or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › NEW MFW-15 amps (May 2010) *pics*
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NEW MFW-15 amps (May 2010) *pics* - Page 45

post #1321 of 2590
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrn View Post


So I finally opened my MFW-15 this weekend and saw some of the orange around the connectors, though not as bad as seen in your post. Is this of concern? Can anyone else report on finding this stuff on the connectors?

Not to worry it is just epoxy that was used to hold the connectors in place. It is on all v1 and v2 amps.

Murrel
post #1322 of 2590
Quote:
Originally Posted by murrel View Post


Not to worry it is just epoxy that was used to hold the connectors in place. It is on all v1 and v2 amps.

Murrel

And darn pesky to get connectors off until you figure out how......
post #1323 of 2590
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

And darn pesky to get connectors off until you figure out how......

Pesky is not one of the words I use when dealing with the glue but yes it is a pain to deal with.

Murrel
post #1324 of 2590
Quote:
Originally Posted by murrel View Post

Pesky is not one of the words I use when dealing with the glue but yes it is a pain to deal with.

Murrel

Do I need a fine tip for the soldering iron or do you think I should be able to do it with a standard 30w craftsman iron?
post #1325 of 2590
Quote:
Originally Posted by murrel View Post

Not to worry it is just epoxy that was used to hold the connectors in place. It is on all v1 and v2 amps.

Murrel

Thanks! I wish it was a different color instead of burnt orange/red!
post #1326 of 2590
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrn View Post


Do I need a fine tip for the soldering iron or do you think I should be able to do it with a standard 30w craftsman iron?

Standard tip should be fine just work slowly and be patient

MURREL
post #1327 of 2590
Quote:
Originally Posted by murrel View Post

Pesky is not one of the words I use when dealing with the glue but yes it is a pain to deal with.

Murrel

One of the connectors actually came off the board before the glue come undone. It still slipped back over the raw connectors fine though.

Speaking of which, I obviously did the cap fix and all is well. Wanted to give a big thanks to Murrel as we spoke a bit about it a while back, but I was holding out for a turbo. Well, I decided to take the amp out and take a look, and just decided to buy the caps after I saw how easy the repair would be.

Everything is working great now

Murrel, have you heard any reports of the improved caps failing? I would suspect not since it took a year for my originals to fail, but you never know


Thanks again
post #1328 of 2590
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanok View Post


One of the connectors actually came off the board before the glue come undone. It still slipped back over the raw connectors fine though.

Speaking of which, I obviously did the cap fix and all is well. Wanted to give a big thanks to Murrel as we spoke a bit about it a while back, but I was holding out for a turbo. Well, I decided to take the amp out and take a look, and just decided to buy the caps after I saw how easy the repair would be.

Everything is working great now

Murrel, have you heard any reports of the improved caps failing? I would suspect not since it took a year for my originals to fail, but you never know

Thanks again

Nanok

First glad to hear your up and running its nice to have so many mfws back functional. No word of failures as of yet but 3 months is a short time. Thank you for the kind words and really you are welcome.

Murrel
post #1329 of 2590
I just ordered the caps from parts express tonight. The only caps that were in stock were the 1000 UF cap and 2 of the 470 caps. The 22 UF caps were out of stock. If i just replace these 3 caps will the hum go away or do I need the 22 UF cap as well? Hopefully these 3 caps will suffice for now at least. Any info on this Murrel?
post #1330 of 2590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmac30 View Post

I just ordered the caps from parts express tonight. The only caps that were in stock were the 1000 UF cap and 2 of the 470 caps. The 22 UF caps were out of stock. If i just replace these 3 caps will the hum go away or do I need the 22 UF cap as well? Hopefully these 3 caps will suffice for now at least. Any info on this Murrel?

Tmac30

I would say that 95% of the time the 470uf caps are the only ones that need replacing. I have how ever on occasion seen the other two be bad. The 22uf cap should be available at Radio Shack. If you need help feel free to email or pm me.

Good luck!
Murrel
post #1331 of 2590
Shortly after replacing the 470 caps the sub made a funny noise then smoke followed. After removing the amp i saw this:




Looks like the round coil thingy (technical wording ) burnt up?? Can that be replaced or am i screwed??
post #1332 of 2590
Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 View Post
Shortly after replacing the 470 caps the sub made a funny noise then smoke followed. After removing the amp i saw this:




Looks like the round coil thingy (technical wording ) burnt up?? Can that be replaced or am i screwed??
edoggrc51.

this happens when the output is shorted either by a bad driver or when the insulation that separates the power supply board from the plate is not in place shorting the power supply to the plate.

I am sending you a pm


Murrel
post #1333 of 2590
So glad I found this thread and a special thanks to Murrel and everyone else for providing such great detail concerning this issue.

I just wanted to verify my issue is the same as everyone elses before I order the caps.

My humming issue began last week. I normally unplug the sub when not in use. With the sub pwr switch in ON, the humming begins immediatly after I plug it into the wall outlet and continues if I switch to AUTO with and without the LFE cable attached. Tried different outlets in my media room and same result, although they are probibly all on the same circuit. The humming stops if I turn the pwr switch to OFF. Also, after I turn my reciever on and start a movie, signal being feed to the sub, the humming stops and does not come back unless I unplug the sub from the outlet and replug it. Does this sound about right?

Pulled the amp out last night and the tops of both 470uF caps appear to be buldging. I assume these are the culprits.

Thanks for all the help guys-vin
post #1334 of 2590
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnyvin_m View Post

So glad I found this thread and a special thanks to Murrel and everyone else for providing such great detail concerning this issue.

I just wanted to verify my issue is the same as everyone elses before I order the caps.

My humming issue began last week. I normally unplug the sub when not in use. With the sub pwr switch in ON, the humming begins immediatly after I plug it into the wall outlet and continues if I switch to AUTO with and without the LFE cable attached. Tried different outlets in my media room and same result, although they are probibly all on the same circuit. The humming stops if I turn the pwr switch to OFF. Also, after I turn my reciever on and start a movie, signal being feed to the sub, the humming stops and does not come back unless I unplug the sub from the outlet and replug it. Does this sound about right?

Pulled the amp out last night and the tops of both 470uF caps appear to be buldging. I assume these are the culprits.

Thanks for all the help guys-vin

Vin

Those are the offending. Caps follow the directions you should be fine.

Let me know if you need help

Murrel
post #1335 of 2590
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnyvin_m View Post

So glad I found this thread and a special thanks to Murrel and everyone else for providing such great detail concerning this issue.

I just wanted to verify my issue is the same as everyone elses before I order the caps.

My humming issue began last week. I normally unplug the sub when not in use. With the sub pwr switch in ON, the humming begins immediatly after I plug it into the wall outlet and continues if I switch to AUTO with and without the LFE cable attached. Tried different outlets in my media room and same result, although they are probibly all on the same circuit. The humming stops if I turn the pwr switch to OFF. Also, after I turn my reciever on and start a movie, signal being feed to the sub, the humming stops and does not come back unless I unplug the sub from the outlet and replug it. Does this sound about right?

Pulled the amp out last night and the tops of both 470uF caps appear to be buldging. I assume these are the culprits.

Thanks for all the help guys-vin

This is almost the exact same thing that happened to me around 3 weeks ago. Cheater plug didn't help, & the humming sometimes stops when a signal is being fed. New caps should arrive early next week and I'll update this thread with the outcome after I replace them.

I really appreciate your help in this thread murrel!
post #1336 of 2590
Hey guys,

so my MFW started humming today. I pulled off the amps and took pictures of what I saw. First, that epoxy stuff is everywhere. It looks brown in a few places and as you can see by the pictures, it is connecting two of the resistors, is that ok?

Secondly, the 22uf caps appear to have brown crap on them...do those need replacing?

the two 470s are bulging, I assume those need replacing...


Considering I am all thumbs and will not be able to do this by myself. How much should a local place charge to replace these? Would anyone here (murrel?) be willing to do this for me? I would of course cover parts, shipping of the circuit boards + your time.

If not, or if this repair turns out to be more money than its worth, anyone interested in a MFW in rosewood

Thanks!

*edit...I have no idea why the pictures are sideways..they are straight on my computer..the uploader must have switched them, I apologize!
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #1337 of 2590
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipcordAFF View Post

Hey guys,

so my MFW started humming today. I pulled off the amps and took pictures of what I saw. First, that epoxy stuff is everywhere. It looks brown in a few places and as you can see by the pictures, it is connecting two of the resistors, is that ok?

Secondly, the 22uf caps appear to have brown crap on them...do those need replacing?

the two 470s are bulging, I assume those need replacing...


Considering I am all thumbs and will not be able to do this by myself. How much should a local place charge to replace these? Would anyone here (murrel?) be willing to do this for me? I would of course cover parts, shipping of the circuit boards + your time.

If not, or if this repair turns out to be more money than its worth, anyone interested in a MFW in rosewood

Thanks!

*edit...I have no idea why the pictures are sideways..they are straight on my computer..the uploader must have switched them, I apologize!

Where do you live? Perhaps someone local can help you or point you in the right direction.
post #1338 of 2590
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipcordAFF View Post

Hey guys,

so my MFW started humming today. I pulled off the amps and took pictures of what I saw. First, that epoxy stuff is everywhere. It looks brown in a few places and as you can see by the pictures, it is connecting two of the resistors, is that ok?

Secondly, the 22uf caps appear to have brown crap on them...do those need replacing?

the two 470s are bulging, I assume those need replacing...


Considering I am all thumbs and will not be able to do this by myself. How much should a local place charge to replace these? Would anyone here (murrel?) be willing to do this for me? I would of course cover parts, shipping of the circuit boards + your time.

If not, or if this repair turns out to be more money than its worth, anyone interested in a MFW in rosewood

Thanks!

*edit...I have no idea why the pictures are sideways..they are straight on my computer..the uploader must have switched them, I apologize!

I paid a local tv repair shop $10 to replace the caps. Took him all of 5 minutes to do.

Btw, i might be interested in your rosewood MFW if you do decide to sell.
post #1339 of 2590
Murrel-

I am trying to install the version 3 amp I bought from you 2 weeks ago. I'm having a heck of a time getting out my original amp after removing the 8 hex/star screws. Is it seated to the box tightly, do I need to remove other screws, or is it just stuck to the diamond lacquer? The new amp currently has just the 8 hex screw holes empty...
post #1340 of 2590
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUMoneyMan View Post

Murrel-

I am trying to install the version 3 amp I bought from you 2 weeks ago. I'm having a heck of a time getting out my original amp after removing the 8 hex/star screws. Is it seated to the box tightly, do I need to remove other screws, or is it just stuck to the diamond lacquer? The new amp currently has just the 8 hex screw holes empty...

There are only 8 screws -- the amps are known to be tough to remove. If you are going to toss the V2 amp you can tug on the speaker connectors. I have read about people attaching speaker wire to the speaker connectors and tugging on the wire to pop the amp out. Another option would be to use a mini plunger.
post #1341 of 2590
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrowe View Post

There are only 8 screws -- the amps are known to be tough to remove. If you are going to toss the V2 amp you can tug on the speaker connectors. I have read about people attaching speaker wire to the speaker connectors and tugging on the wire to pop the amp out. Another option would be to use a mini plunger.

bmrowe,

thanks for helping!

Murrel
post #1342 of 2590
Thanks for the reply. I had to jam the coax connections into the box in order to pry out the old amp. It would have been impossible otherwise. I pulled off the finish of the box in one corner in the process. The amp was a tight fit, and with the lacquer from the finish acting like glue, it was a challenge.

The new amp is now in and running flawlessly at the moment. No hum.

Something I never read about though: The V3 has the coax connections onboard rather than connected to the 16-pin like the old one. I now have some loose wires resting on the base behind the baffle. Hopefully it doesn't rattle around...
post #1343 of 2590
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUMoneyMan View Post

Thanks for the reply. I had to jam the coax connections into the box in order to pry out the old amp. It would have been impossible otherwise. I pulled off the finish of the box in one corner in the process. The amp was a tight fit, and with the lacquer from the finish acting like glue, it was a challenge.

The new amp is now in and running flawlessly at the moment. No hum.

Something I never read about though: The V3 has the coax connections onboard rather than connected to the 16-pin like the old one. I now have some loose wires resting on the base behind the baffle. Hopefully it doesn't rattle around...

If your talking about the cavity where the amp rests, there should not be that much vibration in there, or if there is that's a bad thing from a resonance perspective........

Also I have found running a box cutter blade around the perimeter of the amp helps it come put and can prevent the veneer from being damaged too......
post #1344 of 2590
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

If your talking about the cavity where the amp rests, there should not be that much vibration in there, or if there is that's a bad thing from a resonance perspective........

Also I have found running a box cutter blade around the perimeter of the amp helps it come put and can prevent the veneer from being damaged too......

I tried a blade but it didn't really help. What worked was grabbing the speaker terminals and pushing down on the amp really hard, then pulling up. Within a few minutes it came out.
post #1345 of 2590
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUMoneyMan View Post

Thanks for the reply. I had to jam the coax connections into the box in order to pry out the old amp. It would have been impossible otherwise. I pulled off the finish of the box in one corner in the process. The amp was a tight fit, and with the lacquer from the finish acting like glue, it was a challenge.

The new amp is now in and running flawlessly at the moment. No hum.

Something I never read about though: The V3 has the coax connections onboard rather than connected to the 16-pin like the old one. I now have some loose wires resting on the base behind the baffle. Hopefully it doesn't rattle around...

OUMoneyMan,

Glad to hear that your running again! Enjoy!

Murrel
post #1346 of 2590
I'm getting a consistent krackling noise out of my sub. I didn't notice it before I replaced the 4 caps, but that may have been because the hum was so loud. The krackle is hard to describe... kind of like a krrrr or the sound speakers make when you put the needle on the vinyl. It's very faint, but in very quiet moments of movies and I'm listening for it, I can hear it. This occurs with or without the rca cable in the lfe input. Any thoughts?
post #1347 of 2590
Murrel,

My 2nd MFW developed the HUGE hum this am. I took it out,sealed the hole where the wires come out and hooked up a new OAudio 500 watt amp to it, set the filter at 20. Let me tell you, the sweeps are pretty close with the new amp, and it has more power of course, but like I said it is a temp job. I guess I will be sending the hummer soon for a repair.


Sam


Quote:
Originally Posted by murrel View Post

OUMoneyMan,

Glad to hear that your running again! Enjoy!

Murrel
post #1348 of 2590
Update on my humming issue...GOOD TO GO!

Replaced 3 of the 4 recommended caps (RS did not have the 22uF) and she fired right up humm free.

Thanks for the help Murrel and to DTMIKE for leading me to you.
post #1349 of 2590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepen View Post

Murrel,

My 2nd MFW developed the HUGE hum this am. I took it out,sealed the hole where the wires come out and hooked up a new OAudio 500 watt amp to it, set the filter at 20. Let me tell you, the sweeps are pretty close with the new amp, and it has more power of course, but like I said it is a temp job. I guess I will be sending the hummer soon for a repair.


Sam

Sam

Let me know if I can help!
Murrel
post #1350 of 2590
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnyvin_m View Post

Update on my humming issue...GOOD TO GO!

Replaced 3 of the 4 recommended caps (RS did not have the 22uF) and she fired right up humm free.

Thanks for the help Murrel and to DTMIKE for leading me to you.

Vinny,

Good to hear! You are welcome.

Murrel
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › NEW MFW-15 amps (May 2010) *pics*