or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK - Page 332

post #9931 of 10436
Also forget to say i can hear the sound the movie i am playing but cannot view the 3d view i am playing and below is the my htpc setup.

Window 7 Ultimate 32bits
Intel Icore 5 (Ivy Breach)
ATI 7750
Gigabyte Z77 Motherboard.

Thanks
post #9932 of 10436
I had my Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player connected to my Sony XBR-55HX929 TV through my Denon AVR-3311ci receiver using HDMI. When I navigated around the Disney WOW World of Wonder calibration Blu-ray disc, my TV would go blank for a few seconds when I changed track and the first few seconds of video and audio of the track would be skipped. When I rewound to the beginning of the track, the video and audio would play fine. When I connected my Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray player directly to my Sony XBR-55HX929 TV, I didn't have this problem. It seemed that the Denon receiver lost the first few seconds of each track when switching video and audio formats between track and menu. I would appreciate any help to fix this. Thanks.
post #9933 of 10436
It may not be "fixable". Sounds like typical HDMI goofiness... the signal drops for moment and it takes a few seconds to reestablish the handshake.
post #9934 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Jazz View Post

I don't know if anyone can help me with this, but since I have limited access to a telephone and Denon doesn't seem to have e-mail support I just wanted to check with the local experts. I bought a refurb AVR3311CI from an authorized dealer in January of this year. This was coming from an Onkyo TX-SR805 which sounded great, and I was a little iffy on the seemingly cheaper parts in the Denon (as well as the newer Onkyos). Fortunately, the Denon did not disappoint (although I find it less easy to use). Anyway, a few months ago I started getting some crazy popping noises in my center channel speaker. I tried connecting the speaker to a different receiver and it worked fine. I replaced the speaker cable and that seemed to fix it. A little while later, the noise came back. This time I disconnected the speaker for awhile, double checked to make sure nothing was causing interference at the binding posts, and again it went away when I reconnected it. Now it the speaker has developed a steady, loud hissing sound, which you can still hear over, but is pretty annoying (and not how this thing is supposed to work). The noise is not source-dependent (nor format-dependent). If the AVR is on and the center speaker is connected, it is hissing. The speaker cable doesn't seem to be near any power cables so I don't think there's anything happening there. I suspect I just have a faulty center channel power amp (or something along those lines) and it needs to be serviced. When this all started I tried contacting the local Denon warranty repair place and they ignored me repeatedly, so that's not very encouraging. Any other suggestions, either in terms of what might be wrong or how best to get warranty service from Denon?

Good times! I took my AVR in to Alex A/V in New Hope, MN (the local warranty repair center) on Oct. 6. They replaced the center amp within about 3 weeks, and I picked it up on Nov. 3. I didn't get it connected until a few days later. Within a couple hours of using it, there was a loud POP, and it shut down, the power light blinking red. I tried replacing all the speaker cables, which didn't help, but was useful because I knew I'd be swapping out AVRs again (so now I have banana plugs instead of bare wire, glad I didn't sell my Onkyo!). I took it back into Alex A/V on November 24 and they said they'd rush it. Didn't hear back from them, so I called last week and they said that it wasn't ready. A rep. got back to me on Friday (Dec. 21) and said that it worked okay on tuner, but when they connected it via HDMI it shut down (I am almost exclusively using HDMI sources at home). Wednesday they called and told me they found "Coke or root beer" on "the board" which they cleaned up with q-tips, and they'd they'd test it and get back to me. I called them yesterday since I was in the area, and they said they'd been running it, and it was good to pick up. Hooray.

When I went to pick it up, the one employee out front was helping someone, so I took a look around and found my reciever running on tuner. I took a look behind it and saw that they did not have an HDMI source running into it, and they were only powering the left and right fronts. So if this was "testing," based on what they'd reported to me, it wasn't really sufficient. Then a guy in the back came out and treated me like I was casing the joint to steal something. The person I'd been talking to on the phone nor the tech who worked on it were anywhere to be seen. Didn't give me much confidence.

Last night I connected it back up and ran it for about an hour and a half, and it worked okay. Around noon today my partner called me and said that it popped and shut down again. I have kind of had it with these people. My warranty is up on January 21. In other people's experience, am I better off trying to deal with Denon directly? I don't want to end up with a brick on my hands, I'm not really prepared to have to buy a new AVR, nor do I feel that I should have to. I'm partially writing this out here to get my thoughts together before I call Alex A/V back, but any input or advice you have would be appreciated. Thanks.
post #9935 of 10436
I spoke to Alex A/V and I'm going to try taking it back in to them again, for whatever that's worth. Does anyone know if Denon will replace the unit if this place can't get it fixed? I need to give Denon customer service a call next, but again, just curious what other people's experience is in situations like this so I know what to expect.
post #9936 of 10436
Have been using a 64GB usb stick to listen to music with on the 3311. Basically Ive just ripped some CD's to WAV and have the convenience of selecting from a potential ~100 albums at present in wav quality. (ps, I dont really think I can tell the difference between mp3 ripped at 128k and the wav version, but i feel better listening to it as it should be!)

Was thinking the way to go would be to just connect an external drive via usb to the 3311, one of those 1TB units and I can put my whole CD collection on there?

I have a usb powered external drive here that already has home computer backup files on it and plugged that in but the 3311 wouldnt read it, so maybe it wont work?

any one had any experience trying to do this?
post #9937 of 10436
As long as the drive is formatted in FAT32 you should be able to go to 2TB.

post #9938 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Jazz View Post

I spoke to Alex A/V and I'm going to try taking it back in to them again, for whatever that's worth. Does anyone know if Denon will replace the unit if this place can't get it fixed? I need to give Denon customer service a call next, but again, just curious what other people's experience is in situations like this so I know what to expect.

If you purchased with a credit card, your provider may add an additional 2nd year of warranty (Amex will for sure). That said, as your unit appears to be a lemon, you can likely ask the repair facility to contact Denon to get you another refurbished 3311CI if still available to replace your unit, or you can simply contact them directly yourself.
post #9939 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

As long as the drive is formatted in FAT32 you should be able to go to 2TB.

Thanks for that, should be able to put 500CDs on a drive?

I'm fairly sure that my present usb external drive is formatted in standard fat32, would perhaps the reason it is reading error on the 3311 be because of the number of folders on it.......which would be huge
post #9940 of 10436
IMO this is going to get VERY cumbersome to operate via the internal AVR interface with that many CDs. It will probably be slow and clunky.

I'd rather rip everything to a computer and then use a media server program to host the music, allowing you to organize, create playlists, etc. Then stream wirelessly using DLNA, and control with a smartphone app or something. If you don't mid iTunes then AirPlay is super slick and easy with the remote app.
post #9941 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

IMO this is going to get VERY cumbersome to operate via the internal AVR interface with that many CDs. It will probably be slow and clunky.
I'd rather rip everything to a computer and then use a media server program to host the music, allowing you to organize, create playlists, etc. Then stream wirelessly using DLNA, and control with a smartphone app or something. If you don't mid iTunes then AirPlay is super slick and easy with the remote app.




At the moment I have successfully figured out how to control the denon 3311 from my computer(via my home wireless router) but have not been able to play music from the computer to the denon.

As far as I have figured out it is not possible for me to form a DLNA from my computer as it requires that "homegroups' can function, but my computer( a work laptop) has the message:

"Your system administrator doesnt allow access to homegroups".

Is there a way around this?, no I dont have another computer to use.

To get airplay here in Aus one has to outlay $60, but I really don't know if its going to be able to work for the "homegroups" reason or if indeed I will have the computer skills to be able to set it up..

Im assuming there is no compromise in how a wav file is transmitted?

thsnks
post #9942 of 10436
Hi all,
I have a Denon avr-3311ci. I loaded and connected the deremote ipad app to my avr. I can control the avr without issues(so it appears). However, I cannot control the Sony bluray player. It is connected to the network by wireless. The "demo" mode of the deremote app has a player view button located at the upper right of the control panel when blue ray selected. However when I go to my device the "player view" button is not there. Any ideas? Surly I'm missing something. I did not see anything in the deremote manual.
Oh, and I'm up to date on both device's firmware.

Thank a bunch
post #9943 of 10436
Can anyone give me a quick comparison between my Onkyo PRSC886 and the Denon 3311. I saw a newer Denon (4311?) in action and what I loved was the on the fly audio adjustment ability. For my Onkyo to adjust settings I need to hit the "setup" work through the menus, make the adjustment and wait about 10 seconds for it to set all while it exits the source and the sound goes quiet. The Denon was an audio adjust button and while the source was playing you could make adjustments. I think it is a great feature to have.

My Onkyo works perfectly but I'm willing to pay a bit to get a Denon with the on the fly adjustment and the "audio adjustment" button on the remote.

Thanks.
post #9944 of 10436
886: Pre-amp, Audyssey MultEQ XT, HDMI 1.3 (release date early 2009)
3311CI: Pre-amp/amp, Audyssey MultEQ XT, HDMI 1.4a (release date June 2010)
4311CI: Pre-amp/amp, Audyssey MultEQ XT32, HDMI 1.4a (release date Oct 2010)
post #9945 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacr View Post

At the moment I have successfully figured out how to control the denon 3311 from my computer(via my home wireless router) but have not been able to play music from the computer to the denon.
As far as I have figured out it is not possible for me to form a DLNA from my computer as it requires that "homegroups' can function, but my computer( a work laptop) has the message:
"Your system administrator doesnt allow access to homegroups".
Is there a way around this?, no I dont have another computer to use.

Do you have administration level privileges? Go to control panel - > users to see. As a work machine they may have customized Win base images they drop into every machine that goes out. These can permanently disable certain function and restrict access to anything.

If the computer can "see" the Denon (network and sharing, look at network map), then your issues are all pc settings.

S3 on Sprint - 16gb pebble blue + 64
post #9946 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

886: Pre-amp, Audyssey MultEQ XT, HDMI 1.3 (release date early 2009)
3311CI: Pre-amp/amp, Audyssey MultEQ XT, HDMI 1.4a (release date June 2010)
4311CI: Pre-amp/amp, Audyssey MultEQ XT32, HDMI 1.4a (release date Oct 2010)

So it really looks like the only thing that is significant to me is the audio adjustment on the fly, which I do really like!
post #9947 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by trunkmonkey1972 View Post

Do you have administration level privileges? Go to control panel - > users to see. As a work machine they may have customized Win base images they drop into every machine that goes out. These can permanently disable certain function and restrict access to anything.
If the computer can "see" the Denon (network and sharing, look at network map), then your issues are all pc settings.
S3 on Sprint - 16gb pebble blue + 64

I think if you can get into the advanced sharing options in the Network and Sharing Center (probably need admin level account) you can turn on media sharing and in the options allow the Denon. Then in the Denon you should be able to use the WMP on your computer as a DLNA server for your music files. Using DLNA you don't need to share folders or set up a homegroup.

When you turn on media sharing, it causes windows to run a service "windows media player network sharing service" and I think (not positive) also the UPnP device host service is required. If for some reason (security) your sys admin has locked those out that probably won't work. You would have to also set up your music library in WMP (and any playlists you want).

Normally I would recommend encoding your wavs into FLAC, but since WMP doesn't do FLAC you need to find another DLNA server for your laptop, which may be a bigger project than you really wanted.

scott s.
.
post #9948 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott967 View Post

I think if you can get into the advanced sharing options in the Network and Sharing Center (probably need admin level account) you can turn on media sharing and in the options allow the Denon. Then in the Denon you should be able to use the WMP on your computer as a DLNA server for your music files. Using DLNA you don't need to share folders or set up a homegroup.
When you turn on media sharing, it causes windows to run a service "windows media player network sharing service" and I think (not positive) also the UPnP device host service is required. If for some reason (security) your sys admin has locked those out that probably won't work. You would have to also set up your music library in WMP (and any playlists you want).
Normally I would recommend encoding your wavs into FLAC, but since WMP doesn't do FLAC you need to find another DLNA server for your laptop, which may be a bigger project than you really wanted.
scott s.
.

I've been able to guess my administrators password and login as them, but not sure which settings to unchange(there isnt a simple one of allowing media sharing/homegroups) but will try and find out.

The good news is Ive worked out how that my external usb drive didnt work because it was in ntfs format. I reformatted it to fat32(using http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm) and loaded up some wav files and it works fine. Can control it from the computer so in a way pretty good, except I dont have any playlists which doesnt bother me greatly.
post #9949 of 10436
Found this, solved my issue id spent hours trying to pin point:

These are the important network services in Windows 7 that must be kept ENABLED at all times!
Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
Remote Access Connection Manager
Routing and Remote Access
Secure Socket Tunneling Services
TCP/IP Netbios Helper - “You can disable this one in Windows XP and Windows Vista but NOT in Windows 7″
post #9950 of 10436
Go to control panel, homegroups, join or create one then you will go through a wizard to choose shared media.
post #9951 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post

Can anyone give me a quick comparison between my Onkyo PRSC886 and the Denon 3311. I saw a newer Denon (4311?) in action and what I loved was the on the fly audio adjustment ability. For my Onkyo to adjust settings I need to hit the "setup" work through the menus, make the adjustment and wait about 10 seconds for it to set all while it exits the source and the sound goes quiet. The Denon was an audio adjust button and while the source was playing you could make adjustments. I think it is a great feature to have.
My Onkyo works perfectly but I'm willing to pay a bit to get a Denon with the on the fly adjustment and the "audio adjustment" button on the remote.
Thanks.

The 3311ci is dlna capable and has a free airplay upgrade that allows you stream any itunes, iPhone (3gs or higher), iPod touch or iPad wireless.
post #9952 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by spager View Post

The 3311ci is dlna capable and has a free airplay upgrade that allows you stream any itunes, iPhone (3gs or higher), iPod touch or iPad wireless.

Thanks. Not sure I need much more from a pre/pro as my listening/movie watching is pretty simple. If the 3311 has the audio adjust on the fly and also has the HDMI 1.4 it sounds like it will work for me. Not sure I need to step up to the 4311 with the XT32 Audyssey.
post #9953 of 10436
The 3311CI should serve you well ... upgrade to the 4311CI only if the better audio fidelity is really important at roughly 2x the cost.
post #9954 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTennis View Post

Hi all,
I have a Denon avr-3311ci. I loaded and connected the deremote ipad app to my avr. I can control the avr without issues(so it appears). However, I cannot control the Sony bluray player. It is connected to the network by wireless. The "demo" mode of the deremote app has a player view button located at the upper right of the control panel when blue ray selected. However when I go to my device the "player view" button is not there. Any ideas? Surly I'm missing something. I did not see anything in the deremote manual.
Oh, and I'm up to date on both device's firmware.

Thank a bunch

Since the issue is with the Sony BDP not sure we can help in the Denon thread. Your receiver is working fine. The issue is between the app and the Sony. I would suggest you contact support for the DeRemote app.
post #9955 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Since the issue is with the Sony BDP not sure we can help in the Denon thread. Your receiver is working fine. The issue is between the app and the Sony. I would suggest you contact support for the DeRemote app.
What OS are you on and what settings did you change within to allow these files to be shared? The pieces of your network will show on the network map but actual media serve capabilities are not going to be automatic.
post #9956 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile View Post

Thanks. Not sure I need much more from a pre/pro as my listening/movie watching is pretty simple. If the 3311 has the audio adjust on the fly and also has the HDMI 1.4 it sounds like it will work for me. Not sure I need to step up to the 4311 with the XT32 Audyssey.

You can check out all the specs and features on the differences models on the first page of this forum. Also check out the 12 & 13 series Denon avs forums and on the first page of those forums it has a detailed specs and differences there as well.
post #9957 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by spager View Post

You can check out all the specs and features on the differences models on the first page of this forum. Also check out the 12 & 13 series Denon avs forums and on the first page of those forums it has a detailed specs and differences there as well.

I read up on all the specs and differences but wanted to ask for a real world comparison. Stats and specs are great but not if you don't understand them!
post #9958 of 10436
I just discovered the ip up scaling can be set to up convert digital video as well as analog. Batpig, long time listener, first time caller :-). I'm curious about this part of your denon guide: "That means if you have a 1080p TV, it is already going to upscale everything to 1080p!!! Upscaling in receivers is, in a sense, mostly a marketing gimmick, and it is only a useful feature if it does it better than your display! What you really want to make sure is that the receiver doesn't screw anything up when passing the video through, and in that sense the Denons are just fine."
My Dish DVR outputs 1080i,and previously my LG 47LH90 displayed this signal as 1080i. After changing Denon settings to output 1080p via scaler, TV now registers 1080p. I swear I notice a difference in picture smoothness, however that could all be in my head. Regardless the TV is registering a progressive scan signal now so how does this reconcile with what's in the guide?
Also struggling with what's best for video settings across the system in terms of video for ps3,denon,lg. TV supports 'wide' or 'standard' color gamut, black level adjust, white balance temp. Right now I have video convert off, no gui overlay, PS3 set to ypb/cb pr/cr, super white off, deep color auto, rgb range limited. TV is set with standard color gamut, low black level. TV menu only mentions rgb in a PC option which is greyed out. During trial and error, I did have black crush, but current setting have decent detail in shadow areas. Denon info menu registers 1080p:60 hz, RGB 4:4:4,12 bit seemingly no matter what I set on ps3, which isn't making sense. Please offer any advice you have. Thanks!

Ps welcoming all responses, of course. Any LG owners with the high end calibration options? So many options...
Edited by trunkmonkey1972 - 12/31/12 at 1:42pm
post #9959 of 10436
I just tried to upgrade the firmware on 3311....and it is going into loop mode. I did several updates before without a problem...but now it says updating...then fail ..etc etc.

If this continues, any solution ?....does reset help ?.......how to get out of this loop.

Thank you !
post #9960 of 10436
Quote:
Originally Posted by svbp007 View Post

I just tried to upgrade the firmware on 3311....and it is going into loop mode. I did several updates before without a problem...but now it says updating...then fail ..etc etc.
If this continues, any solution ?....does reset help ?.......how to get out of this loop.
Thank you !

Basically it keeps saying it is "retry" etc.....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The **Official** Denon 3311CI/ 991 Owner's Thread NO PRICE TALK