or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › 2010 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (738/838 series)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2010 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (738/838 series) - Page 265

post #7921 of 8802
Quote:
Originally Posted by alizerothree View Post

TV finally came in. Impressions:

So the 82 inch was a little more than I bargained for! It's massive, probably way to big for our living room!! :O At the right viewing angle, the picture is phenomenal after a quick calibration, even though I'm used to an over bright- white clipped Toshiba. Forza 3 is very enjoyable and in cockpit view looks lifelike in terms of scale and image!

Recently I've put together a custom build entertainment center from Ikea (2 months old) and really didn't consider the height before thinking about the WD 82738. The height is 29inches, and the TV is way too elevated.
My eyes are basically hitting the lower portion of the TV instead of near the middle of the screen, so half of the top gets a bit dim and out of focus, which is making me pull my hair out. Now I'm just standing up and playing games instead of sitting on the couch. I guess I deserve it, since I should have known better, but this is my first plunge into this kind of stuff. :P

So I've bugged a few people here asking them about stands and I'm praying I can convince my wife to not stress about me replacing this new entertainment center with something much lower, like the Lack stand which sits 13 inches high. I'm hoping I can use the stand and fit my AVR, PS3, DVR, and X360. Wish me luck, and thanks everyone for being so helpful.

I ended up going for the factory Mitsubishi stand, which I picked up at like 65% the price I saw everywhere else. I guess I'm pretty good at Googling for things, people tell me, and I rolled the dice with a retailer I had never heard of called Direct Dial, which turned out to be Canada-based to my surprise.

It was kind of a crazy coincidence, but I ordered my WD-73738 from Amazon (fulfilled by Paul's TV), and the stand ended up coming with the same previously unknown-to-me carrier called Ceva logistics. I couldn't have coordinated it better if I was trying to, but I was really shopping price for everything.
post #7922 of 8802
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT_Laggard View Post

My recommendation is to get a 73738 from Amazon, especially when the price is ~$1,350 again, including white glove shipping. That's what I did and I'm very happy. The money saved from not getting the 73838 can go toward the surround sound system, like I did (in my case Jamo S606HCS3+SUB650).

I'm watching my first Blu-Ray (Fight Club) as I type this. I'm liking it big time so far. I have another S606HCS3 on the way to make a 7.1 setup, upgrade the surrounds and add presence speakers.

I think I am going with the WD-73738. I went to my local TV/Audio store and they had a 73" 640 and 840, but I was mainly looking at the size. I fell in love with the 73" and I stepped off 8 feet and I think 8 foot is perfect for my viewing distance from the 73"!

However, I looked on Amazon and I don't see that they are offering it with white glove. How long ago did you see it on there for that price and with white glove? It also says Waltz has it.
post #7923 of 8802
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddjensen View Post

I think I am going with the WD-73738. I went to my local TV/Audio store and they had a 73" 640 and 840, but I was mainly looking at the size. I fell in love with the 73" and I stepped off 8 feet and I think 8 foot is perfect for my viewing distance from the 73"!

However, I looked on Amazon and I don't see that they are offering it with white glove. How long ago did you see it on there for that price and with white glove? It also says Waltz has it.

I think it has to be listed as Amazon.com as the seller. If you see one that is like that, then the delivery is included and it is a white glove delivery where they take it inside the house, unbox it, and turn it on to make sure it works and you're satisfied. They'll also take the packaging materials if you want them to. If there is a problem, I understand they are supposed to take it back.

Also Amazon offers a 14-day price match on selected websites after the sale, and a 30-day return policy with free return shipping included. Overall it's a nice deal, and the prices have been higher than my purchase since I bought it. I thought I had a valid claim for $50 because I saw Paul's TV had on their website a slightly lower price, with shipping, but when I contacted Amazon they explained that their shipping is white glove which is $150 more from Paul's. We had to clarify with the carrier that it was white glove, as it somehow wasn't in their system to be that way. So, I think it's important to verify and communicate with all parties involved.

Even with the hands-on communication I did, the driver neglected to call me 60 minutes in advance of showing up at my place, which wasn't a big deal but also wasn't what was arranged.

I would say to keep watching Amazon if you can wait. On the other hand, the TV that I was looking at was on closeout as a 2010 model, so quantities are potentially limited. I think the important part is to use your head and not get too excited.

Here's a poor quality pic I just took with my phone (no flash) of me reading this thread. You can make it out but it's a Mitsubishi stand, Yamaha receiver, LG BD, Jamo 5.1 and HP HTPC.
LL
post #7924 of 8802
I noticed that Paul's TV is now selling it for a little less than Walts is. I actually just called Walts and the guy I talked with said he could get me the 73740, so this years model, for roughly 50$ more than he can sell the 73738 for. So now I am wondering if I should just get this years model from Walts?

The Amazon White Glove service would be awesome, it sounds like a pretty sweet deal if it is offered. I will still be waiting a few days because I need to have cash in hand for the two TVs I am selling before I want to purchase this one, but we shall see.

By the way, that TV looks awesome in the picture you posted. You can almost read the text of the forum, very nice!
post #7925 of 8802
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddjensen View Post

I noticed that Paul's TV is now selling it for a little less than Walts is. I actually just called Walts and the guy I talked with said he could get me the 73740, so this years model, for roughly 50$ more than he can sell the 73738 for. So now I am wondering if I should just get this years model from Walts?

The Amazon White Glove service would be awesome, it sounds like a pretty sweet deal if it is offered. I will still be waiting a few days because I need to have cash in hand for the two TVs I am selling before I want to purchase this one, but we shall see.

By the way, that TV looks awesome in the picture you posted. You can almost read the text of the forum, very nice!

I met Miles at Walt's TV in person and considered them for my purchase. He seems like a good guy and if for the extra $50 I'd probably get the newer one, although I've forgotten the difference between the two revisions now. Miles was recommended by name, I think it was in the Amazon reviews for one of the Mitsubishi TVs. He advertises on Craigslist here as well.

I haven't had any problem at all with too much ambient light while watching the DLP, but I do want to get some heavy drapes to have the option of darkening the room.
post #7926 of 8802
"Recently I've put together a custom build entertainment center from Ikea (2 months old) and really didn't consider the height before thinking about the WD 82738. The height is 29inches, and the TV is way too elevated.
My eyes are basically hitting the lower portion of the TV instead of near the middle of the screen, so half of the top gets a bit dim and out of focus, which is making me pull my hair out. Now I'm just standing up and playing games instead of sitting on the couch. I guess I deserve it, since I should have known better, but this is my first plunge into this kind of stuff. :P

So I've bugged a few people here asking them about stands and I'm praying I can convince my wife to not stress about me replacing this new entertainment center with something much lower, like the Lack stand which sits 13 inches high. I'm hoping I can use the stand and fit my AVR, PS3, DVR, and X360. Wish me luck, and thanks everyone for being so helpful."


Just put a small piece of wood under the back side of the tv and tilt it forward ever so slightly - works perfectlly.
post #7927 of 8802
Solved my problem with a brand new stand 16 inches lower! :P Picture looks phenomenal and bright, now when sitting down!

I went with 2 x Lack stands from Ikea. Had to take the feet off my Yamaha RX V667 for it to fit. Very happy now.
LL
LL
post #7928 of 8802
Sorry for another post. I noticed my picture is not centered on screen, is there anyway to adjust or tune this myself?
LL
post #7929 of 8802
Are people experiencing 3D judder with the 738 or 838 series? I am getting them with my 740 series.
post #7930 of 8802
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT_Laggard View Post

I met Miles at Walt's TV in person and considered them for my purchase. He seems like a good guy and if for the extra $50 I'd probably get the newer one, although I've forgotten the difference between the two revisions now. Miles was recommended by name, I think it was in the Amazon reviews for one of the Mitsubishi TVs. He advertises on Craigslist here as well.

I haven't had any problem at all with too much ambient light while watching the DLP, but I do want to get some heavy drapes to have the option of darkening the room.

I bought from him. It was a good experience...
post #7931 of 8802
Spent hours with the geometry adjustments and I can't get the overscan test image to look completely flush on the screen.

Should I call Mits, keep messing with manual geometry tweaks, or send the TV back to Amazon? It's 3 days old. :|
post #7932 of 8802
Quote:
Originally Posted by alizerothree View Post

Spent hours with the geometry adjustments and I can't get the overscan test image to look completely flush on the screen.

Should I call Mits, keep messing with manual geometry tweaks, or send the TV back to Amazon? It's 3 days old. :|

Where can I find more info about these geometry tweaks? My picture seems fine out of the box, but I'm curious as I haven't seen any function to adjust or display that test image.
post #7933 of 8802
Quote:
Originally Posted by alizerothree View Post

Spent hours with the geometry adjustments and I can't get the overscan test image to look completely flush on the screen.

Should I call Mits, keep messing with manual geometry tweaks, or send the TV back to Amazon? It's 3 days old. :|

i dont know if this helps but overscan is normal for DLP tv's.
post #7934 of 8802
So I'm still stuck on whether I should do a 65" or 73". The 73738 is roughly 400-500$ more than the 65" and I was told I could get tge 73740 for about 50$ more than the 73738....

Is it worth the ~500$ more to get the bigger screen size and a year newer?
post #7935 of 8802
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddjensen View Post

So I'm still stuck on whether I should do a 65" or 73". The 73738 is roughly 400-500$ more than the 65" and I was told I could get tge 73740 for about 50$ more than the 73738....

Is it worth the ~500$ more to get the bigger screen size and a year newer?

I think that's a question that only you can answer.
post #7936 of 8802
Gotcha. But what I should have said is that when I look at the pattern, the center of the image bows in slightly and the left and right side of the screen. It's quite noticeable during a 4:3 commercial, when opening the channel guide, or pressing the xbox guide button.
post #7937 of 8802
I hope you realize that the centering adjustments are NOT a part of the geometry adjustment menu. The centering adjustments are the very first screen shown in the service menu labeled in the lower left hand corner of the screen as 1. HVPOS which stands for Horizontal Vertical Position. When this is shown simply use the arrow up / down / left / right keys on the remote. Once adjusted you MUST press Enter to memorize the new adjustment.
post #7938 of 8802
I'm still not sold on needing, or even wanting 3D, but our TV (Mits 738 model) and blu-ray player now have it, and we have DirecTV, which offers ESPN 3D, and my husband has some curiosity to try it out. I wouldn't want to invest much of anything in the glasses so what low-cost glasses is the forum currently recommending, along with a vendor if there's also a forum favorite there.

I've seen some posts, but I know things are changing all the time, so wondered what the current "best buy" 3D glasses for this TV were.
post #7939 of 8802
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP View Post

I hope you realize that the centering adjustments are NOT a part of the geometry adjustment menu. The centering adjustments are the very first screen shown in the service menu labeled in the lower left hand corner of the screen as 1. HVPOS which stands for Horizontal Vertical Position. When this is shown simply use the arrow up / down / left / right keys on the remote. Once adjusted you MUST press Enter to memorize the new adjustment.

Yes, I completely understand. With the HVPOS menu up, I pressed "play" and then "fast forward" to bring up a test image. Adjusting the HVPOS helped me center my overall image because it was positioned too high, and to the left.

How did I noticed this was a problem? I fired up Black Ops, went to options, and selected "safe area" to check. Now the image is much more centered than out-of-the-box.

The only issue I have left is the slight bowing of the vertical lines I mentioned before. I corrected some of it with geometry tweaks, even tried turning off auto geometry correction (1 on the remote).

If I can correct the anomaly, I will be very very ecstatic.
post #7940 of 8802
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanandmark View Post

I'm still not sold on needing, or even wanting 3D, but our TV (Mits 738 model) and blu-ray player now have it, and we have DirecTV, which offers ESPN 3D, and my husband has some curiosity to try it out. I wouldn't want to invest much of anything in the glasses so what low-cost glasses is the forum currently recommending, along with a vendor if there's also a forum favorite there.

I've seen some posts, but I know things are changing all the time, so wondered what the current "best buy" 3D glasses for this TV were.

Out of curiosity, are any one of you into gaming? The 3d in certain games is wonderful, and has made my wife into a fan as well. I too was skeptical, and mainly purchased the Mits for screen size. Just based on gaming, I am sold.

Titles I have tried so far:
Gears 3, Black Ops, Killzone 3, Resistance 3, Stardust HD, Motorstorm, God of War

I can only image what experience a 3d movie will give us. Hope this helps a bit.
post #7941 of 8802
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddjensen View Post

So I'm still stuck on whether I should do a 65" or 73". The 73738 is roughly 400-500$ more than the 65" and I was told I could get tge 73740 for about 50$ more than the 73738....

Is it worth the ~500$ more to get the bigger screen size and a year newer?

I would stay away from the 2011 series 740/840 because they are having problems with 3D judder and Mitsu is in the dark about it. The 2010 series don't have this issue. Trust me, I have a 740 series and have been dealing with this.
post #7942 of 8802
mitsubishi recently sent me the upgrade, and while i expected one memory stick, two came. there were no instructions about why 2 were sent. i installed one and the set indicates that the upgrade is now installed. what, if anything, is the other memory stick for and should i install it as well?
post #7943 of 8802
No, 12.08 is the latest version.
post #7944 of 8802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbear View Post

I would stay away from the 2011 series 740/840 because they are having problems with 3D judder and Mitsu is in the dark about it. The 2010 series don't have this issue. Trust me, I have a 740 series and have been dealing with this.

Lbear

I appreciate your response. I wills say that I am not sold on the 3D stuff yet, so when deciding which TV to go with I am honestly not even taking the 3D components into account. With that said, I do want to purchase a TV that has the ability to support 3D, and do it well, in the case that 3D really takes off. So my question for you, being you have 740, is how would you compare the the 738 vs the 740 setting aside the 3D?
post #7945 of 8802
65738 Sale: 878.64 plus shipping pcrichard if your in the market
post #7946 of 8802
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

I think that's a question that only you can answer.

Wrong. It's a question I can answer-buy the 73"!
post #7947 of 8802
Hey guys, I seem to have another variation on the HDMI handshake issue. I have my dvr, PS3 and X360 all hooked up to my two-month-old 65738 via HDMI. The 360's audio is running through optical to my Yamaha receiver, while the other two have their audio going to the 738 via HDMI and then to the receiver via digital coax.

The PS3 usually works fine but sometimes loses audio. Everything's ok on the menus, but I've found two games (Super Stardust HD and Darksiders) that lose all audio once the game starts. If this happens and I switch to the DVR it will also be missing audio. If I switch to the 360 the audio's fine. The problem always originates with the PS3 and can only be fixed by powering down the TV, waiting for the click of the lamp shutting down several minutes later, then turning the TV back on. If I turn the TV back on during the window before the lamp cuts out the audio will still be missing when the TV comes back up. (As an odd aside, the Darksiders music does play when I highlight the game's icon on the main PS3 menu. I only mention it because that music does stream from the disc, so it's not any kind of disc-read issue with the PS3 itself.)

In addition, Darksiders will sometimes present me with a black screen instead of booting, after which the TV does the shut-off/blinking green light other people have encountered. When I go back to the PS3 after turning the TV back on I'll have picture from the game, but of course still no audio. And sometimes if I attempt to change inputs away from the PS3 with one of the problem games running I'll get the same shutdown problem.

So is this a mainboard issue? Why are only certain games causing it? The only other disc-based PS3 game I've played on the new TV is Dante's Inferno, which played flawlessly. I thought maybe the resolution was causing some kind of weird handshake hiccup but they're both 720p. I have about five or six other PSN games which all work with no problem. The PS3 has also been fine for BD playback and Netflix/Hulu streaming. I've considered just running the audio for the PS3 to the receiver through optical but that seems like it might just be a band-aid, especially since I sometimes have the black screen issues. Any ideas? Time to make a service call?
post #7948 of 8802
well i finally got my 65738 today and looks pretty nice after tweaking the settings. however the geometry sucks, at the top it bows downward in the middle about 1/2 in. from what the sides of the top are in the test patterns, looks pretty bad., so this causes the screen to pincushion in the middle. the bottom is good except a little bowing of 4:3 side bars at the bottom. so i dont know, i really dont want to adjust the geo as it messes with the resolution. also it has about 5% overscan little too much IMO. also looks like convergence errors at the top also, weird, dont know what that is. does anyone know?

but i like the picture overall, but dont know if the geo problem will bother me long term. i also see the RBE, but not too bad and mostly when shifting my eyes.
post #7949 of 8802
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddjensen View Post

Lbear

I appreciate your response. I wills say that I am not sold on the 3D stuff yet, so when deciding which TV to go with I am honestly not even taking the 3D components into account. With that said, I do want to purchase a TV that has the ability to support 3D, and do it well, in the case that 3D really takes off. So my question for you, being you have 740, is how would you compare the the 738 vs the 740 setting aside the 3D?

They are both pretty close in regards to picture quality, depending on the calibration, one set can look slightly better than the other. The only difference between the model is the 3D setup. The 740 series have a built-in IR emitter, with the 738 series you have to buy an external IR emitter.

It's getting harder to find the 738 series as they are last years model and no longer in production. Inventory is very slim on the 738/838 series.
post #7950 of 8802
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

. also looks like convergence errors at the top also, weird, dont know what that is. does anyone know?

Are you talking about the picture on the extreme top and bottom, where it develops a tiny bar that that goes horizontally? This is only seen when the picture is compressed with the black bars on top an bottom?

If so, I have seen this with ALL TV's, even plasma and LCD. It's minor but I don't know what causes it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rear Projection Units
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Rear Projection Units › 2010 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (738/838 series)