or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD *** WARNING - Spoilers allowed ***
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD *** WARNING - Spoilers allowed *** - Page 2

post #31 of 1679
Thread Starter 
Meh. I'll read them all when he's finished or dead, whichever comes first (I expect the later and not the former).
post #32 of 1679
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Meh. I'll read them all when he's finished or dead, whichever comes first (I expect the later and not the former).

Meh..I doubt if I'll read them at all. The guy really needs an editor with a machete.
post #33 of 1679
Martin caught the attention of Taiwan's Next Media.

If you've heard of that news media company you should know what to expect next.

post #34 of 1679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Meh..I doubt if I'll read them at all. The guy really needs an editor with a machete.

Darn that George RR Martin! First, he writes "doorstopper" books with far too many characters, events, and pages ... then he takes way too long to finish the next book so I can complain about it
post #35 of 1679
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Martin caught the attention of Taiwan's Next Media.

If you've heard of that news media company you should know what to expect next.

(off-topic) OK, I'm convinced - Next Media should produce a feature-length animated film (their choice of subject), keeping the style shown in your link.
post #36 of 1679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic icons View Post

(off-topic) OK, I'm convinced - Next Media should produce a feature-length animated film (their choice of subject), keeping the style shown in your link.

Well, there's this:

Quote:


Taiwanese animation group Next Media Animation (NMA) just signed a five year deal with Spike TV.

The animation group will produce content for Spike whenever the cable channel calls for them - meaning NMA doesn't have a consistent time slot to fill on Spike TV, a source tells us. NMA will receive around $100,000 for its first Spike TV project - which will be a Charlie Sheen special that will air March 9th.


http://www.businessinsider.com/next-...pike-tv-2011-3
post #37 of 1679
Only a couple more weeks! The trailers have me very excited for this show.
post #38 of 1679
http://www.georgerrmartin.com/if-update.html

Martin has finally given us a release date for A Dance with Dragons!!
post #39 of 1679
Watched the 15 minute preview and it had me wanting for more MUCH more ...Cant wait for this one to start up.
post #40 of 1679
If the series follows the book, be prepared for lots of characters with appalling morals doing foul deeds. The Stark clan, the protagonists and a few other sympathetic characters constantly are the target of these dirty tricks and never quite suceed in turning the tables. Be prepared, don't get attached to any likeable character and (in the books) there's not much to like about any of them. You might get attached to some of the darker ones though.
post #41 of 1679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

If the series follows the book, be prepared for lots of characters with appalling morals doing foul deeds. The Stark clan, the protagonists and a few other sympathetic characters constantly are the target of these dirty tricks and never quite suceed in turning the tables. Be prepared, don't get attached to any likeable character and (in the books) there's not much to like about any of them. You might get attached to some of the darker ones though.

That's one of the great things about the books, IMO. You never know who's going to live or die so it's really hard to predict what's going to happen a lot of the time. The only thing you can truly count on is Martin spending WAY too much time describing what they're eating or wearing. That's the bigged flaw with A Feast for Crows, IMO. If he cut out half of the descriptions of food and clothing he wouldn't have had to split the book.


I avoided the 15 minute preview but it was hard. I want to see the ep. in its entirety.
post #42 of 1679
As with any book to movie translation they have taken some liberties. To slim down the many many characters they have combined a few in to one and so forth. The Starks are all there but some of the other background characters may be a combo of two in the book.
They have twisted some events around with the timeline as well but all with the approval of Martin.
As most know this usually has to be done with book to TV/movies adaptations and with the scope these books with the scores if not hundreds of characters it is needed to make this work.
post #43 of 1679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

If the series follows the book, be prepared for lots of characters with appalling morals doing foul deeds. The Stark clan, the protagonists and a few other sympathetic characters constantly are the target of these dirty tricks and never quite suceed in turning the tables. Be prepared, don't get attached to any likeable character and (in the books) there's not much to like about any of them. You might get attached to some of the darker ones though.

I haven't read the books yet, but they are on my wishlist I've always tended to favor the Darkside anyways, so it wouldn't surprise me if I did it in this series as well.
post #44 of 1679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argee View Post

As with any book to movie translation they have taken some liberties. To slim down the many many characters they have combined a few in to one and so forth. The Starks are all there but some of the other background characters may be a combo of two in the book.
They have twisted some events around with the timeline as well but all with the approval of Martin.
As most know this usually has to be done with book to TV/movies adaptations and with the scope these books with the scores if not hundreds of characters it is needed to make this work.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/04/04/ga...ge-r-r-martin/

Spoiler-free brief interview w/ George R R Martin that touches on changes btwn books & series - and his being totally OK with it. Plus, turns out Martin himself penned the 8th episode's screenplay and had a now-deleted cameo (he plans on eventually showing up on screen).
post #45 of 1679
the first 12 minutes of this series have been released as an online sneak preview:

http://www.hbo.com/video/video.html?...&autoplay=true
post #46 of 1679
The entertainment reporter for the St Louis Post Dispatch does a weekly chat. Someone asked her about GoT and she replied that the books are not her thing. She said however that she has the first six episodes and she burnt through them and they are fantastic.
post #47 of 1679
Added HBO to my service just for this. How many eps before it goes on hiatus? I want to make sure to cancel as soon as the season is done.
post #48 of 1679
Season 1 is 10 episodes. I'd expect HBO to run them in consecutive weeks.
post #49 of 1679
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

Added HBO to my service just for this. How many eps before it goes on hiatus? I want to make sure to cancel as soon as the season is done.

As did I. I assumed it was running consecutive for 10 weeks.
post #50 of 1679
Huge fan of the books and glad to see the reviews of the tv adaptation are mostly glowing so far!
post #51 of 1679
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandOG View Post

As did I. I assumed it was running consecutive for 10 weeks.

Except the pay channels never put new eps. on Holiday weekends, such as Memorial Day. That weekend will most likely be a repeat.

Art
post #52 of 1679
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

Except the pay channels never put new eps. on Holiday weekends, such as Memorial Day. That weekend will most likely be a repeat.

Art

Actually, it looks like it will be 9 straight and a week off until 10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0944947/episodes
post #53 of 1679
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

Actually, it looks like it will be 9 straight and a week off until 10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0944947/episodes

Wow, that is unexpected. Many of us will miss the Memorial Day weekend episode due to traveling for the holiday. Maybe they don't care as much about the first airing numbers due to DVR, and OnDemand, usage.

Art
post #54 of 1679
Considering that they will show repeats all week long and many of us have DVRs, not an issue at all....
post #55 of 1679
I never read the books but I saw the 15 minute preview this evening. I am really looking forward to this series. HBO has been making some excellent shows as of late.
post #56 of 1679
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltsfan21 View Post
I never read the books but I saw the 15 minute preview this evening. I am really looking forward to this series. HBO has been making some excellent shows as of late.
Of late? HBO has been making excellent shows for over a decade.
post #57 of 1679
The PQ seems outstanding on FIOS.
post #58 of 1679
Very good, a little short of great for the first ep. I understand why some things are condensed, but they also added a few things that I think it would have been better without (Cersei and Jaime's introduction pre-Winterfell, wasn't needed, for example).
post #59 of 1679
I thought it was hugely entertaining and the production values are obviously through the roof, especially for television. It's head and shoulders better than Camelot, though I am watching that anyway and mildly enjoying it as well. This is one I will really look forward to.
post #60 of 1679
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

I thought it was hugely entertaining and the production values are obviously through the roof, especially for television. It's head and shoulders better than Camelot, though I am watching that anyway and mildly enjoying it as well. This is one I will really look forward to.

I agree on all counts. I've never read the books but this first episode was fascinating; it's going to be fun to watch things develop.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD *** WARNING - Spoilers allowed ***