or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Soundbars › Samsung HW-C450 / HW-C451 "AudioBars"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung HW-C450 / HW-C451 "AudioBars" - Page 2

post #31 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by l3ftonm3 View Post

The Sony ct-150 and ct-350 both come with a soundbar that is under 3in tall.

Thank you very much!!
post #32 of 204
anyone know the difference between the 450 and 451?
just the different number for models at certain stores?
post #33 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmodel88 View Post

anyone know the difference between the 450 and 451?
just the different number for models at certain stores?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it is the finish on the front. I saw one the other day that was glossy black, and at another store I saw one with a dark brushed metal look. I didn't ask the sales guy, but figured that was the difference. So guessing you could match the glossy to a glossy TV or the matte to one of the models like the c6500 or c6800
post #34 of 204
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmodel88 View Post

anyone know the difference between the 450 and 451?
just the different number for models at certain stores?

the color / finish. black or the finish of the bd6500 blu ray player is
post #35 of 204
Hey guys, for those that have the soundbar wired to a ps3 with a digital optical cable. What audio settings did you change on the ps3?
post #36 of 204
I picked up this soundbar a couple months ago and have been pretty happy with it but I found it doing something occasionly that I wonder if anyone else has experienced. I had the TV hooked up to optical 1 and the blu-ray to optical 2. When watching TV it would for no apparent reason switch to optical 2. I thought it might be trying to get a signal from the blu-ray even thought it was not on so I switched the inputs (TV to optical 2 and blu-ray to optical 1). Now it will switch to analog (nothing is connected to the analog input). It doesn't happen very often maybe once or twice a week and I have the auto power feature set to "on". I'm thinking this phenominon could be caused by the auto power feature. If I can only find a remote to operate this in conjunction with the TV (so far no luck) I can probably set the auto power feature to off.

Mike
post #37 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambooben View Post

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it is the finish on the front. I saw one the other day that was glossy black, and at another store I saw one with a dark brushed metal look. I didn't ask the sales guy, but figured that was the difference. So guessing you could match the glossy to a glossy TV or the matte to one of the models like the c6500 or c6800

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinjs123 View Post

the color / finish. black or the finish of the bd6500 blu ray player is

oh ok thanks. where did you see them? best buy?
post #38 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmodel88 View Post

oh ok thanks. where did you see them? best buy?

Yep, it was at 2 different bestbuys.
post #39 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambooben View Post

Yep, it was at 2 different bestbuys.

So i went in today and figured out the differences betwwen the 450/451.
The 450 has the black glossy finish and the 451 has the brushed aluminum
finish found on this year's led tvs. If you have a black tv then the brushed
aluminum finish would go with it pretty nicely since it doesnt stand out too much.
post #40 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvalley View Post

I picked up this soundbar a couple months ago and have been pretty happy with it but I found it doing something occasionly that I wonder if anyone else has experienced. I had the TV hooked up to optical 1 and the blu-ray to optical 2. When watching TV it would for no apparent reason switch to optical 2. I thought it might be trying to get a signal from the blu-ray even thought it was not on so I switched the inputs (TV to optical 2 and blu-ray to optical 1). Now it will switch to analog (nothing is connected to the analog input). It doesn't happen very often maybe once or twice a week and I have the auto power feature set to "on". I'm thinking this phenominon could be caused by the auto power feature. If I can only find a remote to operate this in conjunction with the TV (so far no luck) I can probably set the auto power feature to off.

Mike

UPDATE!!!

I found a universal remote to operate this soundbar, and an inexpensive one at that (retails around $20). The Sony RM-VL600 is an 8 device learning remote with macros that will control all features of the soundbar along with my Directv DVR, Panasonic TV and blu-ray. There is no code in the manual that will program the soundbar but I was able to program it via the learning method from the keys on the original remote.

Now I can disable the auto power feature and still turn everything on and off with the press of one button. I found these locally for less than half retail so I bought two of them and using one in the bedroom, works great.

Mike in SW Mich
post #41 of 204
trying to buy this locally off craigslist and the posting says

Items Included:
[Included Item] soundbar
[Included Item] subwoofer
[Included Item] optical cable
[Included Item] remote control
[Included Item] manual
[Included Item] original box
Items NOT Included:
[Missing Item] audio cable

anybody know what the audio cable is and if I could easily buy one? thanks
post #42 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz0527 View Post

trying to buy this locally off craigslist and the posting says

Items Included:
[Included Item] soundbar
[Included Item] subwoofer
[Included Item] optical cable
[Included Item] remote control
[Included Item] manual
[Included Item] original box
Items NOT Included:
[Missing Item] audio cable

anybody know what the audio cable is and if I could easily buy one? thanks

The missing audio cable is probably just the left and right analog cable (red and white) that comes with just about every piece of audio/video equipment. If you need to use it and don't already have one you can pick them up anywhere for a couple bucks. In other words, if you want to buy it don't let the missing audio cable stop you. I must have about 20 red and white audio cables laying around that still have the twist tie on.

