or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › *Official* Denon AVR-1911/791 & AVR-2311CI/891 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*Official* Denon AVR-1911/791 & AVR-2311CI/891 Owner's Thread - Page 155

post #4621 of 5023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbi View Post

I also have a Polk sub and I have it connected as ccotenj described it and Audissey run without issues.

Good to hear. It turns out that I have a Velodyne subwoofer and a Denon AVR-2106 with this same configuration (including the Polk speakers) from an install I made some years back, but the Velodyne manual actually called for it explicitly.

I should have stretched my brain a bit and realized sooner that this Polk subwoofer would work similarly, instead of second-guessing. Just getting old and slow.

- ooofest
post #4622 of 5023
I have a problem with my AVR-791. I'm getting no sound from my 5.1 speakers unless I run the Audessy auto setup. I hear the click of the amp coming on when turning on or off the AVR but also when the setup starts and finishes, after the setup it goes back to no sound. I have reset the microprocessor with no luck.

It was all working fine till today. Any ideas
post #4623 of 5023
^^
Try blowing compressed air into the headphone jack, or simply insert/remove a headphone plug a few times.
post #4624 of 5023
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Try blowing compressed air into the headphone jack, or simply insert/remove a headphone plug a few times.

That worked. Thanks.
post #4625 of 5023
^^
Great! That was easy and quick. Enjoy your day.
post #4626 of 5023
There is no "phono" input for the AVR-791. In order to get a turntable to work, do I need a pre-amp device to play records on a turntable and plug into a different input port? Thanks for any advice.
post #4627 of 5023
^^
Correct. A phono preamp will connect to any of the analog inputs on the AVR.
post #4628 of 5023
Thanks JD... any recommendations on pre amps?
post #4629 of 5023
Pulling my hair out.... just got a new Sony 60NX720 and AVR-1912.... Trying to get ARC to work.... Enabled on the receiver, and they seem to be communicating (for example when I switch the speaker setting on the TV from TV -> External I hear the AVR click).... But I never hear any sound..... any suggestions?
post #4630 of 5023
^^
If you have enabled "Control for HDMI (BraviaSync)" on the TV and still no joy, then turn both the AVR and TV OFF and back ON again to see if that resolves the issue. If not, then you will need to connect an optical cable from the TV to the AVR.
post #4631 of 5023
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal11 View Post

Thanks JD... any recommendations on pre amps?

Nothing specific no as there are numerous models offered on line. Check out the below sight for more info.

http://www.needledoctor.com/New/Phono-Preamps
post #4632 of 5023
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
If you have enabled "Control for HDMI (BraviaSync)" on the TV and still no joy, then turn both the AVR and TV OFF and back ON again to see if that resolves the issue. If not, then you will need to connect an optical cable from the TV to the AVR.

After much trial and tribulation, I tried another (shorter) HDMI cable... the original one was a High Speed HDMI 1.4 from Monoprice (25ft - 22AWG)... new cable works, but still a bit flaky....

If I switch to optical, is there any downside besides an extra cable? Also - how do I tell the TV to output to Optical vs HDMI ARC?
post #4633 of 5023
^^
Nope, no downside ... in fact you might even get better quality audio as many TVs only output PCM 2.0 using ARC, while they can output DD 5.1 from the optical audio out. To go the optical route, disable BraviaSync on the TV or HDMI Control on the AVR.
post #4634 of 5023
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Nope, no downside ... in fact you might even get better quality audio as many TVs only output PCM 2.0 using ARC, while they can output DD 5.1 from the optical audio out. .

I've not heard that before. I believe there's no difference in audio formats between the ARC and optical outputs.
post #4635 of 5023
I can plug my ipod into the ipod dock and it works as advertised but my iphone won't work. It loads and I can see songs and playlists on the AVR but when I play a song there is no sound. probably some stupid setting. Any suggestions?
post #4636 of 5023
Quote:
Originally Posted by slennon View Post

I can plug my ipod into the ipod dock and it works as advertised but my iphone won't work. It loads and I can see songs and playlists on the AVR but when I play a song there is no sound. probably some stupid setting. Any suggestions?

Hi slennon, don't know but maybe turn up the volume on the iPhone.
post #4637 of 5023
Don't know what it was but it's working today
post #4638 of 5023
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Yes, it's possible to "stack" inputs on the same source name; however, the HDMI input takes priority so ensure it is turned OFF prior to turning ON the alternate source.

Ok,
So I've since moved my htpc to the BD input via hdmi and input 3 (which is sat/cbl & assigned to component/optical for bell), is still occasionally having video disconnects every 5 secs when htpc is on.

I can understand this happening when I initially had my htpc on the same input as the bell, but should this still be happening?

Thanks
post #4639 of 5023
^^
Yes, HTPC's often have HDMI handshake issues with AVRs. Try the tips listed in this post --> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...?p=20422026#L7
post #4640 of 5023
I just got a new blu-ray player and under the "Digital Audio" setup section it is asking for the "Sampling Frequency". The choices are "48", "96" or "192". Does anyone know what the best setting is for the Denon 2311ci? Thanks for any help!
post #4641 of 5023
^^
The player should default to the correct frequency of the DVD/BD/CD audio track, however, 96hz should do the trick.
post #4642 of 5023
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
The player should default to the correct frequency of the DVD/BD/CD audio track, however, 96hz should do the trick.

Thanks, so I guess it really doesn't matter what it's set at? Maybe I should have asked if the Denon is capable of 192hz if I set it at that?
post #4643 of 5023
^^
Audyssey won't work above 96hz on the 2311CI.
post #4644 of 5023
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Audyssey won't work above 96hz on the 2311CI.

Good to know, thanks.
post #4645 of 5023
note that the VAST majority of movie soundtracks (even Blu-ray with lossless tracks) are 48kHz sample rate. Only a few movies are 96kHz... and it's only the occasional, rare boutique offering that is 192kHz, so basically you aren't missing anything by setting it at 96kHz max output in the player.

You can check what you are getting in the Denon GUI by going to INFORMATION > AUDIO INPUT SIGNAL and it will show you the sample rate of the input signal.
post #4646 of 5023
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

...
You can check what you are getting in the Denon GUI by going to INFORMATION > AUDIO INPUT SIGNAL and it will show you the sample rate of the input signal.

Also, good to know. I'll have to program that into my Harmony as I hardly ever use the remote that came with the Denon.
post #4647 of 5023
Quote:
Originally Posted by debrain View Post

Ok,
So I've since moved my htpc to the BD input via hdmi and input 3 (which is sat/cbl & assigned to component/optical for bell), is still occasionally having video disconnects every 5 secs when htpc is on.

I can understand this happening when I initially had my htpc on the same input as the bell, but should this still be happening?

Thanks

Jd,

Sorry, perhaps I've misled you as to which input this is actually happening on. I am having no issues while on the htpc input. Only getting dropouts when I'm on the component/optical input (and only if the htpc wakes up)

Or

Perhaps I'm just misunderstanding...are you saying then that hdmi handshake issues from htpc's on a completely different input can cause video/audio dropouts when you're actually on a component/optical assigned input?

i read through the faq and the one potential resolution of running hdmi to the tv and optical to the avr is not an option for me, although i did try component straight to tv. That got rid of video dropouts, but audio dropout still ocurred. (Again, only if htpc wakes up).

I also tried different inputs and cables for htpc with same results on the component/optical input.

Sorry if i sound as though im doubting known hdmi handshake issues. I do realize they do occur; but affect other inputs you're currently centered on?
- just wanna know if im dealing with known issues and advice on workarounds or... if avr maybe faulty?
- my current short and simple resolution is to keep pc off while on component input


Thanks
post #4648 of 5023
^^
No, you should not be experiencing the dropouts with the optical audio input. You may want to try resetting the microprocessor.
post #4649 of 5023
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
No, you should not be experiencing the dropouts with the optical audio input. You may want to try resetting the microprocessor.

So no luck even after reset. Still though, this did only start happening after I introduced the htpc to the mix. Should I consider that the avr maybe faulty then or call denon? Sure seems odd.
post #4650 of 5023
^^
I'd give Denon a call, but in the end it may just be easier to keep the HTPC off.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › *Official* Denon AVR-1911/791 & AVR-2311CI/891 Owner's Thread