or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Windows 7 Media Center : Setup Guide, Knowledge Base & Support
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Windows 7 Media Center : Setup Guide, Knowledge Base & Support - Page 48

post #1411 of 4641
Thread Starter 
Btw, does anybody use J.River Media Center or Music Jukebox (the free version with music-only capabilities) ? I installed J.River Music Jukebox as a permanent music player/manager on my laptop but i have no clue how to change the music file icons it uses in the windows explorer view.
LL
post #1412 of 4641
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

It may be due to the way Media Browser work with MPC, it is probably trying to open both of the files in MPC, or smth. I`ll test it out later tonight and get back at you, i`m currently busy reinstalling my programs on my laptop (did ca clean Win7 install this morning)

i unchecked "treat multiple files as single movie" and now it plays..although after i click on the cover, i see 2 files (changed view to details) and i can play either file. i can press next chapter on my remote and it plays the second file..not the one i would have liked but better than nothing. i hope it does not affect any of the other movie files i have..
post #1413 of 4641
You all will have to forgive my n00b questions...My experience in the HTPC realm is a quick and painless theory, so I have always just ran VLC player straight from the desktop and have never had any issues (sure I did not get the best audio/video formats or a slick interface, but I get impatient. ). Anyway, I built a new HTPC and have been eyeing this thread for sometime now. So I followed it to the letter and am encountering some random issues. Before I go into them, here is how everything is setup:

I run a core i5 760 with 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM with an ATI 5770, HDMI out to an Integra9.8 (for audio and video). The OS is Windows 7 Ultimate x64. All of my media is stored on a central server (gigabit infrastructure), which I use network drive mappings to. Other than Win 7, I have TMT 3, Any DVD HD, and the Shark007 (and x64)/MediaBrowser etc per this thread's instructions. I am using MKV playback via method B of this thread...

My problems:
1.) The guide specifies what not to install when doing a custom install of Shark007...however, some of the items mentioned I cannot locate on the selection screen to not have installed (RealMedia being an example). So those items may or may not be present as I cannot find them on the list to uncheck.
2.) Everything basically plays fine...except some of my BluRay rips (all of my rips are in MKV format via MakeMKV). Some play fine, some trigger a "Media Center has encountered a problem and will now close." error box, crash to desktop. But when I play the alleged problematic file in VLC, it plays fine.
3.) Same as #2 for some of my DiVX/XViD movies. Plays fine in VLC though too. Although for these affected files, I just get a "Media Center cannot playback this type of file." screen.
4.) For some reason, even though I have the digital pass-through selected in Shark007, I still get MPCM on my pre/pro...so it is not bitstreaming. Do I have to select the proper format and configuration in Windows Sound? I currently have Windows Sound set to 7.1 with 24bit/96KHz...

Any pointers in the right direction or any settings I may have overlooked that you guys can help with would be greatly appreciated...these issues are more annoying than any kind of show stopper. Everything else works great and the guide rocks. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Just noticed someone mentioning MediaInfo so I will definitely check that out too for the affected files when I get home...
post #1414 of 4641
Thread Starter 
@ABSiNTH - Make sure that passthrough is selected in the ffdshow audio configuration (output tab) (you can access it from the shark pack config utility). Does bitstreaming work fine with TMT3 (you said you have that installed also) ?

And yes, a media info from one of those files would be very helpful, one from a problemnatic MVK and another from an Xvid/DivX.

As for those options, i haven`t had a chance to update that part of the guide since Shark did some modifications to the installer since ver260. Will update it tonight.
post #1415 of 4641
Thread Starter 
@rexb610 - Yup, it doesn`t work, tested 2 avi files on my sistem. My guess is that that feature in MB was designed only for usage with the internal 7MC player, not with MPC. I`ll post on the MB community tracker and see what info i get.
post #1416 of 4641
Thread Starter 
HTPC-Central is online, i still gave a lot of work to do on it, transcripting the 7MC guide to it, finishing the XMBC guide (should be finished this week), getting a proper URL and other stuff.

http://htpc-central.blogspot.com/
post #1417 of 4641
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

@ABSiNTH - Make sure that passthrough is selected in the ffdshow audio configuration (output tab) (you can access it from the shark pack config utility). Does bitstreaming work fine with TMT3 (you said you have that installed also) ?

And yes, a media info from one of those files would be very helpful, one from a problemnatic MVK and another from an Xvid/DivX.

As for those options, i haven`t had a chance to update that part of the guide since Shark did some modifications to the installer since ver260. Will update it tonight.

Yep. I already have that checked in Shark007. Good point about TMT3 bitstream test...will do that tonight as well as provide MediaInfo details. Thanks for the help.
post #1418 of 4641
One other problem I forgot to mention is that on my Blu-Ray MKVs that do playback, they play fine for a few minutes then freeze for like 20 secs, then play for a couple of secs, then freeze again...not sure what thats about, but again, when played back in VLC, I can play them all the way through with no issues...
post #1419 of 4641
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABSiNTH View Post

One other problem I forgot to mention is that on my Blu-Ray MKVs that do playback, they play fine for a few minutes then freeze for like 20 secs, then play for a couple of secs, then freeze again...not sure what thats about, but again, when played back in VLC, I can play them all the way through with no issues...

I assume you are playing the mkvs via the internal WMC player? I would recommend using MPC HC instead, and just having it launch whenever an mkv is played. MPC HC has been the most reliable for me when it comes to bitstreaming HD audio from mkvs. When your mkvs stutter/freezes, can you see if the audio drops off (look at the lights on your AVR)
post #1420 of 4641
The audio and video both freeze. But VLC plays them all flawlessly...I guess I will just switch out to MPC-HC then and give that a shot...
post #1421 of 4641
Thread Starter 
Before you try MPC-HC, try switching to the MPC-HC DXVA decoder for H.264/VC-1 instead of the ffdshow DXVA decoder in the Shark config utility.
post #1422 of 4641
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

Before you try MPC-HC, try switching to the MPC-HC DXVA decoder for H.264/VC-1 instead of the ffdshow DXVA decoder in the Shark config utility.

Ahh. Will do. Thank you.
post #1423 of 4641
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

Before you try MPC-HC, try switching to the MPC-HC DXVA decoder for H.264/VC-1 instead of the ffdshow DXVA decoder in the Shark config utility.

Have you been using the ffdshow DXVA decoder, has it been stable (i read that some people were having issues with)? I tested it briefly but just ended up switching back to MPC HC decoder (for my 5670 HTPC) and MS DTV Video Decoder for my core i5.
post #1424 of 4641
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Have you been using the ffdshow DXVA decoder, has it been stable (i read that some people were having issues with)? I tested it briefly but just ended up switching back to MPC HC decoder (for my 5670 HTPC) and MS DTV Video Decoder for my core i5.


Well, on my HTPC (HD5450 + Cat 10.5) it has been stable, with both VC-1 and H.264 content. Played 10-15 movie including Avatar, Terminator 4, Inglorious Basterds, Gladiator, War of the Worlds, Black Hawk Down, Minority Report, The Dark Knight and they all played smooth. On the other hand, i had shuttering issues (and some audio/video desincronization) on my main PC with it, but that has an Nvidia card in it. Did you have the same shuttering, audio/video desincronization issues ?
post #1425 of 4641
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

Well, on my HTPC (HD5450 + Cat 10.5) it has been stable, with both VC-1 and H.264 content. Played 10-15 movie including Avatar, Terminator 4, Inglorious Basterds, Gladiator, War of the Worlds, Black Hawk Down, Minority Report, The Dark Knight and they all played smooth. On the other hand, i had shuttering issues (and some audio/video desincronization) on my main PC with it, but that has an Nvidia card in it. Did you have the same shuttering, audio/video desincronization issues ?

The A/V sync issues was one that I saw, but I had tested ffdshow dxva when it was first released, so wasn't sure if that issue has been resolved. I may have to test out again.

FYI - good job with the new site. If you keep the all black background I would just watch out that some of the l inks don't blend into the background (the link for your media browser post comes in dark blue on my screen). Also, and I am not sure if you can do this in blogger, try to have any links open up a new page instead of effectively replacing yours (actually I don't think blogger can do this as my blog I have the same issue but with Wordpress on MSS.net I can set how the link is activated).

The biggest PITA with Blogger is inserting photos, as it just dumps it to the beginning of the post (messing up formats) and you must then move to where it needs to be. Wordpress does a much better job handling photo inserts.

EDIT - DOH, I see you just changed the background color of your site, much nicer on the eyes!!!
post #1426 of 4641
Thread Starter 
Ok, i just tested it a minute ago, still the same issue on my Nvidia laptop (GT330M GPU). The image shutters and audio is desincronized. This happens only when subtitles are enabled. When they are disabled everything works fine. And it work fine on my HD5450, with or without subtitles. Strange really.

Regarding the new site, thanks, i still have a lot to do to it, hope i finish it in 3-4 days so i can move on to the forum creation . I noticed those links issues on the darker background, so i moved to a whiter theme for the moment, until i get a custom CSS theme on it.
Check your PM, i have a couple of questions regarding wordpress.
post #1427 of 4641
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

@thattallkid - By blue screen you mean when you open a 1080p the internal 7MC player just shows a blue screen or do you mean BSOD, the infamous blue screen of death ?

Also, what hardware are you using ?

@GreenEyez - I'm talking about the infamous BSOD. WMC tries to render the image and eventually crashes.

My hardware is as follows: Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 630 2.8Ghz
Motherboard: MSI 785G
Memory: 2x 2GB G.Skill Memory

Thanks for any help.
post #1428 of 4641
Thread Starter 
It might be a driver issue. BSODs are usually caused by malfunctioning drivers, or applications calling those drivers. Do you have the latest Catalyst installed ?
If so, tru changing the h264/VC-1 decoder from ffdshow DXVA to MPC-HC DXVA in the Shark config utility, and if that doesn`t work, try removing the current drivers and install an older version (ofc, if you have the latest one)

Sry for the delayed response, was tired yesterday and went to sleep early.
post #1429 of 4641
GreenEyez I followed the guide for setting up 7MC. It is definitely missing a step. If you don't check the boxes in Shark007 for "Disable Microsoft Audio Decoder" and "disable windows media foundation" then you won't get working passthrough to your AVR. At least it won't work for me unless I disable them, all I get is two channel PCM.

I have a Radeon 4890 and Windows 7 64bit ultimate.

Can you tell me if it's possible to decode the audio formats in Windows and then just pass all of it to my AVR over PCM? I don't like having to use my AVR for volume control but I want DTS and Dolby sound. I know TrueHD and DTS HD MA are not possible.
post #1430 of 4641
i followed the tutorial and I have some problem with the audio signal. At first i setup using the MPC-HC way and my collection of MKV files play no issue. However, i don't like the switching to another screen so i redo the install with WMC. However, i can't get the audio this time. It only plays some noise. I have attached the graph-edit screen here. Can someone help me out??
LL
post #1431 of 4641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastuch View Post

Can you tell me if it's possible to decode the audio formats in Windows and then just pass all of it to my AVR over PCM?

To be able to control the volume from the PC rather than from the amplifier when using spdif/digital/hdmi output, go to the 'Control Panel | Sound' applet and double click the active digital output device. Go to the Advanced tab and uncheck the two Exclusive Mode boxes.
post #1432 of 4641
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastuch View Post

GreenEyez I followed the guide for setting up 7MC. It is definitely missing a step. If you don't check the boxes in Shark007 for "Disable Microsoft Audio Decoder" and "disable windows media foundation" then you won't get working passthrough to your AVR. At least it won't work for me unless I disable them, all I get is two channel PCM.

I have a Radeon 4890 and Windows 7 64bit ultimate.

Can you tell me if it's possible to decode the audio formats in Windows and then just pass all of it to my AVR over PCM? I don't like having to use my AVR for volume control but I want DTS and Dolby sound. I know TrueHD and DTS HD MA are not possible.

For some poeple that is necesary, but not for all. I tested Shark`s pack a couple of days ago and the ffdshow audio decoder kicked in even without disabling the MS decoder.
Some have found that ticking disable on the DivX MKV Extender Support Splitter solves the issue (see pick below)
For audio decoding, just turn off pass-through and select your sound config (5.1/7.1 etc.) and ffdshow will decode DTS/DD and send it as PCM.
LL
post #1433 of 4641
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkrwu View Post

i followed the tutorial and I have some problem with the audio signal. At first i setup using the MPC-HC way and my collection of MKV files play no issue. However, i don't like the switching to another screen so i redo the install with WMC. However, i can't get the audio this time. It only plays some noise. I have attached the graph-edit screen here. Can someone help me out??

See my post above, try disabling the DivX MKV Extender Support Splitter.
post #1434 of 4641
sorry for the repost, but I should have probably posted this in here...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1272222

any ideas?
post #1435 of 4641
Shark007 and Greeneyez thanks very much for your assistance. I'll make those changes tonight and report back.

Do either of you know if it's possible to decode DTS HD MA in Windows for an MKV file and then pass the audio over LPCM to my receiver?

This seems like one way to get Radeon 4xxx cards to do HD Audio.
post #1436 of 4641
Thread Starter 
Nope, there is no free DTS-HD MA decoder out there, ffdshow can only decode TrueHD. If you want to decode DTS-HD MA you need TMT3 or PDVD 9/10 and rip to blu ray folders/ISO
post #1437 of 4641
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMD_Terp View Post

sorry for the repost, but I should have probably posted this in here...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1272222

any ideas?



Try using the Ati HDMI audio drivers, normally your receiver should read the DTS-HD MA core audio.
post #1438 of 4641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastuch View Post

Shark007 and Greeneyez thanks very much for your assistance. I'll make those changes tonight and report back.

Do either of you know if it's possible to decode DTS HD MA in Windows for an MKV file and then pass the audio over LPCM to my receiver?

This seems like one way to get Radeon 4xxx cards to do HD Audio.

One option would be to convert your DTS HD tracks to FLAC, but not sure if that is a route you want to take
post #1439 of 4641
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post

Try using the Ati HDMI audio drivers, normally your receiver should read the DTS-HD MA core audio.

I didn't think radeon 48xx series cards could do bitstreaming? Thats why I wanted to decode the audio on the PC and send it via LPCM to the receiver.
post #1440 of 4641
Thread Starter 
Crap, my bad. I quoted your post but wanted to reply to UMD_Terp .

The HD4xxx series can do :
-> DTS/DD bitstreaming
-> 8 Channel LPCM

So your options for HD audio are converting to FLAC (free with ffdshow) and decoding the audio with TMT3 or PDVD9/10
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Windows 7 Media Center : Setup Guide, Knowledge Base & Support