or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'The Event' on NBC HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'The Event' on NBC HD - Page 2

post #31 of 1268
Yeah... they should have at least tried to make the trailers look like something different than FlashForward. I don't think the few million people who stayed on board for FF are willing to go for another ride that will likely end the same way.
post #32 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan54 View Post

Wouldn't you assume the Event is ........... "V" ??

yeah... my vote is that aliens has been on earth for years, decades, if not millenium.

and there are a group of people that supposed to keep them secret, until 'THE EVENT"...
post #33 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

So "Persons Unknown" was no good? I've been recording it, but have only watched the first episode, preferring to wait and see if it was actually going to have some sort of conclusion.

It was okay. "All was not revealed", contrary to NBC's promos, but it was decent light summer fare similar to last year's 'Harper's Island' (which was slightly better written and acted). There is a conclusion of sorts, but it was clearly pointing toward a second season with a pseudo-cliffhanger ending. I like vast world-wide conspiracy thrillers, so I've just added this one to the pile of others I've seen. It sure beats all the brain-dead super-cheap reality junk all over the summertime airwaves, that's for sure. Scripted serialized shows are always preferable to that dreck.
post #34 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

So "Persons Unknown" was no good? I've been recording it, but have only watched the first episode, preferring to wait and see if it was actually going to have some sort of conclusion.

Not great, but not bad .. I hung on for the whole run .. did get involved with a few of the characters .. would probably give a second season a chance .. looking forward to "The Event" ..

Anybody know when the premier is scheduled ..??
post #35 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Not great, but not bad .. I hung on for the whole run .. did get involved with a few of the characters .. would probably give a second season a chance .. looking forward to "The Event" ..

Anybody know when the premier is scheduled ..??

September 20.
post #36 of 1268
Rolling Stone gave it a very luke warm, if even that, write up in their fall tv edition. They said Blair Underwood was good and that is about all they had good to say about it.
post #37 of 1268
Rolling Stone??? Those guys are still around???
post #38 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

Rolling Stone gave it a very luke warm, if even that, write up in their fall tv edition. They said Blair Underwood was good and that is about all they had good to say about it.

Thankfully I dont hedge my viewing on rollingstone magazine .
post #39 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

Rolling Stone??? Those guys are still around???

You must not have seen their recent 'True Blood' cover. Got a lot of pub.
post #40 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post

Thankfully I dont hedge my viewing on rollingstone magazine .


True I don't make my viewing decisions totally on it, but I can't believe they are way out in right field as far as the show itself. We'll see.

Blair Underwood's hometown of Petersburg, VA won one of the 5 pre screenings of the pilot.
post #41 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieva View Post

True I don't make my viewing decisions totally on it, but I can't believe they are way out in right field as far as the show itself. We'll see.

Blair Underwood's hometown of Petersburg, VA won one of the 5 pre screenings of the pilot.

A lot of times its a matter of taste in shows. If the reviewer is well known for panning shows of this type then, I'd take it with a grain of salt. If they are a fan of this type of show then, Id be a "little" more worried. With all of the music, dance, and other reality shows on TV, this type of show usually gets hurt beccause it makes people pay attention, or doesnt give enough information right away. I heard a review from someone that I know is more "geeky" and they said out of all the Pilots The Event was the one to watch on NBC.
post #42 of 1268
I have to say, NBC's marketing worked. I'm going to watch it despite my misgivings of 1) dedicating to another serialized show after doing so for the last 6-8 years, and 2) get invested only to have it implode. Gave up on FlashFoward and rightfully so in the end. Don't want a repeat.
post #43 of 1268
I guess I'll record it, maybe watch it if the buzz is good. Still have the last 9 episodes of Heroes sitting on my dvr, and have no motivation to watch them, even over the summer. May just dump them and try not to get sucked into any of NBC's crappy shows...
post #44 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by chestnu1 View Post

With barely seeing anything for this show I am assuming the event has to do with aliens. It seems to be the only thing that makes sense.

From what I have heard, big secret, government involvement, Alaska mentioned as a source for the event I would say it is probably related to HAARP
post #45 of 1268
uh oh...

just read ENTERNTAINMENT WEEKLY. the producers say they will reveal what the event is on the series finale...

so if this thing makes it more than 2 season, it could be like LOST...

now i'm hoping it wont make it past the december break...
post #46 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldivinag View Post

uh oh...

just read ENTERNTAINMENT WEEKLY. the producers say they will reveal what the event is on the series finale...

so if this thing makes it more than 2 season, it could be like LOST...

now i'm hoping it wont make it past the december break...

I would take that with a grain of Salt, it was also reported earlier that the Event would be revelaed in the 1st 2 episodes or so. If its like Lost and gets the same following I think NBC would be mighty pleased.
post #47 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldivinag View Post

uh oh...

just read ENTERNTAINMENT WEEKLY. the producers say they will reveal what the event is on the series finale...

so if this thing makes it more than 2 season, it could be like LOST...

now i'm hoping it wont make it past the december break...

You have to think they'd have learned their lesson from the LOST finale backlash. They can't be that stupid anymore.

If I'm a network executive and somebody tries to pitch me one of these ambitious serialized dramas, the first question I'm asking them is if they have it outlined from soup to nuts. They have to know what the ending is, and they can't have a bunch of loose ends dangling at that point, never to be resolved. In other words, I'd treat them like a good book editor treats an author. You never see the kind of colossal cop-out as the LOST finale in the literary world, do you?

Then I'd ask them how long the show should last for them to tell the story the way they want, and we'd discuss announcing the end date right up front; it worked for LOST. I'd also ask them if they have a contingency plan to give the show some kind of early closure if it tanks. Then I'd let them make their pitch.

Of course, I'm not a network executive. But I should be, dadgumit.
post #48 of 1268
If that's the case, then we're virtually guaranteed of never knowing what the "event" is as I give NBC about 1 in 50 chance of this show lasting longer than the initial episode order.

I don't even know why they would even make such a comment. This show just went from a watch and see how it goes to a DVR and wait for me.
post #49 of 1268
I still haven't forgiven NBC for what they did to Journeyman, so I'm not sure I'm going to even give "The Event" a chance even though I'm intrigued. Journeyman, IMO, was the best thing on TV that year (and the years since honestly) and NBC dumped it just as it was getting really good.
post #50 of 1268
LOL, I've come to the conclusion that some people should just not watch TV period, what with all the consternation, hostility and heart ache it apparently causes in their lives .


ron
post #51 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

I have to say, NBC's marketing worked. I'm going to watch it despite my misgivings of 1) dedicating to another serialized show after doing so for the last 6-8 years, and 2) get invested only to have it implode. Gave up on FlashFoward and rightfully so in the end. Don't want a repeat.

Same here I got through about November watching "Flash Forward" and I thought this is terrible - the acting, the dialogue, the plot holes..., why am I wasting my time with it? Dropped it like a bad habit and glad I did.

With "The Event", I think I will save a couple of the DVR and listen to critical and audience response before I invest in it.
post #52 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragedogg69 View Post

From the HOTP:

Roush: "It's not as dark and grim as FlashForward was. And it does take a twist at the end..."

Wait...there's going to be a twist at the end?! I never saw that coming...

...wait, maybe that's the twist...

Perhaps the event...is people. "Monday is 'Event Green' day. Every day is 'Event Red' day..."

All kidding aside, I do have this set to record. However, I'm pretty sure that's based completely on a lack of anything else more compelling that's new this season.

All signs point toward my increasing my use of Netflix this Fall.
post #53 of 1268
This show has "cancellation" written all over it.
post #54 of 1268
So torn. My track record with NBC lately is poor since they put Kings into purgatory from it's debut on.
post #55 of 1268
Ugh. My Mondays are already spoken for by higher quality programming. Will probably netflix the season 1 DVD if it makes it that far.
post #56 of 1268
C'mon guys, ease up! If this tanks you can kiss any more expensive, complex, serialized conspiracy thrillers on broadcast TV goodbye. In the drama category, it will be all cop/doc procedurals all the time; ugh. Is that what you want? Let's give it a chance, like we did for 'Flash Forward'.

Okay, maybe a bad example...
post #57 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

C'mon guys, ease up! If this tanks you can kiss any more expensive, complex, serialized conspiracy thrillers on broadcast TV goodbye. In the drama category, it will be all cop/doc procedurals all the time; ugh. Is that what you want? Let's give it a chance, like we did for 'Flash Forward'.

Okay, maybe a bad example...

Yeah, I'm a Flash Forward casualty .. I am going to give The Event a shot .. at least they keep trying .. FF was quite compelling to me anyway during it's early episodes .. who knows .. ? There may be another X-Files waiting to happen ..
post #58 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Yeah, I'm a Flash Forward casualty .. I am going to give The Event a shot .. at least they keep trying .. FF was quite compelling to me anyway during it's early episodes .. who knows .. ? There may be another X-Files waiting to happen ..

While I appreciated people's criticisms of FF (and shared some of the same), I found the gradual unspooling of the central mystery plenty compelling enough to keep watching. Would have liked to have seen the series go "forward" as I thought it was really trucking by the end.
post #59 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

C'mon guys, ease up! If this tanks you can kiss any more expensive, complex, serialized conspiracy thrillers on broadcast TV goodbye. In the drama category, it will be all cop/doc procedurals all the time; ugh. Is that what you want? Let's give it a chance, like we did for 'Flash Forward'.

Okay, maybe a bad example...

Here's the thing:

If the show isn't good, I'd rather something else that is good take its place, even if it's another procedural. Just because it's serialized, doesn't mean it's any better than "Law and Order: Hair Net Inspection Squad" or "CSI: Albuquerque".

The fact is, the fully serialized show has a high percentage of failure, and that only increases when the show sucks.

Honestly, I think a hybrid show has more potential: small plots that end each episode, with an overall continuing arc to give you a reason to tune in every week, kind of like The X-Files. The fact is, if too much of the show relies on prior knowledge, you're not going to pick up new viewers to replace those you always lose through attrition.

Now, if The Event is good, I'll stick with it, even if I get burned.
post #60 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

Here's the thing:

If the show isn't good, I'd rather something else that is good take its place, even if it's another procedural. Just because it's serialized, doesn't mean it's any better than "Law and Order: Hair Net Inspection Squad" or "CSI: Albuquerque".

I agree with that on principle, but the fact is that many really impressive and challenging serialized shows over the past decade have died a premature death because not enough people have enough patience to stick with them, and that number seems to dwindle every year. Every once in awhile somebody here makes a list, and it gets longer all the time.

And as you say, serialized dramas have a hard time picking up new viewers to replace those that drop out. And if they have sci-fi aspects in them, forget it, they're toast from the get-go. Only LOST bucked that trend for awhile because they did a good job of downplaying its sci-fi elements for the first few years. But that happens to be the genre I enjoy the most. There are plenty of rote procedurals for those that like that sort of thing, and most of them have some sort of continuing plotline that takes a backseat to the weekly contained story. I even watch one - 'Burn Notice', my "guilty pleasure". But any more and I feel like I'm wasting valuable time that could be better served doing something more productive.

I just wish there was more room on TV for the kind of programing that requires more thought, investment, and patience. Yes, we get a few from the cablenets, but broadcast TV is becoming more of a vast wasteland of by-the-book mediocrity every year. And if 'The Event' tanks, as many here expect it to, we won't see another like it for a very long time. And it won't matter how good it is. It never does.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'The Event' on NBC HD