or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK - Page 329

post #9841 of 10436
It just depends on how the devices interact with each other using HDMI-CEC. Generally it works for powering OFF the devices but not so much powering them on. You may want to consider using a smart power strip.

http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Strip-Protector-Autoswitching-Technology/dp/B0006PUDQK
post #9842 of 10436
Thank you for the quick response. OK, what about shutting system OFF only if I power of HTPC? Will it work through HDMI? and how?
post #9843 of 10436
I've got a weird issue with my 3311. I can't seem to change a lot of the options in the menu. They don't have the > on the right side of the option indicating I can press Enter and change them. For example I can't really do anything in the Network setup menu except turn Upgrade/Update notifications on or off.

Is this a known issue? I've tried network reset, microprocessor reset, no luck.

If I have to send it in, is Denon pretty quick with turnaround?
post #9844 of 10436
in theory, if the PC supports HDMI-CEC then you could achieve something like what you desire, but this technology is really flaky and you may not get the desired results. Your best bet is a universal remote that will allow you to turn the whole system on/off with one button.
post #9845 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

You may need to add a fan to exhaust the heat from the top of the AVR. What is the distance from the AVR to the PJ? If > 20' you may also need to add an HDMI repeater (Monoprice).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmscs View Post

Thanks. I do have a feeling it's heat-related. Now with this you confirm the heat issue and also point out the distance issue. I'll look and see if i can improve both conditions per your suggestion. My PJ is connected via a 35 feet HDMI and yes the cabinet area does seem to cause some airflow blockage.
Will update later if anything improves.
Thanks a lot!

So i bought an HDMI Extender from monoprice and added it from the 3311 to the projector. I have not experienced the same problem, at least not yet, but i did experience handshake problems which is fine because the equipments just have to be turned on in correct sequences. Will come back and update after some time.
post #9846 of 10436
Thanks for reporting back with your results. smile.gif
post #9847 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Thanks for reporting back with your results. smile.gif

I talked too soon. Since yesterday the signal loss happened again. What's new is that after a few second everything would recover. But again the intermittent loss of signal is rather annoying. I will have to see if i can improve the airflow/heat of the cabinet and see if that helps.
post #9848 of 10436
Im looking into having my avr warrantied for a failed network card.

I am just wondering i have an issue that whenever i turn my avr off, some settings are being lost. Channel level settings for instance i manually changed slightly after audyessey calibration get reverted back to default. Surround parameters I also have surround back set to Pro logic II those get put back to none, every time i turn it off.

Does anyone else do any of the above and have this issue when turning it off?

Im also not sure what the problem might be or how to explain this to them so it might get fixed? It would be great if someone would have any idea what this problem maybe so when I send it in to get the network card replaced, I can ask them to look at whatever might be causing the settings not to stick.
Edited by Murilo - 12/8/12 at 3:11am
post #9849 of 10436
The issue you are having now is not related to the NIC, rather most likely you are using Quick Select buttons to power on the AVR starting with a specific device and have failed to re-memorize the new settings into the Quick Select button (press/hold for a few seconds) prior to turning the AVR off. Give this a try. smile.gif
post #9850 of 10436
Thanks for the reply. I never touch the quick select buttons, I just turn it off and on with the power buttons at the top. And use the source buttons (non quick select buttons) to select my source....


Although maybe im doing something wrong here. The setting are always fine until i hit power off. And then power on and channel levels and surround parameters are changed. I honestly dont think i ever touched the quick select buttons, im not quite sure what they even do?


I may have completely misunderstood what you said by the way smile.gif
Edited by Murilo - 12/11/12 at 12:51am
post #9851 of 10436
I just bought a new set of Astro A50 wireless headsets. They support Dolby Digital Live via optical connection. My computer doesn't support Dolby Digital Live. My vid card is connected to my 3311 via HDMI cable. I am hoping that I can connect my headset to the optical out of the AVR but does/can the 3311output Dolby Digital Live encoded audio?
post #9852 of 10436
no, there is no "downmix" of HDMI audio. The optical output of the receiver will ONLY output other SPDIF audio.
post #9853 of 10436
Anyone having trouble with Pandora? I turned it on and it made me sign in, which I did (yes I checked my password on other devices). It wouldn't allow me to sign in, just says please wait for half a second then nothing. Any ideas?
post #9854 of 10436
Everyone is having issues with Pandora: http://usa.denon.com/us/news/pages/newsdetails.aspx?newstype=news&newsid=89&year=2012

The firmware fix has successfully corrected the issue for most users, you and your 3311 are up next smile.gif
post #9855 of 10436
That was fast!!!! So it looks like December 17th it is.
post #9856 of 10436
I have this problem and dont know what to do... So I have different "activities" from a remote (Harmony) standpoint. Some activities I have to have the 3311 on "Monitor Out 1" and some need to be on "Monitor Out 2". The problem is if I add the step "Monitor Out" to any of this activity then sometimes it may be wrong output select, for example,

- Current activity: "Monitor Out 1"
- Next activity: "Monitor Out 1" (but this activity has a step to press "Monitor Out" - so its actually "Monitor Out 2" now) -- WRONG output

How do I specify correct "Monitor Out #" ? Or is it impossible?

