or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › *OFFICIAL* Denon AVR 391 / 591 / 1611 Owner's Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

*OFFICIAL* Denon AVR 391 / 591 / 1611 Owner's Thread - Page 8

post #211 of 4583
Thread Starter 
the biggest advantage the expensive Denon-branded dock provides is being able to control the ipod with the Denon remote and through the on-screen interface. If you are OK with manually changing the tunes yourself on the ipod, you can use any old 3rd-party dock which will be much cheaper (you can find docks for 20 bucks on amazon/ebay), or just use the mini-to-RCA y-cable from the headphone jack (which won't provide the benefit of charging the ipod for you like a dock would).
post #212 of 4583
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

the biggest advantage the expensive Denon-branded dock provides is being able to control the ipod with the Denon remote and through the on-screen interface. If you are OK with manually changing the tunes yourself on the ipod, you can use any old 3rd-party dock which will be much cheaper (you can find docks for 20 bucks on amazon/ebay), or just use the mini-to-RCA y-cable from the headphone jack (which won't provide the benefit of charging the ipod for you like a dock would).

Would "any old dock" also charge? Or only the Denon specific one.
post #213 of 4583
Thread Starter 
any dock with a power supply (i.e. something that plugs into a wall outlet) will charge an ipod.
post #214 of 4583
Ordered 16 AWG speaker wire and the mini to RCA Y cord off of Monoprice just now. Also grabbed a subwoofer cable since that will be inevitable at some point.


I'm super pumped! This will be the best equipment I've owned so far.
post #215 of 4583
This being new to me, what is best crossover frequency settings for the 591?
Thanks.
post #216 of 4583
Rather than applying a single crossover to all speakers, one is applied to each speaker separately. Run AUTO SETUP and let the Denon set your crossovers. If it sets any below 80hz, raise them up to 80hz, otherwise leave them alone. Set all speakers to SMALL.
post #217 of 4583
Thanks for this.
post #218 of 4583
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Rather than applying a single crossover to all speakers, one is applied to each speaker separately. Run AUTO SETUP and let the Denon set your crossovers. If it sets any below 80hz, raise them up to 80hz, otherwise leave them alone. Set all speakers to SMALL.

Regardless if you have a sub or not?

I will be going 4.0.
post #219 of 4583
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdameron View Post

Regardless if you have a sub or not?

I will be going 4.0.

No, that recommendation was assuming the more common 5.1 setup.

Without a sub, the Denon must set the front mains to LARGE. If you have (4) identical speakers, it doesn't really matter if the side surrounds are set to LARGE or SMALL. The Denon will likely set them to SMALL with a crossover that can be left alone. If set to SMALL, those frequencies below the crossover and the LFE signal (.1 in DD/DTS 5.1 audio) will be sent to the front main speakers.
post #220 of 4583
I just purchased a Denon 1611 to replace a failed yamaha. I set up the system last night, but I found that it would not display anything from the cable box. I checked the HDMI cable and the other inputs and everything works. Connecting the cable box to the tv directly works just fine.

Did i set up something wrong or is this an incompatibility with the cable box? Any fixes? Thanks in advance!
post #221 of 4583
Make sure to try all the HDMI jacks and if still no joy, then reset the microprocessor (p. 72).
post #222 of 4583
I would like to thank everyone on this thread for making my choice of the Denon AVR-1611 an easy one. (Purchased at BB since they priced matched the online authorized dealers). Since this is my first HTS I wanted to start with a solid receiver and build up from there.

Next, I purchased a pair of Def Tech's 800 for my fronts and the Def Tech 1000 as my center. My setup is hooked up with 12AWG speaker wire and 24AWG HDMI high speed cables, both from monoprice. The HDMI cables are extra thick, though they are not flexible for easy hook up. (Note, I'm currently running a 3.0 HTS because I have not decided what to run for the Rears and the Sub. I did not like the Def Tech 800 prosub for that price since I felt it was out classed by the similar Energy and Klipch subs. I would appreciate any recommendations for Rears and Subs, and have read the other threads, but still undecided).

Then with Batpig and Jdsmoothie in mind, I ran the Auto Setup feature, only to realize I needed to have the TV on. First no-no was that I used my hand to move around the mic. Second, I kept bouncing around the room for the next 5 calibrations. Some were done with all doors and windows open and some with the significant other on the phone. Great job for a rook.

Lastly, I popped in Inglorious Bastards on Blu-ray. Right off the opening credits, my center was making a weird noise, a blow horn sound. Then the movie began and the sound went away. The Fronts and Center sounded great throughout the flick. However, the sound came back during some scenes and when the significant other spots it, I knew something was off.

Thus, I ask for guidance. Should I start with the Auto Setup again, rewire everything, return the center, and/or am I being too sensitive since I do not have the complete 5.1/7.1 HTS? Thanks in advance for any input.
post #223 of 4583
Quote:
Originally Posted by kato311 View Post

First no-no was that I used my hand to move around the mic. Second, I kept bouncing around the room for the next 5 calibrations. Some were done with all doors and windows open and some with the significant other on the phone. Great job for a rook.

Firstly, those satellites aren't going to handle the lower ranges very well so you'll want to add a sub pronto if TV/movies make up the primary reason for the new surround setup.

You answered your own question on whether to rerun AUTO SETUP. The room should be completely quiet with the doors shut to reduce outside noise. Go out and get an inexpensive tripod to use for the mic positions (a 2' lamp can also be used by taking the lamp shade off and setting it on the edge of the couch and table for the 6 positions). And don't be in the room when the speakers are being pinged.

That said, it's still possible the center speaker could have an issue, however, redo the AUTO SETUP again correctly and then move on to troubleshooting the center speaker. Make sure that it's aimed up towards ear height of the primary listening position.
post #224 of 4583
My 591 showed up on my lunch break.

It's larger than I thought and will have about 2-3" of space on all sides. Is that enough? I could leave the front door of the entertainment center open when I use it.
post #225 of 4583
That should be enough, depending on how the air can escape out the back. See how much heat is generated after running a couple of hours to determine if you need to leave the front door open. Or better yet, simply remove it.
post #226 of 4583
Me and my father in law both purchased the 591. Love the reciever but my father in laws might have some issues. When I set his up, his remote would constantly lock up continually showing the remote to be sending some sort of signal and it wouldnt respond at all to it. Seeing as I have a Harmony one I just gave him my remote and it works just fine. Now his unit while watching Uverse(moto box dvr) will start to crackle the audio in and out until you turn it off and back on again.

Its all hooked up via HDMI.

Anyone else having issues like this with theirs? Mine runs fine no problem but Im running Fios.(different moto cable box) Im wondering if its his HDMI out from his cable box or the unit itself causing the issues. Im going to be giving him a harmony remote for his bday today so I'll be over there checking his audio out through his BD player too to see if it does it on that as well.

Thanks,
Ed
post #227 of 4583
Quote:
Originally Posted by edpsx View Post

Me and my father in law both purchased the 591. Love the reciever but my father in laws might have some issues. When I set his up, his remote would constantly lock up continually showing the remote to be sending some sort of signal and it wouldnt respond at all to it. Seeing as I have a Harmony one I just gave him my remote and it works just fine. Now his unit while watching Uverse(moto box dvr) will start to crackle the audio in and out until you turn it off and back on again.

Its all hooked up via HDMI.

Anyone else having issues like this with theirs? Mine runs fine no problem but Im running Fios.(different moto cable box) Im wondering if its his HDMI out from his cable box or the unit itself causing the issues. Im going to be giving him a harmony remote for his bday today so I'll be over there checking his audio out through his BD player too to see if it does it on that as well.

You can isolate the AVR or STB by trying his STB with your AVR. You would either have to hook his box up to your AVR or take you AVR to his place and hook it up. That will tell you which device is at fault.

I don't have any kind of cable/satellite box myself but I have noticed in different brand AVR reviews on Amazon (Denon, Pioneer, Onkyo, ...), many people complain about their STBs and HDMI. I would just use a digital audio cable to the Denon and run the set top box video straight to the TV, if that fixes things. It seems the cable/sat boxes are flaky.
post #228 of 4583
Yeah Im betting its the STB too. Why cant motorola get their act together on that stuff? Even my Fios box in my bedroom has HDMI issues, yet every other HDMI electronic Ive ever had works flawless.

I know he had issues with the STB(HDMI)-> TV with his old Sony TV he had and AT&T told him to use component cables from the STB instead. That just defeats the whole purpose of having a nice one cable/connection solution though and being able to use that nice shiney hdmi built in switcher. I have my old Onkyo 607 I can bring to his house to try as well.
post #229 of 4583
Quote:
Originally Posted by edpsx View Post

Anyone else having issues like this with theirs? Mine runs fine no problem but Im running Fios.(different moto cable box) Im wondering if its his HDMI out from his cable box or the unit itself causing the issues. Im going to be giving him a harmony remote for his bday today so I'll be over there checking his audio out through his BD player too to see if it does it on that as well.

Cable/sat boxes often have HDMI handshake issues, however, the Uverse boxes were specifically having problems known to be caused by the Uverse box itself. There was supposed to be a firmware update, although not sure what the status is on that. Suggest you have your father-in-law contact his cable provider to determine status update. The work around is either going HDMI direct to the TV with optical from the Uverse box to the AVR or connecting both a component and optical cable from the Uverse to the AVR.
post #230 of 4583
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Firstly, those satellites aren't going to handle the lower ranges very well so you'll want to add a sub pronto if TV/movies make up the primary reason for the new surround setup.

Any suggestions on the sub? (Under $400)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

That said, it's still possible the center speaker could have an issue, however, redo the AUTO SETUP again correctly and then move on to troubleshooting the center speaker. Make sure that it's aimed up towards ear height of the primary listening position.

Thanks for the quick reply. For some reason, I can't log in using Chrome, and I despise using IE.

I reran the auto setup. This is my current configuration:

FRONTS: Large. // Fullband
L: -2.5 db
R: -3.0 db

Center: Small. // 100hz
-6.0 db

Any changes? Thanks.
post #231 of 4583
I have Uverse and the sound comes in/out at times. Not enough, but I'm sure it's going to start getting annoying.

Also, I can no longer control the menu from the remote.
post #232 of 4583
No changes as the settings seem fine.

There's a known issue with Uverse boxes. Either connect HDMI directly to the TV with optical from the Uverse to the AVR or go component/optical from the Uverse to the AVR.

The remote must be set to AMP in order to control the AVR's menu.
post #233 of 4583
Thanks.

On the Uverse, I'm going HDMI to TV, and components to AVR.
post #234 of 4583
If it's an HD Uverse box you'll want to use an optical cable rather than an analog cable in order to pass the DD 5.1 on HD channels. Although if you're getting audio cutouts using an RCA cable then it's likely an issue with the Uverse box. Make sure it's got the latest firmware update.
post #235 of 4583
OK so I got my shiny new 591 and hooked it all up. I've never owned anything but HTIB and so far am blown away by the quality. My first Denon, and my first true AVR. I originally had a $250 budget for a receiver but I'm glad I expanded to get this thing. Sound quality is fantastic with the Polk RTi4s. Audyssey calculated the distance of my speakers very well. I now don't think I need a subwoofer. And I'm in an apartment so that's a great thing. For a day and a half I hooked up the new RTi4s to the old HTIB receiver and was very very underwhelmed with the range of the speakers. Sounded like a tin can with no bass at all. Now it sounds fantastic!

Other than fantastic musical improvement over the HTIB, the single biggest improvement is the sound imaging while playing the Xbox 360. I've never heard it like this. Not sure what it's doing that the other wasn't but my 4.0 system is plenty immersive.

My Blu ray player will be here on Monday and I can't wait to test out the Denon with that.

A+ receiver!
post #236 of 4583
Same here, new 591 owner!! I was rocking a 10 year old Kenwood HTIB. The Denon just dominates it. Also just picked up a Sony 55ex500, xbox360s, ps3 slim and a panamax 5100.....yeah it was a good day!! post new pics in sig soon.
post #237 of 4583
What impedance can the 591 handle? The RTi4s I'm using are 6 or 8 ohms, I can't remember... but the cheap rears I'm using are 3 ohms. Is this going to hurt the receiver in any way?
post #238 of 4583
Denon AVRs are designed to easily handle 6-16 ohm speakers. Some have reported no issues using 4 ohm speakers as their front mains at below reference level volumes. The surround speakers use very little power at all, so it's likely you won't have any problems. If there is a problem, the 591 will shut down in protection mode (w/o harming the AVR).
post #239 of 4583
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Denon AVRs are designed to easily handle 6-16 ohm speakers. Some have reported no issues using 4 ohm speakers as their front mains at below reference level volumes. The surround speakers use very little power at all, so it's likely you won't have any problems. If there is a problem, the 591 will shut down in protection mode (w/o harming the AVR).

The Audyssey calibration set my fronts as Large and rears as Smalls, which is correct. (No sub and no center)

My question is if/when I get better rears (maybe another set of RTi4's), can the rears be set to Large in the settings? Or just re-run Audyssey and let it choose? I don't want to upgrade rears just to have them set to Small again.
post #240 of 4583
Without a sub the front mains can only be set to LARGE, while all other speakers can be set to LARGE or SMALL regardless of how the AVR sets them. Although you're still going to want to rerurn AUTO SETUP when you add more speakers.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › *OFFICIAL* Denon AVR 391 / 591 / 1611 Owner's Thread