or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK - Page 11

post #301 of 10436
I've just experienced my first networking issue with 3311 although it may be more of a problem with their internet radio database than the receiver. If you have a chance please try this yourself.

Go to Internet Radio/Search Podcasts/Podcasts by Genre/ Technology/ CNet/ Buzz Out Loud and then try listening to a show. It doesn't load anything up and then it really fouls up the receiver networking and you can't access anything else until you restart the receiver. I was able to duplicate this issue and happens everytime.


It's too bad because Buzz Out Loud is one of the most popular technology podcasts and all of the other podcasts I've tested so far seem to work without a problem.
post #302 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbz View Post

Can you elaborate on the issue or do you have any pointers to info? I held off on the 3310 because I read the ps3 wouldn't send audio over hdmi to the receiver when the receiver is hooked up to a dvi tv. Is that the issue? I'm hoping it works now.

Yes, this issue was resolved with a firmware update back in January. AFAIK, it only impacted "some" older model DVI HDTV's. The fix should already be included in the 3311's firmware.
post #303 of 10436
My Sunday EE 3311 order shipped yesterday, and its expected arrival is tomorrow. Excitement is building!
post #304 of 10436
I also ordered one from EE on Saturday. I kept checking email yesterday for the shipping confirmation, but did not get anything. Then this morning I got a call from UPS saying a package was scheduled to be delivered today. I checked my email and saw a shipping notification from EE. So I got a call from UPS about delivery before I got the email from EE. Needless to say I am excited. This is the first piece in a complete overhaul of my current system. First step, new receiver. Second step, Seaton Submersive. Third, new speakers.

-Mike
post #305 of 10436
Well not to be left out..got my shipping notice today...but here on the very left coast it won't be here till next week...hopefully it is a gentle ride... but that's OK we got 40+ people coming over on the 4th and I better focus on that, if I know whats good for me
post #306 of 10436
GOT IT! Glad EE double boxed the receiver with plenty of those air packs, so folks who are concerned about any shipping shenanigans can rest assure, but again it's UPS we're taking about here. Also they put like 6 E Expo catalogs, cute!..

I can't wait for the work day to end, and plug this baby up..I've been without music for some time now , one of my mono blew out and it's in the shop.


Thanks again for the heads up on this deal, JD?

Djoel
post #307 of 10436
I'm running Polk LSI-15 fronts, LSI-C center, and LSI-7 for surrounds. They are all 4 ohm speakers. I don't listen that loud these days due to little ears in the house (8 week old and 20 month old). Am I going to need an amp? I currently run them on an Onkyo 703 and it seems to be adequate.
post #308 of 10436
It's really awesome when I can't get to the thread tools because some ad is in the way.
post #309 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesky View Post

It's really awesome when I can't get to the thread tools because some ad is in the way.

You can turn the Post Ads OFF by selecting the Quicklinks tab and then Edit Options ... look about 1/2 way down the page.
post #310 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpstrand View Post

I'm running Polk LSI-15 fronts, LSI-C center, and LSI-7 for surrounds. They are all 4 ohm speakers. I don't listen that loud these days due to little ears in the house (8 week old and 20 month old). Am I going to need an amp? I currently run them on an Onkyo 703 and it seems to be adequate.

Nope. An external amp would only be needed when you get to the point where you wanted to listen at reference level volume.
post #311 of 10436
Got mine up and running. Blown away by MultiEQ XT. I fired up some Pandora with my Blu Ray player and thought the center channel was on the imaging is so good.
post #312 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmondNut View Post

Got mine up and running. Blown away by MultiEQ XT. I fired up some Pandora with my Blu Ray player and thought the center channel was on the imaging is so good.



What did you have before the 3311, another older Denon?

Djoel
post #313 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

What did you have before the 3311, another older Denon?

Djoel

I returned a Pioneer 1020 for this. I don't think MCACC did as well of a job.

I really like the on-screen volume and GUI, but I can't get the on-screen volume to show up when using my Blu Ray player. Any ideas? The GUI shows up but replaces the video instead of overlaying over it. Anyone know why?
post #314 of 10436
is it a 3D player? the GUI / overlay will not work on 3D (as noted on pg 14 of the manual)

furthermore, the notes on pg 70 indicate that the scaler is also disabled with "deep color" (x.v.YCC) sources... some BDP's (like the LG BD390) always output x.v.YCC, which will knock out the scaler on the Denon (this was reported last year as well).
post #315 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

is it a 3D player? the GUI / overlay will not work on 3D (as noted on pg 14 of the manual)

furthermore, the notes on pg 70 indicate that the scaler is also disabled with "deep color" (x.v.YCC) sources... some BDP's (like the LG BD390) always output x.v.YCC, which will knock out the scaler on the Denon (this was reported last year as well).

Ah, yes, it is a BD570. Thanks. But I'm not playing 3D content.

Frankly I barely even looked at the manual and instead read your guide.
post #316 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

according to this: http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/...mageField.y=14

- the 1611 and 1911 have one AKM AK4358VQ 24-bit/192khz DAC per channel
- the 2311 and 3311 have the same DAC's but 2 per channel in a differential array

Just a quick clarification. The AKM AK4358VQ is a monolithic 8 channel DAC. The AVRs listed above may use either one or two DACs total -- not per channel.

AJ
post #317 of 10436
cool, thanks for the info.... makes sense
post #318 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmondNut View Post

Got mine up and running. Blown away by MultiEQ XT. I fired up some Pandora with my Blu Ray player and thought the center channel was on the imaging is so good.

Cool...but Ok silly question...why didn't you use the Pandora built in to 3311?
post #319 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvader View Post

Cool...but Ok silly question...why didn't you use the Pandora built in to 3311?

The interface is much much better on my Blu ray player.
post #320 of 10436
Got my confirmation today. So I should get it by next week. Didn't get an extended warranty as it comes with 3 yrs + my card throws in an additional year. The price I got is amazing. Now let's hope there is no drama with dos units , etc.
post #321 of 10436
I like my 3311ci.
post #322 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Yes, this issue was resolved with a firmware update back in January. AFAIK, it only impacted "some" older model DVI HDTV's. The fix should already be included in the 3311's firmware.

yayyyyyyy! Thanks for the info!
post #323 of 10436
I am having an remote issue with the menu button,why won`t it work most of the time on the remote with the on off button?? I have to go to source select then pick the source I am on then it works?
post #324 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by LORDLICH View Post

I am having an remote issue with the menu button,why won`t it work most of the time on the remote with the on off button?? I have to go to source select then pick the source I am on then it works?

Press the AMP button first.
post #325 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

is it a 3D player? the GUI / overlay will not work on 3D (as noted on pg 14 of the manual)

furthermore, the notes on pg 70 indicate that the scaler is also disabled with "deep color" (x.v.YCC) sources... some BDP's (like the LG BD390) always output x.v.YCC, which will knock out the scaler on the Denon (this was reported last year as well).

That seems to explain why the GUI/OSD replaces the video rather than overlay it when playing a BluRay on my LG BD390.

Why would the BD390 always output xvYCC? The wikipedia page for xvYCC says that Blu Ray doesn't even support xvYCC?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XvYCC

The BD390 does have another HDMI color setting called RGB (the other being YCbCr). When I switch the BD390's HDMI color setting to RBG, the Denon GUI/OSD does overlay the video over a BluRay disc (Alice in Wonderland). The video still looks very good when playing a BluRay. I don't see any difference in video quality or color space, particularly blacks.

Using the RGB setting on the BD390, the Denon's HDMI Information menu shows the Color Space is RGB 4:4:4 with a pixed Depth of 12 bit.

When using the YCbCr setting on the BD390, the Denon's HDMI Information menu shows a color space of x.v.Color and no specified Pixel Depth.

What am I "losing" by using the BD 390's RGB setting rather than YCbCr? The wikipedia page seems to say I'm potentially losing 45% of the color gamut. But if Blu Ray and DVD don't even support deep color, what benefit is it for a Blu Ray player like the BD390 (or newer 570/590)? I'd prefer to see the Denon's HDMI GUI overlay, specifically for the volume.

Doug
post #326 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaltby View Post

That seems to explain why the GUI/OSD replaces the video rather than overlay it when playing a BluRay on my LG BD390.

Why would the BD390 always output xvYCC? The wikipedia page for xvYCC says that Blu Ray doesn't even support xvYCC?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XvYCC

The BD390 does have another HDMI color setting called RGB (the other being YCbCr). When I switch the BD390's HDMI color setting to RBG, the Denon GUI/OSD does overlay the video over a BluRay disc (Alice in Wonderland). The video still looks very good when playing a BluRay. I don't see any difference in video quality or color space, particularly blacks.

Using the RGB setting on the BD390, the Denon's HDMI Information menu shows the Color Space is RGB 4:4:4 with a pixed Depth of 12 bit.

When using the YCbCr setting on the BD390, the Denon's HDMI Information menu shows a color space of x.v.Color and no specified Pixel Depth.

What am I "losing" by using the BD 390's RGB setting rather than YCbCr? The wikipedia page seems to say I'm potentially losing 45% of the color gamut. But if Blu Ray and DVD don't even support deep color, what benefit is it for a Blu Ray player like the BD390 (or newer 570/590)? I'd prefer to see the Denon's HDMI GUI overlay, specifically for the volume.

Doug

Great post. Thanks for the info. I await the answer as well. I have a BD570.

Edit: if I change my BD570 to RGB, the Denon's menu still does not overlay over the home screen of the BD570. I haven't tried playing a disc. Do you get the menu and volume overlays over the home screen?
post #327 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmondNut View Post

Frankly I barely even looked at the manual and instead read your guide.

Why? The manual offers alot of good information that, frankly, would prevent alot of questions in these threads if folks just took some time to read through it.
post #328 of 10436
Very newbee question but the 3311 does decode bitstream audio from the PS3 slim?
post #329 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmondNut View Post

Great post. Thanks for the info. I await the answer as well. I have a BD570.

Edit: if I change my BD570 to RGB, the Denon's menu still does not overlay over the home screen of the BD570. I haven't tried playing a disc. Do you get the menu and volume overlays over the home screen?

Yes, I get the Denon's GUI/OSD menus and volume overlay over the BD390's menus when HDMI color setting is RGB. I know the BD570 has a different GUI than the 390 (part of why I stayed with the 390) but I wouldn't expect that to be an issue. My other BD390 display settings are 16:9 Original, 1080p (not auto), 60hz mode and RGB. I don't know if you have equivalent settings on the 570, but if so, try them to see if that works for you.

Edit: note that I also have the i/p scaler on the 3311 set on for both HDMI and analog signals under the Input Setup menu. I switched back and forth and it didn't seem to make a difference. Both the "analog" and "analog and HDMI" settings still displayed the GUI/OSD.
post #330 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Why? The manual offers alot of good information that, frankly, would prevent alot of questions in these threads if folks just took some time to read through it.

Haha I guess I heard so many bad things about Denon's "horrible" manuals I didn't bother. I guess I should.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK