads.
post #1320 of 1624
Quote:
Originally Posted by maseo503 View Post

I see your point, yet one can argue the definition of useful footage. Which can include buttery smooth pans and tilts. Something you wont find in cheaper heads. I appreciate your reply and the woot deal. But I'm looking for a head that is more pro. Hopefully an enthusiast will chime in who has one of the higher-end fluid pan heads.

Have a look at the 717AH here and on Ebay (about $80). Emm at Cheesycam likes it and reviews it, with video: http://cheesycam.com/hidden-treasure...id-head-717ah/
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Camcorders
AVS › AVS Forum › Other Areas of Interest › Camcorders › The Official Panasonic HDC-HS/SD/TM700 Owners thread