or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' on HBO HD - Season Eight
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'Curb Your Enthusiasm' on HBO HD - Season Eight - Page 2

post #31 of 142
Hilarious episode tonight.
post #32 of 142
"Have you set aside a day when you are finally going to look at her face?"

is one of the best lines I've heard in recent memory. I'm going to have to remember that for a future scenario and then claim it as my own.
post #33 of 142
Another classic Curb. I think some of Curb's best episodes is when the humor flows from things that happen in which you sympathize with Larry. This ep, with the people blocking the ice cream, and especially ex-SNL cast member Michaela Watkins not picking up her dog's poop, falls into that category. The ep is hysterical but you sit there thinking, "damn, he's 100% in the right."

Or at least I do. It's not always the case, but the eps where that is the case are usually the classics.
post #34 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

Another classic Curb. I think some of Curb's best episodes is when the humor flows from things that happen in which you sympathize with Larry. This ep, with the people blocking the ice cream, and especially ex-SNL cast member Michaela Watkins not picking up her dog's poop, falls into that category. The ep is hysterical but you sit there thinking, "damn, he's 100% in the right."

Or at least I do. It's not always the case, but the eps where that is the case are usually the classics.

Even worse is when you see a bag of dog poop lying on the ground; why the **** do you even bother to pick up your dog's poop if you're going to just leave in on the ground for someone else to pick up? Just once I want to catch someone doing that just so I can ask them why. Good episode.
post #35 of 142
Tonight's episode was great. I kept laughing through-out.
post #36 of 142
Pretty smart commentary tonight too. I really wanted to see which side Larry would choose at the end.

The "social assassin" tag was great. I hope they use the hitman analogy in the future.
post #37 of 142
I think that these first few episodes have made for the best start of any season of this show. I've noticed that some of Larry's Seinfeld buddies are now getting writing credits for each episode.

I like how Sammi was positioned to act towards Larry like a junior version of Susie.

As for that vile woman, I would have confronted her on her persistent "LOL" comment out of principle.
post #38 of 142
Great episode. "What is this, the raid on Entebbe?". "You're Koufaxing us?". I also liked how Larry was in such a good mood after getting laid.

Ron
post #39 of 142
I was afraid another season would be stale, but so far this season is back to its old form.
post #40 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

I was afraid another season would be stale, but so far this season is back to its old form.

Agreed. I thought last night's episode was one of the funniest I can remember. Funkhouser (or as I like to remember him--Super Dave Osborne) may have the greatest dry delivery on television.
post #41 of 142
Occupy this!

Show me the Promised Land, huh?

The penis wants to get to its homeland. It wants to go home!

OMG. Curb absolutely is back to form. LD has the best deal in television. HBO allows him to make as many seasons of Curb he wants, no pressure, no set schedule, make them when you want, if you want. He can take as much time as he wants too. He assembles great actors who can improvise and get into the spirit of it too. We all win. This is TV I want to see.

Man, that chicken protest standoff was awesome. "Larry, I have a sister."
post #42 of 142
BTW, Anne Bedian, the Canadian actress who played the Palestinian woman Shara last night, is gorgeous. Check out some of her photos at IMDB, especially 15 and 16. If I were Jewish, I'd let her f&&k the Jew right out of me too.
post #43 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

As for that vile woman, I would have confronted her on her persistent "LOL" comment out of principle.

Did you recognize that vile woman as Janice, Joey's annoying girlfriend from an early season of Friends?
post #44 of 142
She also appeared in a classic episode of Seinfeld, "The Fix Up." She was the one who Elaine set up on a date with George ("He's Bald?!"). Wow ... that first aired 19 years ago!
post #45 of 142
I did immediately recognize the actress from the Seinfeld episode where her character thought she could have been impregnated by George. She had the same kind of energetic delivery, and still looks good after all these years.
post #46 of 142
I remarked to my wife that this episode showed Larry in a sympathetic light. Usually, he comes across as the obnoxious boor that says what everyone is ashamed to admit they wish they had said. This time, he seemed to be right in every instance, but only angered others around him because of their boorishness.

Doug
post #47 of 142
There's a black guy who lives in my house, eats all my food, takes my money, and won't leave!

post #48 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

I remarked to my wife that this episode showed Larry in a sympathetic light. Usually, he comes across as the obnoxious boor that says what everyone is ashamed to admit they wish they had said. This time, he seemed to be right in every instance, but only angered others around him because of their boorishness.

I think if you go back and watch the entire series, you'll see plenty of times when Larry is right, but somehow he becomes the "bad guy" because other people can't deal with the fact he is right or simply want to be wrong. A good recent example is last year's ring on the table from a cup, which was referenced in this season's premiere. It was always pinned on Larry, but really it was Cheryl and while she copped to it to Larry, she wouldn't tell the person whose table got the ring on it. Larry was 100% in the right, but painted in a bad light, and that incident was shown to be the last straw before their divorce.

