or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official LG XXLD450 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official LG XXLD450 Thread - Page 4

post #91 of 1547
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoKushan View Post

You CAN get into the service menu, but you'll need to send a special IR code (either via a properly configured Universal Remote or using a special app on a phone with an IR light, such as most S60 nokias).
I have the 42LD450 and I enabled MKV/DivX USB playback this way, as well as THX stuff. I'd be interested in knowing what else I can enable without bricking the TV, but I haven't got the courage to try it.

lgusb.wikispaces.com/IR+Hack

I believe the password is NOT 0000, but 0413.

Awesome suggestion. How do I the same with a newer smartphone .... say an android device. Any apps?
post #92 of 1547
I wonder if the considerably lower black levels I'm measuring on my 37" vs KND and his 42" was due to the IPS vs AUO panel differences.

knd ... did you ever get a chance to take a Macro zoom shot of the panels on your 42" and new 60"? Curious to see what they look like given the black levels on your LD550 seem to match what I'm getting on my 37" LD450?
post #93 of 1547
Crap, could only find an RCA RCR6473 remote. Tried the 5 digit code, turned the TV on, pressed Guide on the remote and nothing. Not sure if this is because it's not one of the listed remotes (not sure if they have only listed remotes that people have used thus far in that list or whether someone actually knows "only" those remotes work but I was betting the former and not the latter!), but I was hoping if the RCR4373N remote worked, the 6473 would also work (same remote, but 6 devices vs 4). No such luck.

Grrr...a PIA to return this remote as well.
post #94 of 1547
Should the settings for the IPS panel ld450 be different from the 37 inch AUO panel?
post #95 of 1547
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatrixShadow View Post

Should the settings for the IPS panel ld450 be different from the 37 inch AUO panel?

I would think so, being completely different panels.
post #96 of 1547
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

I'm not a fan of any of the enhancers on TV's in general as I find they degrade the picture more than anything. So I keep those off. I occasionally turn Dynamic Contrast on low for fun (gives the colors a lot of artificial pop which people who come over seem to be impressed with ).

All in all, being a bit of a measurement snob, I'm super happy with this set outside of the lack of more than 1 HDMI input and viewing angle. Though admittedly I don't recall the Samsung LNB460 set I had for a while having a better viewing angle at all.

pbc,

I'm still a little new with this tv and I was curious, was the settings you posted mainly for dvd or blu-ray movies or are they your everyday settings for cable/sat tv also..
post #97 of 1547
I typically just use one set of settings for all my viewings. When measuring my set I do so with my bluray player (Oppo 83), so the settings are definitley optimized for bluray simply because it's impossible to calibrate to sattelite/cable given each channel/program will be different.

Some people will pump up contrast for daytime viewing, but I find 35ftL more than adequate for it.

Note, again, my set is a 37" AUO panel which apparently is different from all other size panels in this lineup. So knd's settings "may" be more accurate for IPS panels as his was a 42".

But personally if I didn't have measuring equipment, I'd simply get a Calibration DVD (say HD DVE Basics) and use that to calibrate Contrast/Brightness/Color/Tint/Sharpness and leave grey scale and the CMS controls alone until more people have measured each others settings to confirm that the settings are somewhat similar from set to set. E.g., if I had blindly input knd's settings into my set, it would have made the results much worse than leaving the set in Movie mode and default settings.

The large differences were likely simply the result of his set being an IPS panel vs mine being an AUO panel, but who knows.
post #98 of 1547
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

I typically just use one set of settings for all my viewings. When measuring my set I do so with my bluray player (Oppo 83), so the settings are definitley optimized for bluray simply because it's impossible to calibrate to sattelite/cable given each channel/program will be different.

Some people will pump up contrast for daytime viewing, but I find 35ftL more than adequate for it.

Note, again, my set is a 37" AUO panel which apparently is different from all other size panels in this lineup. So knd's settings "may" be more accurate for IPS panels as his was a 42".

But personally if I didn't have measuring equipment, I'd simply get a Calibration DVD (say HD DVE Basics) and use that to calibrate Contrast/Brightness/Color/Tint/Sharpness and leave grey scale and the CMS controls alone until more people have measured each others settings to confirm that the settings are somewhat similar from set to set. E.g., if I had blindly input knd's settings into my set, it would have made the results much worse than leaving the set in Movie mode and default settings.

The large differences were likely simply the result of his set being an IPS panel vs mine being an AUO panel, but who knows.


I have a 47", would your settings be beneficial? also, are you running the blu-ray player at 1080p/24f? my toshiba xde600 dvd player has the 1080/24 output setting but I'm not sure if I should use it because the ld450 models are only 60hz but I know they have a 24p option
post #99 of 1547
What I would do is simply use the patterns inherent in the easy setup guide included with the TV. Provides a blue mode for setting color/tint, some patterns for brightness/contrast, etc.

I have no idea if my settings or knd's for that matter will work better with your particular set.
post #100 of 1547
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

What I would do is simply use the patterns inherent in the easy setup guide included with the TV. Provides a blue mode for setting color/tint, some patterns for brightness/contrast, etc.

I have no idea if my settings or knd's for that matter will work better with your particular set.

Do you know what panel is used in the 46LD550? Seems kinda strange that LG has both 46 and 47 inch LCDs...
post #101 of 1547
are you able to spot Panel at back grill, these pics were from LH30 thread, i've seen a 42LH30 instore with AU_Optronics where that LG logo is in pic below


post #102 of 1547
Mine hasn't arrived yet, but I'll report back when it does, perhaps in a new thread. I don't think there is a 550 thread yet.
post #103 of 1547
That is odd that they'd carry a 46 and 47". You'd think economies of scale would justify manufacturing 1 panel vs 2 for essentially the same size.
post #104 of 1547
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

That is odd that they'd carry a 46 and 47". You'd think economies of scale would justify manufacturing 1 panel vs 2 for essentially the same size.

47" is a LG only panel while lots of people make 46" ... maybe they wanted to reduce costs by going for other panels? Thats the only rationale. Something tells me that the 550 series is a non LG panel series.

In general for the best LG panels, we need to buy the higher end. Sometimes one gets lucky in the lower series e.g. I managed to get a IPS panel for my 42LD450. I took a chance since I bought from Frys B&M for a rock bottom price. Else I would have bought a higher end (maybe the 42LH90 for almost the 2x the price!).
post #105 of 1547
Given that black levels appear to be twice as black as the IPS panel on my AUO, colors are spot on, grey scale is quite linear as is Gamma, what are the advantages of the IPS panels? Is it viewing angles and input lag (for gaming)? Possibly screen uniformity or what seems to be referred to as haze (not sure what "haze" means yet, sorry new to LCDs!)?
post #106 of 1547
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

That is odd that they'd carry a 46 and 47". You'd think economies of scale would justify manufacturing 1 panel vs 2 for essentially the same size.

My guess is that they don't have enough capacity, and are forced to use other's panels. Of course, one thing I've come to realize is that often companies are separated into different units. So the group that makes TVs isn't forced to use exclusively LG panels, and the group that makes panels doesn't sell exclusively internally. Interesting, though, as "what panel" is used seems the most important aspect by many technically orientated buyers....
post #107 of 1547
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBenn View Post

Interesting, though, as "what panel" is used seems the most important aspect by many technically orientated buyers....

Except that this represents maybe 1% of the market ... think of how many TV's are sold by big box stores to consumers who walk in "looking for a great set" and walk out with whatever set provides the rep the most commission, or the one that "looks best in the store".
post #108 of 1547
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangaboo View Post

are you able to spot Panel at back grill, these pics were from LH30 thread, i've seen a 42LH30 instore with AU_Optronics where that LG logo is in pic below



Just checked mine, and that particular "see through" grill is now blocked by what appears to be a black fabric or something. Wonder if LG caught wind of people looking through this to figure out the panel and covered it up...
post #109 of 1547
can someone answer this question. i have a 47ld450 and my toshiba xde600 dvd player has the 1080/24 output setting but I'm not sure if I should use it because the ld450 models are only 60hz but I know they have a 24p option. I read all about 1080/24 option should only be set with 120hz, what do you guys think
post #110 of 1547
Why not try both and see ...
post #111 of 1547
How does this series compare to the Panasonic U22 sets? Which company makes the better IPS panel(pros vs cons? Does one type of IPS have a better black level?)

I have a 37" LG that was purchased today and refuses to output sound for more than 10 seconds on any input after turning the internal speaker off and back on.

Viewing angles and low input lag isn't much of a concern but Panasonic and LG sets are the only one in our budget that we can pick up. I do like the superior black levels of the S-PVA panels and all the seating for the set is directly in front of it making super wide viewing angles unnecessary.
post #112 of 1547
Has anybody clocked the input lag on this series of displays? I am a bit curious.
post #113 of 1547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballz2TheWallz View Post

How does this series compare to the Panasonic U22 sets? Which company makes the better IPS panel(pros vs cons? Does one type of IPS have a better black level?)

I have a 37" LG that was purchased today and refuses to output sound for more than 10 seconds on any input after turning the internal speaker off and back on.

Viewing angles and low input lag isn't much of a concern but Panasonic and LG sets are the only one in our budget that we can pick up. I do like the superior black levels of the S-PVA panels and all the seating for the set is directly in front of it making super wide viewing angles unnecessary.

It looks like the 37" LG (450) uses the AUO panel, though that could vary panel to panel. Can you take a picture similar to the one I took a couple pages back by setting your camera to Macro or Macro Zoom on a 100IRE window?

The AUO panels tend to have better black levels than the IPS panels, though supposedly the IPS panels have better color. I say supposedly because the primary and secondary colors are measuring pretty darn well on my 37".

IPS should have better input lag (for gamers) and viewing angles.

IIRC, Panasonic LCD sets have measured quite poorly in terms of black levels, so I'm curious how the U22 series fairs as well.
post #114 of 1547
I ended up picking up a 32LD450, the viewing angles are very good from a color standpoint but blacks INSTANTLY wash out if you sit anywhere but dead center in a dim/dark room(is this characteristic of IPS panels?)

My AUO 32" Samsung doesn't exhibit this phenomenon and just washes out everything including color at the slightest angle and my Sony/Samsung made panels(older 720p 40" Samsung and a Sony 46W5100) don't wash out very much at all when moving to more moderate viewing angles like my AUO does with color or LG with blacks.

The set also seems to ramp up from darker shades too quickly so very dark greys appear lighter than they should while black shades remain at a respectable level(cinema/isf modes with image processing off). Are there any starting point settings for the 32LD450?
post #115 of 1547
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyvpboi View Post

can someone answer this question. i have a 47ld450 and my toshiba xde600 dvd player has the 1080/24 output setting but I'm not sure if I should use it because the ld450 models are only 60hz but I know they have a 24p option. I read all about 1080/24 option should only be set with 120hz, what do you guys think

Try both, like another poster said. Either the Player does the 3:2 pulldown, or the TV does. And one of them, I'd guess, will do better than the other.

With a 120 Hz set you want to do 1080/24, so the TV can do a 5:5.
post #116 of 1547
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf View Post

Has anybody clocked the input lag on this series of displays? I am a bit curious.

Input lag test on a European 37LD450. Shots taken with a Canon Powershot A590 IS 8MP camera.
I connected an hdmi cable to the HDMI 1 port on the back of the TV, and after using a dvi to hdmi adapter, made the connection to the PC. The crt monitor's connected to the PC through analog (vga) connection. Some results of the test with the TV in game mode:

50ms



50ms



17ms



50ms



50ms



33ms



50ms



33ms



50ms



50ms



33ms



50ms


Renaming the input to PC didn't do anything to affect the lag.

Verdict: dreadful
post #117 of 1547
2010 LG 42LD450

back grating does show LG panel like on the 37LH30, i wonder if the ones blocked are not LG




Macro screenshot of panel, looks like LG panel S-IPS, they might have made improvements from 37LH30 LG panel because the pixels look closer together


differences i've noticed from my 2009 LG 37LH30 are
  • Added Warm/Cool slider setting
  • Added Clear White setting
  • Added Skin Tone slider setting (I complained about my 37LH30 having yellowish skin tones and this setting allows tweaking of that)
  • Removed Natural picture setting, I think with additions of two settings above its not needed anymore. I used this picture setting on my 37LH30 to remove the yellow skin tones
  • OPC setting removed
  • Picture Wizard was updated with more options
  • Anti-glare coating maybe changed, the grey glow shine on certain angles seems reduced

I think its a better TV than my 37LH30, everything seems improved minus the 1 hdmi port but the image looks better, the blacks look darker

Going to try getting into service menu with Universal Remote, unfortunately i can't do any input lag tests as i don't have a CRT monitor anymore
post #118 of 1547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxmania View Post

Verdict: dreadful

another forum tested 32LD350 and it had low input lag, it might be IPS

http://shoryuken.com/f177/new-defini...ml#post9158230

I think the 37" from LG this year are from AUO
post #119 of 1547
got into Service Menu using the 00018 and 00019 code found on this page http://lgusb.wikispaces.com/Universal+Remote+Hack

turned on Divx Option for USB



post #120 of 1547
I just bought a 32LD450 for my bedroom. I checked the back grill and it does say LG Display on the sticker, so it looks like another IPS panel for this series.

I have an Olevia 747i in the living room. While I thought that the 747i wasn't doing so much processing wise, in comparison it was doing a lot for my SD sources.

But, HD is looking good on the LG and I haven't finished testing out or configuring things yet. I'm particularly interested to see how well the Real Cinema mode works. I guess that it's a 48hz mode, hope so at least.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › Official LG XXLD450 Thread