or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK - Page 200

post #5971 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Bump the fronts to 60hz as well ... then after listening for a couple weeks try bumping them all up to 80hz and see which you prefer ... all at 60 or 80.

I've made the same adjustments and stereo mode now sounds great! Many thanks.
post #5972 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

In this particular case I would agree, an external amp "may" be helpful, however, I also believe that the placebo effect is in play in that if I just paid $800 for an EMO amp, then I'm definitely going to want to "believe" it sounds better otherwise how else would I justify spending the extra $800?

As SOM said a few posts back ... we'll be interested in your feedback after you receive the XPA-5.

You will get the feedback in regards to SQ with my Honest Personal Opinion w/o any buyers remorse, but remember I like you do not have a $45,000 AP tester either -- so no test data will be available. Ah, placebo effect... go over to some of the amp forums, and hang there for a while, there is no placebo effect, as most just want more POWER than what is available today in multi ch. amps. and certainly with their existing 15Amp ccts. of which most have still. In fact, many are upgrading and putting in a separate 20Amp cct. -- Never enough for some people, which is A.O.K. with me.
post #5973 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by NittanyLouie View Post

I've made the same adjustments and stereo mode now sounds great! Many thanks.

JDS, I have tried that, but SQ is a lot better at matching them to the efficient Klipsch Xovers at 40 fronts, and 60 center/surrounds here.
post #5974 of 10436
JDS -- Here ya go, not many XPA's for sale since most are SOLD, wonder why?

Emotiva XPA-5 200W x 5 Amplifier Amp-Multi Sold
Emotiva XPA-3 new in box Amp-Multi $620.00
Emotiva Upa 5 Amp-Multi $480.00
Emotiva UPA-5 new in box Amp-Multi $500.00
Emotiva UPA-2 New in Box-$325 Amp-Solid Sold
Emotiva XPA-2 Stereo Amplifier Amp-Solid Sold
Emotiva UPA-2 with black trim pieces Amp-Solid Sold
Emotiva XPA-2 Excellent condition Amp-Solid $650.00
Emotiva XPA-1 mono blocks pair free shipping Amp-Solid Sold
Emotiva ERC-1 upgraded! CD-Player Sold
Emotiva UMC-1 Surr Proc Sold
Emotiva UMC-1 7.1 Channel Pre/Pro plus amp Surr Proc Sold
post #5975 of 10436
Merely a suggestion ... personal preference determines the best crossover settings in the end.
post #5976 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenPureSound View Post

Ah, placebo effect... go over to some of the amp forums, and hang there for a while, there is no placebo effect

oh, OK, I guess because you say so then it must be true!

nothing like a forum with a bunch of people coenabling each others' purchases of beefy amplifiers to prevent any possibility of placebo effect!

look -- SOME people need extra amplification... some people don't! It's pretty simple! If you are happy with your purchase then good lord enjoy it!!! But don't try and tell others that they NEED extra amplification when they don't....
post #5977 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenPureSound View Post

JDS -- Here ya go, not many XPA's for sale since most are SOLD, wonder why?

Emotiva XPA-5 200W x 5 Amplifier Amp-Multi Sold
Emotiva XPA-3 new in box Amp-Multi $620.00
Emotiva Upa 5 Amp-Multi $480.00
Emotiva UPA-5 new in box Amp-Multi $500.00
Emotiva UPA-2 New in Box-$325 Amp-Solid Sold
Emotiva XPA-2 Stereo Amplifier Amp-Solid Sold
Emotiva UPA-2 with black trim pieces Amp-Solid Sold
Emotiva XPA-2 Excellent condition Amp-Solid $650.00
Emotiva XPA-1 mono blocks pair free shipping Amp-Solid Sold
Emotiva ERC-1 upgraded! CD-Player Sold
Emotiva UMC-1 Surr Proc Sold
Emotiva UMC-1 7.1 Channel Pre/Pro plus amp Surr Proc Sold

WHY... BECAUSE THEY DON'T COST MUCH
post #5978 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

oh, OK, I guess because you say so then it must be true!

nothing like a forum with a bunch of people coenabling each others' purchases of beefy amplifiers to prevent any possibility of placebo effect!

look -- SOME people need extra amplification... some people don't! It's pretty simple! If you are happy with your purchase then good lord enjoy it!!! But don't try and tell others that they NEED extra amplification when they don't....

BatPig -- I am NOT saying all need another AMP to drive their spkrs. at all. Sorry, was busy technically discussing Amps with ParaSound -- Richard at Parasound doesn't care if I or you buy his amp or not, as he has a ton of customers as you know in the recording/film industries, and Dolby also, etc. that are purchasing them daily -- many do have a reason to purchase them. If AVR owners are Happy with that alone, that is all they need then, right? BTW-- Parasound tested Denon and was only able to get 60W RMS with 2 Ch. driven is what they state, and as I stated they don't care if you buy an amp or not, but that is a pure FACT. Amp or No Separate Amp who cares, it's totally up to each and every owner personally. Separate AMP case CLOSED!
post #5979 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by BopMan View Post

WHY... BECAUSE THEY DON'T COST MUCH

AND MOST WANT TO SPEND THEIR HARD EARNED $ ON SOMETHING WORTH WHILE, MAKING ENHANCEMENTS TO THEIR SQ WITH MORE THAN JUST COSMETICS PURCHASING JUST A BETTER CABLE IN THE CATEGORY OF LIES!