As to this last ep, I liked it a lot EXCEPT I didn't like that they recycled a Seinfeld joke with the sipping. If you are a Seinfeld freak [which most Curb fans are or should be], you remember when Elaine is dating a guy who shares a name with a serial killer. When debating over possible names for him to change to, one of them is nixed because it reminds Elaine of a guy who used to sit next to her in some class doing the same thing as Susie did with coffee. [Sip] "ahhhhhh." As soon as Susie did that the first time I realized they were recycling that joke. Kinda lame, but otherwise, still one of the funniest shows on TV.
post #49 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

I did immediately recognize the actress from the Seinfeld episode where her character thought she could have been impregnated by George. She had the same kind of energetic delivery, and still looks good after all these years.

I'm guessing everyone remembers Larry Miller's (who was in the last curb as the guy cheating on his wife) appearance as the doorman in "The Doorman," right?
post #50 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post
I think if you go back and watch the entire series, you'll see plenty of times when Larry is right, but somehow he becomes the "bad guy" because other people can't deal with the fact he is right or simply want to be wrong. A good recent example is last year's ring on the table from a cup, which was referenced in this season's premiere. It was always pinned on Larry, but really it was Cheryl and while she copped to it to Larry, she wouldn't tell the person whose table got the ring on it. Larry was 100% in the right, but painted in a bad light, and that incident was shown to be the last straw before their divorce.
You're correct in pointing out that he's been right in the past. Let me explain why I don't think the "ring" thing qualifies. Of course Larry is usually "right", and that's why we can empathize with him. But he's usually "wrong" by being vocal about an issue that most people don't mention, because they don't want to appear to be an ass. So, by pushing the issue of the culprit who left the ring on the table, he was "wrong" according to society. However, in the last episode, he was right in every instance, e.g. asking why he couldn't tell an adult joke if Jeff and Susie's daughter was "adult" enough to attend, and pointing out that it's wrong to protest the Palestinian restaurant location near the deli, etc.

Am I making more sense, or being more obtuse?

Doug
post #51 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post
Occupy this!

Show me the Promised Land, huh?

The penis wants to get to its homeland. It wants to go home!

Man, that chicken protest standoff was awesome. "Larry, I have a sister."
"THE CLUCK STOPS HERE!" on a placard held on the Jewish side of the protest. The whole idea of two sides, Jewish and Palestinian, competing for Larry and with him torn between what to him apparently were "equally compelling arguments" one of which of course was purely sexual... just brilliantly funny.

This whole storyline was absolutely hilarious.

"They look like they're planning the next Intifada at that table, but that could be the next Mrs. David!"

Starting from their first verbal interaction in the restaurant, after Jeff and Larry fight with Funkman outside regarding the inappropriateness of wearing the yarmulke inside with all the Palestinians watching through the window, and then Jeff and Larry go inside to applause... I couldn't stop laughing.

The whole "mating dance" ritual of their initial smiling and sexually suggestive and coy introduction to each other ("you're a Jew!", "I am indeed a Jew", "..., son of Nat, but my friends call me Larry") was a riot. And she gives him her card, and says "call me". Priceless.

And the whole sex scene in his house, just amazing dialog. And as was pointed out, his remarkable change in demeanor AFTERWARDS was also perfectly conceived.

I'm going to watch it a second time.

(it was also fun to see Maggie Wheeler again, as well as Larry Miller. "If you didn't want to have sex with her, I don't think you'd react so positively to that LOL stuff", "Well, that goes without saying... but still...")
post #52 of 142
I think the "ring" situation showed Larry being exceedingly petty at a critical juncture in getting Cheryl back. In my opinion, any rational person so desperate in trying to recover their spouse's affection would not be so quick to bring up something like that.

But, yes, I do agree with Larry's actions most of the time. I imagine that being as financially secure as he is would make acting as he does much easier.
post #53 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post
You're correct in pointing out that he's been right in the past. Let me explain why I don't think the "ring" thing qualifies. Of course Larry is usually "right", and that's why we can empathize with him. But he's usually "wrong" by being vocal about an issue that most people don't mention, because they don't want to appear to be an ass. So, by pushing the issue of the culprit who left the ring on the table, he was "wrong" according to society. However, in the last episode, he was right in every instance, e.g. asking why he couldn't tell an adult joke if Jeff and Susie's daughter was "adult" enough to attend, and pointing out that it's wrong to protest the Palestinian restaurant location near the deli, etc.

Am I making more sense, or being more obtuse?
No, your point is well-taken and I think you have nailed much of the source of the humor in the show. But as to the "ring," I think he was right to vocalize it because he was accused of being the culprit. He was accused of being the bad guy when Cheryl was the bad guy, but when Cheryl won't admit to being the bad guy to the appropriate person, then somehow Larry becomes the bad guy (because of his insistence that Cheryl cop to what she did).

But yeah, much of the humor is about straddling the line of right vs. wrong, and definitely including being right about something, but wrong in the sense of bringing it up at the wrong time, or making a bigger deal out of it than you'd expect.
post #54 of 142
Larry has become more belligerent in recent seasons to the point of just being an obnoxious jerk in some episodes.

