or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Channel Master CM-7000PAL HD DVR - AKA Dish DTVPal
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Channel Master CM-7000PAL HD DVR - AKA Dish DTVPal - Page 17

post #481 of 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by ko220 View Post

I've got a question about my new CM-7000 (which I bought as a backup to my DTVPal, but I think I'm going with it for my primary now.) I occasionally get a screen that says that it could not establish the connection for updates, and is unable to update. The weird thing is, I've got automatic updates disabled (Setup/Updates/Disable). Just wondering what is going on.

Mine does this from time to time, maybe for a day or two, then it quits on it's own. I can't remember the last time it did it. So far the best thing about it, it doesn't do it more than it does do it, so it is no biggie. When I first got it, I would check to make sure auto updates was disabled, they always were.
Now, I just push the button and ignore it. Some call it a quirk, but, who knows, maybe it is a "feature" that Dish put in the original software.biggrin.gif
post #482 of 705
Thanks for the replies. It already seems to have stopped, but if it comes back I will reboot a couple times. As for the reception, I guess it's just a fluke, but for almost 2 years I have been adjusting, re-adjusting, and re-re-adjusting my antenna to get certain stations in. When ABC comes in, then NBC falls off a little. I plugged up the CM7000 and presto ~ 80's and 90's on every single channel with absolutely no change in antenna position. So if it's impossible that the CM has better tuners, then maybe the reception fairies sprinkled some fairy dust on the setup. Hey - it could happen! smile.gif Anyway, thanks,

Katie
post #483 of 705
^^^ It may not be a physically different tuner, but rather a parameter tweak in the firmware.
post #484 of 705
U bet, just read the Amazon and CNET user's reports, the CM7000PAL is DA OTA DVR, i believe that it is as good as they will get. As for the gimmickry included in the 7400, everyone with a modern BD player will have access to Vudu, Netflix, Amazon, Pandora etc. via the player.
post #485 of 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpaule View Post

U bet, just read the Amazon and CNET user's reports, the CM7000PAL is DA OTA DVR, i believe that it is as good as they will get. As for the gimmickry included in the 7400, everyone with a modern BD player will have access to Vudu, Netflix, Amazon, Pandora etc. via the player.
I've been using the 7000PAL for a few years and it's been rock solid for me. I love recording OTA with no fees.
post #486 of 705
I have found that the CM-7000PAL has two different types of DVR timers. One is called Event Timer, and the other is called Manual Timer. You can create an Event Timer from the channel guide. In this case the timer will change if the event time slot changes. If you manually edit this timer, or create one by setting start and stoptimes, then it is a manual timer, and loses this functionality.
post #487 of 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschlic1 View Post

You can create an Event Timer from the channel guide. In this case the timer will change if the event time slot changes.

I have never found that to be the case. Many times in the two years I've owned my CM-7000PAL, after selecting a program in the guide, I later found that the recording was botched because the network times had been shifted back due to a previous event, football game for example, having run long.

If at the time I select an event from the guide the scheduled time is from 10:00 to 11:00 pm, that is the actual time my DVR records. It never shifts. If that event gets delayed 20 minutes, then my recording will consist of 20 minutes of the previous network event followed by only the first 40 minutes of the event I wanted.

As far as the manual timers you also mentioned, I use those for repetitive recordings, once a week, Monday-Friday, etc.
post #488 of 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post

I have never found that to be the case. Many times in the two years I've owned my CM-7000PAL, after selecting a program in the guide, I later found that the recording was botched because the network times had been shifted back due to a previous event, football game for example, having run long.
If at the time I select an event from the guide the scheduled time is from 10:00 to 11:00 pm, that is the actual time my DVR records. It never shifts. If that event gets delayed 20 minutes, then my recording will consist of 20 minutes of the previous network event followed by only the first 40 minutes of the event I wanted.
As far as the manual timers you also mentioned, I use those for repetitive recordings, once a week, Monday-Friday, etc.

Well, it's weird. If the TVGuide lists a program as beginning at, say, 10:02pm and running for 30 minutes, I can select it, and it will record that exact odd time. But if a football game goes over on Sunday on CBS (which is every. single. week.) then you have to make allowances beforehand to record an extra hour or so, because the DVR won't adjust. Mostly, I blame CBS for this, and not the poor DVR. Why on earth do they list the start times of shows on Sunday at 7pm when they know for a fact that the stupid football game will go over, and not only that, they insist on showing 3 other freakin game finishes beyond the first game, just to make things later. I think they should move 60 Minutes to another night and just start the other shows at 8, rather than having them all run over. That would solve 99% of my DVR recording problems right there.
post #489 of 705
The event timers are set from the guide. If the programming changes and the guide does not (a program runs overtime) then it won't work. However in this case probably even TiVO won't get it correct.
post #490 of 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschlic1 View Post

The event timers are set from the guide. If the programming changes and the guide does not (a program runs overtime) then it won't work. However in this case probably even TiVO won't get it correct.

If the programming changes the recorded time will stay what was set. All that will change will be the title of the recording.
post #491 of 705
I was never under the impression the CM-7000 had name-based recording, just date/time recording whether manual or from guide. The CM-7400 apparently does have name-based recording.
post #492 of 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschlic1 View Post

.....If the programming changes and the guide does not (a program runs overtime) then it won't work. However in this case probably even TiVO won't get it correct.
That is correct frown.gif It's the main reason I detest CBS Sunday nights mad.gif As you said football NEVER ends on time! why they just don't schedule it 1/2 hr longer is beyond me! Because of this I must pad my Sunday night CBS primetime to run 1hr longer than listed. Football generally only runs 1/2 hr long but occasionally 45 minutes but Tivo doesn't have anything inbetween 1/2 and 1hr so I just settle with 1hr and record the overage.
With a 1TB drive I generally have more than enough space and I generally watch and delete those programs first before other shorter programs.
post #493 of 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I was never under the impression the CM-7000 had name-based recording, just date/time recording whether manual or from guide. The CM-7400 apparently does have name-based recording.

Yeah, it records the date & time, but lists it under whatever name was on the TVGos at the time. I frequently use the "rename" function for my Sunday night recordings, so that I remember it has 2 or 3 programs back-to-back on one recording. I just set it up so it runs for a few hours, rather than having to rename individual shows "Amazing Race 1" and "Amazing Race 2 & Good Wife 1." That just gets to be too unwieldy. CBS really takes its audience for granted, pulling this stuff every week during the fall.
post #494 of 705
^^^
That is not what I meant by name-based recording. With NBR you tell the DVR to record the program and not a specific date/time. The DVR looks for the name of the show in the guide and records it no matter what day or time-slot it appears in. The CM-7400 will do this with the subscription guide service (and of course, the TiVo).
post #495 of 705
HELP PLEASE....looking for a 1tb hdd from a reputable dealer having a hard time finding one. also want to make sure of a correct model# will the wd10evds from amazon work/ some tivo users say it's great...
post #496 of 705
check the sale at newegg the 2tb green wd drives are on sale for I believe $90.

just check to make sure they work with your unit.
post #497 of 705
SAP...? Okay, so last night we were watching New Girl, and there was this annoying voiceover through the whole thing, giving stage directions "Jess sits down....Schmidt leaves the room." I checked the Fox website, and they said the TV probably had SAP enabled, which has narration for the blind, and since many stations don't broadcast SAP, it might be the first time we've heard it. So I checked my Vizio TV, and SAP is not an option there, it's just set for Stereo. The remote for the CM 7000 has a SAP button. But it doesn't seem to work like the Closed Captioning, which is, push it once, and CC is on, push it again, and CC is off (it even says that in the onscreen display.) Since I can't really tell whether SAP is enabled, does anyone know how it works, and most importantly, how to get rid of it? Thanks!
post #498 of 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by ko220 View Post

SAP...? Okay, so last night we were watching New Girl, and there was this annoying voiceover through the whole thing, giving stage directions "Jess sits down....Schmidt leaves the room." I checked the Fox website, and they said the TV probably had SAP enabled, which has narration for the blind, and since many stations don't broadcast SAP, it might be the first time we've heard it. So I checked my Vizio TV, and SAP is not an option there, it's just set for Stereo. The remote for the CM 7000 has a SAP button. But it doesn't seem to work like the Closed Captioning, which is, push it once, and CC is on, push it again, and CC is off (it even says that in the onscreen display.) Since I can't really tell whether SAP is enabled, does anyone know how it works, and most importantly, how to get rid of it? Thanks!

Hi Ko220, I have several station that use SAP to send sound with narration. To switch you have to push the button once, the display appears with the identification for the sound at left last line, and then you push the button again an then it switch to the other audio if there is some.
Normallly the identification for audio is english for the first audio and spanish for the second audio. If the station have change these indentification, the CM-7000 take the second audio, with description for the first channel. This is my case as I live in a french contry (Quebec, Canada). When I tune to one of these station, I have to switch the audio. It revert back each time you change channel. If you record, both audio are recorded.

darmand
post #499 of 705
Can the hard drive be replaced by the user? With tvgos going away, I am deciding between a CM and a TIVO HD OTA recorder.
post #500 of 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay221 View Post

Can the hard drive be replaced by the user? With tvgos going away, I am deciding between a CM and a TIVO HD OTA recorder.

Yes, it can be replaced by the user, but this is the CM-7000 thread, and not the CM-7400 thread (a different animal), which I believe is what you are looking for.

Mark
post #501 of 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay221 View Post

Can the hard drive be replaced by the user? With tvgos going away, I am deciding between a CM and a TIVO HD OTA recorder.

 

Well, if you're even considering TiVo, that means you're willing to pay for the guide data.

 

And in that case, the TiVo w/lifetime fee would be more fiscally practical than a CM-7400 w/yearly guide fee, if you're planning on keeping the DVR for at least 3 years.

 

If you're going to trust PSIP (I wouldn't, personally), or don't mind setting manual timers, then the CM-7400 would obviously be cheaper. Another plus for the CM-7400, depending on your POV, would be that you wouldn't have to dirty a pan to fry eggs.


Edited by Rammitinski - 11/14/12 at 11:17pm
post #502 of 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabuttra View Post

Yes, it can be replaced by the user, but this is the CM-7000 thread, and not the CM-7400 thread (a different animal), which I believe is what you are looking for.
Mark

I was reading reviews of both units, it sounds like CM-7400 has more features, but runs HOT and locks up occasionally. I don't watch a lot of TV, and would like something reliable. What disadvantages would there be to buying a CM-7000 somewhere instead of a 7400?
post #503 of 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by axus View Post

I was reading reviews of both units, it sounds like CM-7400 has more features, but runs HOT and locks up occasionally. I don't watch a lot of TV, and would like something reliable. What disadvantages would there be to buying a CM-7000 somewhere instead of a 7400?

I can't think of any disadvantage, but I'm biased since I own two DTVPals (identical to the CM-7000), and I don't know anything about the CM-7400 except the complaints that I read. I bought the DTVPal as a possible replacement for my Sony DHG, if it ever died. Although the Sony has some features that I prefer over the DTVPal, I am comfortable replacing the Sony with it (I am currently using both the Sony, and the DTVPal), when TVGOS goes away in a few months.

Mark
post #504 of 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabuttra View Post

I can't think of any disadvantage, but I'm biased since I own two DTVPals (identical to the CM-7000), and I don't know anything about the CM-7400 except the complaints that I read. I bought the DTVPal as a possible replacement for my Sony DHG, if it ever died. Although the Sony has some features that I prefer over the DTVPal, I am comfortable replacing the Sony with it (I am currently using both the Sony, and the DTVPal), when TVGOS goes away in a few months.
Mark
TVGOS already disappeared from my unit a couple of days ago.
post #505 of 705
WAIT! WHAT? TVGos is going away? It's my favorite feature of the CM-7000, seriously. I can find all kinds of programs that are not listed in other TV guides. Say it ain't so!!!! So we'll be left with PSIP only?
post #506 of 705
Okay, sorry, I'm over my freak-out. After looking around, I realize that TVGOS is going the way of the do do bird. Yikes, that really is disappointing. But I do have a question: There are a couple of stations in Atlanta that don't display more than 24 hours on the grid. Is that PSIP displayed on the TVGOS grid? Not sure how it works. If I at least get 24 hours I could work with it, but I might be seriously considering a TIVO in the future.
post #507 of 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by ko220 View Post

Okay, sorry, I'm over my freak-out. After looking around, I realize that TVGOS is going the way of the do do bird. Yikes, that really is disappointing. But I do have a question: There are a couple of stations in Atlanta that don't display more than 24 hours on the grid. Is that PSIP displayed on the TVGOS grid? Not sure how it works. If I at least get 24 hours I could work with it, but I might be seriously considering a TIVO in the future.
PSIP displays up to 24 hours but some display less. I have only two channels that display 24 hours, the rest all show around 8 hours. It's up to the individual stations, I believe the FCC requires them to post at least 8 hours.
post #508 of 705
Unfortunately, many stations don't even follow the minimum requirements, let alone use the maximum guide length possible (16 days). Some stations use generic PSIP as a way to pretend they comply with the rules, so every program is named "DTV Program" or something equally pointless in the guide. Since each station is responsible for populating its own schedule, the quality and length of each guide varies widely by station, and so far the FCC has done nothing to improve the state of PSIP.
post #509 of 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 View Post

PSIP displays up to 24 hours but some display less. I have only two channels that display 24 hours, the rest all show around 8 hours. It's up to the individual stations, I believe the FCC requires them to post at least 8 hours.

You are close. The FCC requirement is 4 blocks of EIT/ETT which are nominally 3 hours each. I say nominally since if a program starts in the last block and runs past the boundary (0:00, 3:00, 6:00 .. , 18:00, 21:00 UTC) you'll see more and once a block is started, it will be less than 3 hours.
Quote:
PSIP displays up to 24 hours but some display less

That's 8 EIT/ETT blocks but ....
Quote:
... let alone use the maximum guide length possible (16 days)

Correct. PSIP actually supports 128 blocks (16 x 8 per day)
post #510 of 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

Unfortunately, many stations don't even follow the minimum requirements, let alone use the maximum guide length possible (16 days). Some stations use generic PSIP as a way to pretend they comply with the rules, so every program is named "DTV Program" or something equally pointless in the guide. Since each station is responsible for populating its own schedule, the quality and length of each guide varies widely by station, and so far the FCC has done nothing to improve the state of PSIP.

I've had pretty good luck contacting channels when they are not supplying guide data. I've done it three times (twice on one channel and once on another) and every time the guide was populated within an hour of my notification. Your mileage may vary.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Channel Master CM-7000PAL HD DVR - AKA Dish DTVPal