Originally Posted by griesjj
About a month ago I bought an AVR-791 and a mix of Polk and Definitive Tech. speakers and set them up in a 5.1 arrangement. I send signals from my DVR box and BD to the receiver with HDMI and then route a single HDMI line to the TV (Panasonic VT25). About once a week I get a loud pop (or series of pops) from the speakers. The noise is so loud it causes me to jump, like a gunshot going off in the room. It comes from all the speakers simultaneously and happens for no apparent reason. After the third or fourth time this happened I exchanged the receiver thinking I must have picked up a defective unit. I found out last night that the new one does the same thing.
Anyone had this problem before or know how to try fixing it? It has only happened while watching cable but I believe I have isolated it to the Denon receiver because it did not happen with the pioneer receiver I had before.
Hi griesjj, more ideas to isolate the problem from cable box.
- hear if it only happens on SD or HD or both
- set cable box audio to output stereo PCM instead of Digital 5.1 surround
- use Optical cable for audio from cable box instead of HDMI audio
- use RCA (red & white) cables from cable box instead of HDMI and Optical audio
- if possible try a different cable box
- check all connection (including speakers)
- try a different HDMI input (or all)
- try a different HDMI cable from cable box
- reset microprocess (Auto Setup will need to be rerun)
- check all connection
- try a different HDMI input (if using ARC)
Hope this helps to pinpoint which is at fault. My guess is probably the cable box.