or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › "Official" Yamaha RX-V667/RX-V767 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Official" Yamaha RX-V667/RX-V767 Thread - Page 83

post #2461 of 3908
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
[...] I like to enhance 2ch content, but I bought the V867 for its DSD ability with SACD. [...] would I use extended surround on 5.x content - nope. I like my DVDs to sound like the director wanted.
On the other hand, my listening room is "something less than ideal", so I like to compare "tweaked" CD/DVD/BD audio with "what the director wanted" . . . and to play whichever I find preferable. And, thanks to the 'flexibility' of our AVRs and BD players, we can mostly 'do what we want' . . . with some limitations, as I discovered today!

Because the RX-V667 cannot decode a DTS-HDMA bitstream and simultaneously apply CinemaDSP, I had set my Sony BDP-BX37 BD player to decode [all] BD audio to PCM . . . which then allowed my V667 to apply CinemaDSP to the [already losslessly decompressed from DTS-HDMA] soundtrack delivered over HDMI.

But it turns out that the Sony BDP-BX37 BD player 'force decode to PCM' setting also applies to SACD playback! And while SACD playback through the V667 as either DSD or (high resolution) PCM sounded excellent, there is one significant difference: with SACD playback in DSD, the V667 allows CinemaDSP processing; with SACD playback in (high resolution) PCM, the V667 prohibits CinemaDSP processing. Ouch!

I guess this 'round' goes to you, Joe!
post #2462 of 3908
Problem is solved, the setup switch had moved from line to powerlink during transportation. Thanks for replying.
post #2463 of 3908
Quote:
Originally Posted by klit View Post
Problem is solved, the setup switch had moved from line to powerlink during transportation. Thanks for replying.
That's what we're here for. Damn,when I'm good, I'm good! On the other hand..........
Now,get a sub for those speakers!
post #2464 of 3908
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex View Post
On the other hand, my listening room is "something less than ideal", so I like to compare "tweaked" CD/DVD/BD audio with "what the director wanted" . . . and to play whichever I find preferable. And, thanks to the 'flexibility' of our AVRs and BD players, we can mostly 'do what we want' . . . with some limitations, as I discovered today!

Because the RX-V667 cannot decode a DTS-HDMA bitstream and simultaneously apply CinemaDSP, I had set my Sony BDP-BX37 BD player to decode [all] BD audio to PCM . . . which then allowed my V667 to apply CinemaDSP to the [already losslessly decompressed from DTS-HDMA] soundtrack delivered over HDMI.

But it turns out that the Sony BDP-BX37 BD player 'force decode to PCM' setting also applies to SACD playback! And while SACD playback through the V667 as either DSD or (high resolution) PCM sounded excellent, there is one significant difference: with SACD playback in DSD, the V667 allows CinemaDSP processing; with SACD playback in (high resolution) PCM, the V667 prohibits CinemaDSP processing. Ouch!

I guess this 'round' goes to you, Joe!
I learn something new every day. I will have to check this out. I use my Sony S570 to feed the V867 with DSD. I wish they (Yamaha) would add SOME description to the display during SACD playback. But I appreciate the information and will play with it. With the definition and clarity of DSD I doubt DSP processing will make me change. We are comparing BR to SACD. This might be not be a fair comparison, unless you have a AVR without DSD and PCM is your only option.

I'm looking for more BR DVD audio only. Now that's something I could get into. Seems all that is out there is live performances. I'm not a big fan of that background noise. I have Styx and Tom Petty. Good, but I don't want to watch music.
post #2465 of 3908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton Noway View Post

I'm assuming your dock works in the Main zone and just can't get it to work in Zone. You didn't specify which Apple device you are trying to integrate or which model of dock you purchased (i.e., 10-11-12). From what I understand, the YDS-11 "does' not" support the iphone. Hopefully you purchased the YDS-12 (and not one of the YDS-11 models that are plentiful on eBay.) The YDS-12 supports both new and old receivers via its A/B mode. If you have a YDS-12 make sure you are in A mode (it will NOT support the iPhone in B mode) The YDS-11 supports a few of the older Apple devices but not the iphone. Receivers that support the iPhone with a YDS-12 dock are the :RX-A3000, RX-A2000, RX-A1000, RX-A800, RX-A700, RX-V667, RX-V867, RX-V567. RX-V467, RX-V367.

That said... as others have mentioned Zone 2 typically only accepts analog inputs...but... per the Yamahas FAQ for the RX-A700, it implies it should work because they state the following:

To control Zone 2 using the Receiver's remote the switch at the upper most left hand corner of the remote must be set to Zone 2. The available operations are as follows:

Selecting the input source of Zone 2.
Tuning into FM or AM when TUNER is selected as the input source of Zone 2.
Tuning into SIRIUS Satellite Radio when SIRIUS is selected as the input source of Zone 2.
Selecting the YDS-12 Dock for play in Zone 2.
Selecting NET Radio (Network capable receivers)
Adjust the volume of Zone 2 devices (when connected via the built-in amplifier).


Check out FAQ #1 in this link Yamaha FAQ A700 FAQ

Thanks for this great info. I could not get my portable Sirius radio to work while plugged into "audio 2" via RCA jacks. The link was helpful. However, I had everything wired correctly but still no sound in zone 2. THEN i just hit the "audio 2" button on the remote with the control switch at the top left of the remote switched to "zone 2". BAM- now its working. Success finally.

Pat
post #2466 of 3908
I bought the Yamaha YDS11 and use it with first gen ipod touch. Awsome works now i never swithced the button over to zone 2!!
post #2467 of 3908
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex View Post

Because the RX-V667 cannot decode a DTS-HDMA bitstream and simultaneously apply CinemaDSP, I had set my Sony BDP-BX37 BD player to decode [all] BD audio to PCM . . . which then allowed my V667 to apply CinemaDSP to the [already losslessly decompressed from DTS-HDMA] soundtrack delivered over HDMI.

Be advised, however, that many Blu-ray players will not transport the full, loss-less version of the HD audio codecs over LPCM. I know for a fact that the Sony BD players (all of 'em) fall into this category. For example, with DTS-MA only the 'core' (i.e. 1.5 Mbps) version is decoded into PCM and transported over HDMI. You can usually verify which ones will and won't by combing through the manuals ... or you can do what I did - I sent e-mails to the respective technical support persons and just asked.
post #2468 of 3908
Hi All,
apologies if this in the wrong place or even been asked before,when I use what I think is called GUI,accessing the on screen menu left hand side and I am watching a DVD I lose the picture during when I access it and when I leave it,is this normal,if not any ideas why,all I seem to find on the internet reviews is that it is an overlay and you dont lose the video picture.The picture returns when I am using the on screen menu just goes when i go in and out of it.
Thank you.
post #2469 of 3908
@SoundChex ... Sorry... you need to re-read your earlier post and my response.

What you are describing is a scenario of sending bitstreamed audio from the BD player to the AVR. In that case, what you are describing is correct.

However, if you *force* LPCM output from the Sony BD player, the *BD* player will extract the lossy core audio and decode that into LPCM.

I've verified this behavior with Sony technical support. Odds are, you can't hear the difference and the extra DSP processing sounds good to you, so leave it the way it is and enjoy!
post #2470 of 3908
Ignore problem,problem was found in DVD player output.TY
post #2471 of 3908
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrev View Post

Thanks for this great info. I could not get my portable Sirius radio to work while plugged into "audio 2" via RCA jacks. The link was helpful. However, I had everything wired correctly but still no sound in zone 2. THEN i just hit the "audio 2" button on the remote with the control switch at the top left of the remote switched to "zone 2". BAM- now its working. Success finally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andjayik View Post

I bought the Yamaha YDS11 and use it with first gen ipod touch. Awesome works now i never switched the button over to zone 2!!

After owning the 667, and now the 867, I'd like to be able to say I was knowledgeable enough on these receivers that I know my way around Zone 2... but that would be a lie. I as well got bit by that darn Zone 2 switch (as reported in this thread.)

NET: To control Zone 2
Locate the Zone 2 switch located in the upper left corner of the receivers remote. Set the switch to the Zone 2 position. Then... providing you have completed the Manual Speaker setup, and have your Zone 2 speakers connected to the ZONE2/PRESENCE speaker connectors on the receiver... using the remote you should be able to:
> Select the input source for Zone 2
> Tuning of AM or FM (when TUNER is selected as input of Zone 2)
> Tuning of SIRUS Radio (when SIRUS is selected as input of Zone 2)[/i]
> Selecting the iPhone YDS-11/12 Dock for play in Zone 2
> Selecting Net Radio (on network capable receivers)
> Adjusting Volume of whatever Zone 2 input device you have selected
post #2472 of 3908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post

Be advised, however, that many Blu-ray players will not transport the full, loss-less version of the HD audio codecs over LPCM. I know for a fact that the Sony BD players (all of 'em) fall into this category. For example, with DTS-MA only the 'core' (i.e. 1.5 Mbps) version is decoded into PCM and transported over HDMI. You can usually verify which ones will and won't by combing through the manuals ... or you can do what I did - I sent e-mails to the respective technical support persons and just asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutsch View Post

[...] if you *force* LPCM output from the Sony BD player, the *BD* player will extract the lossy core audio and decode that into LPCM. I've verified this behavior with Sony technical support. [...]

I have been unable to locate any suggestion in the BDP-BX37 manual that in-player decoding a DTS-HDMA soundtrack to LPCM utilizes only the DTS lossy core . . . although manuals are notoriously NON-informative...?!

But consider the behavior I observe on this system...
  • BDP-BX37 Settings: Audio (HDMI) = PCM; BD Audio MIX Setting = Off; DTS Neo:6 = Off
  • RX-V667 Settings: STRAIGHT; Adaptive DRC = Off; Extended Surround = Off; Speaker Configuration = 6.x
When I play a DTS-HDMA5.1 soundtrack, the RX-V667's Audio Signal Information display shows the AVR is receiving a 5.1 PCM playback from the BDP-BX37 . . . a result I would expect decoding either a DTS-HDMA5.1 soundtrack or its (lossy) DTS core.

However, when I play a DTS-HDMA7.1 soundtrack, the RX-V667's Audio Signal Information display shows the AVR is receiving a 7.1 PCM playback from the BDP-BX37 . . . a result I would expect only when decoding a DTS-HDMA7.1 soundtrack but NOT decoding its (lossy) DTS core--which I would expect to expand into (only) 5.1 PCM...?!

And I did check that sound was coming from the CenterSurround speaker.

Any thoughts as to how this can be explained...?
post #2473 of 3908
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbhpi View Post

See pages 97 and 98 of the US version of the 667 OM. Pay close attention to the footnotes.

Thanks you I will check it out
post #2474 of 3908
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Not that I can find. I use an external FM radio with my V867. The internal tuner works as well as my JVC receiver. And as well as a really old Panasonic receiver. I need an outdoor antenna plus an amplifier to get more than one station. My current radio has an iPod dock, so I run RWY to the AVR. I don't have an iPod to test it with though.

I listen to FM quite frequently. That's why I don't use the Yamaha tuner.

Thanks for the response! It's frustrating that these receivers have all these high-tech processor-intensive features and guis and what not and the damn tuners don't even work right. Oh well, I'll see if I can find a cheap external tuner.
post #2475 of 3908
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopclod View Post

Thanks for the response! It's frustrating that these receivers have all these high-tech processor-intensive features and guis and what not and the damn tuners don't even work right. Oh well, I'll see if I can find a cheap external tuner.

It's not logical, but my Radio Shack (gigaware) 12-551 supports HD and RDS. You get the iPod & charger too. With an outside antenna & amp I was getting 10 or so stations. With the Shack, I get 40+ but some are noisy. Usual price is about $50. MSRP was $200 when new. Two bugs are front panel display won't stay off and the clock really drifts. It has a small remote control too. As a clock radio it sucks, but as a tuner it's great. Good luck.

I think the built-in tuner works right. Just as right as other receivers. Used to be when a receiver would provide a spec of xx.x mv for xx.x db of quieting. Don't see that anymore.
post #2476 of 3908
Thanks for the zone 2 details Elton. I was just hesitating on purchasing Sirius for the receiver as i was worried it would not work in Zone 2 (where the wife wants it).

NET: To control Zone 2
Locate the Zone 2 switch located in the upper left corner of the receivers remote. Set the switch to the Zone 2 position. Then... providing you have completed the Manual Speaker setup, and have your Zone 2 speakers connected to the ZONE2/PRESENCE speaker connectors on the receiver... using the remote you should be able to:
> Select the input source for Zone 2
> Tuning of AM or FM (when TUNER is selected as input of Zone 2)
> Tuning of SIRUS Radio (when SIRUS is selected as input of Zone 2)[/i]
> Selecting the iPhone YDS-11/12 Dock for play in Zone 2
> Selecting Net Radio (on network capable receivers)
> Adjusting Volume of whatever Zone 2 input device you have selected
post #2477 of 3908
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopclod View Post

Thanks for the response! It's frustrating that these receivers have all these high-tech processor-intensive features and guis and what not and the damn tuners don't even work right. Oh well, I'll see if I can find a cheap external tuner.

Cheap tuners are abundant, you shouldn't have trouble finding one. FYI; I have a Yamaha T-60 tuner I would sell you for $25+shipping if you want to keep it Yamaha and black.
post #2478 of 3908
Who uses tuners these days? All i use is sat radio and mp3!
post #2479 of 3908
Quote:
Originally Posted by andjayik View Post

Who uses tuners these days? All i use is sat radio and mp3!

With IP radio you could have (as of today) 18,036 stations and 9,490 podcasts. Most are MP3 too. Best of both worlds.

But you are right, Yamaha could lose the tuner and I would still buy it. There are a lot of HD tuners now.
post #2480 of 3908
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

With IP radio you could have (as of today) 18,036 stations and 9,490 podcasts. Most are MP3 too. Best of both worlds.

But you are right, Yamaha could lose the tuner and I would still buy it. There are a lot of HD tuners now.

They could lose the tuner and the power amps and have the best value in pre/pro's out there!
post #2481 of 3908
Whats ip radio? and is that something extra u need to hook up?
post #2482 of 3908
Quote:
Originally Posted by andjayik View Post

Whats ip radio? and is that something extra u need to hook up?

IP radio is what most people call internet radio. I don't know how many of the stations are internet-only. Some just feed their broadcast in real time over the internet. It's like Pandora, but you have no control. Like a car radio with terrestial stations. It's one of inputs of the V867 and other internet connected models. I like it. No antenna required.
post #2483 of 3908
so if ur amp has no internet port ur **** out of luck then?
post #2484 of 3908
Quote:
Originally Posted by andjayik View Post

so if ur amp has no internet port ur **** out of luck then?

That would be an accurate statement. There may be an alternate peripheral, but don't know of such a device. But it's a big world.
post #2485 of 3908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewmacfadyen View Post

Thanks for the zone 2 details Elton. I was just hesitating on purchasing Sirius for the receiver as i was worried it would not work in Zone 2 (where the wife wants it).

NET: To control Zone 2
Locate the Zone 2 switch located in the upper left corner of the receivers remote. Set the switch to the Zone 2 position. Then... providing you have completed the Manual Speaker setup, and have your Zone 2 speakers connected to the ZONE2/PRESENCE speaker connectors on the receiver... using the remote you should be able to:
> Select the input source for Zone 2
> Tuning of AM or FM (when TUNER is selected as input of Zone 2)
> Tuning of SIRUS Radio (when SIRUS is selected as input of Zone 2)[/i]
> Selecting the iPhone YDS-11/12 Dock for play in Zone 2
> Selecting Net Radio (on network capable receivers)
> Adjusting Volume of whatever Zone 2 input device you have selected


I just purchased the universal home kit ($42) for my Starmate 5. Plugged into the "audio 2" RCA's and I'm good to go. Saves on purchasing another subscription to Sirius. And thanks to the info here, I have it working on Zone 2. Now my wife can run on her treadmill in the basement listening to Howard or Margaritaville...

Pat
post #2486 of 3908
Y have a Yamaha 630, now i have a chance to buy a 667, my question is;
Will be a big difference in sound quality between the two receivers? The 630 has a discrete amp too. My speakers are the Kef 2005.1 and the 630 dont give the enough power to the speakers. Can i have more power with the 667?
Thanks.
post #2487 of 3908
Seriously doubt any sound difference from extra 15 watts channel, just newer/more features.
post #2488 of 3908
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunofcp View Post

Y have a Yamaha 630, now i have a chance to buy a 667, my question is;
Will be a big difference in sound quality between the two receivers? The 630 has a discrete amp too. My speakers are the Kef 2005.1 and the 630 dont give the enough power to the speakers. Can i have more power with the 667?
Thanks.

The 667 will sound noticeably better, but not because of power. It has much improved DACs and processing, YPAO, etc. If you really want more power, get more amp.
post #2489 of 3908
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

The 667 will sound noticeably better, but not because of power. It has much improved DACs and processing, YPAO, etc. If you really want more power, get more amp.

Thank you
post #2490 of 3908
The 2.05 firmware update for the 667, is it only for US models? is there another update for EU models? I noticed mine has firmware version 1.14 on it... but yamaha europe support site doesn't give any updates...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › "Official" Yamaha RX-V667/RX-V767 Thread