or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Vizio E470VL, E420VL, E550VL 120Hz 2010 Models
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Vizio E470VL, E420VL, E550VL 120Hz 2010 Models - Page 4

post #91 of 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by lascapa View Post

Hello everyone, I purchased a E420VL from Dell. Hooked it up a couple of days ago. I'm trying to brighten it up a little, my wife says it seems too dark. I'm not an expert at setting these tv's up so i'm hoping to get some help from this forum.

Also Charter cable came out Friday to upgrade my box to a hd box while I was at work. I noticed yesterday that the cable going from my box to my tv was just a black coaxial cable. I am trying to get them to supply me with a hdmi cable, I called them and she said he probalbly didn't have one on his truck. Do you think the picture would be better with a hdmi cable? Or is there much of a difference. I'm wondering if I should wait until I get a hdmi cable connected before I try to adjust the picture. Thanks

There will be a huge difference with HDMI. That is awful to hear they hooked it up like that.
post #92 of 451
I am going to stop by the local Charter cable store tomorrow after work to see if they will give me a hdmi cable. If not I will definitely go buy one.
post #93 of 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by lascapa View Post

Hello everyone, I purchased a E420VL from Dell. Hooked it up a couple of days ago. I'm trying to brighten it up a little, my wife says it seems too dark. I'm not an expert at setting these tv's up so i'm hoping to get some help from this forum.

Also Charter cable came out Friday to upgrade my box to a hd box while I was at work. I noticed yesterday that the cable going from my box to my tv was just a black coaxial cable. I am trying to get them to supply me with a hdmi cable, I called them and she said he probalbly didn't have one on his truck. Do you think the picture would be better with a hdmi cable? Or is there much of a difference. I'm wondering if I should wait until I get a hdmi cable connected before I try to adjust the picture. Thanks

Can you please tell me exactly how long it took for it to arrive? And is there a warranty that comes with it?
post #94 of 451
I ordered it on a Thursday and was delivered on Tuesday. I purshased the one year extended warranty for $49.95. They have free delivery and it was on sale for $609.00. They have a promotion, if you spent $699.00 or more no interest for six month's. My total with tax came to a little over $699. That's why I purchased the warranty, plus it's good to have.
post #95 of 451
Just ordered e420vl from Dell. I actually already bought a e421va from Costco for same price, but now will return.

After researching, here is story:
- e420va is a 60 hz machine that can be found sub 600 online
- e421va is a step up to 120 hz; found at Costco now
- e420vl is a step up with better contrast and pip/pop for about same price as e421va


So I am going with e420vl.

Hope this helps others decide,
post #96 of 451
I went by Charter cable after work and they gave me a HDMI cable. You were right Feddie there was a huge difference in the picture after hooking it up. For now I have it set on standard mode and the picture is excellent. Maybe later I will mess around with the settings, but for now it looks great! I am very pleased with this tv so far.
post #97 of 451
A quick question to anyone who has the E550VL. Do you know if it has discrete codes for 3rd party remote controls like the Harmony remote?

I have an older Vizio P50 and while it was a great value at the time, it lacked discrete codes for power and changing inputs. It drove me crazy with my Logitech Harmony remotes. Cycling power would shut the TV off because there was no discrete ON code. Arggghhh... trying to cycle the HDMI input might get you the Blu-Ray, or maybe it wouldn't. It depended on what the last HDMI input was. Like I said.... crazy.

I'm interested in the TV but only if I know I won't have that problem again.

Thanks in advance!
post #98 of 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNYC View Post

A quick question to anyone who has the E550VL. Do you know if it has discrete codes for 3rd party remote controls like the Harmony remote?

I have an older Vizio P50 and while it was a great value at the time, it lacked discrete codes for power and changing inputs. It drove me crazy with my Logitech Harmony remotes. Cycling power would shut the TV off because there was no discrete ON code. Arggghhh... trying to cycle the HDMI input might get you the Blu-Ray, or maybe it wouldn't. It depended on what the last HDMI input was. Like I said.... crazy.

I'm interested in the TV but only if I know I won't have that problem again.

Thanks in advance!

Here is the manual.
http://70.168.148.201/documents/down...nual_Final.pdf
Amost 6 Mb's

Also check here.
http://www.vizio.com/support/
click on view top FAQs.
post #99 of 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazypurgatory View Post

Here is the manual.
http://70.168.148.201/documents/down...nual_Final.pdf
Amost 6 Mb's

Yeah, unfortunately, the manual only talks about how you program their remote, nothing about how the TV works with other remotes. I checked the user guide earlier and if anything, there is the concern that the remote shows only one HDMI button and you have to cycle through the different HDMI inputs by pressing the same button. That would be bad if it requires the same interaction on a Harmony remote. But it also might be fine; it might simply be the way it works on the bundled remote and not on other remotes.

I guess the only way to know is to find out if anyone has used a Harmony remote with the E550VL. But thanks for the suggestion.

Anyone have a Harmony remote with this unit?
post #100 of 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveNYC View Post

Yeah, unfortunately, the manual only talks about how you program their remote, nothing about how the TV works with other remotes. I checked the user guide earlier and if anything, there is the concern that the remote shows only one HDMI button and you have to cycle through the different HDMI inputs by pressing the same button. That would be bad if it requires the same interaction on a Harmony remote. But it also might be fine; it might simply be the way it works on the bundled remote and not on other remotes.

I guess the only way to know is to find out if anyone has used a Harmony remote with the E550VL. But thanks for the suggestion.

Anyone have a Harmony remote with this unit?

Did you see this list?
Do VIZIO TVs support discrete remote codes?
Yes. The list of TVs below support discrete remote codes as of 7/7/2009:

20"
VX200E VX240M 26"
VL260M 32"
VW32L VO32LFHDTV10A VW32L HDTV40A VOJ320F1A VECO320L1A VO320E VL320M VOJ320M SV320XVT VOJ320F1A-C 37"
VO37L FHDTV10A VW37L HDTV40A VOJ370F1A VO370M VL370M VO37L FHDTV20A SV370XVT VO370M-C 42"
VW42L FHDTV10A VS420LF1A SV420XVT1A VO420E VL420M SV420M SV421XVT SV420M-C 46"
VW46L FHDTV20A 47"
VO47L FHDTV30A SV470XVT1A VL470M SV470M SV471XVT SV472XVT SV470M-C 55"
VF550XVT1A VF550M VF551XVT

Below are the discrete remote codes for the above supported TVs:

Code Protocol: NEC
Address Code: 04FB

Key Label
Code
Power OFF
25
Power ON
2A
Component 1*
71
Component 2*
72
Component 3*
73
Component 4*
74
HDMI 1*
81
HDMI 2*
82
HDMI 3*
83
HDMI 4*
84
HDMI 5*
85
HDMI 6*
86
HDMI 7*
87
HDMI 8*
88
RGB*
98
AV1*
A1
AV2*
A2
AV3*
A3
AV4*
A4
TV*
D6
Component (Toggle)*
5A
HDMI (Toggle)*
C6
AV (Toggle)*
51
MUTE ON#
20
MUTE OFF#
21
* = If such input exists. If only one input of that type exists, please use the toggle code. For example, for models with only 1 Component input please use component toggle instead.

# = Not available on all models
post #101 of 451
I suspect it is a big pain but I, and others, would hope someone with more TV smarts than me could post their settings for color, tint, contrast and etc. Have never seen so many adjustments on a TV. Have not played with them yet as Directv is due on Thursday to hook up this second, bedroom tv for HD. So I was waiting for that. Looking at Dish's (current provider) menu shows colors are off. e.g. Blues and yellows are washed out. Thanks in advance.
post #102 of 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Redfield View Post

The light up vizio logo in the front cannot be turned off and can be extremely annoying, especially in a darkened room. Make sure you have some electrical tape to put over it when you buy this tv.

Just purchased the Vizio E371VA 37-Inch from Costco and really like it, except for the logo light staying on all the time. This very annoying and yes I could tape the light over, but don't understand why Vizio created an energy vampire in the first place.
post #103 of 451
I just purchased a Vizio E470VL from Sam's and wasn't happy with the picture so did some checking on here. (I have a 37" Vizio I purchased almost two years ago that I have been very happy with). The info here helped alot to turn off the auto-dimming, but now I am noticing a slight flickering line across the top of the tv. Anybody know anything about that?
post #104 of 451
Is that line at the very top? I had that on some channels and went into settings to adjust the screen position. After that it went away.
post #105 of 451
Yes, at the very top - all the way across. So you say to adjust the screen position under setting? I will have to check into that. Thanks
post #106 of 451
Anybody want to comment on input lag besides me? I think there is definitely some lag even with HDMI, but I think I tend to be quite sensitive to it.
post #107 of 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwiggy View Post

I just purchased a Vizio E470VL from Sam's and wasn't happy with the picture so did some checking on here. (I have a 37" Vizio I purchased almost two years ago that I have been very happy with). The info here helped alot to turn off the auto-dimming, but now I am noticing a slight flickering line across the top of the tv. Anybody know anything about that?

It's funny as soon as I read you post I was watching a DVD and saw something like you were describing but on the bottom of the screen.
I just used the size & position under picture settings and it's all fixed.
I have found that when I did that and went back to watching cable tv that adjustment was only on the DVD and not the cable witch is very cool.
post #108 of 451
Well, I thought it would arrive today, since the estimated date was August 12th, but apparently that's only the date it arrives in my city. So they have to schedule a date for it to be delivered. Why didn't they tell me that??
post #109 of 451
I highly recommend turning off the auto dimming feature. I came very close to returning the 47inch model because it looked so dark. After turning off the auto dimming feature it looks great. I think it may be because my living room is generally dimmer by the tv. Regardless I found this dramatically improved my picture.
post #110 of 451
Just picked up an E470VL at Costco for $749.00 for my office. Fantastic price. Great TV/computer monitor.
post #111 of 451
Got an E550VL here. Ended up with it for well under 900 so take my observations with a grain of salt. I am willing to deal with a bit of imperfect for the price I paid. Although I have not found any significant issues so far.

Sometimes it seems a little washed out but that can be corrected by messing with the settings. The off angle is quite washed out. But I don't sit off angle to watch it, so not an issue for me.

I tossed in The Dark Night on BR and was very happy. Ran it though HTPC at 24 FPS with the smooth motion turned down low and it looked very nice. Much better than my HLM507W (bought here on a power buy 7 years or so ago) The hospital explosion was terrific. The black and gray smoke rising out of the explosion looked great.

So a note on power consumption. With out of the box settings this thing measures just 97 watts on kill-a-watt. And it looked fine at those settings. The old DLP was pulling between 200 and 250 and was 5" smaller. Note though this tv can pull over 300 watts if you crank up the backlight and brightness and disable all the power savings. It will burn your eyeballs at that point, bright rooms should not be an issue.

As far as the lit up vizio thing it is pretty easy to forget about so don't let that bug you. It is orange on mine when the TV is off.

As to judder issues I saw it when watching Gladiator in the early battle scene where they pan across trees (about 9 min in). I was able to eliminate by sending 24 FPS from the HTPC and reducing the setting for the smooth motion. May be other ways to get rid of it but that workd for me.

And the number one data point, my wife actually said "wow that looks better" when I first turned it on.
post #112 of 451
I have been looking for a new tv the past 2 weeks and i have it down to the Vizio E470VL and the Samsung LN46C530. I can get the vizio for $50 cheaper. Is this tv a good buy?

Ill be using it for alot of sports and movies and alot of gaming.
post #113 of 451
I think this set might have too much lag to be used for gaming.
post #114 of 451
Well, I finally got my E420VL today, and I have to say I am very pleased with it. I remembered about the auto dimming feature, and so I went into the menu and turned it off, and I was stunned (I have the picture set to "Vivid"). It's a big upgrade from a 32" LCD, and I feel like it practically burns my eyes. I fiddled with the "Smooth" feature, and I notice a lot of shudder if there's like a screen, or someone's hair. It's not as bad as it was on my old Samsung 32", but it's still there. I haven't tried it for gaming yet, so I wonder if I will notice lag. But overall it's a very good TV for a reasonable price.
post #115 of 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssetta View Post

Well, I finally got my E420VL today, and I have to say I am very pleased with it. I remembered about the auto dimming feature, and so I went into the menu and turned it off, and I was stunned (I have the picture set to "Vivid"). It's a big upgrade from a 32" LCD, and I feel like it practically burns my eyes. I fiddled with the "Smooth" feature, and I notice a lot of shudder if there's like a screen, or someone's hair. It's not as bad as it was on my old Samsung 32", but it's still there. I haven't tried it for gaming yet, so I wonder if I will notice lag. But overall it's a very good TV for a reasonable price.

Let us know how the lag is with gaming. Im really looking at this tv but i game alot and Chris said its got enough lag to not be worth it.
post #116 of 451
So I tried comparing input lag from a PC with a HDMI output to TV (E550VL) and VGA connection to an old viewsonic PF790.

Caveats:
HDMI vs VGA so any internal differences in the card (4550)could be adding to the delay
The monitor could do at best 1440X900 in clone mode so the TV was scaling

I was seeing anywhere from 60-100 ms lag using this page http://tft.vanity.dk/inputlag.html

I've read that other Vizio models run in the 50-60ms range my guess is that this TV should be similar with a better test setup. I also noticed that the processing being on or off made no real diffrence in the lag

With all that though COD Zombies on an Xbox is playable. Doesn't seem laggy but I play more of a strategy style than fast twich so I may not notice any issues.

I'm looking to try the 360 on the VGA input at some time.. need to get a cable.
post #117 of 451
Does anybody know if this line supports 1080p/24? How bout the E470VA? I'm guessing they don't but just wanted to get your thoughts.

Also, there's been a little bit of discussion about the E470VA in this thread if anybody's interested:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1270497
post #118 of 451
Boy I really hope there is no input lag. I bought this thing strictly for gaming, it is on it's way to my house right now. I hope one of you can get in and post gaming results. If this tv doesn't work out I'll be forced to buy the LED 47 offered by vizio
post #119 of 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizix View Post

Does anybody know if this line supports 1080p/24?

Yes it does 24 fps. With the cinema mode in smoth it interpolates all the frames in between real frames to make 5 frames for every one and in precision it makes 60 frames out of the 24 and then doubles the 60 to 120. Or at least that is what I dug up on these forums.
post #120 of 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericdvd View Post

Yes it does 24 fps. With the cinema mode in smoth it interpolates all the frames in between real frames to make 5 frames for every one and in precision it makes 60 frames out fo the 24 and then doubles the 60 to 120. Or at least that is what I dug up on these forums.

Very helpful, thanks!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Vizio E470VL, E420VL, E550VL 120Hz 2010 Models