or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony KDL-xxHX800 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Sony KDL-xxHX800 Owners Thread - Page 4

post #91 of 2600
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigprime View Post

Can anyone suggest a good calibration disk? I had thought about ISF calibration, but $300 is a bit steep. If anyone has had their HX800 ISF calibrated or used a calibration disk, then would you be so kind as to share your settings.

You can use tha AVS HD 709 free disk to calibrate your set

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496
post #92 of 2600
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoguy View Post

Quick question for owners,

How do you get the free blu rays and downloadable PS3 games. Is there a coupon or something? We can't find anything in the box.

Thanks,

There are two cards in the baggie with the manual. One has a scratch off code for the downloadable games. The other card tells you to register online for your two movies.
post #93 of 2600
Quote:
Originally Posted by bontrager View Post

OK, finally got to set up this 55" Sony 3D TV.

I have the transmitter located at the bottom of the set on the base which is about 27" off the ground. I have the transmitter knob set at it highest position. I am watching the Avatar dvd from 4 ' away from the screen to get the most immersion.

So for I have not noticed an cloudiness/ banding or flickering with the 3D Glasses.

I have just watched Avatar converted from 2D to 3D. Inside the 3D menu you have an option of setting the converted depth and I tried both the medium and high settings.

First of all I have not noticed any flickering of the image in my light controlled room.

Elated to say that ghosting is a non issue but did notice it on the text in the 3D menu after conversion but not on any text in the movie. The non 3D DVD had depth but I didn't not notice any projected images into the room.

So far based on my viewing of the Samsung LED/Plasmas and the Panasonic Plasmas the Sony has displayed the BRIGHTNESS 3D image that I have witnessed. I also feel that the 3D glasses are the most comfortable vs the Samsung or Panasonic.
I have downloaded the four 3D games from Sony on my PS3 and will try them later this evening.


I have not made any changes to any of the pictures setting so I am watching it as delivered right out of the box. Tomorrow I will record and watch a Soccer match in 3D and report my humble findings.

I have registered the set online and now wait delivery for Cloudy w/ meatballs and the IMAX #D underwater adventure. Since I am not sure how long this will take to receive and in the interest in watching a true 3D movie I will order the 3D " Cloudy" from Amazon.com on it's scheduled release date of June 22. Will have to buy a 3D DVD player also. Probably go with the Panasonic because don't want to wait for Sony firmware update for the PS# or their new 3D ready dvd players. The update is scheduled for sometime in July.

Congrats on your purchase. Care to post some pics of your new toy in action when you have the chance?
post #94 of 2600
^ Yeah some pics would be great...
post #95 of 2600
I'm looking forward to your opinion of the 3D quality while viewing the soccer games. This afternoon I visited the Sony Style store in Palo Alto CA to see the new HX-800s hoping that the 3D quality would be far superior to their past 3D demo display. I felt the old demo set was plagued with crosstalk. Today at the store they had the 3D feed of the soccer game on and unfortunately there was still way to much crosstalk in the image for my taste. For instance the markings on the field always were showing a soft double image. (Yes, the glasses were on) I was very disappointed as the 3D performance didn't seem that much improved from the old post CES demo. Also, the screen seemed super reflective compared to other nearby sets. How reflective is it?

I've watched quite a bit of the 2D to 3D conversions on the Samsung and note that this does not offset the images a whole lot so there is very little crosstalk viewable. It's the native 3D that is the real test of crosstalk on these new sets. Hope you enjoy your new set!
post #96 of 2600
Quote:
Originally Posted by bontrager View Post

I have registered the set online and now wait delivery for Cloudy w/ meatballs and the IMAX #D underwater adventure. Since I am not sure how long this will take to receive and in the interest in watching a true 3D movie I will order the 3D " Cloudy" from Amazon.com on it's scheduled release date of June 22. Will have to buy a 3D DVD player also. Probably go with the Panasonic because don't want to wait for Sony firmware update for the PS# or their new 3D ready dvd players. The update is scheduled for sometime in July.

Sony's 3D Blu Ray players (not DVD as you keep calling it) got their firmware for 3D on June 9th/10th. PS3 is still set for Fall is what they announced.
post #97 of 2600
Sigprime, just curious as to why you got the hx800 tv rather than waiting and going for the hx900 series? I'm sure price had a lot to do with it but I'm not sure which way to go myself. Your HX800 set sounds great but would pq be that much better on the 900 series and worth the wait?? Thanks for your time, Ken.
post #98 of 2600
I saw the 55" in action today at the Sony Store. It's beautiful. Even the TV itself looks great. Sigprime chose wisely, I feel. The extra 3" counts. Ask your wives/girlfriends!

Of course, when the HX900 comes out, it could excel in picture quality, but as it stands, the HX800 is amazing in it's own right. And I want it now! Don't care how.
post #99 of 2600
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz5 View Post

Sigprime, just curious as to why you got the hx800 tv rather than waiting and going for the hx900 series? I'm sure price had a lot to do with it but I'm not sure which way to go myself. Your HX800 set sounds great but would pq be that much better on the 900 series and worth the wait?? Thanks for your time, Ken.

There are a few reasons why I chose the 800 over the 900. The 900 wasn't out yet, and I wanted a new set now. I also don't think I could justify another $1500 in cost regardless of performance. The 900 prototype was on display at the Sony store and didn't look that impressive to me. The sales staff and I agreed that 800 looked better as of now. Of course the 900 could go through some fine tuning and come out on top when it's released. I still doubt it would be $1.5K better, but that is subjective.
post #100 of 2600
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTraveler View Post

ABT now has both the 46HX800 and 55HX800 in stock.

So does Amazon.
post #101 of 2600
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigprime View Post

The 900 prototype was on display at the Sony store and didn't look that impressive to me.

HX or LX? Huge difference between the two.
post #102 of 2600
Reading the HX800 announcement at flatpanelshd and following their links, the HX800 is selling for an incredibly competitive price. Apart from the missing 3D transmitter, the 55" matches up very well against the Samsung C8000 and it's less expensive. Add in the 3D transmitter, and it's still less expensive. Kudos to Sony.
post #103 of 2600
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigprime View Post

There are a few reasons why I chose the 800 over the 900. The 900 wasn't out yet, and I wanted a new set now. I also don't think I could justify another $1500 in cost regardless of performance. The 900 prototype was on display at the Sony store and didn't look that impressive to me. The sales staff and I agreed that 800 looked better as of now. Of course the 900 could go through some fine tuning and come out on top when it's released. I still doubt it would be $1.5K better, but that is subjective.

Thanks sigprime for the honest answer. Makes sense and I absolutely agree that the extra $1,500 for the hx900 set would probably not give you that much better pq over the hx800 that a person could truly see. As you say however, that is subjective. Thanks again
post #104 of 2600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew67 View Post

HX or LX? Huge difference between the two.

Should be the LX, all Sony Style stores received a LX prototype/engineering models after the announcement at CES.
post #105 of 2600
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackkeys View Post

Sony's 3D Blu Ray players (not DVD as you keep calling it) got their firmware for 3D on June 9th/10th. PS3 is still set for Fall is what they announced.

O.K just purchased the 3D Sony "Blu Ray" (excuse me, lol) model #BDP-S470 for $179.00, didn't want to wait for the PS3 3D dvd firmware upgrade, and the 3D version of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.

I must inform you that the 3D picture is amazing, NO ghosting, and considerably better than the 60" pre production hx900 that I demoed 6 weeks ago.

There is not any LED bleed or cloudiness at any room lighting condition.

Also watched the 3D version of the PS3 game, Wipeout 3D, and 3D picture must be seen to appreciated.

Likewise with the 2D to 3D conversion of the PS3 game "Uncharted2 (Among Thieves) is also excellent, just not the 3D pop experienced with true 3D games. It would be difficult to now play either of these game in their original 2D format.

All of the programs viewing has been done with the original TV factory settings.

My only complaint is that I wish that the 3D versions of movies of this type (Cloudy and M vs. A) where not letter boxed so as to enjoy full screen viewing.

Hope you get a chance to view/demo any of the Sony 3D TV's.
post #106 of 2600
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew67 View Post

HX or LX? Huge difference between the two.

As far as Sony's 3D lineup goes, I believe there is a HX800, HX909, and LX900. Unless I'm missing something there is only one 900 model, and the prototype did not appear to be backlit led like the 909. I would expect the 909 to look better, but I'm personally not willing to pay $4K for a 52 inch.
post #107 of 2600
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigprime View Post

Unless I'm missing something there is only one 900 model

As the HX was originally a 900, many people here still refer to it as a 900 which is why I asked. I would never have thought that the LX900 would compete with the HX800 as the 800 has local dimming and the LX900 does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigprime View Post

I would expect the 909 to look better, but I'm personally not willing to pay $4K for a 52 inch.

It's only that much at SonyStyle. On the open market it's less than what you paid for the 800, but as you wrote, you wanted a tv now and not later.
post #108 of 2600
Quote:
Originally Posted by bontrager View Post

O.K just purchased the 3D Sony "Blu Ray" (excuse me, lol) model #BDP-S470 for $179.00, didn't want to wait for the PS3 3D dvd firmware upgrade, and the 3D version of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.

I must inform you that the 3D picture is amazing, NO ghosting, and considerably better than the 60" pre production hx900 that I demoed 6 weeks ago.

There is not any LED bleed or cloudiness at any room lighting condition.

Also watched the 3D version of the PS3 game, Wipeout 3D, and 3D picture must be seen to appreciated.

Likewise with the 2D to 3D conversion of the PS3 game "Uncharted2 (Among Thieves) is also excellent, just not the 3D pop experienced with true 3D games. It would be difficult to now play either of these game in their original 2D format.

All of the programs viewing has been done with the original TV factory settings.

My only complaint is that I wish that the 3D versions of movies of this type (Cloudy and M vs. A) where not letter boxed so as to enjoy full screen viewing.

Hope you get a chance to view/demo any of the Sony 3D TV's.

Glad you are enjoying Cloudy, I agree the games look awesome! Even the 2D to 3D conversion of the games is surprisingly good that I tried at the Sony store.
I agree with the aspect ratio somewhat with the movies but I am all in favor of keeping the intended viewing that the director intended.
post #109 of 2600
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew67 View Post

As the HX was originally a 900, many people here still refer to it as a 900 which is why I asked. I would never have thought that the LX900 would compete with the HX800 as the 800 has local dimming and the LX900 does not.

It's only that much at SonyStyle. On the open market it's less than what you paid for the 800, but as you wrote, you wanted a tv now and not later.

Out of curiosity who is selling the 52 inch HX909 for less than $3.4K?
post #110 of 2600
FYI, BrandsMart is now carrying the HX800. Must be in stock as you can add it to the shopping cart.
post #111 of 2600
If anyone can obtain quantitative input lag results, I would be much appreciated. This could be a deciding factor between this and the HX909 when it comes out.
post #112 of 2600
This thread is cruelty missing pictures....
post #113 of 2600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Cloud View Post

If anyone can obtain quantitative input lag results, I would be much appreciated. This could be a deciding factor between this and the HX909 when it comes out.

I would also REALLY appreciate this as I'm sure many others would as well... In fact I'm very interested in any new 3D Sony tv with low input lag if anyone knows of one.
post #114 of 2600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibs View Post

This thread is cruelty missing pictures....

first page is full of pictures
post #115 of 2600
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxrando View Post

first page is full of pictures

Which is not enough. We don't even have a picture that would show us the panel from the side.

I'm also interested in the report that one of the review on the internet that mentionned that the view angle on this TV were bad.
post #116 of 2600
I'd expect both to have similar input lag in game mode, as that would defeat the local dimming, making each TV effectively the same from a processing point of view. I don't see any extra features in the 909 to suggest otherwise
post #117 of 2600
I hope to see more pictures, I made some questions ( I edit my questions if some OWNER can responde please, thanks):

The set have PIP, you can see 2 channels, or only one air and the other HDMI, Component, etc?
What do you think about the sound?
What do you think about the blacks?
post #118 of 2600
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryMX View Post

I hope to see more pictures, I made some questions:

How do you connect the 3D transmitter?
How many usb ports the tv have?
Because if this is via USB and you only have one, then where do you connect the wi-fi?
The set have PIP?
What do you think about the sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibs View Post

Which is not enough. We don't even have a picture that would show us the panel from the side.

There are pictures on SonyStyle, more with the Televisioninfo.com review. SonyStyle lists specs, even has a downloadable manual. These details aren't exactly hard to find.
post #119 of 2600
Could someone compare the 2D quality of EX700 and HX800?
I am interrested in the black level and contrast. Thanks
post #120 of 2600
Decisions decisions. Best Buy dropped the price by $300 bucks this week (maybe it's for longer) but the 60LX900 is also coming out this week... with a $2000 higher price tag. sigprime really seems to be digging his TV, but I like the whole built-in 3D and WiFi rather than that stupid 3D bar I have to buy in addition to. The 60 also has that sensor presence thing.

Sony's site says the 60 is Edge backlit but calls the 55 Dynamic Edge backlit. Anyone know if that means anything or if it's just an extra word?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official Sony KDL-xxHX800 Owners Thread