or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › *The Official Samsung PNxxC8000 Owner's Discussion Thread!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*The Official Samsung PNxxC8000 Owner's Discussion Thread!! - Page 6

post #151 of 5875
Neceo, I have the same problem and want to try your fix.

What are the steps to enter the service menu and what do I need to do to change the text to T-C-black?

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neceo View Post

Thanks but I resolved the issue looking through other pages. Also was told from the tech that unplugging the tv for 10 minutes does reset it.

The way to resolve it was going into the service menu and changing the text to T-C-black

not sure why that did it but I am good now.
post #152 of 5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocuMaker View Post

Plasmas do not have much less motion blur than a high quality LCD or LED. That is an old stereotype.

I dont know where you're getting that from. I understand that some people are more or less susceptible to blur, but just about every lcd has a hard time doing more than 480p without a lot of processing. Game mode on lcd's disables that processing. The person I was replying to in that statement mentioned gaming, therefor I recommended a plasma.

Quote:


I actually preferred the motion on my B8500 over my Kuro, because the Kuro, just like other plasmas, has its own issues with motion blur: PHOSPHOR LAG! Furthermore, the blacks on your plasma may not be blue (ONLY if your grayscale is calibrated correctly), but they DO GET greenish-gray when the room is bright like it can get this time of year.

Yes I think everyone knows you liked your B8500 by now. The B8500 was a rarity among lcd's with its ability to reproduce a motion resolution similar to the Kuro's when all the processing was turned on.

I've never seen green blacks on any plasma other than a Samsung. The good thing is that it can be calibrated out. The blacks on Panny's and Kuro's are black and stay the same no matter what kind of settings are used. On the other hand, every S-lcd with cclf/edge lit black lighting that I've ever seen has blacks that turn a very noticeable navy blue, and colors that wash out dramatically just a few degrees off axis. I was able to see a VT20 under store lighting that had the same jet blacks lcd's do under bright lights. Its obvious that Panny made big improvements with their filters and the Sammy C8000 has been reported to have something similar. I agree that lcd's hold an advantage in extremely bright rooms, but for average home theaters, plasma's daytime disadvantages can be overcome by easy fixes. Like curtains for example.

Quote:


So let's not just point out the advantages of PDP tech and ignore the many faults--like BUZZING, dimmed whites from ABL, image retention, line bleed, etc, etc.

I already pointed out IR, which is why I told him to stay away from the plasma for heavy gaming. Unless you only watch ESPN, IR can be ignored for the most part. I'll consider the other faults you listed.

1. Buzzing - If thats such a major concern, get a Panny or an LG instead of a Sammy

2. Line Bleed - I've owned 3 plasmas in the last few years, and I've never witnessed line bleed anywhere near as bad as you did on your B850/860. I understand that line bleed can be problematic if you like watching the credits at the end of a movie

3. Dim whites - The only time I've ever seen plasma owners complaining about whites was for the Sammy A650, which had pink whites due to a defective glare coating.
post #153 of 5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by thm655321 View Post

Neceo, I have the same problem and want to try your fix.

What are the steps to enter the service menu and what do I need to do to change the text to T-C-black?

Thanks in advance.


find the " I changed my cx000 to a c8000" thread. It tells you how to get into the service menu. From there look for the part about changing the text to T-C-Black. Do that and turn, exit out and turn the tv off.
post #154 of 5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neceo View Post

find the " I changed my cx000 to a c8000" thread. It tells you how to get into the service menu. From there look for the part about changing the text to T-C-Black. Do that and turn, exit out and turn the tv off.

here it is

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1242723


edited for just what we need full text from the link above

Instructions:
- Turn off tv
- Press Mute-1-8-2-Power in sequence
- Once the tv is on, the service menu should appear at the top left corner.
- Go to options
and change the front color to T-C-Black
post #155 of 5875
Thanks Neceo!
post #156 of 5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by thm655321 View Post

Thanks Neceo!

Not a problem. Last night ( first day I got the tv ) this occurred and i was annoyed. My wife was telling me just replace it, but too much hassle and i know it was just a software bug. Last minute before I went to bed I saw that and tried it
post #157 of 5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmeister View Post

Ok. I've been following the VT25 and Samsung posts for several months now, and finally decided on the Pnc 8000. I've had it for 2 days, and here are my initial thoughts.
--Zero buzzing so far, and I am listening to for it.
--picture quality out of the box was very impressive, but i turned down all the
settings so i could "break " in.
--I am no expert, just eyeballing it, but the blacks are not as black as the
VT25 i saw in the showroom, but I am replacing a Sony LCD and they are
darker than my Sony, so I am satisfied with that.
--Watched Avatar on the Samsung BD player this weekend, and was Blown
away. Even my wife who is no TV fan sat down and watched the movie
with me and the kids. Picture quality is much better than my Sony.
--3D quality was excellent with the included MVA. The glasses worked great,
that was one deciding factor between the C8000 and VT25. My wife was
never comfortable with the Panasonic Glasses.
--So far so good.

I can only hear my set buzz in the middle of the screen. Unfortunately this affects me because I sit dead center. Can you verify there is no buzz from the center of the screen?

Thanks!
post #158 of 5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminaldawn View Post

I can only hear my set buzz in the middle of the screen. Unfortunately this affects me because I sit dead center. Can you verify there is no buzz from the center of the screen?

Thanks!

Same here. I can only hear my PN58C8000 buzz in the dead center of the screen. Also, if I turn my head to the left or the right so that my ear is directly dead center, the buzz is a lot louder. If I just look dead-on I hear the buzz but not as badly as if my ear is directly facing the TV. Of course I wouldn't watch TV like that since you don't see what's happening on the screen.
post #159 of 5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by socwrkr View Post

If you guys were stuck with this choice, which one would you do.
1. Get a great priced 63C8000 that wouldn't arrive until maybe the first of July
or
2. Get a 63C7000 for $100 less but get it immediately from the same retailer.
3. Get a 63C590 for $600 less and also get it immediately.

Not sure what to do. Thinking the 8000 may be worth the wait but that's a long wait! I don't think any retailer is going to meet/beat the price i got. I know best buy won't.. by local best buy has been a p.i.a ever since i started looking for tvs

wait, or just buy local and pay more for the c8000. c8000 WAY better than c7000 in my opinion. Go to a store a take a look for yourself.
post #160 of 5875
Can some one explain or point me to a link that explains the differences between; Dynamic, Standard, Relax, Movie, CAL-NIGHT, and CAL-DAY. It seems I can make adjustments to each and make these all the same.

Does, for example, Dynamic versus Standard, apply a different video algorithm so that, let say, the white balance is brighter in one compared to the other. Or are these different catagories simply placeholders to apply different settings?

thanks
post #161 of 5875
does anyone NOT HAVE A BUZZ coming from the front screen
post #162 of 5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryantiguan View Post

Same here. I can only hear my PN58C8000 buzz in the dead center of the screen. Also, if I turn my head to the left or the right so that my ear is directly dead center, the buzz is a lot louder. If I just look dead-on I hear the buzz but not as badly as if my ear is directly facing the TV. Of course I wouldn't watch TV like that since you don't see what's happening on the screen.


Exactly what mine is doing. Received it today. I noticed an echo of the buzz off the wall behind me when I do that (turning my head so one ear is facing the TV), so I'm thinking about trying something to insulate the sound behind the TV and see if that won't reduce it. Its not that bad, my ceiling fan is louder, though. At least during the slides.

I did turn down the brightness and contrast.
post #163 of 5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisko197 View Post

Exactly what mine is doing. Received it today. I noticed an echo of the buzz off the wall behind me when I do that (turning my head so one ear is facing the TV), so I'm thinking about trying something to insulate the sound behind the TV and see if that won't reduce it. Its not that bad, my ceiling fan is louder, though. At least during the slides.

I did turn down the brightness and contrast.

Cool! Let us know if you resolve it!
post #164 of 5875
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by runner66 View Post

does anyone NOT HAVE A BUZZ coming from the front screen

There is no "buzz" what so ever from my 58" 8000.. I took my time and properly installed the ferrit magnets as stated in the owners manual and also going through a monster surge protector.. Quiet as a mouse! At every angle.. My prior samsung 650 plasma was also buzz free.
post #165 of 5875
I wonder if someone reporting a buzzing plasma lives near someone reporting no buzzing at all. That way they can go to each others house and see if they can hear the buzzing on the other persons set. That would help rule out whether or not certain people can hear the buzz.
post #166 of 5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by skooba View Post

I wonder if someone reporting a buzzing plasma lives near someone reporting no buzzing at all. That way they can go to each others house and see if they can hear the buzzing on the other persons set. That would help rule out whether or not certain people can hear the buzz.

That's a good question. I got mine from the Bellevue, WA Mangolia store, and it has a pretty bad buzz. I talked to the salesman who sold me the set and he said they had 2 more in their warehouse, but was going to wait until they were sold and the new batch of 8000's came in before we replace mine.
post #167 of 5875
Not me...I have 50" that's totally quiet.
post #168 of 5875
FYI, the invoice price of the PN63C8000 is around $2650... A Best Buy sales rep slipped the word as I was trying to price match to Abt's price. So far no bueno on matching to Abt's price. California sales tax and recycling fee kind of kills it
Now you know how much cheaper this TV will go for on Black Friday...
post #169 of 5875
Guys,

I need some help to see if I have a defective PN58C8000 or to help me pinpoint an issue. Keep in mind, this is my FIRST plasma TV (coming from a small tube TV before).

My settings: Default Movie mode with motion judder canceller turned off.

I'm noticing that when I'm watching HD shows (e.g., HBO), and the camera is panning or showing people moving around, that I'm experiencing blur/eye fatigue. I wouldn't say it's extra pixelation, but rather just that my eyes can't seem to focus quite right on the image when the camera is panning or the character quickly movies their head from a distance... Up-close images are crystal clear and very impressive.

I am only sitting about 6 - 7ft. from the set.

Is this expected? Anyone else notice this?
post #170 of 5875
anyone know if the touch screen remote bundled with the 9000 which is sold seperatly will work with the 8000 plasmas ( ive read it works with the led 8000 and 9000 series ) also any idea where to buy?
post #171 of 5875
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryantiguan View Post

Guys,

I need some help to see if I have a defective PN58C8000 or to help me pinpoint an issue. Keep in mind, this is my FIRST plasma TV (coming from a small tube TV before).

My settings: Default Movie mode with motion judder canceller turned off.

I'm noticing that when I'm watching HD shows (e.g., HBO), and the camera is panning or showing people moving around, that I'm experiencing blur/eye fatigue. I wouldn't say it's extra pixelation, but rather just that my eyes can't seem to focus quite right on the image when the camera is panning or the character quickly movies their head from a distance... Up-close images are crystal clear and very impressive.

I am only sitting about 6 - 7ft. from the set.

Is this expected? Anyone else notice this?

My Comcast cable acts like that.. It's something with the compression of the signal.. It's a normal artifact.. During fast moving scenes I get a brief break up of little baby pixels.. How do I know it's my Comcast HD cable.. It happens on all TV 's in my house, and also happened when I had my TC-P54VT25.. Your TV is fine.. Just Play a Blu Ray. That's a solid source.. If that looks great your good go.. Keep motion judder off for blu Ray and use CinemaSmooth. For catv keep motion judder off as well.. When it's not needed and used it can cause bluryness/ghosting in people moving fast. I found that Motion judder works great for cartoons and discovery channel documentaries.
post #172 of 5875
anyone know how to check how many hours are on the TV ? any help is appreciated.
post #173 of 5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by runner66 View Post

does anyone NOT HAVE A BUZZ coming from the front screen

Totally quiet except from the back and you have to practically stick your head on it to hear it.
post #174 of 5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoviestar View Post

anyone know if the touch screen remote bundled with the 9000 which is sold seperatly will work with the 8000 plasmas ( ive read it works with the led 8000 and 9000 series ) also any idea where to buy?

If you have an iPhone, or iPod. You can download the free "TV Remote" app from iTunes. It's free, and it's kinda like the touch remote. (make sure your TV's connected to your network)
post #175 of 5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rino13 View Post

anyone know how to check how many hours are on the TV ? any help is appreciated.

This might work, it worked on my B860. After you check, it might reset your hours too.(no promises, I haven't tried this on my new TV, be careful in the service menu)

* Turn the power off
* Press the {MUTE} {1} {8} {2} {POWER} buttons.

* The Service Menu will be displayed.

* Use the {UP} or {DOWN} buttons to select "PDP OPTION"
* Then press the {ENTER} button to access it.

* The hours used will be one of the items listed.

* To exit, press the {RETURN} button or turn the power off.


NOTE: After exiting, all picture settings will be reset to
default values. So make sure to write down custom
adjustments before accessing the Service Menu.
post #176 of 5875
I went to Ultimate today and saw the 58c8000. The line bleed was pretty obvious on ESPN. Do owners notice that too? Man that is bothersome, how do you tune it out? I am guessing you would see that whenever there is text or some shapes on a solid color background. It would certainly bother me.

Sh*t man! Can I not find a TV without any major artifacts??????
post #177 of 5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound & Vision View Post

My Comcast cable acts like that.. It's something with the compression of the signal.. It's a normal artifact.. During fast moving scenes I get a brief break up of little baby pixels.. How do I know it's my Comcast HD cable.. It happens on all TV 's in my house, and also happened when I had my TC-P54VT25.. Your TV is fine.. Just Play a Blu Ray. That's a solid source.. If that looks great your good go.. Keep motion judder off for blu Ray and use CinemaSmooth. For catv keep motion judder off as well.. When it's not needed and used it can cause bluryness/ghosting in people moving fast. I found that Motion judder works great for cartoons and discovery channel documentaries.

Thanks for the advice... I just popped in Avatar blu-ray with BD-WISE mode, motion judder off, and cinema smooth mode ON... and I still notice the same eye fatigue/blury effect when the camera is panning or characters are moving abruptly... it's not small pixels like what you described, just like my eyes can't focus.. imagine looking through a pair of glasses where you just can't seem to focus...

I'm really starting to think that it's because my living room is so small and the viewing distance is only about 6ft?

Anyone else have a PN58C8000 with a viewing distance of 6ft or less?
post #178 of 5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryantiguan View Post

Thanks for the advice... I just popped in Avatar blu-ray with BD-WISE mode, motion judder off, and cinema smooth mode ON... and I still notice the same eye fatigue/blury effect when the camera is panning or characters are moving abruptly... it's not small pixels like what you described, just like my eyes can't focus.. imagine looking through a pair of glasses where you just can't seem to focus...

I'm really starting to think that it's because my living room is so small and the viewing distance is only about 6ft?

Anyone else have a PN58C8000 with a viewing distance of 6ft or less?

6 ft is too close for a 58" in my opinion. Can you move further back and see if you see the same artifact? I saw a c8000 today at Ultimate and the ESPN moving ticker did not seem as crisp as a high end Samsung LED with AMP on. Don't know if that means anything.
post #179 of 5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryantiguan View Post

Thanks for the advice... I just popped in Avatar blu-ray with BD-WISE mode, motion judder off, and cinema smooth mode ON... and I still notice the same eye fatigue/blury effect when the camera is panning or characters are moving abruptly... it's not small pixels like what you described, just like my eyes can't focus.. imagine looking through a pair of glasses where you just can't seem to focus...

I'm really starting to think that it's because my living room is so small and the viewing distance is only about 6ft?

Anyone else have a PN58C8000 with a viewing distance of 6ft or less?

Also keep in mind, movie is shot in 24 fps. So there will be lots of blur and some 24p judder because 24 fps is too slow a speed to resolve quick and even moderate motion. I am not saying everything is fine with the TV, but even on a TV with the best motion rez, you will see 24p blur and judder for movies.
post #180 of 5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandaroy View Post

Also keep in mind, movie is shot in 24 fps. So there will be lots of blur and some 24p judder because 24 fps is too slow a speed to resolve quick and even moderate motion. I am not saying everything is fine with the TV, but even on a TV with the best motion rez, you will see 24p blur and judder for movies.


Interesting points.

Here's one thing that I noticed. When the movie is over and the credits are scrolling by, I can detect judder around the letters as they scroll. They are not as crisp as letters that I've seen on a regular tube tv. Do others notice this too at all?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › *The Official Samsung PNxxC8000 Owner's Discussion Thread!!