Been making some progress on the top part of the center cabinet. It has been going pretty good, and I just put the facing on today (dont have pictures of that yet). I have some pics to share of what I have so far.
Given my space constraints with the center channel speaker, I decided that I would make the bottom panel removable. The screen wash lights (12V) have a quick disconnect that will allow me to slide the panel out giving me full access to the inside of the cabinet.
This board will serve as the back support for the bottom panel. I also added some side guides to help with holding in place.
The board on top in this picture (which I forgot to take pictures of during construction) is the bottom panel. It is 9' 10" across and made of 3/4" birch plywood. I added 'wings' via biscuits and pocket screws to a standard 8' board to get the length I needed, and sanded flat. The arc length was made by a giant 12'+ compass. Had to do a bit of math to get the exact value I needed, but it worked out. That served as my template from which I would cut the soffit header and footer boards. I used 2x12.10 for those.
Here is the trace for the header and footer. I just used a circular saw as it would have taken all day with the jig saw. Some relief cuts help the blade move through w/o binding.
This is the header mounted to the ceiling.
Getting everything lined up and level so that I can cut the support bars.
Here is the carcass for the front. Will be wrapped with 1/4" ply then 1/4" birch.
Next was the center channel. I struggled with trying to figure out how to hang it. It is almost 11" tall and weighs quite a bit. I built a 'swing' for it to sit on which was mounted to the ceiling, but even that might not give me enough clearance. I am debating just using cables to hold it, but that can wait. Here is what the swing looked like. Again, this might go away..
Nylon coated wire, shelf is about 4' across.
Here is the C7 sitting on the swing...wish I could turn it on...
Here are some pics of the screen lights. I used the same 12v 20w lights that I have on the sides of the theater. These are using a separate 80w transformer which is mounted to the front wall.
This is a pic of the assembly of the pigtail that will be used to plug them in.
The bottom panel with screen lights installed and wiring complete.
This is the transformer and bulkhead. It sits on the front wall. Easy enough to reach up and unplug/plug the screen lights when removing the panel, but hopefully I wont have to do that too much when all is said and done.
This is a peek inside with the pigtail plugged in..
Here is the bottom panel installed with the lights on. The trim on the bottom of the soffit will be attached to the bottom board and be part of that assy. I will use a few screws to hold the front of the panel in place, but they will be hidden from view by the trim.
More pictures to come of the sheeting, which went on today. Sorry for the long post, got a bit behind. Thanks for reading. Comments always welcome.