Thanks
post #9857 of 10436
There are discrete codes for Monitor 1 and Monitor 2 in the code database. If you are reasonably tech savvy you should be able to add them to your Harmony by reading the info here: http://batpigworld.com/wp/?p=106

EDIT: I just saved you a step by generating the Harmony compatible hex codes for these commands, you can either add them yourself using the HexToHarmony tool (see the link above) or email them to Harmony tech support and have them add it for you (if they are nice):

HDMI MONITOR 1 DISCRETE SELECT
0000 0070 0000 0032 0080 0040 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0ACE

HDMI MONITOR 2 DISCRETE SELECT
0000 0070 0000 0032 0080 0040 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0ACE

HDMI MONITOR SELECT AUTO (DUAL)
0000 0070 0000 0032 0080 0040 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0ACE
post #9858 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murilo View Post

Thanks for the reply. I never touch the quick select buttons, I just turn it off and on with the power buttons at the top. And use the source buttons (non quick select buttons) to select my source....
Although maybe im doing something wrong here. The setting are always fine until i hit power off. And then power on and channel levels and surround parameters are changed. I honestly dont think i ever touched the quick select buttons, im not quite sure what they even do?
I may have completely misunderstood what you said by the way smile.gif

Does anyone have any idea what this maybe or what I should tell or mention to customer service people? Like is it faulty memory or something? I have no idea from a hardware standpoint whats in this thing thats making setting adjustments disappear that i could have them check.
post #9859 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

There are discrete codes for Monitor 1 and Monitor 2 in the code database. If you are reasonably tech savvy you should be able to add them to your Harmony by reading the info here: http://batpigworld.com/wp/?p=106
EDIT: I just saved you a step by generating the Harmony compatible hex codes for these commands, you can either add them yourself using the HexToHarmony tool (see the link above) or email them to Harmony tech support and have them add it for you (if they are nice):
HDMI MONITOR 1 DISCRETE SELECT
0000 0070 0000 0032 0080 0040 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0ACE
HDMI MONITOR 2 DISCRETE SELECT
0000 0070 0000 0032 0080 0040 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0ACE
HDMI MONITOR SELECT AUTO (DUAL)
0000 0070 0000 0032 0080 0040 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0030 0010 0010 0010 0010 0010 0030 0010 0ACE

Thanks a lot. I will try this at home.
post #9860 of 10436
Anyone knows how to turn on automatic switching to the last source ON, eg. you're using SAT/CBL and then turn on BD, the 3311 would switch to BD for you. Or is this even an available function? Sometimes my 3311 would switch automatically, i noticed, from SAT/CBL to BD but nothing else.
post #9861 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmscs View Post

Anyone knows how to turn on automatic switching to the last source ON, eg. you're using SAT/CBL and then turn on BD, the 3311 would switch to BD for you. Or is this even an available function? Sometimes my 3311 would switch automatically, i noticed, from SAT/CBL to BD but nothing else.

Never mind. After some research, i think its the Directv HR25 which does not support HDMI-CEC. I guess no way to have this feature in my system then.
post #9862 of 10436
^^
Harmony remote. wink.gif
post #9863 of 10436
Got my firmware today. Advertised 6 min to update. Actual time to download was about 6 min, then 2 min update check and a final additional minute until complete (total 9 minutes). Only update was to Ether IMG. I've been using my htpc/xbmc for Pandora lately, but after the update I did try Pandora on the 3311ci and it works, both for playing existing stations and adding new ones. Didn't try the options while playing but assume they work.

scott s.
.
post #9864 of 10436
Note the Pandora firmware update for the 991 has been delayed until later today sometime.
post #9865 of 10436
Available now for the 991 at 9:15am est. downloading now. Looking forward to having Pandora again. I wonder if it will still be commercial free?
post #9866 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott967 View Post

Got my firmware today. Advertised 6 min to update. Actual time to download was about 6 min, then 2 min update check and a final additional minute until complete (total 9 minutes). Only update was to Ether IMG. I've been using my htpc/xbmc for Pandora lately, but after the update I did try Pandora on the 3311ci and it works, both for playing existing stations and adding new ones. Didn't try the options while playing but assume they work.
scott s.
.

+1

My 3311 update also took approx. 10 minutes and Pandora now works again.
post #9867 of 10436
So I'm trying the update for the third time any idea why the update would fail twice?
post #9868 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Harmony remote. wink.gif

I have the remote. What this feature means is when the Denon is off, HDMI passthru-switching. So Harmony has nothing to do with it.
post #9869 of 10436
I have just set up my new(new to me) 3311 and have a question regarding assigning inputs.
I want to hook up my sons x-box 360 via the component inputs for video and analog composite connections.
I have used the component in labeled "DVD "and the analog in labeled" DVD"
When I select "Game" I get the video but no audio
Am I doing something wrong ??
Edited by 24tate - 12/18/12 at 5:09pm
post #9870 of 10436
Yup. If the audio input is connected to the DVD source inputs, you have to select the DVD source. smile.gif

Note that although you can "reassign' the component input to "Game", the analog inputs are not assignable so you must use whatever the input label is that you plug in to.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK