or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Panasonic G25 Audio Processing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Panasonic G25 Audio Processing

post #1 of 3
Thread Starter 
Anyone out there with a G25 series plasma want to chime in on its ability to pass-through digital audio from HDMI sources (over either optical out or HDMI ARC)? In particular, support for AC3 (Dolby Digital) and DTS?

Mine doesn't seem to support AC3 (as pass-through or on the TV's speakers) and down-mixes DTS to stereo. I'm trying to determine if this is an extremely disappointing limitation of the model or if (as Panasonic tech support is vaguely claiming) my unit is defective.

It honestly never even occurred to me that an upper tier model wouldn't handle digital audio pass-through in the intuitive way...
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelliott View Post

Anyone out there with a G25 series plasma want to chime in on its ability to pass-through digital audio from HDMI sources (over either optical out or HDMI ARC)? In particular, support for AC3 (Dolby Digital) and DTS? Mine doesn't seem to support AC3 (as pass-through or on the TV's speakers) and down-mixes DTS to stereo.

AFAIK, virtually all current TVs will only output 2 channel stereo with HDMI and Component sources.


Quote:


I'm trying to determine if this is an extremely disappointing limitation of the model or if (as Panasonic tech support is vaguely claiming) my unit is defective.

Panasonic tech support doesn't seem to actually know anything about their TVs. The answers they give us AVS members are usually either lacking in knowledge or flat out wrong.


Quote:


It honestly never even occurred to me that an upper tier model wouldn't handle digital audio pass-through in the intuitive way...

I think it's a copyright protection thing.
post #3 of 3
I can tell you that it does have Audio Return Channel, so if you get a receiver with ARC then the HDMI out cable from the receiver will serve to send Audio back to the receiver for your Amazon/Netflix/Youtube, Vieracast apps .

Otherwise, i am on the dark here as well.
I have the 50GT25 myself with a Pioneer with ARC and some POLKs, works great.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Panasonic G25 Audio Processing