In earlier seasons he would challenge someone but if he didn't have any concrete evidence would let it slide. You could see this in his funny "okay, okay ..." stare downs as he attempted to gauge the truth of the culprit as if Larry had some innate ability to read people.
post #55 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn
You could see this in his funny "okay, okay ..." stare downs as he attempted to gauge the truth of the culprit as if Larry had some innate ability to read people.
Some of my favorite scenes on the show!
post #56 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

I think the "ring" situation showed Larry being exceedingly petty at a critical juncture in getting Cheryl back. In my opinion, any rational person so desperate in trying to recover their spouse's affection would not be so quick to bring up something like that.

But, yes, I do agree with Larry's actions most of the time. I imagine that being as financially secure as he is would make acting as he does much easier.

She didn't respect the wood.
Case closed.
post #57 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

In my opinion, any rational person

I don't think this phrase should be used in connection with Larry's character on the show.
post #58 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

Did you recognize that vile woman as Janice, Joey's annoying girlfriend from an early season of Friends?

Actually, I think Janice was Chandler's love interest, not Joey's.

But yes, her face and voice are instantly recognizable, and she's very funny.

And yes, it's always good times when Larry Miller (aka "The Doorman" in Seinfeld episode makes an appearance).

Interestingly (and this may speak to the age-skew of Curb viewers), I saw no mention of Ruth Buzzi as "the Rabbi, in the Valley" who grants Funkman permission to play golf on Saturday after Larry obviously lets her have his Palestinian chicken lunch during his visit to her.

Ruth Buzzi is a lot older in entertainment-years than "The Fix Up" episode on Seinfeld from 1992, where Maggie Wheeler made her appearance. Ruth Buzzi comes from "Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In" days, i.e. 1967-1973! She looked great in this Curb episode!


P.S. - I watched this episode a second time last night, this time just for all the interactions between Larry and Shara (i.e. "maybe the next Mrs. David"). Hysterical. "You're a Jew". "Yes, I am... a VERY BIG Jew. Son of Nat." "I like you."

And I especially enjoyed the shouting back and forth at the end, during the protest. Susie Greene and Funkman were just hysterical in what they said when it was their turn to try and lure Larry over to their side, or eventually just to order him over to their side because he was a Jew. But I do agree that probably the funniest line came from Shara: "Larry, you can have me any time you want. I have a sister! You, me, Yasmin." Larry's facial expressions as he evaluated each side's compelling arguments were hilarious.

Great episode.
post #59 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Actually, I think Janice was Chandler's love interest, not Joey's.

I think you are right. Thanks.

I thought she was unattractive on Friends, but pretty on Seinfeld.

Quote:
Interestingly (and this may speak to the age-skew of Curb viewers), I saw no mention of Ruth Buzzi as "the Rabbi, in the Valley" who grants Funkman permission to play golf on Saturday after Larry obviously lets her have his Palestinian chicken lunch during his visit to her.

Ruth Buzzi is a lot older in entertainment-years than "The Fix Up" episode on Seinfeld from 1992, where Maggie Wheeler made her appearance. Ruth Buzzi comes from "Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In" days, i.e. 1967-1973! She looked great in this Curb episode!

Wow. I had no idea that was Ruth Buzzi, and I never would have guessed. I was only a little kid when Laugh In originally aired, but I loved it and knew who all the cast members were (and I was so in love with Goldie Hawn -- rawrr). Off the top of my head, I would have thought that she was older than she looked on Curb.


Quote:
P.S. - I watched this episode a second time last night, this time just for all the interactions between Larry and Shara (i.e. "maybe the next Mrs. David"). Hysterical. "You're a Jew". "Yes, I am... a VERY BIG Jew. Son of Nat." "I like you."

And I especially enjoyed the shouting back and forth at the end, during the protest. Susie Greene and Funkman were just hysterical in what they said when it was their turn to try and lure Larry over to their side, or eventually just to order him over to their side because he was a Jew. But I do agree that probably the funniest line came from Shara: "Larry, you can have me any time you want. I have a sister! You, me, Yasmin." Larry's facial expressions as he evaluated each side's compelling arguments were hilarious.

Great episode.

Great episode indeed. The dialog was priceless. It was as good as any I can remember on the show. You can tell the cast members are having a great time together. For instance, the Blofeld remark about Jeff's pillow cracked Jeff up. I think that was genuine and just an ad lib from Larry that struck a chord with Jeff. It was a good line. Jeff's response was good too. "I've got a kitty and we're making evil plans."
post #60 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

Wow. I had no idea that was Ruth Buzzi, and I never would have guessed. I was only a little kid when Laugh In originally aired, but I loved it and knew who all the cast members were (and I was so in love with Goldie Hawn -- rawrr). Off the top of my head, I would have thought that she was older than she looked on Curb.

I never would have recognized her. She must be in her 60s, at least...(runs off to check IMDB)...she's 75! Are you sure that was her? There's no credit for her doing CYE at IMDB...(runs off to check HBO.com)...HBO credits Joanne Baron as The Rabbi. DSperber...?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' on HBO HD - Season Eight