or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › *The Official Samsung PNxxC8000 Owner's Discussion Thread!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*The Official Samsung PNxxC8000 Owner's Discussion Thread!! - Page 183

post #5461 of 5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferl View Post


You didn't get any takers on your post so I'll throw in my 2 cents. I also came from a kf50we610 and got a pn58c8000. First suggestion is to not let a static image set too long on the screen so you can avoid burn in/image retention.
Second, pick the factory display setting that looks the best to you and don't come back to this forum for a couple of months. Just enjoy your purchase. I am nothing but pleased with my display, but you will find that few people on Internet forums will say the same. Forums have a tendency to draw the folks with problems or the self perceived uber aficionados that won't be pleased no matter what they have. Many folks are on their 3rd & 4th replacement and have jumped ship and purchased a different brand, only to find dissatisfaction there. Just draw your own conclusions as to the quality of your display before spending a lot of time here. If you read these posts you will want to buy meters and jump up every 2 seconds and run over to the display to take a reading on black levels. Your time spent enjoying your purchase can become a perpetual obsession with finding fault.
If you have an iPad or an iPhone there is remote control app available that will give you a keyboard for use with the samsung tv applications. I just noticed your user name, I think there may be an android app that does the same thing.

Thank you for your reply it was most helpful.
post #5462 of 5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Android View Post

I just purchased (24hrs ago) a Samsung PN50C8000 from BB (Open box floor model) at a pretty steller price. This is my very first flat panel plasma. I'm coming from a 50in Sony Wega RP LCD. The PQ on this set really took me by surprise! amazing....I'm a newbie here and any feedback from other owners on this particular model would be most appreciated

Id recommend that you'd take the time and copy some settings from this thread. You've already made your way here so you must have some interest in getting the best image you can get. The factory modes are rarely close to accurate, these samsungs are no exception.

A few pages back you can find my calibrated settings. Every panel is slightly different, but theyre all far more alike than different, so you'll get much closer to accurate than the stock modes by copying someone else's calibration.

I'd say to begin your tweaking from that point if you desire, but I suspect you'll be more than pleased by my settings.
post #5463 of 5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Id recommend that you'd take the time and copy some settings from this thread. You've already made your way here so you must have some interest in getting the best image you can get. The factory modes are rarely close to accurate, these samsungs are no exception.

A few pages back you can find my calibrated settings. Every panel is slightly different, but theyre all far more alike than different, so you'll get much closer to accurate than the stock modes by copying someone else's calibration.

I'd say to begin your tweaking from that point if you desire, but I suspect you'll be more than pleased by my settings.

Yup, that's what I'm using and I've got no complaints!
post #5464 of 5875
i think it's been about 6 months since i got my 63" 8000 plasma from Best Buy. Aside from the 3D synch loss with my first 6 pairs of glasses, i'm very happy with the tv overall.

early on, i remember reading that if you run all your sources into the TV via HDMI, the optical digital out would only relay 2channel stereo. that bummed me out, but i tried it anyway and my ghetto sony receiver was showing full 5 channel dolby (all speaker channels lit up on the front display). i definitely hear the rear channels at times, so i thought maybe i misunderstood the original documentation. but after some talks with other owners and more careful listening, i'm wondering if my receiver is 'faking' it? what's the story with that? If this helps - when i turn everything on, the reciever says soemthing like PCM 48 breifly and then lights up all 5 speaker icons.


i'm considering getting a new receiver but i'm trying to figure out what to do wrt the fact that i want the TV to see each device on a differnt input so i can have different settings. specifically, for my xbox, i want gamemode and i think that setting is per-hdmi-input. if i run all my sources to the avr, then have it send a single hdmi to the tv, that means i have to manually adjust settings when i switch devices? that seems like a hack.

i can run the XBOX hdmi into the tv and run a separate optical digital cable to the AVR, but that also seems like a hack and i have to fiddle with the cable to get access to both at the same time.

does the auto-settings (i forget the feature name) transmitted by the samsung bluray player work when going through an AVR instead of directly into the TV?

as a side note, i'm considering a denon-2311ci as my new receiver. i know this is not the right place to ask about that but if anyone has that receiver mated to this tv, i'd be interested in pros/cons.

thanks a lot.
post #5465 of 5875
With that denon you can run everything into it and just run one HDMI cable to the tv and you wouldn't have to worry about optical cables at all.

