The AVR 891 and AVR 2311 are "twin" models. The 2311, being the "CI" model, adds a few features; the differences between the two (beyond cosmetics) are:
(1) The AVR 2311 adds HD radio
(2) The AVR 2311 has Zone 2 pre-outs (so you are not required to use the "amp assign" to power Zone 2). This means that, with the additional of an external 2-channel amp, the 2311 can run 7.1 + Zone 2 (whereas the 891 can only do 5.1 + Zone 2).
(3) The AVR 2311 has expanded Zone 2 setup options, including bass/treble controls and optional HPF (high-pass filter) for Zone 2 speakers, the ability to switch Zone 2 between stereo and mono, and variable volume output for the Zone 2 pre-outs
(4) The AVR 2311 has a "Room-to-room" remote control jack so you can hard-wire an infrared remote extender for your 2nd zone
(5) The AVR 2311 has the "CI" features: RS-232 control port, 12V trigger output
So I am trying to figure out which one to buy. Initially I was going to go with the 2311, but if the 891 is virtually the same.
I am not an expert in audio...I have a 5.1 speaker setup and just gonig to upgrade my receiver at this point. If I have the HD radio does that require a subscription (ala XM) so if I didn't want a subscription this feature does me no good?
I don't know what 2, 3, and 5 are (4 seems obvious, and I don't need that).
Also what do you think the price difference will be? If the price difference is only $100 I would go for the 2311...if it's 300-400 I would go for the 891 (pending someone convincing me that I really should go for the 2311 for some reason).