or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official LG XXLE5400 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official LG XXLE5400 Owners Thread - Page 6

post #151 of 1508
detailoriented you likely have one with a VA panel. Can you check for this on yours? You can possibly try different inputs.
post #152 of 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by detailoriented View Post

Currently I am frustrated with my 42LE5400. The TV is excellent and does TV/Movies/internet all perfectly.

The problem is input lag, I was wondering if anyone in the thread has experience with both the LG 42LE5400 and the sharp 40LE810UN and how the input lags compare?

The input lag of the 42LE5400 is slight but unfortunately noticable. It is small enough that I can live while playing Smash Bros. or mario Kart wii but when I play dance dance revolution when I step on beat I get "great" not "perfect" and even if I only slightly miss the beat I get a full "miss"

Before you ask, I am in game mode ont he composite inputs with the input labeled PC or Game, I have tried both.

-DO

The Sharp have some of the lowest 2010 recorded input lag and this is no deferent for the 810un.
post #153 of 1508
I think I have the IPS as under a magnifying glass I see >>> shapes.

I snagged component inputs and will test them tomorrw (work to do) then report back

I have heard the sharps are better but if anyone could say they have tried both the 5400 and the 810un and say they saw a noticable improvement in lag.

-DO
post #154 of 1508
I heard the Sharp's have really bad motion blur as noted here.
What is the firmware version on your TV? Mine is 06.00.04.
You can find this by going to Menu, press the red button on your remote and then select Product/Service Info.
post #155 of 1508
Best Buy currently has the LG 5400 on sale when you pair it with an LG blu ray player, even with some input lag and edge lit, this is a scream of a deal.
post #156 of 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylan View Post

Best Buy currently has the LG 5400 on sale when you pair it with an LG blu ray player, even with some input lag and edge lit, this is a scream of a deal.

They have it on sale tonite in Canada too for a crazy deal, for a special Reward Zone shopping night. THinking of either the 47 or 55inch, and if I find out I don't like it I will take it back.
post #157 of 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylan View Post

Best Buy currently has the LG 5400 on sale when you pair it with an LG blu ray player, even with some input lag and edge lit, this is a scream of a deal.

I liked the deal too. That is why I own one and I am asking about the sharp's now.

As for the input lag I was seeing on the Wii I found alot of it is from the TV processing 480i. I bought a set of Wii component cables and configured the Wii for 480p and the lag dropped to a very small amount that makes even dance dance revolution playable (the margin between perfect and great is now very small but if you dance perfect you still get perfect)

-DO
post #158 of 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by eneyman View Post

One other VERY IMPORTANT thing I wanted to mention, when I was at best buy, I was fiddling with their 42LD550 kiosk model (the 46 inch was on the wall showing normal feed).. I decided to power off and then on the 550 just to see how long it takes etc and when it turned back on, the colors were jacked, it was like the board got fried and I was watching scrambled cable.. I turned it off and on about 4 more times and it was still screwed up permanently so this kind of scared me out of looking at LG..


Yeah, you don't want to get an LG. Apparently all their tvs are designed to only power on properly one time, so if you turn it off and then back on it won't work.
post #159 of 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by detailoriented View Post

Currently I am frustrated with my 42LE5400. The TV is excellent and does TV/Movies/internet all perfectly.

The problem is input lag, I was wondering if anyone in the thread has experience with both the LG 42LE5400 and the sharp 40LE810UN and how the input lags compare?

The input lag of the 42LE5400 is slight but unfortunately noticable. It is small enough that I can live while playing Smash Bros. or mario Kart wii but when I play dance dance revolution when I step on beat I get "great" not "perfect" and even if I only slightly miss the beat I get a full "miss"

Before you ask, I am in game mode ont he composite inputs with the input labeled PC or Game, I have tried both.