You couldn't have different settings per input in that case. I actually have the exact same setup.

I personally use game mode for all sources since all you really lose is the 10p white balance, which just isn't worth it to me.

If you're dead set on switching on and off game mode, you can at least buy a programmable remote that does macros to make it a little less painful to do so, but otherwise you're boned. Unfortunately there's no single "game mode" button, it's buried deep, deep in the menu, no way around it.
post #5466 of 5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post


Id recommend that you'd take the time and copy some settings from this thread. You've already made your way here so you must have some interest in getting the best image you can get. The factory modes are rarely close to accurate, these samsungs are no exception.

A few pages back you can find my calibrated settings. Every panel is slightly different, but theyre all far more alike than different, so you'll get much closer to accurate than the stock modes by copying someone else's calibration.

I'd say to begin your tweaking from that point if you desire, but I suspect you'll be more than pleased by my settings.

what are your settings by the way?
post #5467 of 5875
post #5468 of 5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKidd10 View Post

here you go Lordy http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=4783

Not to sound to much like a bumbling idiot but how do I apply the 2D settings to my plasma? sorry guys I'm new so I'm learning as I go with it.
post #5469 of 5875
You hit menu on the remote and go to picture its all there.
post #5470 of 5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

With that denon you can run everything into it and just run one HDMI cable to the tv and you wouldn't have to worry about optical cables at all.

You couldn't have different settings per input in that case. I actually have the exact same setup.

I personally use game mode for all sources since all you really lose is the 10p white balance, which just isn't worth it to me.

If you're dead set on switching on and off game mode, you can at least buy a programmable remote that does macros to make it a little less painful to do so, but otherwise you're boned. Unfortunately there's no single "game mode" button, it's buried deep, deep in the menu, no way around it.

thanks for the feedback.

i vaguely recall noticing a difference in picture quality when turning on game-mode so keeping it on might be out for me. i'll have to double check on that

i have a harmony 880 so i was thinking about the auto-switching to game mode when i start the xbox activity but i didn't feel like making such a complicated macro. my 880 is crapping out and i'm gonna need a replacement soon. i think the newer harmony models are ugly by comparison.

went looking for the denon at my local electronics expo - they had it but not hooked up for demo. and their price was terrible. might try a few other local stores to see if i can play around with it somewhere before taking the plunge
post #5471 of 5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKidd10 View Post

You hit menu on the remote and go to picture its all there.

I'm stuck at applying this step in the in the settings:Black Tone off
Dynamic Contrast off
Gamma +1 (this brought it perfectly in line to 2.2)
White Balance: (tracks very near 6500 except 20IRE and below, and I dont trust my meter below that anyway. There is no visible color cast to shadows.)
RO 22
GO 25
BO 22
RG 35
GG 25
BG 39

Color Space - Damn near perfect color, DeltaE all less than 5
Red R31 G0 B5
Green R28 G68 B2
Blue R9 G0 B64
Yellow R53 G60 B7
Cyan R32 G63 B60
Magenta R23 G0 B65

Flesh Tone 0
Edge Enhancement Off

Color Tone Warm 2
Screen Fit
Digital Noise Filter Off
Mpeg Noise Filter Off
Film Mode Off

Help...!
post #5472 of 5875
Hi,

I am looking for an inexpensive wall mount for my PN50C8000. Monoprice seems to have a number of mounts which will work (although from reading past posts it is clear I will need shorter M8 bolts). There are however a very confusing array of mount choices.

Can anyone who has bought their mount from Monoprice give me a little insight into which mount you chose from them, and why (and how it worked out).

Thanks in advance,

Darren
post #5473 of 5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenK View Post

Hi,

I am looking for an inexpensive wall mount for my PN50C8000. Monoprice seems to have a number of mounts which will work (although from reading past posts it is clear I will need shorter M8 bolts). There are however a very confusing array of mount choices.

Can anyone who has bought their mount from Monoprice give me a little insight into which mount you chose from them, and why (and how it worked out).

Thanks in advance,

Darren

I had the mono price slim mount (product #6434) and the sanus LL11-B1 on hand when I mounted my pn58c8000. I think monoprice puts out good products that are very inexpensive, but I used the sanus mount. I chose to use the sanus because I could easily put 2 bolts in each stud and the mount felt sturdier to me. A nice feature of the sanus mount is the ability to fine tune the level of the display after it is hanging on the wall and it has 2 devices that prop the bottom of the display away from the wall to allow access to connections. The sanus came with the correct bolts and there was no need to visit a hardware store. With these mounts there is insufficient space behind the display to accommodate the ferrite cores. I installed a recessed housing (for a power outlet and hdmi connections) directly behind the display where the power cord exits the display. There was sufficient room in that recessed housing to coil the power cord and ferrite cores. You didn't indicate which type of mount you were considering. Did you want it to tilt and how concerned are you with the profile?
post #5474 of 5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferl View Post

I had the mono price slim mount (product #6434) and the sanus LL11-B1 on hand when I mounted my pn58c8000.

+1 on the Sanus mounts... I was going to go with the Sanus VMPL250B after a lot of research before I swapped my 58" for a 50". I liked the way it tilted some vs the LL11... (Amazon had a good price on the VMPL250B too.)

I did help hang my brothers TV on the Samsung "picture frame" mount. It seemed sturdy, but you have to have 2 studs centered behind your TV or it won't work. (The Sanus has lots of holes for mounting to studs that can be off center.)
post #5475 of 5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferl View Post

I had the mono price slim mount (product #6434) and the sanus LL11-B1 on hand when I mounted my pn58c8000. I think monoprice puts out good products that are very inexpensive, but I used the sanus mount. I chose to use the sanus because I could easily put 2 bolts in each stud and the mount felt sturdier to me. A nice feature of the sanus mount is the ability to fine tune the level of the display after it is hanging on the wall and it has 2 devices that prop the bottom of the display away from the wall to allow access to connections. The sanus came with the correct bolts and there was no need to visit a hardware store. With these mounts there is insufficient space behind the display to accommodate the ferrite cores. I installed a recessed housing (for a power outlet and hdmi connections) directly behind the display where the power cord exits the display. There was sufficient room in that recessed housing to coil the power cord and ferrite cores. You didn't indicate which type of mount you were considering. Did you want it to tilt and how concerned are you with the profile?

I don't need any ability to tilt, and I am open to any type of mount (slim, etc) but the price differential between the monoprice mount and the sanus is at least $70 as far as I can see. I appreciate the fact that the sanus is a good mount. But I specifically am trying to get a mount from monoprice which will work. I like their products.

Did you test the monoprice bolts to see if they would work?

Darren
post #5476 of 5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenK View Post

I don't need any ability to tilt, and I am open to any type of mount (slim, etc) but the price differential between the monoprice mount and the sanus is at least $70 as far as I can see. I appreciate the fact that the sanus is a good mount. But I specifically am trying to get a mount from monoprice which will work. I like their products.

Did you test the monoprice bolts to see if they would work?

Darren

I agree in that I like monoprice products just not the 6434 mount. Idid not check bolts after I saw the mount.
post #5477 of 5875
I love my mount. It is the Sanus VMPL3 Dual-Purpose Wall Mount. I have the
Pn58C8000. This mount is very sturdy.
post #5478 of 5875
Has anyone tried applying carnauba wax on the samsung screen to prevent dust and finger prints?

Just tried it on my iPad screen! Looks great
post #5479 of 5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post

Has anyone tried applying carnauba wax on the samsung screen to prevent dust and finger prints?