Mike
post #43 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz0527 View Post

trying to buy this locally off craigslist and the posting says

[Missing Item] audio cable

anybody know what the audio cable is and if I could easily buy one? thanks

3.5mm Stereo Plug/2 RCA Plug Cable - 6ft
post #44 of 204
oh alright I think I have one lying around anyway if I have to use it. Thanks for the help.
post #45 of 204
ok newb question my power button is illuminated in red instead of white should i be concerned
post #46 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltideray View Post

Hey guys, for those that have the soundbar wired to a ps3 with a digital optical cable. What audio settings did you change on the ps3?

yo rollti

heres how to change your settings for the ps3. i just did the same thing last night. change it to optical out.

http ://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/3_15/settings/audiooutput.html

cant post urls so just copy and paste.
post #47 of 204
Has anyone heard this and the new sony soundbars?
I'm still trying to decide which one to get
post #48 of 204
If the blue light on the subwoofer stays on does that mean it's connected? I didn't hit the reset button the back but the blue light stays on and when I did finally hit the reset button nothing happened. The manual says it is suppose to blink but it did nothing just stays blue.
post #49 of 204
I noticed when NOT in smart sound mode, there's a noticeable "skip" in the sound about every 15 or 30 minutes. Not sure if this happens every time the TV is on, but I do notice it sometimes. I have a Panasonic HDTV connected to the soundbar with the optical cable.

When I get the sound skip issue, the display briefly switches from "DIGI 1" to "PCM" before switching back.

Relatedly, I think, are definite sound volume jumps when the smart sound is turned on - when not going to commercial. It's really annoying - so much so, that after 30 minutes, I turn off smart sound. For example, I'll be watching the news, and the announcers voice will suddenly drop down a notch. Not completely, but enough to notice.

Anybody have these issues?

-> UPDATE: I hooked up the optical cable directly from the DirecTV box to the soundbar and this - so far - has solves the issue.
post #50 of 204
So if i have an xbox and a htpc. Which one should pass through audio via the tv and which should connect to the soundbar directly? Can someone explain what the guy said above about passing dolby digital signals directly to the sound bar? Does it lose some infomation if passed indirectly via the tv?
In this regard, would the sony soundbars be better because all systems can go directly to the soundbar?
post #51 of 204
The outputformat or processing of the TV depends on the TV you have.

I have not searched any information about my TV but hooked up my PS3 directly with my HW-c450 and the sound was *much* more dynamic then when it came from the optical output of my TV.
post #52 of 204
My Samsung 2009 LED TV says:

"When the Home Theater receiver is set to On, you can hear sound output from the TV’s Optical jack. When the TV is
displaying a DTV(air) signal, the TV will send out 5.1 channel sound to the Home theater receiver. When the source is a
digital component such as a DVD / Blu-ray player / Cable Box / Satellite receiver (Set-Top Box) and is connected to the
TV via HDMI, only 2 channel sound will be heard from the Home Theater receiver. If you want to hear 5.1 channel audio,
connect the digital audio out jack on DVD / Blu-ray player / Cable Box / Satellite receiver (Set-Top Box) directly to an
Amplifier or Home Theater, not the TV."

I'm guessing the soundbar needs 5.1 info to simulate surround on its 2.1 speakers.
So does this mean for the best sounds, i need both xbox and htpc connect to the soundbar. But I will not have an optical out for the tv?
post #53 of 204
You can use analog from your tv to the soundbar. My dvd player and xbox is hooked up to the soundbar through optical and my tv is hooked up through analog.
post #54 of 204
Does analog support 5.1 surround if i get that from free to air HD tv?
i guess if i get a third device in the future, i'll need an optical audio switch.

Is this the way to go or just get the sony which has more connections.
post #55 of 204
Analog does not support 5.1. However, is there very much 5.1 from OTA broadcasts.
post #56 of 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

Analog does not support 5.1. However, is there very much 5.1 from OTA broadcasts.

Pretty much all primetime network shows are in HD & DD 5.1 these days, so yes, there's plenty of 5.1 OTA. Now how much use the programs make of 5.1 audio is another question. Guess that's probably what you meant.
post #57 of 204
So samsung designed this thinking users will only have a tv and one media player.
Big limitation for users with multiple devices.
post #58 of 204
I was thinking that as well. Don't most people have more than two devices? I am looking at my cd player, xbox, wii, directv dvr and DVD player. I guess I would need to run them all into my receiver than use the optical out to the sound bar. Wouldn't the processing the the receiver cause problems with the sound bar?
post #59 of 204
Bought one of these last week and am impressed with the quality/price ratio of this unit. Easy to set up, great sound, and a lot of flexibility.

One complaint that some people have is the lack of HDMI ports. Well if your TV has them, you really dont need them on sound bar. I have one optical from my TV to the Sound Bar and that takes care of the TV and my Apple TV. I used the second optical to hook up my Blu Ray player. This left the analog port free so I used it to hook up my Mac Book with a mini stereo cable between the MacBook and the Sound Bar.

Am also impressed with how well the unit was packaged and with Customer Support. It was around 8PM in and I was having trouble attaching the optical cable supplied; I called their Tech Support and within minutes was advised to remove the clear palstic caps off the end of the connectore. Voila, it was done.

I have this set up in the bedroom and there's plenty of power; and having the wireless subwoofer (that really delivers a lot of bang and BOOM for the buck) is a real plus.

Recommend this highly.
post #60 of 204
I guess its just a 2.1 speaker system, so with the tv only being able to out 2.1 is not much of an issue. Just not sure how this affects the virtual surround performance.
The sony's are 3.1 so i guess relying on the tv is not good enough
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Soundbars
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Soundbars › Samsung HW-C450 / HW-C451 "AudioBars"