or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Content › Comcast 3D topic
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Comcast 3D topic - Page 24

post #691 of 734
Movie trailers were the best part. The Underworld movie in particular. Fascinating since I was under the impression that series was dead in the water.
post #692 of 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post

Movie trailers were the best part. The Underworld movie in particular. Fascinating since I was under the impression that series was dead in the water.

Ha - I totally agree - trailers were definitely the best part. Not only the most entertaining, but the quality of the HD and 3D looked better than the game itself.
post #693 of 734
Some of the basketball and golf footage looked good too, especially the behind the basket shots and the one of Tiger walking the Hogan bridge which showed a lot of depth and some pop. I can see watching a round of the Masters in 3D. Basketball has been hit or miss.
post #694 of 734
What resolution is Comcast broadcasting in for the top/bottom 3D programming located in the free section of In Demand? thx
post #695 of 734
The 3D content in OnDemand can vary from 720p60 to 1080p24. Most is 1080i60.
post #696 of 734
my receiver upscales it all to 1080p/60...it will do 24, but it's sometimes jittery
post #697 of 734
I'm not certain how resolution scaling affects the stereography. Keen to hear others experiences or opinions.
post #698 of 734
Thanks, it looks like my new projector doesn't do top/bottom for 1080i/60,50 so I have to drop the HDMI output down to 720P to view these shows.
post #699 of 734
"Transformers" looked great. I was expecting a lot of tiling, but it didn't happen at all.
post #700 of 734
Looks great.
post #701 of 734
Here is Western Kentucky we still don't have any live 3d channels despite our system being all digital. We have OnDemand 3d content, but no live channels. Any body know when Comcast plans to complete their rollout of ESPN3D?

Tired of getting channels 3 years behind everyone else...
post #702 of 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by djamyx View Post

Here is Western Kentucky we still don't have any live 3d channels despite our system being all digital. We have OnDemand 3d content, but no live channels. Any body know when Comcast plans to complete their rollout of ESPN3D?

Tired of getting channels 3 years behind everyone else...

You're not missing much. The 3d channels are basically just looping the content that's ondemand with the occasional live event on espn.
post #703 of 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajibo View Post

You're not missing much. The 3d channels are basically just looping the content that's ondemand with the occasional live event on espn.

Exactly though...I'm a huge fan of Kentucky Basketball...and our games have been broadcast in 3d live. Frustrating to watch the game, then have to go back a few days later to watch it in 3D. Not as impressive when showing it off to my dad.

I'm also really hoping to watch the Masters live in 3D--but its not looking very pretty at this point...
post #704 of 734
I have noticed that Comcast 3D channel is broadcast at 1080i but in SideBySide (SBS) mode. However, the 3D footage is only 720p. As a result it looks awful.

Watching the same show via the ONDEMAND menu ... looks much better (assuming the cable box is set for NATIVE ... i.e. no upconversion). That is because its sent in TopBottom 720p mode.

The ESPN3D channel looks great because it is broadcast in 720p TB (I do not upconvert the signal to 1080i on the cable box).

HBO 3D and STARZ 3D ONDEMAND is in 1080i SBS ... and they look very good.

So its not a problem with my TV or my cable box. Its the way COMCAST sends out the signal.
post #705 of 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by umenon View Post

I have noticed that Comcast 3D channel is broadcast at 1080i but in SideBySide (SBS) mode. However, the 3D footage is only 720p. As a result it looks awful.

Watching the same show via the ONDEMAND menu ... looks much better (assuming the cable box is set for NATIVE ... i.e. no upconversion). That is because its sent in TopBottom 720p mode.

The ESPN3D channel looks great because it is broadcast in 720p TB (I do not upconvert the signal to 1080i on the cable box).

HBO 3D and STARZ 3D ONDEMAND is in 1080i SBS ... and they look very good.

So its not a problem with my TV or my cable box. Its the way COMCAST sends out the signal.

I just responded to your post over in the 3D Tech forum...both channels look great here in downtown Fort Lauderdale FL, so I'm curious as to where you are and what equipment you're using.
post #706 of 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post

I just responded to your post over in the 3D Tech forum...both channels look great here in downtown Fort Lauderdale FL, so I'm curious as to where you are and what equipment you're using.

Here in Atlanta, at least on my system - ESPN 3d looks terrible. The resolution is horrid. Some of the IMAX On Demand stuff is actually pretty good as far as the 3d effect, but not nearly anywhere as sharp as a 3d bluray.
post #707 of 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post

Here in Atlanta, at least on my system - ESPN 3d looks terrible. The resolution is horrid. Some of the IMAX On Demand stuff is actually pretty good as far as the 3d effect, but not nearly anywhere as sharp as a 3d bluray.

I have posted my response in the 3D Tech forum thread ...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post21847061
post #708 of 734
ESPN 3D, The Masters. Yeah baby!!!!!!

Thanks ComCast, finally.....
post #709 of 734
I currently have xfinity with the RNG110 converter. The other day I noticed the yellow DATA LED came on for a couple of days and now it has turned off. I haven't noticed any change in performance, but wonder if any of you know why it could have come on and then off. I don't have Comcast internet or their phone service. Any ideas ?? Thanks
post #710 of 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks2 View Post

I currently have xfinity with the RNG110 converter. The other day I noticed the yellow DATA LED came on for a couple of days and now it has turned off. I haven't noticed any change in performance, but wonder if any of you know why it could have come on and then off. I don't have Comcast internet or their phone service. Any ideas ?? Thanks

Data usually means there is a message not an update
post #711 of 734
Thanks Ophion75. That sounds reasonable. How do I access the message ?? I ran through the remote buttons and various screens and couldn't locate a message screen. Any idea where it's located ?? Thanks
post #712 of 734
I've got a 3D newbie question and nobody at Comcast has been able to answer it. I just bought a sony xbr-65hx929 and of course it uses the frame-packed method of displaying 3D. Looks great, but when I try to use it with the Comcast 3501 box I'm only getting either SbS or TnB, depending upon the source (HBO is SbS, some others are TnB). Am I completely SOL with Comcast 3D or is there a way to receive a frame-packed broadcast on that box? I'm assuming that there's no way to interpret a non-frame-packed signal on my sony.

(thanks)

-g
post #713 of 734
3D content broadcast by Comcast is always either SbS or Top/Bottom. Some content is 720p, and some is available in 1080p, but I have never seen any 3D titles in the frame-packed format.
post #714 of 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Yost View Post

I've got a 3D newbie question and nobody at Comcast has been able to answer it. I just bought a sony xbr-65hx929 and of course it uses the frame-packed method of displaying 3D. Looks great, but when I try to use it with the Comcast 3501 box I'm only getting either SbS or TnB, depending upon the source (HBO is SbS, some others are TnB). Am I completely SOL with Comcast 3D or is there a way to receive a frame-packed broadcast on that box? I'm assuming that there's no way to interpret a non-frame-packed signal on my sony.
(thanks)
-g

Cable / Satellite have very limited bandwidth. Frame packing takes up twice the bandwidth. Not going to happen (read: do they really care about offering the best quality of HD?).

Read this for more info:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20063310-1/how-3d-content-works-blu-ray-vs-broadcast/
post #715 of 734
The video decoders within the ASICs in current STBs are not capable of handling the higher than HD resolution of frame packed 3D content. Additionally, no broadcast standards exist for transmission of Full-HD 3D. This is changing as silicon evolves and standards emerge. The choice of TnB for sports was meant to preserve the best ability to render motion in 3D, while SbS was selected for movies and drama to preserve clarity.
post #716 of 734
Did you ever resolve this? I am having a similar struggle with my TiVo HD, Comcast, and new Samsung TV.

Thanks, Jeff
post #717 of 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteres View Post

Did you ever resolve this? I am having a similar struggle with my TiVo HD, Comcast, and new Samsung TV.
Thanks, Jeff
I have an HDTIvo & comcast and have no problems watching any 3D station (though I'm using a Sony HW30 projector though I could watch all 3D stations on my Mitsubishi DLP TV.
post #718 of 734
The Comcast 3D Channel has begun airing content from 3Net. Documentaries on various topics, all in 1080i SBS format...total eye candy!
post #719 of 734
the only 3d content I get from Comcast is on demand

had to watch the Super Bowl OTA the motion blur was so bad on Comcast mad.gif
post #720 of 734
What cable box do you have? I have a DCH3416 and I'm pretty sure it won't do the 3D in the best quality, I just got it activated so I will go home and find out.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: 3D Content
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Content › Comcast 3D topic