Ah, Santa send me one of these Early this Yr... Please:

Parasound A51 flagship 5 channel! brand new!
Asking $3000.00 obo
New Retail $4500.00

But, if you can get it for $2500, is it worth it? Sure would be nice letting the Denon AVR-3311CI drive it.
post #5980 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenPureSound View Post

AND MOST WANT TO SPEND THEIR HARD EARNED $ ON SOMETHING WORTH WHILE, MAKING ENHANCEMENTS TO THEIR SQ WITH MORE THAN JUST COSMETICS PURCHASING JUST A BETTER CABLE IN THE CATEGORY OF LIES!

Ah, Santa send me one of these Early this Yr... Please:

Parasound A51 flagship 5 channel! brand new!
Asking $3000.00 obo
New Retail $4500.00

But, if you can get it for $2500, is it worth it? Sure would be nice letting the Denon AVR-3311CI drive it.


The A51 would be nice but I wouldn't buy an expensive amp because of power... I would buy it for SQ. I looked back at your post and I must be missing something... it sounds like all you want is something that will make your ears bleed(?) For me, I want something that sounds good and I don't care about all those test specs... I want to be able to listen to something for hours without getting a headache. That's my 2 cents.
post #5981 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by BopMan View Post

The A51 would be nice but I wouldn't buy an expensive amp because of power... I would buy it for SQ. I looked back at your post and I must be missing something... it sounds like all you want is something that will make your ears bleed(?) For me, I want something that sounds good and I don't care about all those test specs... I want to be able to listen to something for hours without getting a headache. That's my 2 cents.

Yes, your right on and I am all for SQ Enhancement, but remember we didn't go to the moon by just saying we want to, and then strapping a rocket onto our backs, and forgetting all the test specs is just plain Failure, that is why they have numbers, and then more numbers.
post #5982 of 10436
Injecting a little humor into the title.

Question is concerning Net streaming audio being heard softly through the fronts when one of the HDMI inputs is selected but that source is powered off. This is occurring with any of the HDMI inputs selected. When the HDMI device is powered on, the Net audio ceases.

HDMI Control off/on state has no effect and same with Standby Source.

I don't recall this happening before the last (recent) update.

Ideas?
post #5983 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolplazma View Post

Injecting a little humor into the title.

Question is concerning Net streaming audio being heard softly through the fronts when one of the HDMI inputs is selected but that source is powered off. This is occurring with any of the HDMI inputs selected. When the HDMI device is powered on, the Net audio ceases.

Normal.

Wish that wasn't true, but....

Normal.
post #5984 of 10436
The AVR-3311CI doesn't have flash memory? I had it unplugged for a couple of hours while I rearranged wiring.

When I plugged it back it, in apparently lost all my settings, including my Audyssey calibration.

Currently trying to restore my settings from backup with little luck. Just says "loading" infinitely, never completes. The web interface says "the connection to the server was reset while the page was loading". After that, the web UI is unavailable for several minutes. And after that, it's EXTREMALLY slow! Like 30 seconds for any setup page to appear.

The ultimate insult is that I can't change any settings through the web interface. They just change right back when I change them. I assume I'll have to set everything back up using the remote and on-screen menu.

At this point, considering an eBay sale and another brand.

Anybody want to buy an AVR-3311CI? PM me. As-is. POS.
post #5985 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtara View Post

Normal.

Wish that wasn't true, but....

Normal.

don't have even hint of that.
post #5986 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenPureSound View Post

JDS -- Here ya go, not many XPA's for sale since most are SOLD, wonder why?

Emotiva XPA-5 200W x 5 Amplifier Amp-Multi Sold
Emotiva XPA-3 new in box Amp-Multi $620.00
Emotiva Upa 5 Amp-Multi $480.00
Emotiva UPA-5 new in box Amp-Multi $500.00
Emotiva UPA-2 New in Box-$325 Amp-Solid Sold
Emotiva XPA-2 Stereo Amplifier Amp-Solid Sold
Emotiva UPA-2 with black trim pieces Amp-Solid Sold
Emotiva XPA-2 Excellent condition Amp-Solid $650.00
Emotiva XPA-1 mono blocks pair free shipping Amp-Solid Sold
Emotiva ERC-1 upgraded! CD-Player Sold
Emotiva UMC-1 Surr Proc Sold
Emotiva UMC-1 7.1 Channel Pre/Pro plus amp Surr Proc Sold

BECAUSE THEY'RE CHEAP! MY GOD! It cost NOTHING in comparison to an expensive elite name to try out an Emotiva amp and if it doesn't do for a person like they think it will, then they can sell it to someone else! It simple. Of course it's going t be easier to sell a power amp @ $500 vs one that runs $7000.

"Hmmm duh, I'm thinking about a power amp but just don't know. Duh-uh-uh should I spend $14,000 to see if I like one or $600?"

I've come to the conclusion that you're just one of "those". One of "those" people easily drawn in by numbers and bloated claims a.k.a. snake oil. They say they can see a sucker coming a mile away. The salesmen wherever you shop must bare-knuckle brawl to see who gets to serve you when they see you driving up.


Does this forum have an ignore list? It really needs one.
post #5987 of 10436
After sitting in the living room since Christmas (wasn't looking forward to tearing my system apart) I finally broke down and started rebuilding around my 3311ci. On startup it offered to update firmware and I did it, took about 20-25 min I guess. Did an initial setup, all seems well at this point. Playing around in different modes/sources. I use mediamonkey to manage my digi audio media, and realized that they have a beta out with a DLNA server in it, so thought I would give it a try. The 3311 sees the server but can't get at any files. It works OK with WMP12 on a different computer so I'm guessing it's the mediamonkey. I wish there was a way to keep the display of the track data/cover art on continuously on my monitor/TV but I guess 30 sec is the max you can set? I don't see the purpose of going to "black" on the display.

Also, is there some way to turn off the notice about the airplay feature upgrade without turning off all upgrade notices (I guess I assume there might be other things in the future worth seeing)?

scott s.
.
post #5988 of 10436
PS- My Monitor 9's arrived finally after traveling to hell and back. Oh my lovely Paradigms with their 96db sensitivity rating. Coupled with the 3311. Louder than HELL. And precise and clean. No purple smoke here.
post #5989 of 10436
When I update the firmware will I loose all my settings, calibration, input settings, ect..?
post #5990 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

When I update the firmware will I loose all my settings, calibration, input settings, ect..?

No
All will be as you left it.
post #5991 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

When I update the firmware will I loose all my settings, calibration, input settings, ect..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattrix View Post

No
All will be as you left it.

Yes, you will lose most, if not all off your settings, calibration settings will be erased. You can do a backup of your current setting via the web interface, then reload after the update.
post #5992 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post

Yes, you will lose most, if not all off your settings, calibration settings will be erased. You can do a backup of your current setting via the web interface, then reload after the update.



I have updated my firmware twice now and never lost any of my settings or my Audessy calibration.
post #5993 of 10436
Yeah, I would love someone to confirm that Audyssey
settings get erased during firmware updates.

I hope that is not true as I have updated my receiver
twice since doing my initial calibration.
post #5994 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamanteus View Post


I've come to the conclusion that you're just one of "those". One of "those" people easily drawn in by numbers and bloated claims a.k.a. snake oil. They say they can see a sucker coming a mile away. The salesmen wherever you shop must bare-knuckle brawl to see who gets to serve you when they see you driving up.

Does this forum have an ignore list? It really needs one.

I hear you on that. I wonder if this guy realizes that he's saying all test results are lies except for those that have been provided by the amp manufacturers that sell so many amps they don't care if you believe them or not.
post #5995 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbutters View Post




I have updated my firmware twice now and never lost any of my settings or my audessy calibration.

+1
post #5996 of 10436
Hmmm an amp guy doing a power test on an avr ???
post #5997 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by centauro74 View Post

+1

You won't lose your Audyssey settings but you will lose all your favorite internet radio stations. This has happened to me twice.
post #5998 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by spager View Post

Hmmm an amp guy doing a power test on an avr ???

I'm confused. If you wanted more power for you core speaker set ( not other zones) wouldn't you just buy the 43xx, 48xx, or 53xx in the first place unless your are an audio fanatic and do separates?
post #5999 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3angels View Post

Hey everyone,

Just joined. First post.

I received my new Denon 3311 last week. On opening the brand new sealed box, it seemed like this receiver was not brand new! The bags that the remotes/antenna came in were already ripped open, the remotes were dusty and had fingerprints and the manual's first page had a fold in it. When I took out the receiver, there were 2 strands of speaker wire connected at the back. Really disappointing. I called the denon dealer that I bought it from and they told me to use it until they got me a "new" one - should be next week.

I also wanted to add that the receiver didnt do any updates when I first plugged it in to the network... so something really was wrong! Anyways my NEW 3311 is finally here! I pick it up this evening. Now I will be able to login to radiodenon.com
post #6000 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealDeal1 View Post

I'm confused. If you wanted more power for you core speaker set ( not other zones) wouldn't you just buy the 43xx, 48xx, or 53xx in the first place unless your are an audio fanatic and do separates?

not necessarily, because the power increase between a mid-level and high-level AVR is still minimal compared to getting an external amp. Buying a more expensive AVR for extra power isn't a wise use of money, the power gains are like 10-20W/ch potentially which is basically nothing when talking about usable headroom.

pairing up a 3311ci with an inexpensive powerful amp (e.g. Emo XPA-5 for $799) will give you at least twice as much usable power as a 4311 or 4810 (especially if you have speakers with low impedance dips) for similar total cost outlay. Even a high-end receiver will struggle to maintain 100+ W/ch with all channels driven, whereas an XPA-5 will easily meet its specs (200W/ch), and the difference will be larger with lower impedance speakers.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK