or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › "Covert Affairs" on USA HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Covert Affairs" on USA HD - Page 9

post #241 of 375
I hated this episode! I liked the Simon character and Sarah Clarke is great as the other department head. To make her the "mole" is a real leap and then to have her shoot both Simon and Annie - oh come on!eek.gif
post #242 of 375
That was a twist I did not expect. Not sure which direction they will go now, curious to find out.
post #243 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltownsend View Post

I hated this episode! I liked the Simon character and Sarah Clarke is great as the other department head. To make her the "mole" is a real leap and then to have her shoot both Simon and Annie - oh come on!eek.gif

I was expecting it. After all, she had a similar role on "24."
post #244 of 375
I was expecting her to be a mole.... not necessarily "the" mole, but certainly a mole.

I've also suspected that maybe Simon was only an assassin for hire when it came to killing rogue agents... IF Jay is really dead, then I suspect she had him killed because he was getting close to exposing her.

I was NOT surprised she was going to smear Annie... that was also expected. What did surprise me was the surprise show-up-and-shoot at the end. Of course Annie isn't dead because that would be the show... but I wonder if Simon is also dead... and why she wouldn't just put a couple of bullets in each of their heads while they are on the ground to be sure.. she can't want Annie to recover and identify her.
post #245 of 375
They show her checking Simon's pulse so pretty sure he's a goner.
post #246 of 375
Nice twist at the end. Simon served his purpose by making Annie question her commitment to the CIA. I wish this was the mid-season cliff hanger instead of having another episode next week.
post #247 of 375
The twist with Sarah Clarke was right out of early 24....
post #248 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lucca View Post

The twist with Sarah Clarke was right out of early 24....

You beat me to it. Sarah Clark's role as the treacherous Agent Nina Myers on 24 came to my mind too. Like others, I can't imagine why Lena would not make sure that Annie was dead after shooting her twice in the chest. The chances are that Simon is dead but this being TV we can never know. It makes the most sense to write him out of the show, it seems to me, because his love affair with Annie had "Doomed!" written all over it. Their relationship reminded me of Alma Garrett and Seth Bullock's love affair in Deadwood. There, Alma, realizing what the rest of us had already seen, that the relationship had to end badly, explained why she could not leave with Seth this way:
Quote:
We do love each other. Our being together ought not to seem so outlandish a proposition…except for every other single thing.

Annie's love affair with Simon has had sadness and portents of tragedy about it from the beginning. Thus, I thought the episode ending with Simon's death (maybe) and Annie's grievous wounding fit perfectly. For that reason if no other, I hope the showrunners keep their nerve and let poor Simon die in peace.smile.gif
post #249 of 375
I loved watching the old Nina at work brought back great memories of 24
post #250 of 375

It's also possible that Arthur ordered the hit on Simon and Anne and had Sarah do it.  I'd agree that Sarah is probably the mole but you never know.  It was a twist I didn't see coming and that rarely happens these days when you know who the killer is in the first 10 minutes of a CSI type show.

post #251 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87 View Post

It's also possible that Arthur ordered the hit on Simon and Anne and had Sarah do it.  I'd agree that Sarah is probably the mole but you never know.  It was a twist I didn't see coming and that rarely happens these days when you know who the killer is in the first 10 minutes of a CSI type show.

Agreed! She walked into Arthur's office and said we have a problem with Annie. The next scene is her shooting Simon and Annie. If Sarah is just rehashing her role from 24, then I may have to bow out.
post #252 of 375
wtf, why would lena try to kill annie a hospital where she was guarded 24/7? what was her escape plan? of course she was going to be spotted.
post #253 of 375
I think Piper Perabo and Christopher Gorham have been excellent in the last few episodes. I wish the show runners had gone ahead and given Auggie back his eyesight when they opened the door to that possibility some episodes back. They always have to try to write around the blindness, and it doesn't play out very well for the storytelling. For me, the most glaring inconsistency in this episode was that Auggie realized Lena was the bad guy, but left her in the hospital to finish Annie off, as he rushed back to headquarters to report to Joan. Not very smart - and by that I mean the writing.
post #254 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeykid View Post

wtf, why would lena try to kill annie a hospital where she was guarded 24/7? what was her escape plan? of course she was going to be spotted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

...For me, the most glaring inconsistency in this episode was that Auggie realized Lena was the bad guy, but left her in the hospital to finish Annie off, as he rushed back to headquarters to report to Joan. Not very smart - and by that I mean the writing.

I agree, it was colossally stupid for Lena to attampt to kill Annie in the hospital. Even Auggie didn't expect that she would be so stupid, or he wouldn't have left her there to finishe Annie off. After (mentally) defending Lena's actions of last week, what she did this week was indefensible. If she was trying to maintain her cover by doing the wet work herself, she sure blew it up this week. Why didn't she just put poison in Annie's IV rather than try to suffocate her? confused.gifrolleyes.gif

If people keep killing the good cobblers to cover their path, who will be left to make really good fake identities next time? biggrin.gif
post #255 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

I think Piper Perabo and Christopher Gorham have been excellent in the last few episodes. I wish the show runners had gone ahead and given Auggie back his eyesight when they opened the door to that possibility some episodes back. They always have to try to write around the blindness, and it doesn't play out very well for the storytelling. For me, the most glaring inconsistency in this episode was that Auggie realized Lena was the bad guy, but left her in the hospital to finish Annie off, as he rushed back to headquarters to report to Joan. Not very smart - and by that I mean the writing.

+1 - Augie needs to get his vision back and kick some baddies asses!
post #256 of 375
Actually... I sincerely hope they do NOT "cure" his blindness. Besides the slap in the face that would be to blind people who are fans of the show... his character was created to be a blinded-by-combat agent. Giving him back his eyesight turns him into generic handsome agent guy... and they have had several of those on the show already.

It would be one thing if Augie started out as a seeing character, then was blinded by something on the show... then it would be ok if they cured him to return to status quo... but since we came into the show with him blind, I think it serves the realism to keep him that way. Most blind people aren't going to have a chance at a miracle cure in the real world, and even if they do most will not get their sight back with the administering of that miracle cure... so I think they way they handled that bit was fine and should be the end of that storyline.
post #257 of 375
If next weeks episode doesn't start with "9 months later" at the bottom of the screen...

Seriously, she was shot through her left Ventricle... recovery and rehab should put her out a full year from a desk job, let alone CIA field work.

The sad thing is the production team doesn't believe the American Television Viewer has enough intelligence to allow a story line to play out. Annie goes from flipped spy to vindication in the course of a half hour. End the season with her in the hospital, will she live, will she die, will she be exonerated. That's the only reason she was attacked in the hospital. We post asking what was she thinking, well, the character was simply reading from the script. Her attacking attempting to finish off Annie in the hospital with all those witnesses is the cleanest way to re-instate Annie and prove beyond any doubt who the bad-guy was here. Otherwise we spend an entire mini-season (think Burn Notice) trying to prove who did what and why. Here, it's all neat and tidy and put in a package with a bow. The producers give us viewers no credit whatsoever.

Caleb
post #258 of 375
Ordinarily I have almost limitless capacity to suspend disbelief but this week's Covert Affairs nearly exhausted it. As others have said, from the moment Auggie identified Lena as the shooter in Annie's house he should have made immediate arrangements for guards to be posted near Annie at all times. Also, when Lena saw that Auggie had discovered the passport forger's body while she was holding a gun in her hand why didn't she kill Auggie too? After all, she already had to dispose of one body so how much extra trouble would it have been to dispose of two? There were several other howlers in this week's episode, some of which have already been mentioned, so I won't go on. I still love the luscious, elegant Piper Perabo as Annie but this week's show strained my patience to the breaking point.
post #259 of 375
I couldn't agree more. I was hoping that they would let the character of Lena develop into a mentor of sorts for Annie. Let her develop into a super spy and do more daring things than her current handler lets her do.
post #260 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Ordinarily I have almost limitless capacity to suspend disbelief but this week's Covert Affairs nearly exhausted it. As others have said, from the moment Auggie identified Lena as the shooter in Annie's house he should have made immediate arrangements for guards to be posted near Annie at all times.

There was at least one guard there the whole time ... albeit a completely useless redshirt.
post #261 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

There was at least one guard there the whole time ... albeit a completely useless redshirt.

Yeah, Lena proved that the version of a rent-a-cop in the hospital was not enough, to say the least. The CIA needed to have armed operators or police officers guarding Annie to guarantee her safety.
post #262 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Actually... I sincerely hope they do NOT "cure" his blindness. Besides the slap in the face that would be to blind people who are fans of the show... his character was created to be a blinded-by-combat agent. Giving him back his eyesight turns him into generic handsome agent guy... and they have had several of those on the show already.
It would be one thing if Augie started out as a seeing character, then was blinded by something on the show... then it would be ok if they cured him to return to status quo... but since we came into the show with him blind, I think it serves the realism to keep him that way. Most blind people aren't going to have a chance at a miracle cure in the real world, and even if they do most will not get their sight back with the administering of that miracle cure... so I think they way they handled that bit was fine and should be the end of that storyline.

I respect that opinion, but I've never thought of Auggie as representing the blind. I see his blindness more as a device that doesn't work very well most of the time. It prevents a talented actor from bringing more to the show. I think the chemistry between Auggie and Annie may be the best thing about the series, but there just isn't enough of it. The writers try, but the ways they come up with to involve Christopher Gorham are some of the most unrealistic I've seen in series television. And I still think they'll return his vision, if the show lasts long enough.
post #263 of 375
Overall I enjoyed the last episode- the dream sequences were unexpected.... especially liked the one where Annie (in a red gown) and Auggie are are dancing- she takes the door access card from his pocket- pirouettes around- looks straight into the camera- smiles- and swipes the access card... straight from the opening credits! I re-ran that scene a few times... liked it- too bad they didn't have the theme music running in the background.
post #264 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Oespecially liked the one where Annie (in a red gown) and Auggie are are dancing- she takes the door access card from his pocket- pirouettes around- looks straight into the camera- smiles- and swipes the access card... straight from the opening credits! I re-ran that scene a few times... liked it- too bad they didn't have the theme music running in the background.

Wow. My wife and I rolled our eyes and thought that was super cheesy. Especially since we both think it is one of the worst designed opening credits we've ever seen. Horribly horribly executed at a technical level. So why pay homage to it?

To put it in perspective, my daughter and I saw almost the exact same gag on 'Phineas and Ferb', recreating the nanobots shot from their title sequence in the middle of an episode. Except at least they had the good sense to have one of the characters say something to the effect of 'yeah, yeah, title sequence, big deal'. I'd like to think that Covert Affairs is a little more smartly written and directed than a Disney kids show.
Edited by vfxproducer - 9/14/12 at 10:31am
post #265 of 375
I love the opening credits of Covert Affairs. I know they're cheesy and incredibly crude by today's standards, and as a Video FX creator, you must cringe when you see them. But the clunky look and feel (along with the music - which is just as cheesy) is what I like. They're kinda representative of the show as a whole. Nothing quite works, but that doesn't keep me from liking it.

Can't help myself, and not ashamed of it. biggrin.gif
post #266 of 375
Now that I think of it... given the damage the Doctor made it sound like was done to Annie and in particular her heart by the gunshot... doesn't it seem like her being attacked like that ought to have sprung some stitches or something inside? I know they aren't going to kill her off unless the show is canceled, but not only should she not be back at work next week she kinda oughtta be in worse shape in the hospital to boot!
post #267 of 375
Glad to see Annie didn't wimp out! Great summer finale.
post #268 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltownsend View Post

Glad to see Annie didn't wimp out! Great summer finale.

With only a 4-week hiatus, I don't think of it as a "finale."
post #269 of 375
I thought it was kind of a waste of a character. This show does not really handle the conspiracy angle all that well, but I thought they could have strung this story arc out a little more. The show could have used a decent recurring villain even if I think the show is better when they focus on one and done missions.
post #270 of 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltownsend View Post

Glad to see Annie didn't wimp out! Great summer finale.
Agreed!
Nice to see Piper do some serious/angry/moody stuff- we know she can do cute/funny- but I enjoy her more with the serious content.
I hope they keep the mood a little darker going forward- time to shelf the ice cream and cookies!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › "Covert Affairs" on USA HD