or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › "Official" Yamaha RX-V667/RX-V767 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Official" Yamaha RX-V667/RX-V767 Thread - Page 128

post #3811 of 3909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

I thought you said it was working?? Either run an auto calibration or manually turn the sub on in the settings. i do not remember what they are off the top of my head but you should take a look at the manual. If you do not have it you can get it from yamaha's website. What sub does he have anyway. I want to look at it.

Sorry I thought he did have it working. But anyway, the sub is a Sony ss-wmsp66.

Ken
post #3812 of 3909
Quote:
Originally Posted by hearrean View Post

Sorry I thought he did have it working. But anyway, the sub is a Sony ss-wmsp66.

Ken

I just looked this sub up & now see I was wrong & that this is not a powered sub. So I guess that changes things. Can he connect the left & right inputs of the sub directly to his main front speakers & then out from the mains to the 667? And then set-up the 667 to have all the bass going to the front speakers? To me, this would somewhat imitate my set-up where my front Definitives had built-in subs.

Ken
post #3813 of 3909
Quote:
Originally Posted by hearrean View Post

I just looked this sub up & now see I was wrong & that this is not a powered sub. So I guess that changes things. Can he connect the left & right inputs of the sub directly to his main front speakers & then out from the mains to the 667? And then set-up the 667 to have all the bass going to the front speakers? To me, this would somewhat imitate my set-up where my front Definitives had built-in subs.

Ken

You can but it is not a good idea. You will not have the results that you want. Also, it is not the right type of amp to push a sub. That sub is also a 6ohm driver and you might do some damage to the 667 with overheating or burning up components on the board because more power can be pulled from it. Since that sub is passive, an external amp is the only way.
post #3814 of 3909
In the speaker settings on the V667 you can enable/disable the sub and set the crossover frequency and volume.
post #3815 of 3909
is there anyway to upgrade the firmware via xbox 360 slim or ps4? I don't have a dedicated dvd/bluray player anylonger.

Also, what should the default settings on the ps4 and rx 667 be for optimal sound? Ps4 shows 7.1 at all times with strait via hdmi! smile.gif
post #3816 of 3909
I've done the updating using a pc/laptop a few times. Dudnt work with my 360 as I recall
post #3817 of 3909
Remember that you have to update firmware over an optical (or digital coax) cable, not an HDMI cable. And since the PS4 won't play CDs currently I don't see how that's going to work.

Anything that can play audio CDs and not change the data (no resampling etc.) should work, as long as you get the settings right so it doesn't modify the bits stored on the disk.
post #3818 of 3909
got it to work with a friends super old ps2. I originially had 2.09 fw. Anyone have the realease notes in the following fw updates after that. love to see the details of what 2.10, 2.11, and 2.12 fw entails.
post #3819 of 3909
I need some help finding a replacement remote for my HTR-6063 (V667). I spilled some liquid on the remote, and now it doesn't work properly. I have two questions:

1. Can I purchase a replacement Yamaha remote? I haven't had much luck finding one online. The remote has the following model numbers on the bottom right: RAV337 / WT92730 EX.

2. I've got a Shaw 1055 Atlas DVR Day for an older Shaw Motorola PVR. I can't get it to work with the Yamaha either trying the codes, or trying to search for the signal. Has anyone had luck using this remote with a similar Yamaha AVR?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Dan
post #3820 of 3909

Hi all,

I have an YAMAHA RX-V667 european version, with firmware 2.04.

On the official Yamaha website there is only the 2.05 as last version, but here I find the 2.12

 

Could someone tell me the changelog from my 2.04 and 2.05 and 2.12???

It is worth to upgrade my firmware and MOST IMPORTANT: is compatible the 2.12 with my european V667??

 

 

Can I upgrade via CD player with the firmware file on the USB pen stick or is better to make a CD-ROM?

OR Can I Use the OLD Playstation 2 to upgrade??

Many thanks in advance!

post #3821 of 3909
People have used PS2 to upgrade from CD. Some people have also played back the .wav file directly without burning a CD, but I don't remember the details. As long as you send the data from the file to the receiver over an optical (or digital coax) connection, and the player doesn't modify the bits in any way, it should work.

However, if you are not having any issues with your 667 I would not update the firmware. There's always a chance it doesn't work as well afterwards with your particular devices (handshake issues, etc.).
post #3822 of 3909
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabiocasi View Post

Hi all,



I have an YAMAHA RX-V667 european version, with firmware 2.04.



On the official Yamaha website there is only the 2.05 as last version, but here I find the 2.12



 



Could someone tell me the changelog from my 2.04 and 2.05 and 2.12???



It is worth to upgrade my firmware and MOST IMPORTANT: is compatible the 2.12 with my european V667??



 



 



Can I upgrade via CD player with the firmware file on the USB pen stick or is better to make a CD-ROM?



OR Can I Use the OLD Playstation 2 to upgrade??


Many thanks in advance!



I don't see any reason you can't use the 667 firmware with the Euro version. Usually Euro version only changes the electrical power from the US 120 volts/60hz to the standard for your country
post #3823 of 3909
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjmyers View Post

got it to work with a friends super old ps2. I originially had 2.09 fw. Anyone have the realease notes in the following fw updates after that. love to see the details of what 2.10, 2.11, and 2.12 fw entails.

Firmware versions NOT released to the public (for at-home updating) likely only affect the manufacturing process, e.g., improvements in the assembly line 'self test' process . . . but do not offer additional or corrected functionality 'in the home'.
_
post #3824 of 3909
Is there anyway to make a custom Wallpaper for the 767
post #3825 of 3909
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedge_10 View Post

Is there anyway to make a custom Wallpaper for the 767

Speak of the devil -- I just came to this thread with the same idea in mind!

It could be done quite easily, actually -- IF the firmware could be restored to its "native" format, rather than the .WAV audio format it's currently in.

Does anyone know how to convert the .WAV firmware into a .BIN or .ROM firmware image? If we can convert it, then we could dig through the code to find where in the firmware it stores the stock background images (like the forest, for example). Then, we could easily swap out replacement images in their places, fitting them in perfectly bit-by-bit.

I actually want to make a background image that's entirely black -- I have my receiver hooked up to a plasma, and when my machine goes to sleep, I don't want an image left on the screen to burn in to the TV. I currently use the flat-gray background, but it would be even better with an all-black one.

But the first problem is converting the firmware image :/

Any ideas?
post #3826 of 3909
It's not quite as easy as you think. If you modify the firmware image the checksum will no longer match, and the firmware will be rejected.

Having said that I do know how to decode the .WAV file on my RX-V1800, modify it, update the checksum, and repackage as a .WAV. I never looked at a 667 firmware file, but I think it uses the same format. I'll check tonight and let you know.

Note that this would only work for models which use the CD update method from a .WAV file, and you need a copy of the original .WAV file (I can't extract it from the receiver itself). The models that update using a .BIN file via USB are different, and use much tougher encryption.
Edited by kriktsemaj99 - 12/3/13 at 6:00am
post #3827 of 3909
I downloaded the latest 667 firmware (ver. 2.05) and the .WAV file format hasn't changed. The files are much bigger now, but most of that seems to be due to the extra bitmaps (the 665 and earlier only had a simple text based GUI). I think that file will work for the 767 as well.

The bitmaps were fairly easy to find and are pretty standard, although they use a non-standard format for the colour palette. I assume the pics below have the correct colours (I extracted them from the firmware file, but I don't have a 667 myself to see what they are supposed to look like).



Not sure where I'm going with this, since I don't have a 667, but in principle I could make a utility to replace bitmaps with an image of your choice (the size would need to be the same 720x480). But it's still a fair amount of work to recreate a valid firmware file, so it's not going to happen immediately (or maybe ever, unless at least a few people are interested in it).
post #3828 of 3909
Just got a blu ray player (I know, took a while). Anyway, one of the settings is for the 1080p 24p HDMI output. The Yamaha shows that as a valid input, but what would it do if my TV is only capable of 1080p 60p? Would there be any advantage of enabling this in the player?
Thanks, in advance to any replies.
post #3829 of 3909
if anyone wants to use their computer directly for a firmware update over spdif here you go:

Download media player classic -hc - http://mpc-hc.org/

Right click on your sound icon in lower right system tray. Go to playback devices. Right click on your spdif output. Go to supported formats tab. Uncheck everything in here but 44.1 kHz and 48.0 kHz. In enhancements tab check disable all sound effects. In advanced tab put it on 2 channel, 24 bit 44100 Hz studio quality. (not sure why this last one was needed but it wouldn't work in 16 bit mode)

In media player classic go to view --> Options. Under internal filters ---> audio switcher. Uncheck enable built-in audio switcher. Then go to internal filters and click on audio decoder button. uncheck everything but 16 bit integer.

You should now be able to play the .wav file correctly as it worked fine for me. To get the 667 into the mode to accept firmware, hold down straight and then power it on with standby button. Then hold down info for about 3 seconds until cdda upgrade shows. You are now ready to play the wave file and start firmware upgrade process. Once the process is complete, it will ask you to power off. Hold straight and power it back on after turning it off then hold tone control for three seconds to see what version of firmware you have
post #3830 of 3909
Yessss! Finally. 2.12 firmware allows 120hz video to work correctly. 2.11 and below firmware does not pass the signal along to the video device. Anyone using 3d vision or a tv that can do 120hz over hdmi can now run it directly through the AVR! Confirmed working with Acer H5360. I also turned off HDMI control in the on screen menu which allows hdmi passthrough to be active. Not sure if this also had something to do with it or not but it's the only other thing I changed.
post #3831 of 3909
For anyone else wondering this, I found out last evening that the BluRay, when set on Auto detects that the TV won't accept the 24p even though the Yamaha does, and sends the 60p signal.
post #3832 of 3909
Wow THX for looking into it I hope more people are intersted in this
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

I downloaded the latest 667 firmware (ver. 2.05) and the .WAV file format hasn't changed. The files are much bigger now, but most of that seems to be due to the extra bitmaps (the 665 and earlier only had a simple text based GUI). I think that file will work for the 767 as well.

The bitmaps were fairly easy to find and are pretty standard, although they use a non-standard format for the colour palette. I assume the pics below have the correct colours (I extracted them from the firmware file, but I don't have a 667 myself to see what they are supposed to look like).



Not sure where I'm going with this, since I don't have a 667, but in principle I could make a utility to replace bitmaps with an image of your choice (the size would need to be the same 720x480). But it's still a fair amount of work to recreate a valid firmware file, so it's not going to happen immediately (or maybe ever, unless at least a few people are interested in it).
post #3833 of 3909
I uploaded (link) a ZIP file containing all the bitmaps from the 667/767 v2.12 firmware (which I believe is the latest version). There are 176 of various sizes, since they include all the icons and other images used in the GUI. The three 720x480 wallpaper pictures are file numbers 173-175. If you unzip them all to their own folder, it's easy to scan through them with Windows picture viewer.

By replacing some or all of the files with different images of the same size, you could create custom skins for the GUI. I'll spend some time over the Christmas break on a utility to put modified bitmaps back into the firmware .wav file. But at this point I'm not guaranteeing when I'll have time to finish it.
post #3834 of 3909
Nice!
post #3835 of 3909

Thank you guys! I was able to update my firmware on my RX-V767 from 2.04 to 2.12 and I used my ps3 with a cd and optical cable to do it.


Edited by RiaanR - 12/27/13 at 4:01am
post #3836 of 3909
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedge_10 View Post

Wow THX for looking into it I hope more people are intersted in this

I'm interested! That's cool!
post #3837 of 3909

Thanks to everyone for all the great advice and tips in this thread.  I have read all 128 pages and taken many notes.

 

I recently purchased a b-stock Yamaha HTR-7063, which as I understand it is equivalent to the RX-V767.

 

The Yamaha site does not seem to contain firmware updates for the HTR-7063.  There doesn't seem to be any info anywhere on the web about firmware for the HTR-7063.

 

Am I correct in assuming that I can update my HTR-7063 firmware using the RX-V767 firmware files? (Using the 'CD optical audio method')

 

Thanks!

post #3838 of 3909
Cmyden2, I'm not sure. Send an email to US Yamaha tech support from their contact us part of the receiver site and ask. Turnaround time is like two business days
post #3839 of 3909
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden2 View Post

Am I correct in assuming that I can update my HTR-7063 firmware using the RX-V767 firmware files? (Using the 'CD optical audio method')

Looking at the firmware .wav file, the same one seems to support the following models:
RX-A700, RX-A800, RX-V667, RX-V767, HTR-6063, HTR-7063

If you try to update with the wrong firmware it just won't be accepted. Also, I wouldn't necessarily update unless the latest version includes a new feature or fix that you need.

And you're not guaranteed to get the right answer first time from Yamaha support. For instance they've been known to say you can't use the US firmware with a European model, when in fact all regions use the same firmware.
Edited by kriktsemaj99 - 1/2/14 at 8:27am
post #3840 of 3909
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post


Looking at the firmware .wav file, the same one seems to support the following models:
RX-A700, RX-A800, RX-V667, RX-V767, HTR-6063, HTR-7073

If you try to update with the wrong firmware it just won't be accepted. Also, I wouldn't necessarily update unless the latest version includes a new feature or fix that you need.

And you're not guaranteed to get the right answer first time from Yamaha support. For instance they've been known to say you can't use the US firmware with a European model, when in fact all regions use the same firmware.

 

Thank you, I contacted Yamaha and asked them if I could upgrade the HTR-7063 using the firmware for RX-V767.

 

Their response:
 

Quote:

Hello,

It is the equivalent to the RXA-800.

Thanks!
YAMAHA AVCARE

 

The latest firmware update for the RXA-800 seems to be 2.06, released in 2011.

 

My gut is telling me one could probably update the HTR-7063 using the firmware I've seen posted in this thread, such as the 2.12 firmware for the RX-V667, released in October 2013, found on this ftp site...

 

Quote:

ftp://216.154.248.26  

 

User name: yecrecvr

Password: Yamaha1

 

I will report back if & when I do try this. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › "Official" Yamaha RX-V667/RX-V767 Thread