or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK - Page 336

post #10051 of 10436
th>> I have unplugged my system while moving things around and it retained all settings including audio calibration.
post #10052 of 10436
It IS possible that a power loss could wipe out the settings, but if the receiver was still functioning properly (e.g. Dynamic EQ and Volume were available) then it's improbable that it happened. A power loss wouldn't incrementally "degrade" the audio, it would either F it up and wipe the setting or it wouldn't.

Most likely it's just a coincidence, perhaps some different measuring technique and the addition of the new sub along with a sprinkling of placebo effect.

There is no real "need" to do routine recalibrations unless you just like experimenting, or if there has been a physical change in the room.
post #10053 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by centauro74 View Post

What is the best way to try out a Aperion Verus Grand center on a pre-installed system on polk audio speakers.
Let me explained, I order a 3.0 set of Verus Grand from Aperion, I got the center today but the towers won't be here for another 3 weeks. I'm running monitor 70's and a CS2 right now.
So the question is should I turn off Audyssey and use a SPL meter to equal the levels of the new center to the existing configuration or run Audyssey setup on only one point. I don't want to do the setup twice when I get the towers.
Sorry for the long post and thanks for the help.

It is extremely difficult to compare two different speakers with two separate Audyssey calibrations. If you just want to get a sense of "raw" sound quality I would recommend what you have already thought of -- shutting off Audyssey completely and level matching.
post #10054 of 10436
Here's one for ya... I have zone 1 my living room and zone 2 my patio speakers. What I am trying to do is play the playlist from my iPhone via airplay to zone 2 and when I do it it goes to zone 1 instead. Any ideas?
post #10055 of 10436
So I picked up a 3311 the other night and I'm having issues connecting. When I first got it I was able to get an IP off my router but couldn't connect to the AVR from a computer and I couldn't connect out from the receiver. I tried setting it up with a static IP direct from my router bypassing any switches I have but again nothing. From there I tried both types of resets which didn't do anything. I then tried connecting the AVR directly to my modem to rule out any issues with my equipment. It pulled an IP address but was unable to connect to anything. I’ve also tested all cables with a tester and confirmed that they work with other equipment.

Now that I’ve hooked everything back up that IP address won't change no matter what I do or how many times I reset the AVR. My network uses 192.168.0.* and the IP stuck on the AVR now is 192.165.1.* which I assume it got direct from the modem. Shouldn't the network resets I've been doing clear that out?

The other thing I noticed right out of the box was I was unable to play with any of the options in the network settings or at least a lot of them. Generally you can navigate through the menus but when I get to something like MANUAL SETUP -> NETWORK SETUP -> NETWORK CONNECTING I’m unable to go anywhere, I can’t get into the NETWORK CONNECTING options. The only options I can look at in the menu are OTHER and NETWORK INFORMATION. In MANUAL SETUP -> NETWORK SETUP -> OTHER I’m again met with a lot of things I’m unable to change or even look at. I can’t do anything with MANUAL SETUP -> NETWORK SETUP -> OTHER -> NETWORK STANDBY, there is no “->” and “enter” does nothing, but I can get into MANUAL SETUP -> NETWORK SETUP -> OTHER -> UPGRADE NOTIFICATION and turn that on and off. According to the manual I should be able to hit enter or right arrow to access the next part of the menu hierarchy in most of the options.

Someone tell me what I’m doing wrong.

Thanks
Edited by kingpin748 - 2/6/13 at 6:24pm
post #10056 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasontech2001 View Post

Here's one for ya... I have zone 1 my living room and zone 2 my patio speakers. What I am trying to do is play the playlist from my iPhone via airplay to zone 2 and when I do it it goes to zone 1 instead. Any ideas?

You can't do Airplay independently to Zone 2, the Airplay stream "hijacks" the receiver and must play in main zone in addition to Zone 2. It's an unfortunate limitation that was finally resolved in the xx13 models. If this functionality is important to you, you might want to think about adding an Airport Express to your system and use that as a "dedicated" Zone 2 Airplay access point.
post #10057 of 10436
Lucky me. So my 3311 (which I bought in Jan. 2012 and stopped working early July) has been out for warranty repair three times in the past year, for a total of about 13 weeks. The local warranty repair center has given up and is shipping it to Denon (of course, they asked me to bring the box out to them, which they should've asked for last time rather than bringing me out there for a sixth time). So that means I will be looking at who knows how many more weeks without the thing. Super frustrating. I've been using my old Onkyo as a backup, but it is not 3D capable and it is agonizingly slow to lock onto audio signals (a problem for OTA TV watching since our reception isn't so great). I've had some other equipment fail on me over the years but nothing on this level.

So, yeah, I just came here to whine. You can go about your business. Move along, move along.
post #10058 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin748 View Post

So I picked up a 3311 the other night and I'm having issues connecting. When I first got it I was able to get an IP off my router but couldn't connect to the AVR from a computer and I couldn't connect out from the receiver. I tried setting it up with a static IP direct from my router bypassing any switches I have but again nothing. From there I tried both types of resets which didn't do anything. I then tried connecting the AVR directly to my modem to rule out any issues with my equipment. It pulled an IP address but was unable to connect to anything. I’ve also tested all cables with a tester and confirmed that they work with other equipment.

Now that I’ve hooked everything back up that IP address won't change no matter what I do or how many times I reset the AVR. My network uses 192.168.0.* and the IP stuck on the AVR now is 192.165.1.* which I assume it got direct from the modem. Shouldn't the network resets I've been doing clear that out?

The other thing I noticed right out of the box was I was unable to play with any of the options in the network settings or at least a lot of them. Generally you can navigate through the menus but when I get to something like MANUAL SETUP -> NETWORK SETUP -> NETWORK CONNECTING I’m unable to go anywhere, I can’t get into the NETWORK CONNECTING options. The only options I can look at in the menu are OTHER and NETWORK INFORMATION. In MANUAL SETUP -> NETWORK SETUP -> OTHER I’m again met with a lot of things I’m unable to change or even look at. I can’t do anything with MANUAL SETUP -> NETWORK SETUP -> OTHER -> NETWORK STANDBY, there is no “->” and “enter” does nothing, but I can get into MANUAL SETUP -> NETWORK SETUP -> OTHER -> UPGRADE NOTIFICATION and turn that on and off. According to the manual I should be able to hit enter or right arrow to access the next part of the menu hierarchy in most of the options.

Someone tell me what I’m doing wrong.

Thanks

It looks like it's released that IP now and it's got a new one from the router. I've given it a static IP now but I'm still unable to connect with it over the network and I'm still not able to make any changes to those settings. I feel like if I've got an IP and I can see it in my router setup page that I missing something easy, something stupid. Anyone have an idea?

I have read a 100 pages of this thread but it's a lot of info and I haven't found anything similar yet.
Edited by kingpin748 - 2/7/13 at 4:44pm
post #10059 of 10436
I am having a problem with updating my firmware on my 3311. The receiver goes into a loop of trying to update. I have tried resetting the network card several times without success. Interestingly, after the receiver connects and is in the "waiting to retry" mode, if I check the firmware version, it shows version 7, suggesting the update was complete; despite this, the processor continues to retry updating until the network connection is broken or the card is reset.


I do seem to have full functionality of the receiver over the network otherwise, including Rhapsody streaming; I have no difficulty saving or loading configurations, nor difficulty accessing web functions.


I have tried connecting the reciever directly to the router, letting the update try to run all night, but achieved the same results. The receiver enters a retry loop. It does seem as if the receiver actually download and installs the update as the firmware version afterwards is 0007. Additionally, the "friendly name" shows on the network after the update, whereas it did not show before the update (reset net card to version 0000).

It is as if the receiver downloads and installs the version 0007, but a glitch in the software fools the receiver into thinking the download was incomplete, and enters the eternal retry download loop.

What is next?!?!
Any suggestions?
post #10060 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin748 View Post

It looks like it's released that IP now and it's got a new one from the router. I've given it a static IP now but I'm still unable to connect with it over the network and I'm still not able to make any changes to those settings. I feel like if I've got an IP and I can see it in my router setup page that I missing something easy, something stupid. Anyone have an idea?

I have read a 100 pages of this thread but it's a lot of info and I haven't found anything similar yet.

What router are you using? You may want to consider a different model, perhaps one listed in the post below ....

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1409431/the-official-denon-avr-xx13-model-owners-thread-faq/1000_100#post_22219147
post #10061 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacruffymd View Post

I am having a problem with updating my firmware on my 3311. The receiver goes into a loop of trying to update. I have tried resetting the network card several times without success. Interestingly, after the receiver connects and is in the "waiting to retry" mode, if I check the firmware version, it shows version 7, suggesting the update was complete; despite this, the processor continues to retry updating until the network connection is broken or the card is reset.


I do seem to have full functionality of the receiver over the network otherwise, including Rhapsody streaming; I have no difficulty saving or loading configurations, nor difficulty accessing web functions.


I have tried connecting the reciever directly to the router, letting the update try to run all night, but achieved the same results. The receiver enters a retry loop. It does seem as if the receiver actually download and installs the update as the firmware version afterwards is 0007. Additionally, the "friendly name" shows on the network after the update, whereas it did not show before the update (reset net card to version 0000).

It is as if the receiver downloads and installs the version 0007, but a glitch in the software fools the receiver into thinking the download was incomplete, and enters the eternal retry download loop.

What is next?!?!
Any suggestions?

As the 3311CI is fairly old and unlikely to receive any future firmware updates, you may just want to set the Notifications - Update setting to OFF to see if that prevents the unit from going attempting to go into the Update mode. Otherwise, you could try using another router as suggested in the post above.
post #10062 of 10436
I agree, but my current version is 0000 since required a network card reset to get out of the retry loop. I would like to go to my previous version (0006), but cannot.
post #10063 of 10436
A network reset cannot change the version of firmware that is installed on the unit.
post #10064 of 10436
I believe there is a software issue with the latest firmware updates compataibility with some receivers, especially the older 3311, as evidenced by the number of problems seen in various forums. Denon should offer a resolution, preferably in the way of another firmware update, possibly model specific.

In the meantime, I would like to update my receiver to a firmware that re-establishes my prior level of functionality.

Would m
post #10065 of 10436
Would moving my receiver to another access point (like a neighbors modem) help? Any other suggestions? Any possibility of downloading version 0006?
post #10066 of 10436
When I do the reset by pushing and holding the up and down arrows when powering up the receiver, the version resets to firmware version 0000.
post #10067 of 10436
Only the most current version of firmware is ever available for download. Yes, it's worth trying to update at your neighbor's house.
post #10068 of 10436
What do you make of the fact that even though the update process seems incomplete and enters the retry loop, the version on the receiver shows 0007 and functionality seems full?
post #10069 of 10436
Would that not indicate a somewhat unstable software or a glitch that might be corrected or improved with a devoted Denon software programmer?!?
post #10070 of 10436
I will try a neighbors modem. I have had no prior difficulties with firmware updates. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks, jdsmoothie!

By the way, I have a typo in my "name" (sacruffymd should be scruffymd). Can I edit this? I looked in edit profile, but could not find.
post #10071 of 10436
When suggesting resetting the microprocessor "3-4 times," do you mean to reset sequentially (i.e., reset, power down, reset, power down, reset, power down)?
post #10072 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacruffymd View Post

What do you make of the fact that even though the update process seems incomplete and enters the retry loop, the version on the receiver shows 0007 and functionality seems full?

There's definitely a problem. Try multiple network resets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacruffymd View Post

Would that not indicate a somewhat unstable software or a glitch that might be corrected or improved with a devoted Denon software programmer?!?

Check Denon's website to see if there is an authorized repair facility in your local area that can do the update for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacruffymd View Post

I will try a neighbors modem. I have had no prior difficulties with firmware updates. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks, jdsmoothie!

By the way, I have a typo in my "name" (sacruffymd should be scruffymd). Can I edit this? I looked in edit profile, but could not find.

As you are are a recent new member, simply create a new account using the correct name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacruffymd View Post

When suggesting resetting the microprocessor "3-4 times," do you mean to reset sequentially (i.e., reset, power down, reset, power down, reset, power down)?

Yup.
post #10073 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

What router are you using? You may want to consider a different model, perhaps one listed in the post below ....

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1409431/the-official-denon-avr-xx13-model-owners-thread-faq/1000_100#post_22219147

No, like I said I plugged right into the modem, no routers, and got the same issue. Talked to Denon and the local repair facility. Looks like the network chip is cooked. No airplay for me.
post #10074 of 10436
Does anyone know if there's an easy way to switch between front wides and surround rear speakers without having to go through the Audessey set up each time? I've got 9 speakers in place and I'm trying to figure out weather I like the wides or the rears but I can't seem to find a way to switch between them without going through a process. I've looked in the manual and Batpig's documents but I couldn't find the answer.
Thanx
post #10075 of 10436
The 3311CI has the capability to connect up to 11 speakers (7 operating at one time during normal play though), all of which will be EQ'd at the time that Audyssey is run. Once the FW and Surr Back speakers have been EQ'd, you should be able to switch between them using the Speaker setting (p. 75 OM).
post #10076 of 10436
Thank you jdsmoothie, I'll rerun Audyssey with all speakers hooked up.
post #10077 of 10436
That should do it for you then. smile.gif
post #10078 of 10436
I'm having a bit of a problem with my 3311 where the L/R channel level keeps flickering back and forth on the receiver and tv screen. As well as the receiver telling me to 'Run Audyssey'
when I press the A-DSX button.

I've reset the receiver and reran Audyssey a couple of times, but the problem always comes back.



Any suggestions?
post #10079 of 10436
Were the Front Wide and/or Front Height speakers calibrated as well when you ran Audyssey?
post #10080 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Were the Front Wide and/or Front Height speakers calibrated as well when you ran Audyssey?

No they were not, I only currently have a L/C/R hooked up. On a side note, I haven't updated the firmware, not sure if that would play any role in this issue.

I recently got the receiver from A4L, so I'm hoping that I'm just dumb and didn't get a dud. =)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK