I bought one 32LD450 w/IPS panel few days ago with “W” from a local Costco warehouse. The reason is to replace my current (still working, but a little too small) NEC 20WMGX2 20” monitor (w/AS-IPS) used with my PC. I have love my NEC, however it is a little too small. At work we use 22” and even my in-laws use 22” screen…LOL… I’ve use my PC mainly to game, browse the net, some other desktop duties and occasionally to watch a tv show. For movies I still prefer to use my PJ (w/110” screen in the basement) or 40” Bravia in my bedroom. The initial impression was not good, because most of frame was detached from the panel ( I guess glue did not hold it, during transportation from Mexico ). So the TV needs to go back to Costco. However it did power up and other than detached frame it seems to be working fine. My PC uses windows 7 64bit and I have a ATI HD6950 2GB card with 11.4 preview drivers. I’ve used DVI to HDMI connection on input 1 (black name) and the TV passes 4:4:4 with flying colors. Most of the time I use it during evening with a very little light in the room. I went through FAQ and I was playing with the settings a little bit, also I’ve used some of the recommended settings, but I’m still looking for perfect settings combination. My first finding is OMG, going from 20” to 32” is a big step… The sitting is about 3-4 feet, so my eyes still need to adjust to it. I’ve only used it for few days (with my limited time to play with it).
So far my findings are:
- Size is wonderful when gaming/browsing
- Almost perfect fonts
- Very good natural colors
- Very good input lag
- Tons of menu options/tweaks
- No edge bleeding
- Relatively uniform backlight
- black, black and black levels… Not really surprise here since I’m coming from AS-IPS monitor which has just a little better blacks
- my eyesight is somewhere in the middle, and even when looking straight I get a little of IPS black “glow” at the top edges of the screen. It could be that 3-4ft is too close? Or perhaps TV should be lowered a bit. I’ve read somewhere that the eyesight should be 1-2” from the top of the screen… hmmm..
- IPS black glow, more problematic in the up-down movement. Moving from side to side it is not too bad…
- AG is not that bad as I thought it will be coming from glossy NEC
- Still feels a little too big from 3-4 feet… I guess it will take some time to adjust to this monster…
Overall I’m very happy with the TV, except black levels…
I have a couple of questions/favours, I do apologize if they where already answered in this thread …
1) Please share your settings if you have similar setup as my: PC sitting up close (3-4ft) for gaming/browsing in relatively dark room.
2) When I go to [H] forums, the yellow forum names looks almost as NEON colors (very strong and eye burning)… Is this because of the backlight is set to high… I have it set at 35% I believe… or is it something else… like gamma settings or something else. The regular black on white text looks fine. So far I’ve only found
3) Since I’m using HDMI-DVI, is there anything I have to do if I run regular RCA (left and right) outputs to TV inputs on Input 1? Since the sound does not travel through HDMI, is there something do be done in the TV’s Menu to enable sound via regular RCA audio connection?
4) Do you guys recommend setting more subtle for web browsing and then more aggressive (more pop) for gaming/occasional movie watching?
5) Based on my needs do you guys think Sony 32ex400 ($80 more) would be a better purchase than LG 32LD450? SPVA with superb blacks, decent input lag and according to my friend very acceptable text…
6) Is there something better coming out in 2011 for my needs?
Thanks so much…