or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK - Page 340

post #10171 of 10436
Looking for some 3311CI network connect / firmware upgrade help.

I have a 3311CI that I purchased in late 2010 and has never been connected to the Internet - strictly stand alone up till now. I also just got an iPhone 4S and have an app on it that will allow me to do some basic 3311 controlling from the iPhone. It requires that the 3311 be part of my network, AND that the 3311 be at current firmware levels. Well, only five feet away from the 3311 is my cable modem and a wireless router. The router also has five ethernet ports on it. I have one hooked to the Panasonic TV and another to a Sony Blu-Ray DVD player. Last night I ran another ethernet cable from the router to the 3311. After a power off/on of the 3311 I tried to get the 3311 introduced to the Internet. Appears that the router's DHCP stuff worked OK, as I'm seeing that the 3311 has been given 10.0.1.25 for it's IP address. I told the 3311 to see if there were updates, and it said yes. So, I began what I thought was going to be a firmware update. Initially it said it could take up to an hour or so to do firmware updates. When the 3311 found that there was an update available, it noted that it should take about 35 minutes. Great! I told it go get started. Forty five (45) minutes later I was still seeing "Authenticating..." on the 3311 LCD display and the TV. It was time for bed, so I killed the process and luckily nothing got screwed up.

My question is - what it this "Authenticating..." message it is giving me, and how long should I see that message displayed when trying to upgrade the firmware? If I start it up again before going to bed, will it complete on it's own, or will it get hung up further down the road waiting for some sort of response from me to complete the upgrade?

Thanks, Jim
post #10172 of 10436
JIM, some people have let it run all night with success also has FREE Upgrade for AirPlay, which you may do later & web control lets you save your settings.
post #10173 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by W6JHB View Post

Looking for some 3311CI network connect / firmware upgrade help.

I have a 3311CI that I purchased in late 2010 and has never been connected to the Internet - strictly stand alone up till now. I also just got an iPhone 4S and have an app on it that will allow me to do some basic 3311 controlling from the iPhone. It requires that the 3311 be part of my network, AND that the 3311 be at current firmware levels. Well, only five feet away from the 3311 is my cable modem and a wireless router. The router also has five ethernet ports on it. I have one hooked to the Panasonic TV and another to a Sony Blu-Ray DVD player. Last night I ran another ethernet cable from the router to the 3311. After a power off/on of the 3311 I tried to get the 3311 introduced to the Internet. Appears that the router's DHCP stuff worked OK, as I'm seeing that the 3311 has been given 10.0.1.25 for it's IP address. I told the 3311 to see if there were updates, and it said yes. So, I began what I thought was going to be a firmware update. Initially it said it could take up to an hour or so to do firmware updates. When the 3311 found that there was an update available, it noted that it should take about 35 minutes. Great! I told it go get started. Forty five (45) minutes later I was still seeing "Authenticating..." on the 3311 LCD display and the TV. It was time for bed, so I killed the process and luckily nothing got screwed up.

My question is - what it this "Authenticating..." message it is giving me, and how long should I see that message displayed when trying to upgrade the firmware? If I start it up again before going to bed, will it complete on it's own, or will it get hung up further down the road waiting for some sort of response from me to complete the upgrade?

Thanks, Jim

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq/0_100#post_23134215
post #10174 of 10436
Thanks for the info, guys. I'll give it another try tonight and let it run whilst I'm watching my eyelids.

Jim
post #10175 of 10436
Things are not going well - I may have spoken too soon regarding not causing a problem the other night. Last night I noticed that something has changed on my 3311. Now, when I change from one input to another, the unit does not recognize the data from that input device. I turn off the 3311 and back on, and it then sees the A/V from that source. Didn't do that before. I had been able to turn the dial and go from one source device to another and the 3311 would see what was being sent to it. So, it appears that I've screwed something up.

Further, I can't get it to show me any stuff related to the LAN settings - I only see that it has an IP address supplied by my router. In addition, if I go to the menu entry for Firmware Updates all that shows is the left arrow, no going any further at that menu entry. Sighhhhh...... Should I reset the microprocessor? And can I assume that doing so will remove all my Input Assignments and named input sources?

Jim
post #10176 of 10436
Jim did the update work? Oops sorry I see it did not.
post #10177 of 10436
Guess I may have dodged a bullet. I "attempted" to do a reset per the user manual - never got any flashing panel display as it said I would but, after doing the process a couple times, all seems to be working: I now have the "Update Available" and my various input devices' signals are recognized by the 3311. I am now in the process of the firmware update, watching the "Authenticating..." message again. This time I'll let it run as long as it wants. Will report back to the thread when I get further results - good or bad.
post #10178 of 10436
I guess that old saying "Nothing in life is simple..." holds true. The update process ran for a while and when I returned to the room, saw a "updating failed 10" on the 3311 display. Nice. Very informative. Could not power the unit on or off. Pulled the power plug. Powered it on and went back to the menu option for firmware updates. I told it to check for updates and got: Update Firmware Latest. That usually tells me that the device has the current firmware level. If so, why that failed message?

Then, I went to "Add new feature" and got: There is no new feature that you bought. If you would like to upgrade, please visit the DENON web site." I pressed OK. It did some stuff, then displayed: "Upgrade Package Not Registered - AirPlay". Arrrrghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!mad.gif

And, just to top things off, the app (free, thank goodness) from the App Store that is supposed to control Denon devices cannot find this device on my network. I suppose the app may be a piece of crap and I'm not broken hearted if I have to delete it and forget about using my iPhone to control the 3311. But, I am a little concerned about the above issues on firmware upgrade status and that new feature / registration. Any ideas what's going on?

Jim
post #10179 of 10436
Looks like firmware is updated.

Seems I did have to get a code or something like that to add Free AirPlay; beats paying $50, like people had to do @ 1st.

Delete Denon App & reinstall &/or install Marantz App (works, too). Have same type phone as you, which is why I got the iPhone.
post #10180 of 10436
Sancho -

I blasted that Denon App and installed a free one for the Marantz line. I didn't look, but apparently the two apps were written by the same folks, as the interface is identical. Unfortunately, the Marantz app gives me the same result - the 3311 does not show up on the list of devices. My four DirecTV units do, but not the Denon. So, I try to add the Denon's IP address of 10.0.1.25 and get a message: "The IP address is invalid. Please check the IP address." This is the correct address, and I can ping it from my iMac. I do notice that the "Add Devices" text in the app says to please use a static IP address (not DHCP) on these devices. I am using DHCP, but can guarantee that the .25 address will never change. How is your 3311 configured - for static or DHCP? And, why am I not able to have either app see the 3311?
post #10181 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by W6JHB View Post

I guess that old saying "Nothing in life is simple..." holds true. The update process ran for a while and when I returned to the room, saw a "updating failed 10" on the 3311 display. Nice. Very informative. Could not power the unit on or off. Pulled the power plug. Powered it on and went back to the menu option for firmware updates. I told it to check for updates and got: Update Firmware Latest. That usually tells me that the device has the current firmware level. If so, why that failed message?

Then, I went to "Add new feature" and got: There is no new feature that you bought. If you would like to upgrade, please visit the DENON web site." I pressed OK. It did some stuff, then displayed: "Upgrade Package Not Registered - AirPlay". Arrrrghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!mad.gif

And, just to top things off, the app (free, thank goodness) from the App Store that is supposed to control Denon devices cannot find this device on my network. I suppose the app may be a piece of crap and I'm not broken hearted if I have to delete it and forget about using my iPhone to control the 3311. But, I am a little concerned about the above issues on firmware upgrade status and that new feature / registration. Any ideas what's going on?

Jim

Found this on the Denon US web site for Airplay. You will probably need your Serial No,

To initiate the upgrade, please call our customer service line at 1-877-924-5818 between 9 to 5 EST, Monday to Friday.
post #10182 of 10436
Spager - thanks for the info. If I ever get this LAN connection stuff fixed I'm going to give them a call.
post #10183 of 10436
OK, back to the other problem - LAN connectivity. I had my 3311 set up to use DHCP and it was given 10.0.1.25. Neither the free app for Denon or Marantz apps could find it. So, I plunked down my $4.99 and paid for an app that looked pretty nice. Same &*&^&%$ problem - app does not see the Denon device. It sees my DirecTV receiver, but not the Denon. Changed the Ethernet cable. No luck. The "help" file for the new app sez to try connecting to the Denon via http://ip-address. So I give it http://10.0.1.25 and no joy there, either - Safari can't get to it. At least Safari and the three apps are consistent. I went into the 3311 networking menu and changed it to DHCP = Off. Set the IP address to 10.0.1.88. No joy again. I can ping that address, but the app and Safari say it is not there. WTF? I'm not a network expert, by a long shot. How can I be able to ping this address, but yet apps can't see it on the network?

Does this have something to do with the fact that my router is an Apple Airport Extreme, serving up a wireless network, and I'm plugged into one of the Ethernet ports on the back of it? I wouldn't think so, as the app sees the DirecTV device, and it is plugged into one of those ports, too.

Any ideas here?
post #10184 of 10436
Is the Network Standby set to ON?
post #10185 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic_D View Post

Is the Network Standby set to ON?

Yes.
post #10186 of 10436
sorry to not be of much help, my 3312 went down...

keep trying to get it to SEE your 3311, seems it took several tries for me
post #10187 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by W6JHB View Post

OK, back to the other problem - LAN connectivity. I had my 3311 set up to use DHCP and it was given 10.0.1.25. Neither the free app for Denon or Marantz apps could find it. So, I plunked down my $4.99 and paid for an app that looked pretty nice. Same &*&^&%$ problem - app does not see the Denon device. It sees my DirecTV receiver, but not the Denon. Changed the Ethernet cable. No luck. The "help" file for the new app sez to try connecting to the Denon via http://ip-address. So I give it http://10.0.1.25 and no joy there, either - Safari can't get to it. At least Safari and the three apps are consistent. I went into the 3311 networking menu and changed it to DHCP = Off. Set the IP address to 10.0.1.88. No joy again. I can ping that address, but the app and Safari say it is not there. WTF? I'm not a network expert, by a long shot. How can I be able to ping this address, but yet apps can't see it on the network?

Does this have something to do with the fact that my router is an Apple Airport Extreme, serving up a wireless network, and I'm plugged into one of the Ethernet ports on the back of it? I wouldn't think so, as the app sees the DirecTV device, and it is plugged into one of those ports, too.

Any ideas here?

Go to Manual Setup/ Network Setup/ Network Information and see if there is IP Adress and a Mac Address. If no Mac Address you may have a bad nic board. Try if you can to connect your modem directly to your avr and see if you have a Mac Address if you don't have one you may need to send it in for service.
post #10188 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by spager View Post

Go to Manual Setup/ Network Setup/ Network Information and see if there is IP Adress and a Mac Address. If no Mac Address you may have a bad nic board. Try if you can to connect your modem directly to your avr and see if you have a Mac Address if you don't have one you may need to send it in for service.

Got an IP address and a Mac address.
post #10189 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by W6JHB View Post

Got an IP address and a Mac address.

That is very good. Does your Internet Radio work on your avr? If not hook up your eithernet cable straight from the modem to avr and see if that will make it work.
post #10190 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by spager View Post

That is very good. Does your Internet Radio work on your avr? If not hook up your eithernet cable straight from the modem to avr and see if that will make it work.

Jeeze, sorry to be such a bonehead on this, but I have no idea how to do Internet Radio on this 3311. Not a lot of instruction in the user manual, and the www.radiodenon.com web site is even more vague. Can you give me some direction on doing this? Again, sorry.... frown.gif
post #10191 of 10436
Press the NET/USB button on your Remote
post #10192 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

Press the NET/USB button on your Remote

Ughhhh- I should have figured that one out! OK, I pressed the NET/USB and got "Please wait, connecting......" for several minutes and I finally went back to SAT/CBL. Turned off the 3311, took the Ethernet cable from the cable modem running to the Airport Extreme and moved it to the 3311. Powered on the 3311. Looked at Network Information and saw that the 3311 now had a 169.x.x.x IP address, along with it's Mac address. Pressed the NET/USB button. Same result as when connected to my router - "Please wait, connecting....". HOWEVER, I also noticed that in the "details" part of "Network Connecting" I still had some of the 10-network addressing stuff left over. If the 3311 is set to DHCP = ON, will the info in those fields be ignored? If not, then that might explain why I couldn't get NET/USB to work when connected to my cable modem, correct?

With the 169.x.x.x cable modem-assigned IP address, should I have similar addressing stuff for the network mask, DNS, etc. fields, or is that ignored if DHCP=ON?

Jeeze, this is frustrating!
post #10193 of 10436
FWIW on my home network I see no reason for DHCP for stuff that is always attached. My Netgear router makes it easy -- I first let DHCP run just to get an IP assigned, then on the Netgear I can set that address as reserved. On the other end be it Denon or anything else I then set the IP as static to whatever was assigned. I just think it removes one possible problem area that provides no benefit.

scott s.
.
post #10194 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott967 View Post

FWIW on my home network I see no reason for DHCP for stuff that is always attached. My Netgear router makes it easy -- I first let DHCP run just to get an IP assigned, then on the Netgear I can set that address as reserved. On the other end be it Denon or anything else I then set the IP as static to whatever was assigned. I just think it removes one possible problem area that provides no benefit.

scott s.
.

Scott, you are probably right about using a static address. However, the other IP address stuff that needs entering besides the one assigned to the 3311 isn't fully understood by my semi-networking brain. I did exchange email with the DeRemote App support folks and they tell me that their app works equally well with DHCP or static addressed A/V units. I may go static in the future, though.

In the mean time, still trying to figure out why my ping to the 3311 works but the Safari access does not.......
post #10195 of 10436
Try a network reset by holding the up/down arrow buttons on front panel while turning on the AVR until it flashes and reset your modem by unplugging and reconnect the avr directly to the modem. Then I would try using your Denon internet Radio to test for a reliable connection.
post #10196 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by spager View Post

Try a network reset by holding the up/down arrow buttons on front panel while turning on the AVR until it flashes and reset your modem by unplugging and reconnect the avr directly to the modem. Then I would try using your Denon internet Radio to test for a reliable connection.

Guys, sorry for the long delays between my replies / posts. We have a three week old premie baby here and I'm barely getting three hours sleep each night. Tough getting much other stuff done around home for the time being!!!

OK, I reset the 3311, powered off the cable modem, moved the Ethernet cable from the cable modem over to the 3311 and powered the 3311 back on. Then went to the NET/USB. No joy. It sits there with "Please wait, connecting......." till the cows come home. I checked the Internet addressing and all looks Do I need to take a hammer to the 3311? Ball peen or sledge? :-)
post #10197 of 10436
Call Denon when you can
post #10198 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

Call Denon when you can

With this unit being more than two years old what is the probability of Denon agreeing to fix the issue w/o whacking me several hundred dollars? If fixing this is going to cost me more than $50 or so, it isn't worth it to me. Don't need Internet Radio, and having control via an iPhone was only a "wow - that's cool and handy" item - not worth spending much money to resolve.
post #10199 of 10436
They may be able to solve your problem over the phone.

if not, 3 year Warranty if bought new from authorized dealer. Will only cost time & shipping. Took me about 2 weeks, or less, sent it to main repair in NJ.
post #10200 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanchoPanza View Post

They may be able to solve your problem over the phone.

if not, 3 year Warranty if bought new from authorized dealer. Will only cost time & shipping. Took me about 2 weeks, or less, sent it to main repair in NJ.

That sounds good, as mine is for sure under 3 years old. Currently fighting off a very nasty head cold - will try calling them in a couple days.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK