Well, it's been slow progress. Unfortunately this month has been a tab more expensive that we had anticipated. We had to get 4 tires for my car (expected) 2 for my wife's (unexpected). Not to mention we found a great package deal for our trip to Ireland. The downfall is that they require payment in full up front so the basement budget went towards preventing a credit card balance. The fund might be replenishing in December but we'll have to see how that all pans out
Of course I also found this at a Repossession Auction site:
It was something we had been hoping to find but a working one with the pumps and carbonater for $150 was too good to pass up - doing still further damage to the basement budget in the process
I'll tell you one thing though - it's staying with the house. We have a couple at work that I investigated pretty thoroughly before buying this one. Unfortunately this lead me to make some unfortunate assumptions.
The ones at work were pretty small and lightweight even though they also had 6 pumps and an ice dispenser.
This was neither small nor light. At my best guess it weighs around 400lbs. It also barely fit in my SUV. We are talking NO height clearance and 1" width clearance. On the positive side I now know that the width clearance of my SUV = basement entrance clearance.
Amazingly enough a friend and I got it downstairs with the help of an appliance dolly without any damage to walls/floors or the fountain machine. Even so - I am not even going to attempt to get it back upstairs if I intend to preserve it's working condition
Anyway - I have made some progress with the small budget left and the materials still at hand.
My Hotlink Pro, splitter and extender arrived along with a plethora of cables, wall jacks. There is also an HDMI splitter I had laying around. Not a very exciting picture but as soon as I got new toys I started installing them in the basement
I plan on routing one of the Hotlink extenders, extra HDMI cable and zone 2 audio cables to the outside room so we can use it as an exercise area at some point
The electrical is now 90% done and the audio/visual wiring is all done. I finished running all of the data as well. I ran data to the front and to the projector - a switch in the equipment area will serve all of the equipment/data runs with a connection to the router in my office on the second floor. Thankfully I had already run the ethernet cable to the basement for my temporary setup so I didn't have to worry about that this time around. I also built the equipment shelves this weekend
The bottom shelf will house my HTPC and Media server side by side vertically so I also installed a keyboard tray I salvaged from an ancient server rack at work
I think I know one reason it the tray was going to be recycled - that sucker had some sharp edges!
There were some additional cuts on my thumbs but you get the idea. I put on work gloves after a bit and there was significantly less blood on the keyboard tray. Needless to say I have added a grinder attachment for my Dremel to my 'Need to buy' list
I think I will put my network switch on the top shelf but since I don't need front access to it I may add a shelf at the very top and put it there
All of the speaker runs have been tested as well
Obviously I will take off the face plates before drywalling but I just wanted to make sure I didn't do anything stupid here (like mix up my left and right connectors)
There isn't much left to do at this point till the budget recovers. I need to add a metal support leg to one side of the keyboard tray. I was going to use an extra 2x4 but there are some screws in the assembly that get in the way.
I also need to finish the sump pump outlet enclosure. I will need to move most of the existing lights in the basement out of the way. Unfortunately they share a circuit with the upstairs so the wires will need to be pulled. (I don't want to have to have access to junction boxes in the ceiling) Since I have no plans for overhead lights in the home theatre room I have been waiting to do that last since light will be at a premium until the sconces are installed