-DO

I just took this back and exchanged for a Panasonic Plasma this afternoon.
I had such terrible lag on this TV when watching anything from the news to playing Rock Band (with game mode both on and off). In rock band, things would literally lag so much it nearly grinded to a halt. I kept the TV for 28 days to see if it would go away with time, but it didn't.
The new Plasma has absolutely 0 lag and a much better picture and was also $250 cheaper.
post #160 of 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by killwhitneydead View Post

I just took this back and exchanged for a Panasonic Plasma this afternoon.
I had such terrible lag on this TV when watching anything from the news to playing Rock Band (with game mode both on and off). In rock band, things would literally lag so much it nearly grinded to a halt. I kept the TV for 28 days to see if it would go away with time, but it didn't.
The new Plasma has absolutely 0 lag and a much better picture and was also $250 cheaper.

detailoriented later mentioned that this issue was just with 480i.
post #161 of 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename_Falcon View Post

detailoriented later mentioned that this issue was just with 480i.

Not with mine. Was in 1080p.
I may have been unlucky and had one of the VA panels though. Blu-Ray (using the PS3), XBOX 360 and TV were all just as bad as eachother, and none of them were being used in 480i.
post #162 of 1508
Quick question for the group, are there any "burn in" issues with these sets? (I'm looking at the 55 LE5400) I've been on Panny plasmas for 5+ years now and have no clue about the LED/LCD panels.

edit to add: I've been using the venerable Panasonic XP30 DVD player with the Faroudja chip for a long time now and I think it's about time to upgrade. Is it worth going with the Best Buy combo deal listed (55 LE5400 with the BD590 player)?
post #163 of 1508
Okay, I haven't seen anyone bring this up, hopefully it's the right forum for it. Have a 47LE5400. It is hooked up through HDMI to a Denon AVR-591 receiver.

Is it possible to use the Netflix to play my movies through this (or any) receiver? Or am I stuck using the TV itself?

Also, when using My Media, when I play movies, some play fine, others will play the video with a message on the screen saying "Unsupported Audio".

All of my movies are MP4 (with m4v container), all standard definition. I also have a HP MediaSmart running Windows Home Server, which acts as the media server (also supports DLNA, like the TV).

I used G-Spot to compare one movie that worked, and another one that did not. As far as I can tell, everything is the same?

Am I also limited to playback strictly through the TV with this as well?

I'm sorry if I left out any info, just ask, and I can provide it. Thanks!
post #164 of 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by acedzero View Post

Okay, I haven't seen anyone bring this up, hopefully it's the right forum for it. Have a 47LE5400. It is hooked up through HDMI to a Denon AVR-591 receiver.

Is it possible to use the Netflix to play my movies through this (or any) receiver? Or am I stuck using the TV itself?

Also, when using My Media, when I play movies, some play fine, others will play the video with a message on the screen saying "Unsupported Audio".

All of my movies are MP4 (with m4v container), all standard definition. I also have a HP MediaSmart running Windows Home Server, which acts as the media server (also supports DLNA, like the TV).

I used G-Spot to compare one movie that worked, and another one that did not. As far as I can tell, everything is the same?

Am I also limited to playback strictly through the TV with this as well?

I'm sorry if I left out any info, just ask, and I can provide it. Thanks!

You'll need to run a optical audio cable from the optical out on the TV into your receiver.
post #165 of 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by killwhitneydead View Post

I had such terrible lag on this TV when watching anything from the news to playing Rock Band (with game mode both on and off). In rock band, things would literally lag so much it nearly grinded to a halt.

You might have been experiencing something different than input lag. Input lag will not bring anything to a grinding halt. It is a constant delay between the signal and the display. Everything will view smoothly so you would not notice in any TV/Movie/video. the only place you would notice is where you are actively interacting with the TV like a video game.

Input lag on rockband will look just fine but will make it so that the note you thought you timed perfectly with the TV actually happened a fraction of a second sooner thus being recorded as a late or miss.

I know this doesn't help the problem you had but I wanted to distinguish your issue from input lag.

-DO
post #166 of 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by killwhitneydead View Post

You'll need to run a optical audio cable from the optical out on the TV into your receiver.

Thank you for that. This helped so I could play the audio through my receiver.

I am still experiencing the "Unsupported Audio" error even though the 2 movies I mentioned in my original post are encoded in the same exact fashion?
post #167 of 1508
Load the movies in MediaInfo and check the audio section. You should be able to see the differences there.
post #168 of 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codename_Falcon View Post

Load the movies in MediaInfo and check the audio section. You should be able to see the differences there.

The only difference I see is that the second audio stream (AC-3) for the movie that works is 384kbps, the one that doesn't work is 448kbps. I also have a LG BD570 connected to another TV in the house and will play both movies fine. Still a bit confused...
post #169 of 1508
i just picked up a 55LE5400 yesterday to replace my old 52" toshiba whos lcd panel went kaputz after only 2.5 years... and i must say wow... this tv is amazing...

gonna try the calibration settings now to see how good it is
post #170 of 1508
I have the 55LE5400. Has anyone noticed a line occasionally running through the screen, it occurs about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom.

It's really hard to explain, but it looks like the picture is gonna go out or lose "reception"....I have the AN100 Wireless Kit, running HD wirelessly, I figured it was just an issue caused by this type setup
post #171 of 1508
For those of you that have wall mounted the 55LE5400, which mount did you get and did you like it? I am looking at the tilting wall mounts. Possibly the Sanus VMPL3.
post #172 of 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenstein897 View Post

For those of you that have wall mounted the 55LE5400, which mount did you get and did you like it? I am looking at the tilting wall mounts. Possibly the Sanus VMPL3.

I purchased the low profile mount from monoprice. Works great. If you get any kind of low profile mount you'll want to purchase some angled hdmi port savers because of the limited room behind tv when mounted. Without the port savers your cables and hdmi ports may get stressed.
post #173 of 1508
Do any other LE5400 owners suffer from uneven backlighting/clouding?

If so did anyone find a fix or did they go away with time?

-DO
post #174 of 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by detailoriented View Post

Do any other LE5400 owners suffer from uneven backlighting/clouding?

If so did anyone find a fix or did they go away with time?

-DO

no problems with mine.
post #175 of 1508
Mine is nearly flawless. I only notice a bit of uneven backlighting if I turn the backlight up almost all the way.
post #176 of 1508
So, I checked out monoprice...ummm...really? Their prices are super low...are they any good? I was looking at over a buck fifty for a Sanus these are a forth of the price. I am wanting a tilting mount so I am really nervous about the stability of this LG 55".

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyjoe View Post

I purchased the low profile mount from monoprice. Works great. If you get any kind of low profile mount you'll want to purchase some angled hdmi port savers because of the limited room behind tv when mounted. Without the port savers your cables and hdmi ports may get stressed.
post #177 of 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenstein897 View Post

So, I checked out monoprice...ummm...really? Their prices are super low...are they any good? I was looking at over a buck fifty for a Sanus these are a forth of the price. I am wanting a tilting mount so I am really nervous about the stability of this LG 55".

I have not bought a mount from them but I have done all my cables through them without any problems at all.

Also worth noting if I do buy a wall mount it will be from monoprice.

-DO
post #178 of 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyjoe View Post

no problems with mine.

I just picked up the 55le5400 and have a great deal of flashlighting from all 4 corners on an IPS panel. I am generally pleased with the picture except when watching 4:3 material as the light emanating from the black bars is annoying.

I already returned a samsung 55c6500 because it was quirky. Some material looked so spectacular but other material was always having work to adjust the picture.

I am not sure if I should consider this set defective as i believe all edge lit led sets have a lot of light coming from corners when viewed on black.
post #179 of 1508
Thread Starter 
I can vouch for monoprice. they are the best, never buy hdmi cables or any accessories from a brick and morter if you can get them from Monoprice
post #180 of 1508
kriegs do you have the backlight all the way up? That's the only time I see flashlighting. If not I would exchange it for another.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official LG XXLE5400 Owners Thread