Just tried it on my iPad screen! Looks great

Is this a joke?
post #5480 of 5875
I'm looking for help on how to apply the following custom 2D settings on the TV I'm stuck at the half way point here

Cell light: 15 (~34 ftl)
Contrast 85 (higher and whites crush)
Brightness: 57 (confirmed only 17 and above blinking on the AVS 709 pattern)
Sharpness: 0 (anything more adds artificial detail and ringing)
Color: 50
Tint G50/R50

Black Tone off
Dynamic Contrast off
Gamma +1 (this brought it perfectly in line to 2.2)
White Balance: (tracks very near 6500 except 20IRE and below, and I dont trust my meter below that anyway. There is no visible color cast to shadows.)
RO 22
GO 25
BO 22
RG 35
GG 25
BG 39

Color Space - Damn near perfect color, DeltaE all less than 5
Red R31 G0 B5
Green R28 G68 B2
Blue R9 G0 B64
Yellow R53 G60 B7
Cyan R32 G63 B60
Magenta R23 G0 B65

Flesh Tone 0
Edge Enhancement Off

Color Tone Warm 2
Screen Fit
Digital Noise Filter Off
Mpeg Noise Filter Off
Film Mode Off
post #5481 of 5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Android View Post

I'm looking for help on how to apply the following custom 2D settings on the TV I'm stuck at the half way point here :

Can you delete everything on that list that you completed and only post the setting you still need to apply? And what exactly do you mean by stuck? Out of curiosity, what software version are you on?
post #5482 of 5875
Expendables on Blu Ray
Cell phone pics sorry for the low res.
LL
LL
LL
post #5483 of 5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferl View Post

Can you delete everything on that list that you completed and only post the setting you still need to apply? And what exactly do you mean by stuck? Out of curiosity, what software version are you on?

I'm stuck from: Black Tone - Flesh Tone and I'm running the most current Software ver.
post #5484 of 5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Android View Post

I'm stuck from: Black Tone - Flesh Tone and I'm running the most current Software ver.

Stuck as in how do I enter the parameters i just described?
post #5485 of 5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Android View Post

Stuck as in how do I enter the parameters i just described?

Enter the menu by be pressing the "menu" button on the remote and then use the up or down arrow to position yourself on "picture". Use the right arrow to move over to select the picture options. Arrow down to "advanced settings" and then arrow right to access the settings. Arrow up or down to access the option setting you wish to change.
Does that help?
If not, I'm still not understanding the issue.
FYI, if you need to change settings starting at black tone you are not near half way through. You still have 95% of the settings to still enter.
post #5486 of 5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Android View Post

Expendables on Blu Ray
Cell phone pics sorry for the low res.

What are you wanting to show us with the pics? Is there a problem with the display?
post #5487 of 5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Android View Post

Stuck as in how do I enter the parameters i just described?

What I'm asking is how do I enter these settings into the TV:

Dynamic Contrast off
Gamma +1 (this brought it perfectly in line to 2.2)
White Balance: (tracks very near 6500 except 20IRE and below, and I dont trust my meter below that anyway. There is no visible color cast to shadows.)
RO 22
GO 25
BO 22
RG 35
GG 25
BG 39

Color Space - Damn near perfect color, DeltaE all less than 5
Red R31 G0 B5
Green R28 G68 B2
Blue R9 G0 B64
Yellow R53 G60 B7
Cyan R32 G63 B60
Magenta R23 G0 B65

Flesh Tone 0
Edge Enhancement Off

Color Tone Warm 2
Screen Fit
Digital Noise Filter Off
Mpeg Noise Filter Off
Film Mode Off
post #5488 of 5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Android View Post

What I'm asking is how do I enter these settings into the TV

The entries in the menu are changed by using the right, left and up or down arrow.
post #5489 of 5875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Android View Post

What I'm asking is how do I enter these settings into the TV:

Dynamic Contrast off
Gamma +1 (this brought it perfectly in line to 2.2)
White Balance: (tracks very near 6500 except 20IRE and below, and I dont trust my meter below that anyway. There is no visible color cast to shadows.)
RO 22
GO 25
BO 22
RG 35
GG 25
BG 39



Color Space - Damn near perfect color, DeltaE all less than 5
Red R31 G0 B5
Green R28 G68 B2
Blue R9 G0 B64
Yellow R53 G60 B7
Cyan R32 G63 B60
Magenta R23 G0 B65

Flesh Tone 0
Edge Enhancement Off

Color Tone Warm 2
Screen Fit
Digital Noise Filter Off
Mpeg Noise Filter Off
Film Mode Off

Whatever you set them at, that's what they will be. There is no save button or anything like that.
post #5490 of 5875
Its in advance settings man
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › *The Official Samsung PNxxC8000 Owner's Discussion Thread!!