or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK - Page 7

post #181 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi dools767, the bass management is handled by the AVR so set the LowPass knob to "BYPASS", also set Phase to "0", set Sub Volume about half and then run Auto Setup.



Yes, anytime a setting is made on the Sub or even moving speakers or furnitures around Audyssey Setup should be rerun.
The Subwoofer Mode setting and LPF for LFE setting is found by clicking on "Speaker Config Check" and then "Bass Setting".



I have the PS3 Slim and have try both Bitstream and LPCM and I don't hear a difference (but others may disagree). I leave it on Bitstream because of the blue light .

Thanks I do notice an improvement in bass after setting the crossover to bypass as it had been about halfway. I notice that this time running the Audyssey setup the volume suggestion for my right sound was about a half of a decibel lower. Perhaps changing the subwoofer changed that?

One thing though I do have my PS3 slim set to bitstream but the light on my 3311 is green. Should it be blue? I am watching a Blu Ray with 6.1 DTS-HD master audio lossless and have it running in PLII Cinema mode.
post #182 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by dools767 View Post

One thing though I do have my PS3 slim set to bitstream but the light on my 3311 is green. Should it be blue? I am watching a Blu Ray with 6.1 DTS-HD master audio lossless and have it running in PLII Cinema mode.

I guess they change the color on the newer model.
post #183 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by dools767 View Post

One thing though I do have my PS3 slim set to bitstream but the light on my 3311 is green. Should it be blue? I am watching a Blu Ray with 6.1 DTS-HD master audio lossless and have it running in PLII Cinema mode.

There is no longer a "blue" HD Audio light on the 2011 models. The green light you are referring to is likely the Audyssey DSX light. Although if you are playing a DTS-HD MA surround track it should indicate that on the front panel display rather than PLII - Cinema (unless you have a 7.1 setup in which case it would read something like DTS (HD) PLIIx ).
post #184 of 10436
HI
I just ordered a 3311 from electronic expo.... I need to buy HDMI 1.4 certified cables for my new components. I usually buy all my cables from monoprice, but as of right now they dont carry any 1.4 CERTIFIED cables. Do anybody have any suggestion of where I should buy my cable from?? I dont want to spend an arm and leg for cables.... anything similar to monoprice's is fine. Thank you
post #185 of 10436
There is no such thing as HDMI 1.4 cables ... you simply need to buy the same Hi Speed HDMI cables that Monoprice has been selling for several years now. Cable mfr's have been warned to stop using HDMI 1.3 or HDMI 1.4 designation.

This from the HDMI.org:

Adopters will no longer be allowed to use HDMI specification version numbers in the labeling, packaging or promotion of their HDMI-compliant products. In the case of cable products, these restrictions are effective immediately. Non-cable products must comply with the new restrictions by January 1, 2012. These new requirements are designed to simplify the product selection process for consumers, enabling them to purchase an appropriate product based on features.

All HDMI cable products must be marketed and labeled as one of five types:

1.Standard HDMI Cable (720p/1080i or 2.25 Gbps)
2.Standard HDMI Cable with Ethernet
3.Standard Automotive HDMI Cable
4.High Speed HDMI Cable (1080p or 10.2 Gbps)
5.High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet


Denon has not enabled ethernet over HDMI at this point, so the same "hi speed" cables used with last year's Denon AVRs will still work with the new HDMI 1.4 AVRs.
post #186 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

On the Denon website.

Thanks,the reason I asked is the website I purchased from says 2 years.
post #187 of 10436
That's not as bad as the non-authorized vendors (e.g Buy.com) who indicate you still get Denon's warranty when purchasing from them. What site did you use?
post #188 of 10436
Just bought from Electronics-Expo, just couldn't pass up on the price, I wanted to buy from Crutchfield, I like their return policies etc but in this case flat out price just won out.

I am really looking forward to taking advantage of quite a few of the features over my very trusty / tried and true 2105, including the new codecs, HDMI, networking features, HD radio (there are some cool stations in LA), Audyssey, iPod

Speaking of HDMI cables, some of mine are a bit old can't remember which are, so I will probably be visiting Monoprice, now with running everything via HDMI my cable management is about to get really nice.

I will be paired up with my OPPO BDP-83 and my trusty NEC 50XR5 (hmmm that is probably next up)

Now the countdown begins.
post #189 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

There is no longer a "blue" HD Audio light on the 2011 models. The green light you are referring to is likely the Audyssey DSX light. Although if you are playing a DTS-HD MA surround track it should indicate that on the front panel display rather than PLII - Cinema (unless you have a 7.1 setup in which case it would read something like DTS (HD) PLIIx ).

JDS,

I do have a 5.1 setup.

According to the manual Dolby PLII is for 5.1-channel surround and this mode is when no front height speaker or surround back speaker is to be used. PLIIx and PLIIz is for 7.1. As a matter of fact on page 108 it states that DTS-HD master mode cannot be used if surround back or front is set to none, if I'm reading that correctly.

I have never seen my display say DTS-HD MA and have cycled through all various options. The only other mode I have seen on the display other than PLII - Cinema is DTS Neo: 6 Cinema.

Am I doing something wrong? It sounds real good in PLII cinema mode, how do I get it into DTS-HD?
post #190 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Before calling, you really need to try connecting the HDMI cable to each of the other HDMI inputs on the 3311 as that may solve your problem.

No luck. We see a great picture than lines, to green flickering, to snow, to nothing
post #191 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by dools767 View Post

I have never seen my display say DTS-HD MA and have cycled through all various options. The only other mode I have seen on the display other than PLII - Cinema is DTS Neo: 6 Cinema.

Am I doing something wrong? It sounds real good in PLII cinema mode, how do I get it into DTS-HD?

Do you have the DD TrueHD and DTS HD MA blocks checked off in the PS3 Sound settings?
post #192 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Do you have the DD TrueHD and DTS HD MA blocks checked off in the PS3 Sound settings?

Sorry I don't see those options in sound settings. I also tried video settings. I have a PS3 Slim.
post #193 of 10436
Sound Settings - Audio Output Settings - HDMI - Manual
post #194 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

That's not as bad as the non-authorized vendors (e.g Buy.com) who indicate you still get Denon's warranty when purchasing from them. What site did you use?

ABT,authorized according to denon.
post #195 of 10436
Just ordered a 3311 from Electronics Expo as well.

There's an error on Denon's site regarding warranty length:

On this page, it's 3 yrs:
http://usa.denon.com/AVReceiversSupp...mageField.y=11

However on this page, it's only 2 yrs:
http://www.usa.denon.com/WebWarrHOME-NEW-Apr07a.pdf

(The above page is linked to at the bottom of the 3311 product page at:
http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/5340.asp)

I also recall reading (in a press release or something) that warranties have been increased from 1 to 2 yrs for 2011 AVR models. However, if they're shipping with paperwork that says 3, they'll probably have to honor that, even if it's a typo.

By the way, could someone comment on the GUI for streaming music and internet radio? Is it a Denon interface or Windows 7-based? I'm wondering if there will be a way to play music without having to turn the TV on.

There are apps for the iPhone and Android to act as a remote interface for the Logitech squeezebox and it would be great to have something like this that's compatible with Denon avrs.
post #196 of 10436
ABT is indeed an authorized e-tailer. They just "assumed" the warranty would be the 2 years it's always been for many years. The increase to 3 years for CI models just started this year.
post #197 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

There is no such thing as HDMI 1.4 cables ... you simply need to buy the same Hi Speed HDMI cables that Monoprice has been selling for several years now. Cable mfr's have been warned to stop using HDMI 1.3 or HDMI 1.4 designation.


.

thank you for the information. Im going to call monoprice tomorrow.... but how about the audio return channel?? none of the cable on monoprice mention about that.... anh I think it is a great feature...
post #198 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by nguyenphananh View Post

thank you for the information. Im going to call monoprice tomorrow.... but how about the audio return channel?? none of the cable on monoprice mention about that.... anh I think it is a great feature...

Like jd mention, high speed HDMI cable from Monoprice. Its mention in the description box.
post #199 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Do you have the DD TrueHD and DTS HD MA blocks checked off in the PS3 Sound settings?

Thanks JDS, that did the trick it now says DTS MA. I wonder what it was doing before, it was still giving me surround sound. This is higher quality it seems.

Sometimes now it will say just Dolby Digital or Multi Channel on some movies.
post #200 of 10436
i was looking at the denon website 3311ci page under detailed specs page "Sound Modes" that this is a THX Ultra 2 certified unit, could this be a typo?

It also does not mention if this unit decodes DTS-HD High Resolution. So does anyone know if this decodes all 4 i.e Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD Master Audio and DTS-HD High Resolution? I know it does TrueHD and DTS-HD MA what about the other 2?

Does anyone know when Denon is releasing the ios app (ipod touch/ipad/iphone) for this unit or types of units?
post #201 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by googlegod View Post

What would you use "dual hdmi independent outputs" for. Yamaha is one of the worse for all channels driven, this unit if history means anything will only pump out 30 watts per channel X 7 20-20k

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm11 View Post

Thanx, but Yamaha just isnt Denon. No slight meant.

Guys just chill out. I was only point out that feature...
post #202 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by nguyenphananh View Post

thank you for the information. Im going to call monoprice tomorrow.... but how about the audio return channel?? none of the cable on monoprice mention about that.... anh I think it is a great feature...

ARC is a "feature" offered by a "component". For it to work, it must be a feature on both the TV and the AVR. An HDMI cable already offers two way communication. It's like a highway ... it's used to allow cars to travel from one place to another, however, it doesn't matter what kind of car it is.
post #203 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by dools767 View Post

Thanks JDS, that did the trick it now says DTS MA. I wonder what it was doing before, it was still giving me surround sound. This is higher quality it seems.

Sometimes now it will say just Dolby Digital or Multi Channel on some movies.

It was likely just sending the legacy DTS track. Some Blu-Rays are recorded in only DD or DTS. When a movie is already recorded in PCM (or you set the PS3 to LPCM vice bitstream), the front panel display will read "multi ch in".
post #204 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybernut2000 View Post

i was looking at the denon website 3311ci page under detailed specs page "Sound Modes" that this is a THX Ultra 2 certified unit, could this be a typo?

It also does not mention if this unit decodes DTS-HD High Resolution. So does anyone know if this decodes all 4 i.e Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD Master Audio and DTS-HD High Resolution? I know it does TrueHD and DTS-HD MA what about the other 2?

Past history has shown that Denon often has inconsistencies and errors in their spec pages. In this case, however, it is correct. They use the same spec page for every model so you're going to see features only offered on the upper level AVRs (eg. THX Ultra 2). You'll notice that there is no check mark or any writing in the column next to that feature which means it is NOT offered on the 3311.

Given the spec pages can be wrong .. you're much better off just checking the Owner's manual. On p. 108 it shows that all (4) of the audio tracks are indeed decoded by the 3311.
post #205 of 10436
does the 3311 have a game mode to reduce input lag when gaming?
post #206 of 10436
Thread Starter 
Well, Audyssey all set up, unit tweaked to fit my profiles and I have one word to describe this receiver- WOW!

This thing absolutely blows my Yamaha 663 out of the water. Much more immersive sound field and center channel clarity when watching movies. I assume most of the praise goes to Audyssey over YPAO (hated that setup), but the Denon really makes my surrounds especially clear and vibrant. With the Yamaha and YPAO, each speaker seemed to work independently. With the 3311, true harmony has been achieved!

The video upscaler doesn't play nice with my TW Samsung 3270, but I attribute that mainly to the Samsung. Dynamic EQ works great in my setup, but I'm still on the fence on if I need Dynamic Volume or not.
post #207 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

It was likely just sending the legacy DTS track. Some Blu-Rays are recorded in only DD or DTS. When a movie is already recorded in PCM (or you set the PS3 to LPCM vice bitstream), the front panel display will read "multi ch in".

I have a Motorola cable DVR box and it has two audio output settings, Dolby Digital (AC3) or PCM. It also has a dynamic range setting from narrow to wide. Would you suggest setting it to PCM and perhaps dynamic range for optimum quality? I notice since I changed it to PCM it says the PLII Cinema on the cable box as opposed to Dolby Digital.
post #208 of 10436
Out of curiosity, does any one received confirmation from Expo? I when through Amazon from whom I purchased it, but I don't see any shipping info..Just wondering, or rather a bit excited about getting my 3311


DJoel
post #209 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Out of curiosity, does any one received confirmation from Expo? I when through Amazon from whom I purchased it, but I don't see any shipping info..Just wondering, or rather a bit excited about getting my 3311


DJoel

The earliest they can ship is today, unless you ordered it early Friday. You'll probably see something this afternoon / evening. Patience.
post #210 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmondNut View Post

The earliest they can ship is today, unless you ordered it early Friday. You'll probably see something this afternoon / evening. Patience.

Thanks..Funny thing is they rip out the money as soon as I made the order on Sat/Sun?..Yup Patience, I do need some of that..

Djoel
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK