or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Receiver Comparison (+Speaker Question)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Receiver Comparison (+Speaker Question)

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
I'm looking to buy a receiver for my room, right now everything is just running through the TV. Here's my current setup:

BEV Receiver (HDMI)
360 (HDMI)
PS3 (HDMI)
Wii (Component)

I also have a Numark TT200 vinyl record player I'd like to hook up.

Right now, I'm just looking to buy a receiver to use with an old set of speakers that have probably been here since the 80's. The speakers are Accusound ASX-37 -- I couldn't find anything online about them. Here is the info on the back:

I'll upgrade them eventually, but this receiver purchase is mainly for the use of my record player.

Here are the 2 receivers I've been looking at:

Sony STR800 or Pioneer VSX-520-K

So my questions are, which receiver is better at this price and will these old speakers actually work with the new receiver?

Edit: Here is a picture of the information on the back of the speakers.
post #2 of 13
Thread Starter 
Post 2
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Post 3
post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 
Sorry, the forum wouldn't allow me to link until my 3rd post.

Here is some information on the receivers and speakers.

Speaker Information

Sony STRDH800

Pioneer VSX-520-K

Edit: My Price in CDN for the receivers is: Sony - $349, Pioneer - $329.

Thanks!
post #5 of 13
I hope you realize that neither of the AVR's you have chosen do NOT have phono inputs. Sorry about that. Welcome to the forum. Someone will help you find what you need in a price range you can afford.
post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

I hope you realize that neither of the AVR's you have chosen do NOT have phono inputs.

I did not realize this, thats why I'm posting here, haha.

I've just some some searching, right now I'm using a pre-amp -> computer speakers for the record player, can I incorporate the pre-amp somehow? Sorry, I really have no clue when it comes to this stuff.
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroyds View Post

I did not realize this, thats why I'm posting here, haha.

I've just some some searching, right now I'm using a pre-amp -> computer speakers for the record player, can I incorporate the pre-amp somehow? Sorry, I really have no clue when it comes to this stuff.

You may want to give the Onkyo 707 a look. Check out the prices for these at Newegg on Saturdays.
post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

You may want to give the Onkyo 707 a look. Check out the prices for these at Newegg on Saturdays.

Ahh, quite a bit out of my price range. Will the pre-amp to receiver suffice?

Edit: Here is the pre-amp I have.

http://www.apexelectronics.com/produ...4&cat=25&id=42
post #9 of 13
You can add an external phono pre amp for less than $50 as I recall. I fail to see the reason to spend more than that on what I view as a basic amplifier with RIAA EQ (mandatory on phono pre amps.)
post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

You can add an external phono pre amp for less than $50 as I recall. I fail to see the reason to spend more than that on what I view as a basic amplifier with RIAA EQ (mandatory on phono pre amps.)

Good news, thanks.

Now, will the speakers work fine with either receiver? I know they're very old :\\
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroyds View Post

Ahh, quite a bit out of my price range. Will the pre-amp to receiver suffice?

Edit: Here is the pre-amp I have.

http://www.apexelectronics.com/produ...4&cat=25&id=42

Yes, that should work with either of them. And the speakers should work fine also.
post #12 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

Yes, that should work with either of them. And the speakers should work fine also.

Awesome, thanks for your help.

Which brand would you recommend? Sony or Pioneer?
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroyds View Post

Awesome, thanks for your help.

Which brand would you recommend? Sony or Pioneer?

Pioneer......easily.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Receiver Comparison (+Speaker Question)