or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK - Page 14

post #391 of 10436
right, the limiting factor is NOT the number of amps, it's the number of available CHANNELS of independent processing. Adding more amps will not change the fact that the unit can only process 7 channels at one time; only the 4810 can actually process 11 channels at once.
post #392 of 10436
batpig............I'll give it a try this weekend.

DreamCatcher
post #393 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post

I'm disappointed by this info re component output but thanks for posting it.

One thing you didn't mention is how well component --> HDMI scaling worked. That still allows for component in. Maybe the veiling is in the output side of the 3311CI rather than the input side?

Right now I'm using component with an older Yamaha A/V receiver with my TiVo HD. There have been previous reports of HDMI handshaking difficulties with the TiVo, so I wanted to have the component path available as a backup in case I ran into those same problems with the 3311CI. Oh well.

Once I get my batch of cables I'll test the different connection scenarios and compare it with the DVP-602CI Realta based video processor. It should be interesting.
post #394 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

right, the limiting factor is NOT the number of amps, it's the number of available CHANNELS of independent processing. Adding more amps will not change the fact that the unit can only process 7 channels at one time; only the 4810 can actually process 11 channels at once.

I think it boils down to the number of D/A converters and the analog hardware being limited to 8 channels. The (digital) processing would probably work just fine with the additional channels produced by Audyssey, although some limitations might apply if the DSP is maxed out (like for example the fact that the DSP simulation modes cannot be used at the same time as HD decoders).
post #395 of 10436
Computer boob here, so how easy, or better said difficult to set up the Networking feature..

I've read the manual a few times, and still do get the turning off the dhcp, or should it be on? I assume it would do it automatically,according to the manual. If not where do I get my IP address???

I've own a Logictech transport which automatically found the IP,and my Apple TV seem simple as well...This I'm not getting.

Btw on an up beat note...I'm loving the way this unit sounds, (cliche' alert) even my sensitive to prolong music listening GF, has mention several times she like the sound of the 3311ci..And even said not to go changing this device any time soon, with a cute but treating scrunched up face!

DJoel
post #396 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

I've read the manual a few times, and still do get the turning off the dhcp, or should it be on? I assume it would do it automatically,according to the manual. If not where do I get my IP address???

I don't have mine yet to confirm, but I can say with 99% certainty that assuming you have a router (i.e. a box that more than one computer can plug into that in turn plugs into your internet connection) all you should have to do is plug the Denon into your network, and poof, you're online.

DHCP is what hands out IP addresses to other devices on your network, and your router should be performing this function automatically. Without reading the manual, what it is probably describing is if you don't have DHCP, then you would need to manually assign an IP address... not hard, but shouldn't be necessary in most cases.

If it is necessary in your case (unlikely) then I can provide more detail.
post #397 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by [KYA]Mega View Post

I don't have mine yet to confirm, but I can say with 99% certainty that assuming you have a router (i.e. a box that more than one computer can plug into that in turn plugs into your internet connection) all you should have to do is plug the Denon into your network, and poof, you're online.

DHCP is what hands out IP addresses to other devices on your network, and your router should be performing this function automatically. Without reading the manual, what it is probably describing is if you don't have DHCP, then you would need to manually assign an IP address... not hard, but shouldn't be necessary in most cases.

If it is necessary in your case (unlikely) then I can provide more detail.



Yup that's what's worrying me, I connected the Cat5/phone type cable out from the router & in to the 3311 and still no go I'll double check everything to make sure...Thanks



Hey Mega when are you getting yours again?

Djoel
post #398 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Yup that's what's worrying me, I connected the Cat5/phone type cable out from the router & in to the 3311 and still no go I'll double check everything to make sure...Thanks



Hey Mega when are you getting yours again?

Djoel

i found sometimes you have to just reset your router,
so just unplug the power from your router and modem for 15 secs then
plug in this order, modem wait 15secs then router, no need to turn off your pc or anthing, as well make sure you are using cat 5e or cat6 straight cable if you are using a patch or cross over it will not work,
post #399 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

possibly.... but in the Audyssey "start" screen there is now a menu that allows you to tell Audyssey in advance which speakers you can measure (this was there in prior models) but now it has separate options for "measure/skip" for all the "extra" speakers. And the person who PM'd me confirmed that it can "ping" more than one set as it cycles through.

So, in theory, if Audyssey has already measured the speakers and calculated filters for them, there would be no need for it to prompt you to re-run when switching modes...

You are correct that we need some people to test this out. Who has extra speakers lying around and wants to be a guinea pig

OK batpig........ I set up Front Height speakers and re-ran Audyssey.
The 3311 indeed does EQ the Front Height speakers as it's EQ'g the rest of the system, Fronts, Center, Side Surrounds and Back Surrounds and of course the Subwoofer. Once Audyssey is ran you can select with surround mode you want to use for each type of input signal or even switch on the fly as you go. (ie switch from DPLIIx to DPLIIz which enables the Front Heights and disables the Back Surrounds).
Pretty cool stuff..........
and something not available on the previous generation 3310/4310.

DreamCatcher
post #400 of 10436
Does it also work when using the DSX - Front Height mode as well?
post #401 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme22 View Post

i found sometimes you have to just reset your router,
so just unplug the power from your router and modem for 15 secs then
plug in this order, modem wait 15secs then router, no need to turn off your pc or anthing, as well make sure you are using cat 5e or cat6 straight cable if you are using a patch or cross over it will not work,

Thanks I just did the hard reboot..No luck either, I checked out the networking status, and it says no denon product on the same network found..

Hmm.

Djoel
post #402 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Does it also work when using the DSX - Front Height mode as well?

Yes it does, but you can't select DSX when in DPLIIz mode, you have to be in DPLIIx mode.
Initially I'd say DSX Height is my least favorite mode of the three available,
DPLIIx, DPLIIz, DSX........
DSX mode seems to add an echo to voices that the DPLIIz mode doesn't.
If I had to pick a favorite mode right now I'd give the nod to DPLIIx with
DPLIIz close behind.

DreamCatcher
post #403 of 10436
But you haven't tried the "wide" setup yet which Audyssey claims is the best of the three configurations.
post #404 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Thanks I just did the hard reboot..No luck either, I checked out the networking status, and it says no denon product on the same network found..

Hmm.

Djoel

Hi Djoel, try turning the receiver in "Standby" mode (Off) and turning it back on.
post #405 of 10436
I'm very impressed with the speed at which the 3311 can switch between modes as the input signal changes... like from a 2 channel signal to a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal, the 3311 is so fast that you don't miss a word or a beat.

DreamCatcher
post #406 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

But you haven't tried the "wide" setup yet which Audyssey claims is the best of the three configurations.

No, not with the 3311.
I did try Wide speakers when I had the 4810 in my system.
I didn't care for it, it spread dialog out too far losing some of the imaging.
YMMV
DreamCatcher
post #407 of 10436
Interesting. That must be why the center speaker must in the setup in order for DSX mode to be used. Thanks for the feedback.
post #408 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi Djoel, try turning the receiver in "Standby" mode (Off) and turning it back on.

You mean just pressing the standby button to off, or turning completely off? Don't know how to do that exactly, I don't see any wording on the remote. I believe the Onkyo's can be turn completely off.

I'm going to disconnect the power cord, and see what happens..

Thanks

Djoel
post #409 of 10436
Got my 3311 delivered and I installed yesterday. Ran Audyssey today and WOW This thing sounds great.

One question, how do you disable the Video Convert for just one input? When I turn Video Convert off for Video Select (BD) it turns it off for all of the inputs???
post #410 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrade Lately? View Post

Got my 3311 delivered and installed yesterday. Ran Audyssey today and WOW This thing sounds great.

One question, how do you disable the Video Convert for just one input? When I turn Video Convert off for Video Select (BD) it turns it off for all of the inputs???

I believe it's all or nothing. That is, you can't turn it on or off per input.
post #411 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrade Lately? View Post

Got my 3311 delivered and installed yesterday. Ran Audyssey today and WOW This thing sounds great.

One question, how do you disable the Video Convert for just one input? When I turn Video Convert off for Video Select (BD) it turns it off for all of the inputs???



I'll keeps asking this, so what did you have before this AVR?

At the moment I'm playing a thumb drive on the usb port, and even though I can do this on my Oppo..I tend to like it more straight out of the denon..Less confusing from the interface..

DJoel
post #412 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

I'll keeps asking this, so what did you have before this AVR?

At the moment I'm playing a thumb drive on the usb port, and even though I can do this on my Oppo..I tend to like it more straight out of the denon..Less confusing from the interface..

DJoel

I had a Yamaha RX-V2400 before the Denon 3311. The Yamaha was good for its time, but this Denon blows it away!
post #413 of 10436
DJoel can you try a straight connection from your modem to the receiver,
and see if you can connect, if you can connect then there might be a ip issue with your router
how far is your router to your receiver? and are you running a long ethernet cable?

what is the model of your receiver?
post #414 of 10436
Recieved the 3311 yesterday and thought I would have it mastered by now, I was wrong. I managed to get the 5.1 + front wides working and run Audyssey. The result is a little flat, the highs need a boost. Can someone point me in the right direction?
post #415 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Do you have the DD TrueHD and DTS HD MA blocks checked off in the PS3 Sound settings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dools767 View Post

Thanks JDS, that did the trick it now says DTS MA. I wonder what it was doing before, it was still giving me surround sound. This is higher quality it seems.

Sometimes now it will say just Dolby Digital or Multi Channel on some movies.


Hey guys.. my first home theater system here so I am learning a lot... just hooked up my 3311 a day ago...

I have my PS3 (phat, got it on release day) but when I go into settings > audio output settings > hdmi > manual... the only check boxes I see which are already checked are Dolby Digital 5.1 Ch and DTS 5.1 CH then all the Linear PCM boxes from 2 Ch all the way down to 7.1 Ch... I don't see any settings for DD TrueHD or DTS HD MA..

I have a 5.1 speaker system hooked up.. is there something I am missing? thanks!
post #416 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

You mean just pressing the standby button to off, or turning completely off? Don't know how to do that exactly, I don't see any wording on the remote. I believe the Onkyo's can be turn completely off.

I'm going to disconnect the power cord, and see what happens..

Thanks

Djoel

Djoel,

Assuming have a normal router from your ISP (what are you on TWC/VERIZON? What Kind of Router can you see the Name / Model?) DHCP on the 3311 should definitely be ON, unless you have some reason to manually set IP Address (probably not). You said you have a BDP-83, it should work the same.

Make sure DHCP is ON, then if it doesn't work

unplug (AC Plug) the router and the Denon...wait a minutes or so, power up the router, wait until you can browse the web on your PC to make sure the router is fully up then power up the Denon.

Let us know if it works.
post #417 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by golo View Post

Hey guys.. my first home theater system here so I am learning a lot... just hooked up my 3311 a day ago...

I have my PS3 (phat, got it on release day) but when I go into settings > audio output settings > hdmi > manual... the only check boxes I see which are already checked are Dolby Digital 5.1 Ch and DTS 5.1 CH then all the Linear PCM boxes from 2 Ch all the way down to 7.1 Ch... I don't see any settings for DD TrueHD or DTS HD MA..

I have a 5.1 speaker system hooked up.. is there something I am missing? thanks!

the ps3 sets it self to the standard setting via hdmi, you can pretty much check what your receiver will be able to run
post #418 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmondNut View Post

I believe it's all or nothing. That is, you can't turn it on or off per input.

Video processing can be set different per input.
You need to have the input that you want to adjust selected before you go into the video menus to set video convert, scaling, etc.......
This process was covered well a few pages back in this thread.

DreamCatcher
post #419 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by jctlog View Post

Recieved the 3311 yesterday and thought I would have it mastered by now, I was wrong. I managed to get the 5.1 + front wides working and run Audyssey. The result is a little flat, the highs need a boost. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Poor audio, flat or otherwise, after running Audyssey is usually due to a poor running of Audyssey. Look up batpigs website for tips and tricks to get the right results from Audyssey.......

DreamCatcher
post #420 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Hey Mega when are you getting yours again?

Tuesday. Darn holiday. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme22 View Post

...make sure you are using cat 5e or cat6 straight cable if you are using a patch or cross over it will not work,

I think you may be confusing some terms... a patch cable just means a cable with an RJ45 at each end... and that is fine. But true, that a crossover cable would not work.

Djoel,

Can you provide the following details in order for us to help troubleshoot a bit more:

1. What Internet Service Provider (ISP) do you have (Time Warner, U-Verse, etc)?

2. Describe exactly what is plugged into what with.

For example, mine will be:

Cable from wall -> U-Verse box -> Netgear Router (with WiFi) -> D-Link Switch -> Denon.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK