or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › OFFICIAL Sony STR-DN1010 3D-Ready HDMI 1.4 Receiver Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OFFICIAL Sony STR-DN1010 3D-Ready HDMI 1.4 Receiver Thread - Page 6

post #151 of 361
Hey at least the tone of this thread is quite positive... I just bought this receiver a couple of hours ago. I brought it home and plugged in to a random out let just to make sure it powered up properly before going through all the trouble of hooking it up to my system. It turned on then after about 10 seconds it gave me the PROTECTOR error. And now after reading the manual apparently that means there is a problem with the speakers. Well first off why do you get the error when there are no speakers hooked up and then why after installing it properly with all my speakers, projector, DVR, Blu-Ray and PS3 does it still shut down just after flashing the PROTECTOR error? A little disappointed right now! I thought this was going to be an upgrade... Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Austin
post #152 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmquist View Post

Hey at least the tone of this thread is quite positive... I just bought this receiver a couple of hours ago. I brought it home and plugged in to a random out let just to make sure it powered up properly before going through all the trouble of hooking it up to my system. It turned on then after about 10 seconds it gave me the PROTECTOR error. And now after reading the manual apparently that means there is a problem with the speakers. Well first off why do you get the error when there are no speakers hooked up and then why after installing it properly with all my speakers, projector, DVR, Blu-Ray and PS3 does it still shut down just after flashing the PROTECTOR error? A little disappointed right now! I thought this was going to be an upgrade... Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Austin

Why you have the chance bring it back and get yourself a different receiver....... A lot of people in thread are experiencing to many issues with the 1010. I brought mine back due to the lack of bass being output to my SW. Go back and read the last few pages of this thread and you'll see what I mean.
post #153 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post

Why you have the chance bring it back and get yourself a different receiver....... A lot of people in thread are experiencing to many issues with the 1010. I brought mine back due to the lack of bass being output to my SW. Go back and read the last few pages of this thread and you'll see what I mean.

I agree man. He should take it back. This "receiver" is definitely not worth the hassle it brings. I can't take mine back so in order to punish myself for this idiotic purchase I take a cattle prod and slam it into my face everyday. I will never buy a Sony product again after this debacle.
post #154 of 361
Actually, mine is starting to behave...and even sound GOOD...still not sure why I rarely get the blue 'Digital Dolby' light on, as I'm sure DISH broadcasts that...I found out that I have to change some DVD sound settings on the PS3 for it to work when watching DVD's/BluRays...but haven't tried it yet. Once I got the 'correct' order of powering things on so that the crotchety HDMI Handshake worked...the signal doesn't drop out...and the bass is even respectable now. For the price I got it at, I'm not gonna complain too loudly...but had I paid more...I'd be fumin' mad....
post #155 of 361
Hi There,

Every so often when I'm using my cablebox remote, the video from the receiver will suddenly go black with dark blue dots.

Has anyone had that problem? Any ideas???

Thanks,
-Matt
post #156 of 361
I've had this unit for a few months now. It would go into its "protection mode" when I would run the auto calibration. This piece of equipment is complicated and the manual is convoluted at best. Just when I was really regretting purchasing this unit I decided to give it one last chance. I reset it to its defaults and then set up all of the speakers manually (surround pattern, speaker size, audio levels test tone and crossover levels). It sounds great and it works well with my other components and dish network system. I bought a Polk a powered sub woofer to go with this system and never had any problems getting enough bass. I am cautiously optimistic that this unit will work out to be great for me.
post #157 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdjman View Post

Actually, mine is starting to behave...and even sound GOOD...still not sure why I rarely get the blue 'Digital Dolby' light on, as I'm sure DISH broadcasts that...I found out that I have to change some DVD sound settings on the PS3 for it to work when watching DVD's/BluRays...but haven't tried it yet. Once I got the 'correct' order of powering things on so that the crotchety HDMI Handshake worked...the signal doesn't drop out...and the bass is even respectable now. For the price I got it at, I'm not gonna complain too loudly...but had I paid more...I'd be fumin' mad....

Cool!! I hope it stays fixed, but I would hate having to wonder if it's gonna do it again. Keep us posted.
post #158 of 361
I found out why the Digital Dolby wasn't working. It seems that, even if you're connected via HDMI, you still need an optical connection between the DISH DVR & the receiver. Once I did that...it worked, and there was a definite difference in the sound. I haven't seen it happen while watching DVD/BluRay on the PS3...but I haven't messed with it much yet.

I will say that Sony's customer service isn't too impressive. I was wondering if the person was still there - there were long delays between their responses, and then they finally just directed me to a web page with instructions.

Not to be non 'PC', but I really believe it was because they couldn't explain it in English - every time I would ask a question, they would just point me to the web page.

I guess if it solved the issue, it's of no consequence...but it just was weird...
post #159 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdjman View Post

I found out why the Digital Dolby wasn't working. It seems that, even if you're connected via HDMI, you still need an optical connection between the DISH DVR & the receiver. Once I did that...it worked, and there was a definite difference in the sound. I haven't seen it happen while watching DVD/BluRay on the PS3...but I haven't messed with it much yet.

I will say that Sony's customer service isn't too impressive. I was wondering if the person was still there - there were long delays between their responses, and then they finally just directed me to a web page with instructions.

Not to be non 'PC', but I really believe it was because they couldn't explain it in English - every time I would ask a question, they would just point me to the web page.

I guess if it solved the issue, it's of no consequence...but it just was weird...

That's odd? I would think Dish would pass along the Dolby Digital signal through the HDMI cable as well. There could be a setting in your Dish box somewhere.
post #160 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC72 View Post

That's odd? I would think Dish would pass along the Dolby Digital signal through the HDMI cable as well. There could be a setting in your Dish box somewhere.

That's what I thought, too, but on the web page the Sony rep directed me to, it says that with a DSS receiver, you must have an optical audio connection....and there is a specific optical port for cable box/Satellite box on the DN1010... I took a brief look at the VIP 722 settings, and didn't see anything that looked to be related.

One other thing - you can't have the receiver set to AMP & TV for the audio...it has to be AMP only.

Picky, picky, picky...
post #161 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdjman View Post

That's what I thought, too, but on the web page the Sony rep directed me to, it says that with a DSS receiver, you must have an optical audio connection....and there is a specific optical port for cable box/Satellite box on the DN1010... I took a brief look at the VIP 722 settings, and didn't see anything that looked to be related.

One other thing - you can't have the receiver set to AMP & TV for the audio...it has to be AMP only.

Picky, picky, picky...

What is the web page the Sony rep referred you to?
post #162 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladnar2 View Post

What is the web page the Sony rep referred you to?

They referred me to this page. The light still doesn't illuminate when a DVD/BR is played on the PS3...maybe I need another optical cable there.

I contacted DISH, and they say I shouldn't need an optical from the DVR, as it DOES pass both video & dolby digial audio via HDMI...that doesn't change the fact, however, that I do seem to.

Maybe the 1010 doesn't process DD thru HDMI - only optical...in which case I would say piss-poor design...
post #163 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdjman View Post


Maybe the 1010 doesn't process DD thru HDMI - only optical...in which case I would say piss-poor design...

It might be that individual HDMI port on your receiver, because when you use your BD/DVD player, DD/DTS and lossless audio have to pass through. Lossless can only be passed through HDMI, no exceptions. However DD/DTS only need optical. This receiver is very poorly designed. I'm so glad I got rid of this piece of crap.
post #164 of 361
I contacted DISH, and they say I shouldn't need an optical from the DVR, as it DOES pass both video & dolby digial audio via HDMI...that doesn't change the fact, however, that I do seem to.

Maybe the 1010 doesn't process DD thru HDMI - only optical...in which case I would say piss-poor design...[/quote]

It does pass DD thru HDMI, but to do so your dish receiver must be putting out a DD signal. My Dish DVR is only connected to my str-dn1010 via HDMI and my DD blue light comes on if the Channel is HD and the channel is sending a DD signal to Dish. After much trial and error my str-dn1010 is set up correctly and works perfectly. It sounds great - 7.1 surround sound can't be beat.

You may want to check with Dish.
post #165 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdjman View Post

They referred me to this page. The light still doesn't illuminate when a DVD/BR is played on the PS3...maybe I need another optical cable there.

I contacted DISH, and they say I shouldn't need an optical from the DVR, as it DOES pass both video & dolby digial audio via HDMI...that doesn't change the fact, however, that I do seem to.

Maybe the 1010 doesn't process DD thru HDMI - only optical...in which case I would say piss-poor design...

You may want to check this Dish link:

http://www.dishnetwork.com/SupportSe...by-not-working
post #166 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladnar2 View Post

It does pass DD thru HDMI, but to do so your dish receiver must be putting out a DD signal. My Dish DVR is only connected to my str-dn1010 via HDMI and my DD blue light comes on if the Channel is HD and the channel is sending a DD signal to Dish. After much trial and error my str-dn1010 is set up correctly and works perfectly. It sounds great - 7.1 surround sound can't be beat.

You may want to check with Dish.

Yup, I know...and I've had it on a network HD Channel (CBS, NBC) during a DD Broadcast...and no blue light special. Once I connected the optical, as well as the HDMI...Blue light...and a difference in the sound.

I'll still monkey around with it, but it ticks me off that there isn't someone on either Sony or Dish's CS team that actually can explain things...in English... I'm not a complete moron, nor am I even the typical end user...but this is still more difficult than it needs to be.

Thanks for the info tho!
post #167 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdjman View Post

Yup, I know...and I've had it on a network HD Channel (CBS, NBC) during a DD Broadcast...and no blue light special. Once I connected the optical, as well as the HDMI...Blue light...and a difference in the sound.

I'll still monkey around with it, but it ticks me off that there isn't someone on either Sony or Dish's CS team that actually can explain things...in English... I'm not a complete moron, nor am I even the typical end user...but this is still more difficult than it needs to be.

Thanks for the info tho!

It's mind boggling why Sony makes things more difficult than it has to be....
post #168 of 361
Unfortunately, it's not just Sony. Almost if not all major companies farm their customer support offshore, and, no offense to those folks, but if they don't understand the language well, or are not knowledgeable about the products, they should pass you up the chain to someone who CAN help.

On another product of Sony's, the KDL 52V5100 and a number of other similar TV's, there is an audio drop out issue that there IS a software update for...no one has really bothered to tell the customer service folks though, and they make it like pulling teeth to get the correct update sent to you...and they don't have it on the website for download, either...like...they don't want to admit there is a problem.

Maybe the entire Sony corporation should join Alcoholics Anonymous...
post #169 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdjman View Post

Yup, I know...and I've had it on a network HD Channel (CBS, NBC) during a DD Broadcast...and no blue light special. Once I connected the optical, as well as the HDMI...Blue light...and a difference in the sound.

I'll still monkey around with it, but it ticks me off that there isn't someone on either Sony or Dish's CS team that actually can explain things...in English... I'm not a complete moron, nor am I even the typical end user...but this is still more difficult than it needs to be.

Thanks for the info tho!

The manual is poorly written and doesn't follow any logical progression. I am certainly no expert but I finally got my system to work properly

You may want to check to see if your Dish receiver audio settings set to:
Decoder = dolby/pcm
Mode = rf (don't know what this is)?
If not you can use your dish remote to select menu -system setup -audio output and then adjust the settings. That's how mine is set up and it works with only an hdmi connection from the dvr to the Sony 1010.

Good luck
post #170 of 361
Actually, mine works now, with the Dolby set to LINE, not RF, on the VIP 722. I was on Dish chat, and after the level I tech could barely understand my question...I was passed up to level II...and that tech told me to put it on LINE...so I did...then removed the optical cable...and it works. Go figure...
post #171 of 361
Glad to hear that it's working.
post #172 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdjman View Post
Actually, mine works now, with the Dolby set to LINE, not RF, on the VIP 722. I was on Dish chat, and after the level I tech could barely understand my question...I was passed up to level II...and that tech told me to put it on LINE...so I did...then removed the optical cable...and it works. Go figure...
Thanks for your post. I switched my VIP settings from RF to line just to hear if there was any difference. I noticed an improvement in the sound quality. I think the RF setting is designed to compress the dynamic range. The Line signal is uncompressed.
post #173 of 361
So far my receiver works great. Love how it turns on and off with my Sharp Aquos LCD. It also upconverts my Wii 100% better than my HK and Onkyo did. I bought the Sony because my HK 247 was a complete piece of garbage with tons of issues and my Onkyo 605 only lasted 2 years before the sound kept cutting out. I figured I would give Sony a try since I have had great luck with them in the past.

I do have one question. What is SW L.P.F. really used for? My Bic F12 subwoofer already has a filter so I figured this setting should be set to off. I have tried both settings and hear no difference. I get plenty of bass so far.
post #174 of 361
Hey guys, I just got my STR-DN1010 set up last night. I'm using Onkyo SKS HT540 7.1-CH home theater speakers. I have my digital cable box > HDMI 1, ps3 >HDMI 2 and HDMI OUT > 46" LG Plasma TV. I also have a Wii set up via the old school white, red, yellow cables > Video 1.

Here are my issues. The Wii video looks HORRIBLE. The image is blurry and grainy. Do I need to change something on the receiver to make the picture look better when using the old school connections? My biggest issue right now is that the screen keeps going black for short periods at random times. The display goes from scrolling Dolby Digital to HDMI 1 when the screen goes black and then back to scrolling when the picture comes back. After reading through this thread, I guess it's going into protection mode? although it never says this on the receiver's screen. I was wondering how to resolve this. How do I set my spearkers up manually? Maybe that's the problem? I tinkered with it very minimally last night, but the manual leaves a lot to be desired.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance.
post #175 of 361
I have my Wii hooked directly to the TV, not run through the 1010, so I can't help you there (maybe I'll try to hook it up this weekend, just for giggles). You may want to try different cables??

I think your other issue is a handshake problem with the HDMI. Try turning components on in a different order. Mine usually works best when I turn on the 1010, then the DVR, then the TV. It may black out & lose signal once or twice, but then it seems to settle down.

HDMI may be state-of-the-art, but it certainly has its flaws and is a major pain in the a$$
post #176 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyella View Post

Hey guys, I just got my STR-DN1010 set up last night. I'm using Onkyo SKS HT540 7.1-CH home theater speakers. I have my digital cable box > HDMI 1, ps3 >HDMI 2 and HDMI OUT > 46" LG Plasma TV. I also have a Wii set up via the old school white, red, yellow cables > Video 1.

Here are my issues. The Wii video looks HORRIBLE. The image is blurry and grainy. Do I need to change something on the receiver to make the picture look better when using the old school connections? My biggest issue right now is that the screen keeps going black for short periods at random times. The display goes from scrolling Dolby Digital to HDMI 1 when the screen goes black and then back to scrolling when the picture comes back. After reading through this thread, I guess it's going into protection mode? although it never says this on the receiver's screen. I was wondering how to resolve this. How do I set my spearkers up manually? Maybe that's the problem? I tinkered with it very minimally last night, but the manual leaves a lot to be desired.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance.

Our Wii is plugged into Cat/Sat using the 3 video and 2 audio cables, the so called "Wii hd cable". Use the Wii remote to set the Wii output to 480p wide screen and surround sound. It should be fine.
post #177 of 361
Hello, I just bought Sony STR-DN1010 Receiver but I only have 5.1 speaker system, my problem is when ever i do auto calibration I kept having error 33 which is mean my rear surround not connect, so that mean this receiver is only work for 7.1 speakers? not gonna work on 5.1 speakers? help me please how to do auto calibration on 5.1 on this receiver. thx
post #178 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by congpham View Post

Hello, I just bought Sony STR-DN1010 Receiver but I only have 5.1 speaker system, my problem is when ever i do auto calibration I kept having error 33 which is mean my rear surround not connect, so that mean this receiver is only work for 7.1 speakers? not gonna work on 5.1 speakers? help me please how to do auto calibration on 5.1 on this receiver. thx

Hi congpham, if you're running 5.1 setup make sure the two surround speakers are connected to "Surround Speaker" post (which is above "Front A") and not to "Surround Back/Front High/Bi-AMP/Front B" speaker post.
post #179 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi congpham, if you're running 5.1 setup make sure the two surround speakers are connected to "Surround Speaker" post (which is above "Front A") and not to "Surround Back/Front High/Bi-AMP/Front B" speaker post.

Thanks for replay, I did connect my front speakers to Front A, Surround speakers to surround, center speakers to center, subwofer to subwoffer...I did not connect anything to "Surround Back/Front High/Bi-AMP/Front B" and still keeping error 33
post #180 of 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by congpham View Post

Thanks for replay, I did connect my front speakers to Front A, Surround speakers to surround, center speakers to center, subwofer to subwoffer...I did not connect anything to "Surround Back/Front High/Bi-AMP/Front B" and still keeping error 33

Hmm, double check all speaker connection (at receiver and speakers itself). Make sure "Speaker" mode is not turned off and is set to "Speaker A".

If still no go, try resetting the receiver back to factory default.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › OFFICIAL Sony STR-DN1010 3D-Ready HDMI 1.4 Receiver Thread